Why are cultureal armor so expensive?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: NatsuyakiRingo.3452

NatsuyakiRingo.3452

So i saw the NPC in divinity reach as a human. And i notice the price of those armor and it’s so expensive o.o for a full gear you need about 119 gold ?

With that amount of gold you could get far better gear from TP and berserker even.

So my question is why is it like that? and is there any point in getting these armor ? aside the (skin unlock)

They do have some “cool skin” but it should have more practical use ? :O or ~ am i missing something

Hope some one can explain the logic behind the pricing

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

They are mainly used by players as skins and not for the it’s stats. And the achievement. After all it’s only Level 80 Rare. Charr gets Berserker.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Racial_armor#Attributes

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: bluberblasen.9684

bluberblasen.9684

Hi,
I’m a poor player in this game.. but 120 gold is nothing…
:-)

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Two words: money sink.

Two more words: pizza burger.

Posted by: NatsuyakiRingo.3452

NatsuyakiRingo.3452

Hi,

lol 120g is nothing ? o.o thats a huge sum for me… pm me tips on making money then

and ty all for replying ~

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Hi,

lol 120g is nothing ? o.o thats a huge sum for me… pm me tips on making money then

Right, they aren’t poor if they actually managed to get loot to drop outside of Eotm trains and dungeon runs ad nauseum.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: GenoUnknown.7504

GenoUnknown.7504

Hi,

Then I’m homeless because it took me 2 years to get 200g for golden. xD

Kisu Beki(Guardian) | Suki The Great (Warrior) | Suki Grimm (Necromancer)
Geno Bishou (Elementist) | Suki The Huntress (Ranger) | Geno The Unknown (Thief)

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Hi,

No, you’re not poor if you consider 120 g “nothing”.

Posted by: redcomyn.4651

redcomyn.4651

In the 2 years I have played and up to 2 days ago, I have never been able to get more than 20 gold. Since then, I have managed to get to 25 gold because of some luck, but I don’t think that will last. To me, 120 gold is an extraordinary fortune.

Posted by: Apparition.1576

Apparition.1576

Hi,

I second that, if 120g is nothing then I’m doing something wrong.

One day.. all of you shall submit to the Flame Legion…. to me… I AM BLADABOS

Posted by: Galespark.7835

Galespark.7835

As said, it is the skin that is so expensive, not the stats. Although it is a pretty obvious move to get people to buy transmutations by not at least making it of exotic quality.

Hi,

Keep in mind though that I have seen people on this forum calling other people out for “doing it wrong” because they don’t do the current best farm at least 4 hours each day or don’t enjoy playing the trading post flipping game. If you’re having fun in game, you’re most certainly doing it right!

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

In the 2 years I have played and up to 2 days ago, I have never been able to get more than 20 gold. Since then, I have managed to get to 25 gold because of some luck, but I don’t think that will last. To me, 120 gold is an extraordinary fortune.

Been in the same boat man. I think part of it is this game was originally supposed to be all about open world, and open worlders have had the worst time because of the structure of the game. You gotta group for anything and everything, magic find still doesn’t make a difference, DR still exists (in places like Orr where everything is a Risen class mob forget it), there still seems to be lucky accounts (where you do the same events with the same people every event and you end up with nothing but the mandatory rare/exotic in the tiny side box but the same exact people with varying mf get the same exotics/rares/lodestones no matter what they kill and end up running off with the bank conspiracy theory or not, that’s what happens to many of us so you begin to wonder what is that person doing differently and what’s really sad is when you find out the answer is “nothing”).

I’ve collected rare herbs, went about getting rare drops hard for people to farm mostly level 30 and below bags) until even that was impossible because so many people did it, and I’ve gotta say, even that is less than economically sound for the time you spend trying to farm nodes.

It gets to the point where you’re sitting there at the login screen going, “why am I playing this again?” " It’s certainly not for the rewards"

I play many a game and I know it’s not necessary to have an economy like this one in order to prevent people from causing all kinds of trouble with the auction house scams some games suffer. At this point even NWO’s economy looks better than this one, at least with that economy you can earn the currency by doing normal everyday things like solo instances, skirmishes, community written lore called the Foundry, dailies for reputations, open world drops even give you good cash, can’t tell you the times I’ve gathered together some rare crafting materials from the harder to beat minions out there and brought home some serious AD.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

(edited by tigirius.9014)

Posted by: azurrei.5691

azurrei.5691

It’s expensive, but with the new transmutation system (account wide unlock) I don’t see it as an issue.

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

Takes about 12 days playing relaxed to get 120 gold, but then again I do end up spending much of it on ascended crafting, so I’ve been stable ish at 190 for some time now.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Getting money is all about finding the right things to do. You have to be doing max level content. Leveling alts isn’t going to bring in the gold. And not all max level content is created equally. For instance, if you do a Fractal run every day, you get 1g in the bonus chest. Same for Tequatl. If you do both of those every day, that’s a minimum of 2g straight currency, in addition to whatever you can make from the drops you get.

Karka farming is a great way to get gold at the moment. 3-5g an hour, and you barely have to pay attention; if you have a second monitor or a TV within sight, you can watch something! I usually do it for about an hour, finishing up with karka queen, but if I had a lot more shows to watch, I’d probably do it several hours easy.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

(edited by Andred.1087)

Posted by: RealBGB.9132

RealBGB.9132

120g maybe “poor” if you play everyday since headstart…. but someone like me, with job, kids, and school where I can maybe get a couple hours a night…. 120g would be considered a great amount. (I would consider 120g middle class, not poor)

Its okay to be a little Goofy

Posted by: Crossplay.2067

Crossplay.2067

You are doing it wrong. You make make as much gold as fast if you don’t do dungeon but you can make a lot of money in open world. You have to know where to be and what to go for.

For starters, every evening around 7:15pm est, pros and regulars start organizing to take down Tequatl. Because of how megaservers work, this is the best group to be in to take him down so had best be there before 7:30. Once there, just ask and you’ll be told where to go and what to do while you’re there. He spawns shortly after 8pm and I have yet to see this group fail to defeat him.

Because he spawns past the daily server reset time, you will get a daily boss chest from him as well as 4 chests for defeating him. You are guaranteed to have several rares and a LOT of trash loot. All green cloth armor sells for about 3 silver each. Put it on the matching the lowest seller so you’re not competing with everyone else doing this. Let it sit for at least 7 days. It’s likely to be sold after 2. The rest of the loot you can do with as you wish. Some sell well, some don’t and I have yet to find another reliable pattern so I just salvage them all if I can’t be bothered.

Another thing to note is, because Tequatl happens after server reset, you are likely to get at least one of your dailies off of him. The meta event is actually several events combined so you will meet your daily event quota within 15 minutes. It’s possible you’ll get your kill quota too if you’re part of a defense team. If you get a champion daily, sure sure to kill one (which is likely to spawn at the battery being hit the hardest). Tequatl himself doesn’t count because he’s a legendary monster. I also salvage because that daily easily gets taken care of too.

From then on, you just follow the world meta train until you feel like getting off. Dulfy’s site not only has the times listed but will show you which one is presently active, which is coming next and some of the rewards for defeating them. Each will guarantee you a rare and some, like the Karka Queen, guarantee more. My advice is to learn each event chain and do them instead of just standing where the boss spawns. This will make the boss spawn faster and get you more loot. This group is also organized enough that you will get breaks to clean out your bags.

I’d say this could earn you about 5 gold a day, if you count the value of all the drops too. And yes, magic find does work. Personally I think people misunderstand what it does. It doesn’t increase the amount of drops you get. It increases the chance that they will be of a higher rarity. I have about 125 and I get far more greens than blues with yellows dropping a lot more often then at the game’s launch. I still don’t get many exotics but I actually am getting some. That’s a huge step from when I never got any.

Posted by: Neko Dudley.2495

Neko Dudley.2495

They are supposed to be special.

Gate of Madness [MAL] EB
Yarr! I be keeping me pirate runes, Matey. Yarr! You’re welcome. Yarr!

Posted by: Malchior.5042

Malchior.5042

What on earth do you keep spending gold on to only ever have gotten a max of 25g over 2 years of play?

What do you have in liquid assets/crafting materials (especially ectos)?

Malchior Devenholm | Proud member of Zealots of Shiverpeak [ZoS] | Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

Took me three months to get my first full set 2 years ago. Gold is much easier to obtain now imo. At least more ways to work on it. Of course you probably won’t see that amount of gold pre-80 or running WvW all the time.

Its more of a time and fruition thing. If you want the skins, you save up for them. Just a personal reward you can set for yourself.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Gold is easy to get in this game. Players can make 10 gold a day very easily. You can buy that armor set in under two weeks.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: ShadowPuppet.3746

ShadowPuppet.3746

Hi,

Hi,
I’m a poor player in this game.. but 120 gold is nothing if you farm endlessly

Fixed that for you.

Ayrilana.1396

Hi,

Hi,

Fixed that for you.

You can make 10 gold in a matter of hours. Spread that across 12 days and how much gold do you have? How about 5 gold per day over 24 days?

ShadowPuppet.3746

Hi,

Hi,

Fixed that for you.

You can make 10 gold in a matter of hours. Spread that across 12 days and how much gold do you have? How about 5 gold per day over 24 days?

Only by farming, either through dungeons or open world pve. Just running through doing some map completion or the occasional dungeon you won’t get near that amount. I did not say you can’t make money, it’s just tied into a specific aspect of game play.

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

If you’re poor, and have been playing for a long time, I have to suspect that you’re either crafting, and therefore not making money, or you’re selling all your stuff to vendors rather than on the trading post. I made the second mistake for months playing this game. You must sell everything possible, and sell it on the TP, to make money. Don’t craft, there’s not enough money in it. Then, do lots of high level content. I can pretty easily play casual (like 10 hrs a week) and make 50g a week (that’s a low estimate). But, I do all the Cursed Shore temples whenever possible, and do all the Cursed Shore events as much as possible. Heck, you can prob make 3g just doing Temple of Melandru if you salvage/sell everything, with all the mobs and champs there.

Here’s the deal with this game: you play for fun or you play to amass “wealth”, usually they don’t go hand in hand. However, I personally enjoy hanging out in CS now with the megaserver. I used to hate it. Now I love it. That and WvW, but there’s no money to be made there.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Ayrilana.1396

Like dungeon armor is tied to doing dungeons, ascended armor is tied to crafting, and so on. None of these are wrong. Saying that cultural armor just not be tied to just purchasing with gold would be no different than me saying that dungeon armor should not be tied to do just dungeons (pvp rewards excluded).

Getting 120 gold is fairly easy if you’re willing to put the effort and time to do so. If you don’t have the time then all that means is that it will take a little longer. Tier 3 cultural is supposed to be a gold sink and something for people to work towards if that’s the look that they want. Not everything in the game should be made easy to get which would be the case if you tied it to map completion.

ShadowPuppet.3746

Like dungeon armor is tied to doing dungeons, ascended armor is tied to crafting, and so on. None of these are wrong. Saying that cultural armor just not be tied to just purchasing with gold would be no different than me saying that dungeon armor should not be tied to do just dungeons (pvp rewards excluded).

Getting 120 gold is fairly easy if you’re willing to put the effort and time to do so. If you don’t have the time then all that means is that it will take a little longer. Tier 3 cultural is supposed to be a gold sink and something for people to work towards if that’s the look that they want. Not everything in the game should be made easy to get which would be the case if you tied it to map completion.

Not sure if this directly addressed to me or not but I am going to assume it is since I mentioned something about map completion. So it’s clear, I don’t think it needs to be changed… I am just pointing out that there is really only one way to get money reliably and that is to farm for it. As an aside, there is literally not much easier to do than farming in this game, it simply requires patience for repetition and time invested (which for some people time to be able to play is very limited). If it were up to me, I would lock all of the “cool” looking skins behind challenging content versus easily repeatable tasks or at the very least have them tied to a set of heroic “quests” to obtain them. If you can’t tell I am very anti-farming, not because it’s too hard but because it’s quite literally the most mind numbing task I can think of to spend my time in a video game (obviously this is just my opinion and I do not expect others to feel similarly).

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

Hi,

Hi,

Fixed that for you.

Not even. I barely concentrate on making money and I can still pull in enough to buy pretty much whatever I want.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Ayrilana.1396

Not sure if this directly addressed to me or not but I am going to assume it is since I mentioned something about map completion. So it’s clear, I don’t think it needs to be changed… I am just pointing out that there is really only one way to get money reliably and that is to farm for it. As an aside, there is literally not much easier to do than farming in this game, it simply requires patience for repetition and time invested (which for some people time to be able to play is very limited). If it were up to me, I would lock all of the “cool” looking skins behind challenging content versus easily repeatable tasks or at the very least have them tied to a set of heroic “quests” to obtain them. If you can’t tell I am very anti-farming, not because it’s too hard but because it’s quite literally the most mind numbing task I can think of to spend my time in a video game (obviously this is just my opinion and I do not expect others to feel similarly).

Yeah it was. I’d be completely on board for armor skins locked behind challenging content such as Liadri.

Edit: Typo. I blame autocorrect.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

ShadowPuppet.3746

Hi,

Hi,

Fixed that for you.

Not even. I barely concentrate on making money and I can still pull in enough to buy pretty much whatever I want.

I have everything I want also, and also do not farm endlessly but 120 gold is not nothing.

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

120g is a week or two of extremely casual moneymaking. It’s pretty much nothing.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

120 gold isn’t nothing. I make that in 4 days (2 week-ends) but I don’t consider doing every dungeon aside from HotW (because kitten that) and Arah (because after everything else, I just don’t have the time) to be nothing.

Posted by: Sorean.5379

Sorean.5379

They are like “Prestige armors”.
You just get them for looks,to show off,etc…
But unfortunately everyone thinks like that so that armor isn’t that special anymore

Posted by: bluberblasen.9684

bluberblasen.9684

Hi,

Hi,

Fixed that for you.

are u kidding ?
i play 0-1h a day, i dont farm!

all i do is every day AC path 1 ( ~ 15 minutes ) = 1.5 gold ( ~ with drops and 26 silver reward ~ 2 Gold )
the other 45 Minutes i do WvW or Spvp

1 day = 2 Gold
100 days = 200 Gold
300 days = 600 Gold

…. You see u can have 120 Gold without playing much, without farming…

ahhh. Sorry for my english

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Hi,

He isn’t poor, he wanted to boast on the internet about being rich while trying to make it seem like he isn’t. 120g is a lot of gold for the majority of players. Typically if you’ve been playing for 2 years it isn’t a lot of money.

True story that just happened 2 weeks ago with a guildie:

This guy would always complain about never having money, not knowing how to make it, etc. He’s been playing since early release like me. I asked him what he considers having no money, he said he’s never broken 100g. Ok, I thought to myself, after 2yrs and never breaking 100g that’s pretty bad. So in the course of us playing we are killing things and he keeps having to stop to sell off. Pretty frequently in fact. I asked him whats up with that. He said its because his collectibles are full so he has to vendor his mats when he salvages. Immediately I exclaim “Whaaaaaaa, stop!” I tell him to immediately leave what he is doing, go to a bank, take out every.single.collectible he has and sell them on the TP. For starters. I asked if he crafted and he said he did not, he just didn’t know what to do with the stuff so he left it where it was.

3 days later (and tons of posting on TP), he now has 400g. Now, he was already ecstatic, but now knowing he is clearly a pack-rat I asked him if he could tell me the kinds of things he has in his bank (we were on vent so he started listing things). He named some normal items you’d expect (ascended mats), but then he starts listing exotic gear (some of which was worth 6-7g/ea). Told him to sell those if he had no characters that could use them. Wham another 50g. Then he starts saying “Hey, what about Black….Lion…Claim Tickets? Are those sellable?” And I respond “Uhm…scraps or actual tickets?” He says “well both, I have 5 tickets and 15 scraps, what can I do with these?” I seriously lost it laughing. I was like “Dude, you want to make 600g like instantly or even more than that if you are patient?” Of course he says yes. So I explain what the tickets are good for and he went out and got 6 Chaos weapon skins and sold them on the TP for ~95-100g/ea.

This guy, who has been playing for 2 years, who has been broke for 2 years, now has 1200g to his name, with a bunch more crap in his bank he still needs to sell.

Seriously, true story.

Moral of the story: Don’t be a hoarder, sell what’s in your bank if you aren’t using it. Don’t save stuff because you think you might possibly potentially need it maybe in the future.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Ayrilana.1396

Hi,

Hi,

Fixed that for you.

are u kidding ?
i play 0-1h a day, i dont farm!

all i do is every day AC path 1 ( ~ 15 minutes ) = 1.5 gold ( ~ with drops and 26 silver reward ~ 2 Gold )
the other 45 Minutes i do WvW or Spvp

1 day = 2 Gold
100 days = 200 Gold
300 days = 600 Gold

…. You see u can have 120 Gold without playing much, without farming…

ahhh. Sorry for my english

That’s a playstyle issue and not an issue with the price.

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

I can work IRL for an hour and make 300++ gold. Since i have to work anyway, i’d rather not farm for it. Gem exchange is crazy high now adn will probably soar by the end of the weekend.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I remember the cost having something to do with Anet punishing an exploit that was being… exploited.. around launch that allowed people to get an insane amount of gold reselling it~ It used to only cost a few gold.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.