Why are NA and EU servers separated ?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Artasqweroldy.7458

Artasqweroldy.7458

Q:

I think gameplay whise that separation dont makes sense since the Megaserver-System, i can understand that WvW should stay separated because of the time-zones and the Importance of Coverage in WvW, but besides the internal structure of Anets servers i dont see a reason why NA and EU servers should be separated…

Please Anet, allow me to play with my EU friends while being on an NA server, because i can not afford 2000 Gems a Week for transfer costs…

Humans arenĀ“t real

Posted by: Asyntyche.4827

Asyntyche.4827

Could be to ensure players have a low ping to the server.

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

GW1 was separated also.

It has to with lag – since having one server would guarantee lag for EU players.

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

It’s to avoid latency issues. If you put all of the data in the US, the players in EU end up with very high latency. If you put all the data in the EU, you end up with players in the US having a very high latency. And the difference can be fairly large, going from <100ms to >300ms easily.

And if you put it in the exact middle between the two, you end up in the ocean.

Posted by: Morbridae.8607

Morbridae.8607

Technnical issues apart, another thing to take on account is the time frame. America and Europe have different time frames, and is difficult to the default player from one side to play with the default player from the other. I had a guildie from Spain that, literally, allways went to bed 30 minutes after we entered to the game, and that only because he waited for us.

Splitting the servers keep the population on -roughly- the same time frame, so that you have more chances to find your guildies (and your server) awake when you get ingame.

Morbridae (Norn Necromancer)
@ Sorrow’s Furnace (VE)