Why are all new Armor sets Gem Store only?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: adubb.2453

adubb.2453

First of all, I get that people are upset about the reskinned T3 armor (despite the fact that it costs just as much, if not more then actual T3 if you were to pay enough gold to have 800 gems). This thread is not for that discussion.

My question to the developers is why are there so many armor sets coming out on the Gem Store only? I get that the game needs to continue making money, but I would love it if we could get some new armor sets that were attainable through other means. Means that feel more fulfilling then just “I gave Arena Net my money.”

Some ideas I’ve been thinking up on ways to do this:
Dragon/World Boss Armor – I play on Devona’s Rest server which, despite being a “high population” server, struggles to get enough people to even finish Jormag a lot of times. Not to mention I don’t think we’ve ever downed Tequatl. Why not give people a renewed incentive to take down world bosses? Have each world boss drop the occasional “scale” or some kind of unique item that could then be used to purchase, or even craft their own world boss specific armor. Shatterer armor, anyone? Ice themed Jormag armor? GIMME!

Fractal Armor – Come on, this is as legit dungeon, right? It doesn’t have to be ascended armor, but something to match the fractal weapons would be great! It might give me something to spend all those Fractal Relics on.

Male/Female version toggle – I must admit, while I get that the ladies are supposed to be “sexy” or whatever, I don’t necessarily want to my character to be showing off her underboob all the time, when a male character gets, IMO, a much better look from the exact same set. Example of what I mean: Male / Female.

Heroic Dungeons – Look, I love dungeons. I think they’re one of my favorite parts of this game, honestly. But many of them have become horribly boring and very easy. I thought Aetherblade path was a good start to refreshing TA. Granted, it’s a bit long, but I like the difficulty curve. I feel awesome everytime I finish it. Why not make a more difficult path for every dungeon that would drop unique tokens that could then be used to buy new, more epic looking armor?

(edited by adubb.2453)

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Sales are dropping drastically every single quarter since launch and I wouldn’t be surprised if the armor sets are some of their biggest sellers. I don’t think they have a choice.

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

First of all, I get that people are upset about the reskinned T3 armor (despite the fact that it costs just as much, if not more then actual T3 if you were to pay enough gold to have 800 gems). This thread is not for that discussion.

My question to the developers is why are there so many armor sets coming out on the Gem Store only? I get that the game needs to continue making money, but I would love it if we could get some new armor sets that were attainable through other means. Means that feel more fulfilling then just “I gave Arena Net my money.”

Some ideas I’ve been thinking up on ways to do this:
Dragon/World Boss Armor – I play on Devona’s Rest server which, despite being a “high population” server, struggles to get enough people to even finish Jormag a lot of times. Not to mention I don’t think we’ve ever downed Tequatl. Why not give people a renewed incentive to take down world bosses? Have each world boss drop the occasional “scale” or some kind of unique item that could then be used to purchase, or even craft their own world boss specific armor. Shatterer armor, anyone? Ice themed Jormag armor? GIMME!

Fractal Armor – Come on, this is as legit dungeon, right? It doesn’t have to be ascended armor, but something to match the fractal weapons would be great! It might give me something to spend all those Fractal Relics on.

Male/Female version toggle – I must admit, while I get that the ladies are supposed to be “sexy” or whatever, I don’t necessarily want to my character to be showing off her underboob all the time, when a male character gets, IMO, a much better look from the exact same set. Example of what I mean: Male / Female.

Agree with wanting new non gemstore armor sets (though we have gotten armor pieces here and there).

One detail, though… the gemstore version doesn’t cost roughtly the same by far. Buying 800 gems with today’s prices (checkign gw2spidy, not at home so can’t get into the game) would be roughly 70g…. a far cry from 120g you’d need to buy the full T3 set + 16g to get 200 gems to purchase enough transmutation crystals to apply the skins to exotic gear, and that’s for what some consider a cooler version because of the flames (not me, but I’ve never liked flamey armor).

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: ophidic.1279

ophidic.1279

They still have the Chinese release yet, don’t they? That’ll be bonkers for a while.

Elyl Jrend

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

Actually if they added Token type rewards to Fractals to be spent on Ascended Armor and Infusions, I would actually DO Fractals.

The main reason you aren’t getting much for new in-game armor skins is they aren’t adding that many new armor stats that often. Skins are a way for them to monetize the game, probably one of the best methods. The boosters and many other items in the store are junk, IMO. Others are one shot, like bank expansions, inventory expansions, character slots. You aren’t spending often on these items. New armor skins have a bigger turnover and, typically, a bigger price-point.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Sales are dropping drastically every single quarter since launch and I wouldn’t be surprised if the armor sets are some of their biggest sellers. I don’t think they have a choice.

Yep and a number of us have been saying for a long while that this is the way to go with the gem store, albeit armor skins not reskins of existing in game armor, rather than trying to force players to buy gems to exchange for gold or with the stupid RNG black lion crap.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

adubb.2453

Agree with wanting new non gemstore armor sets (though we have gotten armor pieces here and there).

One detail, though… the gemstore version doesn’t cost roughtly the same by far. Buying 800 gems with today’s prices (checkign gw2spidy, not at home so can’t get into the game) would be roughly 70g…. a far cry from 120g you’d need to buy the full T3 set + 16g to get 200 gems to purchase enough transmutation crystals to apply the skins to exotic gear, and that’s for what some consider a cooler version because of the flames (not me, but I’ve never liked flamey armor).

Actually, the current exchange rate is 8g 8s per 100 gems (if you were to convert money → gems) so it would cost about 91g to buy the gem store version. Granted it’s cheaper, but not that much cheaper.

Anyway, that wasn’t really my concern. I just know that Arena Net is trying to give more paths to obtaining different things. I was wondering more if this translated to armor skins as well, or if armor skins will remain a gem store only item.

Posted by: Thobek.1730

Thobek.1730

I get that the game needs to continue making money

You answered you own question. They need to make money. You can work towards these ingame by making gold through dungeons, events, LS, Fractals etc, converting gold to gems and there is your armour. case closed.

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

Gotta make that money Bro. This is more or less how it’s been since launch. No worries though the Dec patch has you covered with new craftable ascended armor.

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

Actually, the current exchange rate is 8g 8s per 100 gems (if you were to convert money -> gems) so it would cost about 91g to buy the gem store version. Granted it’s cheaper, but not that much cheaper.

Anyway, that wasn’t really my concern. I just know that Arena Net is trying to give more paths to obtaining different things. I was wondering more if this translated to armor skins as well, or if armor skins will remain a gem store only item.

8.08 × 8 (for 800 gems) = 64.64 = 64g 64s
Vs.
119g for full T3 + 8.08 × 2 (for enough T. crystals) = 135,16 = 135g 16s

Buying it with gems isn’t even half the price of buying the actual T3 set.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

adubb.2453

Me no do math gud. Sorry about that. Anyway, good news! T3 Human light armor is (temporarily) cheaper then before! Merry Christmas!

Posted by: Right Toe Of Grenth.4032

Right Toe Of Grenth.4032

Please reskin every GW1 mesmer armor .. I will buy every single one of them :c

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

Because people kept complaining about too much town clothes and not enough armor in the gem store. Be careful what you wish for (personally I saw this coming all along when people kept foolishly requesting more armor in the gem store).

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

adubb.2453

Honestly, I don’t mind that there are some armor sets/town clothes in the gem store. I just wish there were a balance of some kind. Why couldn’t they make this fiery T3 Cultural armor something you could buy with gold? An alternate version?

I fear this thread has gotten away from me and this will go unanswered from anyone in a position to comment on the issue, but if anyone’s listening who can do something about this: Please change this. I really love Guild Wars 2, it’s honestly my favorite MMO I’ve ever played. But the sheer volume of skins available on the gem store only, combined with the lack of substantial, meaty content (both story wise and cosmetically) in the game is concerning.

Maybe this less a plea to change just the armor sets and more a plea to add more end-game content. Fractured is a good step (finally some permanent content!) but please give us more. I would GLADLY trade the seemingly non-stop parade of uninteresting Scarlett chases for slightly less frequent, but more meaty patches.

Referring back to my original post: I’d love to see things like Heroic Dungeons, change up the world bosses, make the more interesting/more dynamic. Make them effect the whole zone, or even the surrounding zones. More craftable armor that people actually wanted to wear.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Why couldn’t they make this fiery T3 Cultural armor something you could buy with gold?

They did. You can.

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

You are missing the point Ashen. By putting all these armors in the gem store they are inflating the gold to gem conversion ratio. If they put the armor for sale for gold only, there would be more demand for gold and less for gems, decreasing the gold to gem conversion ratio. But of course we can’t have that because it hurts Anet’s bottom line.

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

Posted by: hannahwho.2859

hannahwho.2859

Boss theme armor would be awesome.

Yes, i am a ranger that mains a longbow. Problem?

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

It would. I’d be tempted to do world bosses again if this happened. Even if its a small chance at a random piece.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

adubb.2453

It would. I’d be tempted to do world bosses again if this happened. Even if its a small chance at a random piece.

Exactly what I’m saying! It’d be great to see a reinfusion of people doing world bosses (at least on low pop servers like Devona’s Rest.

Seeing as how it’s apparently possible to just re-skin old armors, I wonder if it would be possible to perhaps make an artifice recipe/special dye that would allow us to dye our armor with new “effects” themed around the different types of combo fields . Fire, Ice, Water, Dark, etc. Gah, that’d be awesome.

Posted by: hannahwho.2859

hannahwho.2859

Exactly what I’m saying! It’d be great to see a reinfusion of people doing world bosses (at least on low pop servers like Devona’s Rest.

Seeing as how it’s apparently possible to just re-skin old armors, I wonder if it would be possible to perhaps make an artifice recipe/special dye that would allow us to dye our armor with new “effects” themed around the different types of combo fields . Fire, Ice, Water, Dark, etc. Gah, that’d be awesome.

Definitely!! Imagine how cool shatter armor or shadow behemoth armor would look! Just for examples.

Yes, i am a ranger that mains a longbow. Problem?

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Definitely!! Imagine how cool shatter armor or shadow behemoth armor would look! Just for examples.

Well, that’s three of us

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Toxophile.6215

Toxophile.6215

I wish ANet would adopt a subscriber option to pay for the game. ToR does it pretty well, but their F2P is way more restrictive than GW2. If I could pay $15 a month to get an ‘allowance’ of 1,000 gems a months, plus some other minor perks like reduced prices in the gem market, I would. I actually am starting to dislike the requirement for F2P games populate their paid market with ‘cool’ stuff so people will send the company money. ANet charges about 50% too much for most everything on the gem market anyway. Let the F2P people pay regular over-priced amount, and subscribers get it for 50% off. THat being said, I haven’t felt any particular desire to buy anything off the gem market in a long time. I got the character slot and inventory stuff I wanted, and dipped my toe in the completely stupid RNG ANet loves so much a single time (dye), and said enough. Hell, I don’t even bother with RNG buying dye’s with laurels. It’s a sucker play. I guess they are happy with the people who pay. They still haven’t caught on to the reality that they will make MORE money if they reduce the cost of gem store stuff when a LOT more people buy.

Posted by: Immensus.9732

Immensus.9732

I wish ANet would adopt a subscriber option to pay for the game. ToR does it pretty well, but their F2P is way more restrictive than GW2. If I could pay $15 a month to get an ‘allowance’ of 1,000 gems a months, plus some other minor perks like reduced prices in the gem market, I would. I actually am starting to dislike the requirement for F2P games populate their paid market with ‘cool’ stuff so people will send the company money. ANet charges about 50% too much for most everything on the gem market anyway. Let the F2P people pay regular over-priced amount, and subscribers get it for 50% off. THat being said, I haven’t felt any particular desire to buy anything off the gem market in a long time. I got the character slot and inventory stuff I wanted, and dipped my toe in the completely stupid RNG ANet loves so much a single time (dye), and said enough. Hell, I don’t even bother with RNG buying dye’s with laurels. It’s a sucker play. I guess they are happy with the people who pay. They still haven’t caught on to the reality that they will make MORE money if they reduce the cost of gem store stuff when a LOT more people buy.

Yeah i would subscribe for that for sure!

Mesmers Shall Rule Tyria!