Why are banners poofing on diconnect/log out?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Spook.5847

Spook.5847

Bug, or new “feature” to go with all the other improvements introduced with HoT?

Nothing in the banner descriptions stating other than that they last 30 minutes.

But they don’t.

edit to link the official wiki: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_banner

(edited by Spook.5847)

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

There has been a few threads in the bugs section asking the same thing in. Not any responses from Anet.

Posted by: Spook.5847

Spook.5847

There has been a few threads in the bugs section asking the same thing in. Not any responses from Anet.

Yeah; thought I’d check with the players, since there’s more collective knowledge, and a greater likelihood of reply. I will go ahead and submit a ticket for the two that poofed, i guess.

Posted by: Trise.2865

Trise.2865

So you placed a banner in a specific location, then logged out or otherwise disconnected, and when you got back, the banner was gone?

Assuming this was in a PvE area, it sounds like a district issue to me. As part of the “megaserver” system, maps have parallel instances, but objects placed in those instances (such as guild banners) are unique. The map instance you were in originally, where you placed the banner, was probably either full or closed upon your re-log, so you automatically entered a different one, where there was no banner. This is particularly troublesome in high-density maps, such as the main cities and Lion’s Arch.

Despairingly, yet fittingly, the system does not seem to recognize objects placed by a guild as guild members when determining zone placement. However, several guildies can “anchor” for you, that is, stay in the particular zone where you placed the banner. That way, if you disconnect or relog, the system will prioritize that instance over others of the same map and/or allow your guild to “join your friend” back into it.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

So you placed a banner in a specific location, then logged out or otherwise disconnected, and when you got back, the banner was gone?

Assuming this was in a PvE area, it sounds like a district issue to me. As part of the “megaserver” system, maps have parallel instances, but objects placed in those instances (such as guild banners) are unique. The map instance you were in originally, where you placed the banner, was probably either full or closed upon your re-log, so you automatically entered a different one, where there was no banner. This is particularly troublesome in high-density maps, such as the main cities and Lion’s Arch.

Despairingly, yet fittingly, the system does not seem to recognize objects placed by a guild as guild members when determining zone placement. However, several guildies can “anchor” for you, that is, stay in the particular zone where you placed the banner. That way, if you disconnect or relog, the system will prioritize that instance over others of the same map and/or allow your guild to “join your friend” back into it.

According to the previous threads, the banners disappear even when returning to the same IP map.