Why are Guild Enhancements HoT only?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Frank.7452

Frank.7452

If Guild Enhancements were meant to replace our 24-72 hour upgrades after they were taken away, why did you restrict them to Heart of Thorns players?

I have non-HoT guild members that have contributed towards unlocking upgrades, and they’re disheartened now that they can’t get the buffs. There is literally nothing in the guild hall for them.

It’s not acceptable that features that kept players in the guild were removed from the game, then replaced with equivalent content that is locked behind the expansion. Your choice to do that has made these players holding out on the expansion more likely to quit playing, as we can’t be certain what you’re going to take away and lock behind the next expansion.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

to sell the expansion?

Posted by: Ehra.5240

Ehra.5240

to sell the expansion?

“Buy back access to content that we removed from the base game” wasn’t an advertised feature (for 100% obvious reasons), so the idea that this helped sell copies of the game is dubious at best.

The simple fact is that this was a terrible decision and it just makes Anet look like they’re not confident enough in their product for it to sell without resorting to underhanded practices like this, along with nerfing Fractals rewards then letting us improve them again with masteries. And it’s just completely unnecessary, the game is good enough to sell on its own merits. And I’m surprised people haven’t made a bigger deal out of this; Destiny locked people out of doing their dailies unless they bought the expansion and the internet absolutely flipped out.

Between stuff like this and the whole “Oh, new players totally need the base game to play the expansion and so we’re going to put the game on sale. Surprise! The expansion actually comes with the base game bundled in, and now all of you new players who bought the game under that pretense need to pay full price for an expansion now!” fiasco, Anet has engaged in a surprising amount of anti-consumer practices lately. I would have never expected this sort of thing from the same company that made GW1.

(edited by Ehra.5240)

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

There is literally nothing in the guild hall for them.

What about the arena?

Posted by: Snow.2048

Snow.2048

There is literally nothing in the guild hall for them.

What about the arena?

It may be possible (I haven’t seen any tests), but I know for sure a red post stated before HoT even came out that f2p would not be able to enter the guild arena

Posted by: xxTOFFEL.8415

xxTOFFEL.8415

I fully agree with the comments here. I understand that anet wants to sell the expansion but I’m shocked about their actions. I think its the first time that anet changed old content just to make the new content look more appealing! Veterans without the expansion feel cheated.

Thats very disappointing. Why should I buy the expansion anyway? I heard too much bad things so i will stay away from it. I will stay away from the increased requirements to craft things, from the endless grinding, from the need for more inventory space because anet creates more and more loot, boxes, crates, keys, chests, tonics, consumables, mats whatever you call them. You spend a lot of time just with sorting stuff transfer between chars, bank, guild vault …

(edited by xxTOFFEL.8415)

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

It’s quite a bad trend I say.

It’s much like how fractal rewards are gated behind stuff and then masquerading as new content.

If you kept what you had, and could only access extra bonuses in the expansion, I’d understand, but I do feel somewhat bad for people that didn’t buy the expansion and thus got locked out of things they had previously. I mean buying the expansion to play as a revenant or as a dragonhunter— that comes with the territory of the expansion. But buying the expansion to get stuff you already had doesn’t feel right.

It honestly feels like kind of a paywall.

And FYI, I have the expansion, which I bought for new features and to support the game itself.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Auralae.7482

Auralae.7482

Manipulative attempt to get more money, and one that lumps people who’ve hundreds on the game in the same category as someone who has spent nothing. Some people just aren’t interested in HoT content right now. I’m one of them and, frankly, I’m annoyed at some of the things they did to try and push people into buying HoT. Maybe I’ll pick it up some day, but I have other content in game that keeps me busy and would rather spend my cash on gemstore convenience items right now rather than the xpac. The rest of my family (who make up 3/5 of my guild) has bought HoT because content in it interested them. I’ve given as much money to Anet, but lose out just because it’s not being spent on the right thing. Honestly, it sucks.

Posted by: karik.8293

karik.8293

A good expansion will sell itself,no need to nerf everything from the world zones.
Obviously anet didnt have much faith in the expansion they sold people.

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

… it just makes Anet look like they’re not confident enough in their product for it to sell without resorting to underhanded practices like this…

And based on the expansion contents alone that did not have some kind of impact on the base game (loot nerfs, WvW mode changes, etc.), if you were releasing this product, would you have any kind of confidence in the product?

I know for kitten ed sure I wouldn’t. Putting the content delivered behind the cost it’s priced… it’s almost an insult to the original developer efforts of the base game, as though that kind of content should be treated as sub-par or the new content as being so much better, when in all honesty, we paid for a few new skills, grindy mechanics, almost no new skins, and some cool maps that lead to some enjoyment before getting bored of staring at the same locations.

ANet had to change existing systems drastically to make sure they could hype the release as a big deal when in reality the explicitly new experience is almost minimal.

It also gives them an excuse to not release new content while “tweaking” and iterating over clearly-flawed design, further cutting costs and capitalizing on screwing over their customers.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Oh. This thread again. Mods, can we get a merge here?

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ