Why are charged quartz time-gated?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: cptaylor.2670

cptaylor.2670

Q:

Just curious as to what the purpose of this is. It seems a little archaic to me. I assume it was originally to keep people from having full sets of celestial gear at ease, but with them being in the game for so long and so many guild upgrades large quantities of items like celestial inscriptions and ley-line infused tools, the daily cooldown seems to only further time gate a system that is already reliant on so many other things that also take time, such as large amounts of pvp potions etc.

Is this not a system we can put to rest at this point? Or at least be more lenient with? Such as a higher max number of charges a day?

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Just curious as to what the purpose of this is. It seems a little archaic to me. I assume it was originally to keep people from having full sets of celestial gear at ease, but with them being in the game for so long and so many guild upgrades large quantities of items like celestial inscriptions and ley-line infused tools, the daily cooldown seems to only further time gate a system that is already reliant on so many other things that also take time, such as large amounts of pvp potions etc.

Is this not a system we can put to rest at this point? Or at least be more lenient with? Such as a higher max number of charges a day?

Even if it’s timegated, there’s very few things that require them in a large quantity that a SINGLE player is meant to accrue. Guild hall upgrades need a large number in total, but with the number of players in guilds, it’s a small amount for each player.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

It’s simple really. Crystal supply is very small. So keeping it to one a day stops the supply being drained in a single day. There’s something like 3-4 nodes in the game including the home instance one if you have it.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

It’s simple really. Crystal supply is very small. So keeping it to one a day stops the supply being drained in a single day. There’s something like 3-4 nodes in the game including the home instance one if you have it.

That’s not really a good reason since you can argue that the number of nodes are small because it’s time gated and too many nodes would swamp the market. ANets control the number of nodes. They can have as many as they wish and add them if they wanted to remove the once a day crafting.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

BrotherBelial.3094

That’s not really a good reason since you can argue that the number of nodes are small because it’s time gated and too many nodes would swamp the market. ANets control the number of nodes. They can have as many as they wish and add them if they wanted to remove the once a day crafting.

That is true, but at the time of there introduction it was raining crystals, people had more than they could use. Demand fizzled out. Then other gear was.introduced to make them relevant again, but the only source was the home instance. So ANet added the nodes to dry top with the introduction of said new gear. To keep a steady supply, but not swamp the market. This way they keep there price, but at the same time make them an item not worth flipping dew to the one a day nature of them.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

But why would anet care about the price or the steadiness of the supply? And by supply you mean made available for purchase on the TP of course because as we saw with mystic coins there is a decent supply but people were just hoarding them.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

Just a flesh wound.3589

That is true, but at the time of there introduction it was raining crystals, people had more than they could use. Demand fizzled out. Then other gear was.introduced to make them relevant again, but the only source was the home instance. So ANet added the nodes to dry top with the introduction of said new gear. To keep a steady supply, but not swamp the market. This way they keep there price, but at the same time make them an item not worth flipping dew to the one a day nature of them.

In that case then it sounds like the problem is not enough uses for quartz. They could have added quartz to more recipes instead of the just the very few it has. If they had added more uses they could add more nodes and not had to restrict the daily crafting to control supply that way.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Urdfexe.9147

Urdfexe.9147

Even if it’s timegated, there’s very few things that require them in a large quantity that a SINGLE player is meant to accrue. Guild hall upgrades need a large number in total, but with the number of players in guilds, it’s a small amount for each player.

Every piece of celestial gear needs 5 of them. Sinister, Viper, Trailblazer, Commander and Wanderer gear need them too.
Even consumables like Bountiful and Furious tuning crystals, oils and sharpening stones need them. I am always short on them, even without considering the demands of guilds.

Posted by: cptaylor.2670

cptaylor.2670

Maybe, but how many people are typically active in a large guild? And why should a small guild be penalized by this logic? I mean, my active guilds have about 30 or 40 on at primetime, but that isn’t taking into account who all has crafting high enough to make celestial inscriptions or ley-line infused tools. Add that to the fact that the celestial inscriptions take 5 days for 1 person to complete due to daily cooldowns, and with upgrades requiring 200 or more ley-line infused tools, even with 30 people all depositing their 1 a day, that’s still going to be almost 8 days for the full supply. But that’s including everyone, not just the weaponsmiths that can actually craft the tools, so then if you’re lucky you might have 10 dedicated people making the tools and depositing. At which case it would take 20 days, which is longer than it takes to accumulate the aetherium needed to finish the upgrade.

It just seems like an outdated system. Would be a huge help if we could even charge 5 crystals a day as the cooldown. At least then it makes it more manageable for smaller guilds while not inflating the supply.

BrotherBelial.3094

But why would anet care about the price or the steadiness of the supply? And by supply you mean made available for purchase on the TP of course because as we saw with mystic coins there is a decent supply but people were just hoarding them.

You’d have to ask the economist they employ that question.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If Guild members are only using self-crafted ley-line tools to donate to the Treasury, who is buying all those I craft in bulk?

I don’t even know of Celestial Inscriptions can be sold; maybe I should craft some….

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Why does everyone forget about the map bonuses?

Khisanth.2948

If Guild members are only using self-crafted ley-line tools to donate to the Treasury, who is buying all those I craft in bulk?

I don’t even know of Celestial Inscriptions can be sold; maybe I should craft some….

Inscriptions and Insignias are account bound.

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Sorry, I disagree with this statement. I just recently completed a set of celestial armor + 2 weapons. That’s 5 charged quartz each piece, meaning 8 pieces of equipment require a total of 1k quartz crystals.

I feel fortunate that I already had most of them bought/collected from when they were inexpensive on the TP.

But, starting from scratch, 1k quartz crystals IS a large number for a single player to accrue from a limited quantity of time-gated nodes.

~EW

(edited by EphemeralWallaby.7643)

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I think they are time gated so that those of us who have a bit of patience can make a little profit out of them.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I thought this was about Charged Quartz Crystals which are Account-bound, not Quartz Crystals, which can be purchased, and thus are not really time-gated.

EphemeralWallaby.7643

I thought this was about Charged Quartz Crystals which are Account-bound, not Quartz Crystals, which can be purchased, and thus are not really time-gated.

The OP is about the time-gating of creating charged quartz crystals, which encompasses quartz crystals, and imo the topic can be extended to the time-gating of harvesting quartz crystals.

If we’re gunna discuss part of the process, might as well discuss the bigger picture(s).

~EW

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, ok, but there are other materials that have a limited amount of nodes that can be gathered daily, but can be bought on the TP, and I can’t remember too many players considering them time-gated.

Still, if it seems pertinent, by all means….

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

I wish they had not done this and am glad they did not do it again. When they came out I was basically throwing the crystals away, I never had a need for charged crystals when they introduced since the stats did not interest me. Now when I need them for my guild it is just annoying not anything else. I personally would like to have that requirement dropped completely.

DoctorDing.5890

<cough, cough> grow lamp <cough cough> 35 gold <cough cough>

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Well, ok, but there are other materials that have a limited amount of nodes that can be gathered daily, but can be bought on the TP, and I can’t remember too many players considering them time-gated.

Still, if it seems pertinent, by all means….

If there were more than 3-5 nodes (one of which is rich, and literally gated behind an event) harvestable per day, I’d agree… but I find myself often seeing parallels to the need vs availability discussion of obtaining mystic coins to that of obtaining quartz crystals (and by extent charged quartz)…. but that’d start getting way off-topic.

Unless one purchases quartz crystals needed to create a charged at a very high premium (nearly 10s each now on TP), then by harvesting alone it’s impossible to make 1 charged per day. Even if quartz was super-cheap on the TP you still need 25 per charged making bulk buys infrequent.

So, to the OP’s subject specifically, the bottleneck of new quartz crystals introduced into the economy due to severe node limitations seems to be enough of pseudo time gating that the 1/day charged time gate seems unnecessary.

~EW

(edit: fixed a typo of 125 instead of 25. sorry)

(edited by EphemeralWallaby.7643)

Posted by: Skittish.4539

Skittish.4539

I’ve never made grow lamps to sell. Are they more profitable than the ley line tools?

DoctorDing.5890

I’ve never made grow lamps to sell. Are they more profitable than the ley line tools?

Depends on which bits of the game you prefer to play. I tend not to accumulate much HoT stuff because I don’t enjoy those maps so the ley line tools are not a great option for me. It pays to check prices , because the raw materials sometimes sell for more than the finished article. However, I harvest quartz every day and sometimes that throws up a charged one so it makes sense to find a use for it. Generally anything that includes a time-gated component will make some money, which is why we need time-gated stuff in the game.

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

In that case then it sounds like the problem is not enough uses for quartz. They could have added quartz to more recipes instead of the just the very few it has. If they had added more uses they could add more nodes and not had to restrict the daily crafting to control supply that way.

even though there are only a few recipes, i think they are being used alot by wvw’ers because of the raw stat bonuses they give.
the +100 toughess / gain ferocity = to 10% of your toughness and the +100 power +10% boon duration come to mind.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Just a flesh wound.3589

even though there are only a few recipes, i think they are being used alot by wvw’ers because of the raw stat bonuses they give.
the +100 toughess / gain ferocity = to 10% of your toughness and the +100 power +10% boon duration come to mind.

That doesn’t mean that there are sufficient uses for it, since the person I was speaking to was justifying the time gates and the few available nodes based on a need to keep supply from getting too high. More uses means the ability to add more nodes and remove gating. Supply would be controlled by market forces like all the other mats.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

When quartz was added to the game it was used to make celestial stat armor. I feel it was timegated and account bound so older wealthier players couldn’t get the new set ASAP but would have to work for it. This was before ascended armor was added.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Khisanth.2948

I wish they had not done this and am glad they did not do it again. When they came out I was basically throwing the crystals away, I never had a need for charged crystals when they introduced since the stats did not interest me. Now when I need them for my guild it is just annoying not anything else. I personally would like to have that requirement dropped completely.

On the other hand I’ve been charging them whenever possible and sitting on several hundreds and not have this problem.

Bloodstone Dust was an issue though. -_-

Posted by: yiksing.9432

yiksing.9432

As a player who has crafted a set of celestial light, medium and heavy armor each and a pair of celestial for all the single handed weapons and one of dual handed weapon. This silly time gate should be removed, it serves no purpose but annoy the players when they have already accumulate enough materials but have to wait a month or so for their hard work.

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

No different to players wanting to craft ascended gear who might have already accumulated all the mats however?
If you are accumulating mats, you should have been doing the daily gate at the same time so by the time you have enough mats, you already a decent chunk of the way (if not all the way) to having this done.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!