Why are all events on a locked timer?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Winterbay.1785

Winterbay.1785

As a, pretty casual, player with playtime limited to specific times of day (30-60 minutes before work and an hour or so in the evening when kids are asleep and wife is watching some series I have quite often been sad to see the big events being on the same time every day.

Would it be possible to get the events on a rotating schedule instead so even though you log in on the same time each day you can still have a chance to participate in all events?

As an example of my situation, I’ve been able to play Tequatl once since launch when I got some extra playtime…

Posted by: Kreejaffa.3682

Kreejaffa.3682

World bosses used to be almost completely random when they happened, but were changed to this new system so more people could make it to them on a regular basis. Honestly, I think this system works better for the majority of people.

I know that sucks for the few like you that cannot make them on a regular basis, but for the majority of players, this seems to work best, so it is unlikely it would be changed.

Kreejaffa [Ferguson’s Crossing]
Leader of Looking For Gandalf [LFG]
Worst Commander of Ferguson’s Crossing (Self Proclaimed)

Posted by: Moyayuki.3619

Moyayuki.3619

As a, pretty casual, player with playtime limited to specific times of day (30-60 minutes before work and an hour or so in the evening when kids are asleep and wife is watching some series I have quite often been sad to see the big events being on the same time every day.

Would it be possible to get the events on a rotating schedule instead so even though you log in on the same time each day you can still have a chance to participate in all events?

As an example of my situation, I’ve been able to play Tequatl once since launch when I got some extra playtime…

I can’t say anything in regards to the events, but world bosses such as Teq always run at exactly the same time every day. Teq usually is best to do during the Daily reset. You can find websites that show boss timers for specific servers.

Server: Dragonbrand
Guild: Moonlit Renegades (Moon)
Highest-Level Toon: Markus Emmerich, 80 Human Scrapper

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I realise this isn’t an ideal solution but considering the bosses are on the same schedule 7 days a week, and the timings are listed online couldn’t you make time to do them on one of the days when you’re not working?

It might take some planning but it should be possible. Maybe explain to your wife in advance that there’s a particular thing you want to do which only happens at certain times of the day so you want to make sure you’re on the computer when it happens and ask her to help organise things so you have that time free.

Or just arrange things yourself. Like today I got out of work a bit early and I knew my husband was going to be busy all evening so I made sure I was doing something easy for dinner (and luckily it was my night to cook instead of wash up) which left me plenty of time to do the entire Dragon’s Stand meta-event.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Moyayuki.3619

Moyayuki.3619

I realise this isn’t an ideal solution but considering the bosses are on the same schedule 7 days a week, and the timings are listed online couldn’t you make time to do them on one of the days when you’re not working?

It might take some planning but it should be possible. Maybe explain to your wife in advance that there’s a particular thing you want to do which only happens at certain times of the day so you want to make sure you’re on the computer when it happens and ask her to help organise things so you have that time free.

Or just arrange things yourself. Like today I got out of work a bit early and I knew my husband was going to be busy all evening so I made sure I was doing something easy for dinner (and luckily it was my night to cook instead of wash up) which left me plenty of time to do the entire Dragon’s Stand meta-event.

At least the world bosses (minus Teq in some cases) are pretty quick, so once you commit to a day and time, it won’t take up too much time. It’s all about figuring out what works for each individual’s circumstances. Honestly, I am really glad that bosses are on a set timer, even if it’s frustrating when I log in and a boss won’t spawn again for another hour and a half. :P

Server: Dragonbrand
Guild: Moonlit Renegades (Moon)
Highest-Level Toon: Markus Emmerich, 80 Human Scrapper

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Because due to the megasever system and how events that aren’t on fixed timers work. If they weren’t on fixed timers, it may be very hard to find maps with active world bosses as the maps don’t spawn at the start of the window. They act as if the boss was just defeated.

So in order to let the world bosses actually spawn with any amount of regularity, they have to spawn at specific server times.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Because due to the megasever system and how events that aren’t on fixed timers work. If they weren’t on fixed timers, it may be very hard to find maps with active world bosses as the maps don’t spawn at the start of the window. They act as if the boss was just defeated.

So in order to let the world bosses actually spawn with any amount of regularity, they have to spawn at specific server times.

Not entirely Seera. There’s been days where I’ve gotten to teq late, as in “it’s started already” late, and have hopped onto a brandspankingnew map that started teh teq meta event nearly 10 minutes late. I BELIEVE that as long as a fresh map spawns within the event’s natural time, those maps will spawn the event even if it’s say, XX:14.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Not entirely Seera. There’s been days where I’ve gotten to teq late, as in “it’s started already” late, and have hopped onto a brandspankingnew map that started teh teq meta event nearly 10 minutes late. I BELIEVE that as long as a fresh map spawns within the event’s natural time, those maps will spawn the event even if it’s say, XX:14.

A window of 15 minutes starting from a specific time is still a specific time.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

I can’t say anything in regards to the events, but world bosses such as Teq always run at exactly the same time every day.

And those times are “When the OP is not available to play, with no chance of never NOT being a time the OP can never play” It doesn’t matter how ‘best’ the Reset Teq is to do if the OP cannot be playing at reset.

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

The game can’t cater to everyone all the time. Having them at set times means people can plan for them. You have to do laundry? Do it before X hour for Y event? Going out shopping, well, try to be home 15 minutes before Z event starts.

Sometimes if you are so casual you are barely on, you don’t get to do everything in the game. That’s life sometimes.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Posted by: Hesacon.8735

Hesacon.8735

Silverwastes is a meta that isn’t on a schedule and it happens when a map is ready. I think that might be the only big one that isn’t on a timer.

Posted by: Ranael.6423

Ranael.6423

I always wonder if the system is better like it is now or if the cycle of WB and maps would be better on a 23 hours period. In the second case, everything would be one hour shifted every day and since these events have a repeat cycle of more or less 3 hours, it would not be that disturbing. It is true that if you are playing on the same hours everyday, the cycle of available events is everyday the same. In my case, I always wonder if I should start this next DS because it is already late, and in the end I play the map less often than I’d like to.
On the other hand, it is easier for groups to organise events if the time is fixed.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

The 23 hours would work for me, as would having different fixed times each day, but ideally there would be a way to view the schedule in-game.

Actually, there should be a way to view the schedule in-game with the current system too. It’s daft having to tab out of the game to view the schedule on a website.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

The 23 hours would work for me, as would having different fixed times each day, but ideally there would be a way to view the schedule in-game.

Actually, there should be a way to view the schedule in-game with the current system too. It’s daft having to tab out of the game to view the schedule on a website.

I believe there are overlays one can use, if one should be so inclined. No need to tab out, then. Or, use one of the many apps on one’s phone/tablet/etc.

Good luck.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I believe there are overlays one can use, if one should be so inclined. No need to tab out, then. Or, use one of the many apps on one’s phone/tablet/etc.

Good luck.

Yeah, but surely there should be a way in-game to find the same info. A diary, calendar or book. Or an NPC you could ask/bribe/beg/whatever.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

How about a new panel in your hero panel where they have a timer page like the one on this site. Event Timers. You click on the hero panel, go to timers and there it is.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I don’t know. I think I would find seeking out an NPC just as inconvenient, if not more so, than tabbing out to the Wiki (which is what I use for a timer). At least I can consult the Wiki from anywhere in Tyria. =)

If the Devs want to add some kind of in-game information display, fantastic! I’d wonder if it would have to be separate like the TP (a kind of browser thingy); mine is a bit slow (again, I can tab out faster than I can load the TP…lol).

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I don’t know. I think I would find seeking out an NPC just as inconvenient, if not more so, than tabbing out to the Wiki (which is what I use for a timer). At least I can consult the Wiki from anywhere in Tyria. =)

If the Devs want to add some kind of in-game information display, fantastic! I’d wonder if it would have to be separate like the TP (a kind of browser thingy); mine is a bit slow (again, I can tab out faster than I can load the TP…lol).

I was thinking the same. Having to go to a specific location to speak to an NPC would be more annoying for me than having to use a separate window to check the Wiki. Especially since half the time I only think about world bosses when I’m in the area where they spawn.

They could add a tab in-game I suppose, maybe on the Hero panel. But I don’t have any problem having my browser open at the same time as the game so I’m also happy with the current system.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

People like playing the way it is now: bus schedule simulator.

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

I would think all they would have to do is apply the once a [time limit] element and then make the event hourly. For instance you can only get certain rewards once a day no matter how many times you kill whatever it is you’re killing so you just add a secondary element that makes it so the boss only drops loot once every X hours per account and just run the boss hourly.

It has the same effect without all the coordination issues.