Why are Gem Store items removed?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kam.4092

Kam.4092

There have been so many that have been removed over the time of the game. Wouldn’t Arena Net make more money? I hate seeing all the past items that I’ve missed. I would buy them so quick if it were possible.

:/

Posted by: wouw.5837

wouw.5837

I would buy them so quick if it were possible.

That’s the reason.

They take items out to make you buy the next series of items, so you won’t miss out. If they decide to put the old items back in, you will buy them immediately.

Elona is Love, Elona is life.

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

To create a feeling that you need to buy them before they are gone.

Also the gemstore is already cluttered, remove old inventory and put in new.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

• Artificial scarcity: as mentioned above, people are more inclined to buy stuff if it’s not always available.
  • Clutter: people are also more likely to buy stuff if it’s easier to find via browsing. The more stuff there is (even divided nicely across tabs/categories), the less likely people will find it, reducing impulse purchasing.
  • Perceived value: items that aren’t always around are perceived to hold more value. If everyone has something, people tend to devalue it and are less likely to buy or be satisfied with their purchase if they do.

Most large businesses do something similar:

• New cars each year, even though they are largely the same as the previous year.
  • New iPhone every year. Same with pretty much any electronic device.
John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

There’s a few reasons.

Some were removed because changes to the game made them obsolete, like the individual town clothes (e.g. causal hoodie) or the instant trait reset item. (These ones will almost certainly never come back.)

Some are seasonal items that are only sold at the appropriate time of year, like the Halloween and Wintersday themed items.

I don’t have a definite source for this but I suspect some were removed simply because they didn’t sell well, and/or generated too many complaints relative to sales and Anet found a less controversial way of doing the same thing. For example based on drop-rate reports (680 for the Wintersday mystery box vs. 364 for the rich dragon coffer) and anecdotal evidence the themed RNG boxes got progressively less popular and were eventually replaced with black lion tickets.

And finally, as some people have already said some are removed temporarily and then brought back later because too much on offer at once would make it hard to find the things you want and because people who are undecided on whether to buy are more likely to go for it if they won’t have the opportunity later.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Because it’s much easier to worry about things you can’t have, then care about things you can get all the time.

They understand this all too well.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.