Why are crafted backpacks account bound?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: jerrac.4132

jerrac.4132

I was just leveling up my crafting, and ended up with a whole bunch of backpacks since they were some of the only things left that gave xp. I figured I could just salvage or sell them. But I can’t do either…

So, what is the reasoning behind making backpacks account bound? And unsalvagable? Are there any suggestions on how to do something constructive with my extra backpacks?

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

They were added to the game some time ago because there was a lack of low level back items and to serve as a little almost free bonus item for the crafters themselves to upgrade and use while leveling their craft. They are not really ment to be a pure craft skill leveling item and you don’t need to make them at all if you don’t want to actually use one.

Posted by: jerrac.4132

jerrac.4132

Hmm… I can see that as explaining why they’re account bound. But I still don’t get why you can’t salvage them.

Heck, what’s the reasoning behind making anything unsalvagable? It seems rather arbitrary to me. Would there be a negative effect on the in game economy if I salvaged my items?

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

I think they are account bound as it’s a bit of exclusivity locked behind crafting professions, perhaps to make them a little bit more important/interesting? I kind of like it this way.

I guess it could be seen either way regarding the new Scribing profession and their back-packs. If I see a player with Scribe backpack I see it as a bit of a prestige item, and I guess I’m impressed by it. It sucks that the last skin is locked behind thousands of gold, but it’s purely aesthetic and it’s not a limited supply item- if you want it, you can certainly get it over time, especially when materials get a little cheaper too.

As for the fact you can’t salvage it… I haven’t checked, but does the exotic/rare version require any ectos (or T6 materials)? Because in that case, I would assume it’s to protect the ecto economy, from people obtaining something that could salvage into ectos that is otherwise cheap to craft.

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

Are any backpacks salvageable?

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

I can salvage the ones that drop in fractals, any rarity.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

What you gonna salvage off the chefs backpack?

Pasta Noodles?

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Must say, i didn’t even knew they are not salvageable. However the only exotic
backpacks we had before were from temples in Orr, and i guess they also are
not salvageable.

Another reason is maybe, that they work like a mini ascended item, since they also
have infusion slots.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

not salvageable.

Another reason is maybe, that they work like a mini ascended item, since they also
have infusion slots.

Well, we have great lucky ram lanterns since the start of the year but those also arent salvageable or forgeable.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

not salvageable.

have infusion slots.

Well, we have great lucky ram lanterns since the start of the year but those also arent salvageable or forgeable.

The temple armor was the only alternative before we got the crafted ones. The ram
bags came after we already had the crafted.

I’m only a little sad that they stealth nerfed the stats of them, since they had at first
even a little more total stats with a level 65 jewel than the temple stuff with a
level 80 jewel.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Grimmtooth.4163

Grimmtooth.4163

I thought that the crafter backpacks said in the items flavor text that they could be broken down into crafting mats.. Was this changed or am I mistaken?