Why are dyes not account bound?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Revolution.6301

Revolution.6301

It’s not really a grind if you don’t need to do it, and if you are not forced to do it.

My problem remains that they made a change and didn’t immediately tell people why. Instead, they answer the question in private on another website in a special interview. How is that talking directly to your players? Furthermore, how do they find time to “develop the game” (as you say they wouldn’t be able to do if they spent time on their forums) when they’re doing so many interviews?

What were you expecting then? A forum note for every little change and an explanation for every little tweak?

If there was a forum outburst about this issue, they’ll probably respond immediately. If not, well i think it’s pretty much safe for them to assume it’s not something so important they had to spend time making a post about it, when they could be developing the game/ doing interviews to promote the game.

If this was such a little issue then why bother mentioning it at all?

Posted by: Revolution.6301

Revolution.6301

Hey look guys,
another Revolution thread…

Nothing to see here folks just add to ignore list and move along.

Dyes are fine the way they are.

sorry but if you didn’t know this most of us are casual not you- a hardcore player who plays around 4 hours a day.

Posted by: Nevetz.8306

Nevetz.8306

Hey look guys,
another Revolution thread…

Nothing to see here folks just add to ignore list and move along.

Dyes are fine the way they are.

No. I can play 2h a day, with my main character I have most of the dyes but since I like to play with my alts too it just sucks to start with the basic dyes, also knowing I’m not going to buy dyes I already have on my main anytime, like white, abyss, midnights.

Posted by: Dhar.6392

Dhar.6392

It’s that way now because ArenaNet chose it to be that way.

Whether or not they said something early on doesn’t change the way it is now.

Honestly, dyes are one of those things that many people want. ArenaNet knows this and that’s why they sell dye packs in the Gem Store. They’ve also applied a generous amount of RNG to Unidentified Dyes, so getting a highly desirable one is less likely.

With the high RNG and making dyes Soul Bound, that will end up yielding more money for ArenaNet from Gem Store sales than if they made them Account Bound.

ArenaNet is in this to make money. It’s a sad, but true, fact. Given that dyes are considered a “vanity item” and give no edge to a player, they can sell them in the Gem Store without going against their “you don’t have to pay to win” philosophy.

It was the Chinese Investment into stock with NCSoft (~10%+) that pre-empted the change in Dyes. I’m kinda impressed there haven’t been more (and perhaps there are I’m just not far along enough along to notice) serious cash sinks in the game as yet.

Posted by: critickitten.1498

critickitten.1498

Umm dude how many times must i put that link. That link is the last record of them talking about it on their official forums during the beta. They did tell us why they changed it your just not reading it.

No, I read it. Did you read my edit or just pretend to read it?

My point was never about whether dyes should be changed or not, as I’ve established that I don’t actually care.

My point, the one you still have not refuted, is this: why did they not immediately tell the players directly what had changed about their policy? Instead of using their blog system or their forums to let us know “hey, we’re changing X because Y”, the “answer” (which, again, I’ll note isn’t actually much of an answer at all, and is rather easily refuted by pointing to other design choices in their game) shows up on a separate gaming website in a special interview that not everyone knows about. And those who do know about it see a) that instead of the original staff who told them about dye, there’s this Nexon employee telling them about it; b) that the system was changed because of “progression”, which doesn’t actually explain any mechanical reason for the change at all.

And hang on, I thought that if they “waste time explaining every detail they change”, they’d not have time to make the game. So how is it that they had time to do a formal interview for a gaming website, but not a minute-long blurb on their own forums? How did they manage to get any content done back then if they were doing interviews all the time, and by your own words, doing things like that to inform their players would make it impossible to get work done?

I love how you’re acting like you’ve somehow “won” this discussion simply because you found a link to a separate website where a Nexon employee explains why she changed the dye system. Problem is, you still haven’t refuted valid complaints about all the other garbage you’ve said. You still haven’t explained why they didn’t post that information in their own forums like Colin has now been doing for months. You haven’t explained how they found time to do interviews with major media, but didn’t have time to talk to their players. And I can see that you’re avoiding those questions on purpose, because we both know you don’t have a response to them and that if the discussion focuses on these aspects, then your “victory” is quite fleeting indeed.

And I can tell you why things have changed. It’s because their communication at the time of this ‘incident’ was absolutely terrible and they didn’t feel as though they had to answer to their players or their players’ complaints about the state of the game. They were sure, with all their awards and accolades, that GW2 would roll into stores and stomp the competition flat and blow WoW’s sales away. Well, the release day came and went, WoW outsold them yet again. And then November came and went. And now that they’ve had their little reality check, communication is suddenly a big issue that has to be addressed.

You may believe in coincidences, but I do not.

Remember when our developers talked about “strengthening the core game”?
How’d that work out for us so far?
Now let’s try some ideas that will really work.

(edited by critickitten.1498)

Posted by: Ice of Dragons.1637

Ice of Dragons.1637

The dyes are character based because they are way to easy to obtain them and they are fairly cheep except some exceptions. Plus now you can get 10 for 4 laurels and thats really not much. If the dyes would be account wide everyone could get the rare ones for a cheep price.

Posted by: DBrickShaw.1526

DBrickShaw.1526

My point, the one you still have not refuted, is this: why did they not immediately tell the players directly what had changed about their policy? Instead of using their blog system or their forums to let us know “hey, we’re changing X because Y”, the “answer” (which, again, I’ll note isn’t actually much of an answer at all, and is rather easily refuted by pointing to other design choices in their game) shows up on a separate gaming website in a special interview that not everyone knows about. And those who do know about it see a) that instead of the original staff who told them about dye, there’s this Nexon employee telling them about it; b) that the system was changed because of “progression”, which doesn’t actually explain any mechanical reason for the change at all.

And hang on, I thought that if they “waste time explaining every detail they change”, they’d not have time to make the game. So how is it that they had time to do a formal interview for a gaming website, but not a minute-long blurb on their own forums? How did they manage to get any content done back then if they were doing interviews all the time, and by your own words, doing things like that to inform their players would make it impossible to get work done?

I love how you’re acting like you’ve somehow “won” this discussion simply because you found a link to a separate website where a Nexon employee explains why she changed the dye system. Problem is, you still haven’t refuted valid complaints about all the other garbage you’ve said. You still haven’t explained why they didn’t post that information in their own forums like Colin has now been doing for months. You haven’t explained how they found time to do interviews with major media, but didn’t have time to talk to their players. And I can see that you’re avoiding those questions on purpose, because we both know you don’t have a response to them and that if the discussion focuses on these aspects, then your “victory” is quite fleeting indeed.

You realize that the linked article is just quoting posts from the official forums, right?

Your real problem here isn’t that ANet isn’t addressing player’s concerns, your problem is that you didn’t like their answer to this particular issue. You’re entitled to your opinion of course, but personally I see no problem with rare dyes remaining rare and being used to distinguish particularly advanced characters. On the more practical side, ANet is a business, and personally I see no problem with them setting up the system so they can make a little extra money off a purely cosmetic feature.

Posted by: Manoa.5897

Manoa.5897

If you had experienced the account bound dye system (as those of us did during BWE1), you wouldn’t be asking for account bound dyes.

The old account bound dye system worked as follows:

-You had to wait until you got a Colorful Dye Seed drop to start the dye creation process

-Once you had a Colorful Dye Seed, you had to take it to a Dye Manufacturer in your home instance. Said Dye Manufacturer would only accept one Colorful Dye Seed at at time.

-In return for your Colorful Dye Seed, you would receive a Dye Receipt in your inventory. After a mandatory 24 hour waiting period, you could return to the Dye Manufacturer and exchange the Dye Receipt for a soulbound unidentified dye (I can’t even imagine trying to go for The Bifrost under such a system).

-The only way to bypass the 24 hour waiting period (and get your dye instantly) was to buy Magic Plant Food from the gem store.

The old system was incredibly clunky and took a very, VERY long time to accumulate dyes. The new system is far more intuitive and offers far more flexibility to players.

And to those who think ArenaNet of removing the account-bound system to push people to the gem store…just think about how the old system works versus the current system. Bypassing a mandatory 24 hour waiting period is a powerful marketing tool. ArenaNet likely would have generated FAR more gem store revenue under the old account bound dye system via Magic Plant Food sales.

Chaos Spatulai [Chef] | Paragon City Elite [PCE]
Henge of Denravi

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

so you can grind them more and spend real money in their store

critickitten.1498

Your real problem here isn’t that ANet isn’t addressing player’s concerns, your problem is that you didn’t like their answer to this particular issue. You’re entitled to your opinion of course, but personally I see no problem with rare dyes remaining rare and being used to distinguish particularly advanced characters.

Let’s read the line right above the portion that you quoted:

My point was never about whether dyes should be changed or not, as I’ve established that I don’t actually care.

Yeah, clearly, it’s all about dyes: something I’ve said at least three times in this thread that I don’t actually care how they choose to implement it.

I don’t know why it’s so hard to read what I’ve said, but I’ll say it yet again: the problem is not with dyes specifically, it’s with the fact that the devs made announcements in the past, then chose not to go that direction and didn’t feel it was important to rationalize it to the players. This attitude is what sparked much of the conflict that boiled over in November, and it’s why all of a sudden “communication is being worked on” now that the player count and sales figures have declined significantly because of it. If they had just been on the ball from the start, they might have avoided this problem entirely. No one’s saying they can’t make amends, but now they’re having to fight an uphill battle and it’s their own faults for it.

If you had experienced the account bound dye system (as those of us did during BWE1), you wouldn’t be asking for account bound dyes.

That system was not an account-bound system, it was also a soulbound dye system.

And I agree, it was absolutely worse than the existing model in every way. I don’t necessarily think we’re bound and gagged to either one or the other, however, and I think it’s being a tad dishonest to imply that it’s a choice between Bad Model A and Bad Model B when there’s a perfectly valid third option they presented 2 years ago that’s better than both. :p

Posted by: Suddenflame.2601

Suddenflame.2601

And I agree, it was absolutely worse than the existing model in every way. I don’t necessarily think we’re bound and gagged to either one or the other, however, and I think it’s being a tad dishonest to imply that it’s a choice between Bad Model A and Bad Model B when there’s a perfectly valid third option they presented 2 years ago that’s better than both. :p

How is it better then both? Sure it gives all characters the ability to use all dyes quick but at the cost of dyes being worthless after awhile and just trash that you wouldnt even pick up any more. There is draw backs to each but accountbound has more then soulbound.

Ranger; Warrior; Mesmer; Elementalist; Guardian; Engineer
[GWAM] and [LUST]
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Posted by: WarMacheen.7124

WarMacheen.7124

critickitten.1498

How is it better then both? Sure it gives all characters the ability to use all dyes quick but at the cost of dyes being worthless after awhile and just trash that you wouldnt even pick up any more.

That’s not even remotely true. If dyes were account-bound, chances are very good that the devs would have made the drops rates much much lower. Thus they’d be far more expensive to purchase in the TP, and it would mean that picking up Unidentified Dyes is more important than ever (as they’d sell for more money).

As it is, dyes are so common and cheap that a player can potentially buy the entire stock of dyes without much effort since most of them are a few silver per unit, which means ANet doesn’t get a single dime from dye pack sales. Frankly I think the current dye system doesn’t really inspire people to buy their dyes from the Gem Store at all.

Also, you need 250 of them to craft The Bifrost, so there would always be a demand for Unidentified Dyes.

There is draw backs to each but accountbound has more then soulbound.

Really? Out of curiosity, I’d love to see your list of drawbacks for each model.

Oh, and this time, make sure you’re not asserting that the economy would collapse if dyes were account bound, please. That’s an assumption, not a statistically measurable fact.

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

Lol. I’d say from the actions in this thread you do care. Texts don’t write themselves without some sort of motivation behind them!

critickitten.1498

Lol. I’d say from the actions in this thread you do care. Texts don’t write themselves without some sort of motivation behind them!

I’d say, given that my main already has all of the dyes and I’m actively working on clearing out the rest of my characters, that I don’t care.

But that’s because I know my motivations better than you do.

Posted by: xCrusadentx.2784

xCrusadentx.2784

There are well over 400 dyes in this game (as per wiki). Its silly to have to have to reobtain all those dyes for each character if you like to change things up from time to time.

Royal Blood Oath:
We are sworn together by our blood…

Ursan.7846

I’d say, given that my main already has all of the dyes and I’m actively working on clearing out the rest of my characters, that I don’t care.

But that’s because I know my motivations better than you do.

Of course. But you’re under no obligation to state your motivations truthfully. Hehehehe.

critickitten.1498

Of course. But you’re under no obligation to state your motivations truthfully. Hehehehe.

So your core argument is that I’m lying.

Okay, then answer me this: Why? What possible reason would I lie, and what exactly do I gain from lying about my motivations to a bunch of people I have never met and whose opinions I don’t care about?

Just something to think about.

Suddenflame.2601

How is it better then both? Sure it gives all characters the ability to use all dyes quick but at the cost of dyes being worthless after awhile and just trash that you wouldnt even pick up any more.

That’s not even remotely true. If dyes were account-bound, chances are very good that the devs would have made the drops rates much much lower. Thus they’d be far more expensive to purchase in the TP, and it would mean that picking up Unidentified Dyes is more important than ever (as they’d sell for more money).

As it is, dyes are so common and cheap that a player can potentially buy the entire stock of dyes without much effort since most of them are a few silver per unit, which means ANet doesn’t get a single dime from dye pack sales. Frankly I think the current dye system doesn’t really inspire people to buy their dyes from the Gem Store at all.

Also, you need 250 of them to craft The Bifrost, so there would always be a demand for Unidentified Dyes.

There is draw backs to each but accountbound has more then soulbound.

Really? Out of curiosity, I’d love to see your list of drawbacks for each model.

Oh, and this time, make sure you’re not asserting that the economy would collapse if dyes were account bound, please. That’s an assumption, not a statistically measurable fact.

Dude your reading comprehension is dreadful at best. i never asserted that the economy would collapse based on accountbound dyes. I said the economy for dyes (a very specific part of the economy) would collapse. Plus you fail to realize that the prices of the dyes would plummet and not go up as supplies would be high and demand low as everyone would have the dyes. (Supply and Demand). Even if they were to lower the drop rates eventually everyone would have them and not everyone wants a bitfrost therefor the prices would plummet due to over supply. Economics dude.

Account bound drawbacks:

• would require massive drop reduction to the point they were rarer than exotics
  • even if that rare eventually everyone would have the dyes which would reduce demand
  • once demand is lower the supply starts to build up which lowers prices even more
  • recipes for dyes that exist in game already would also already lower the demand as people would just make the dye of their choosing

Character bound drawback:

• Accessible only by one character
  • having to gather multiple of the same dye for each character

There really isnt many cons to character bound but i just gave you many actual plausible reasons why accountbound is a bad idea.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

Ursan.7846

So your core argument is that I’m lying.

Okay, then answer me this: Why? What possible reason would I lie, and what exactly do I gain from lying about my motivations to a bunch of people I have never met and whose opinions I don’t care about?

Just something to think about.

Hehehe. I’m not arguing anything. I just find your actions highly amusing. I should’ve kept my amusement to myself in the dark corner of the room, I apologize.

critickitten.1498

Dude your reading comprehension is dreadful at best. i never asserted that the economy would collapse based on accountbound dyes. I said the economy for dyes (a very specific part of the economy) would collapse.

Which is still an assumption based on zero tangible data or evidence.

Plus you fail to realize that the prices of the dyes would plummet and not go up as supplies would be high and demand low as everyone would have the dyes. (Supply and Demand). Even if they were to lower the drop rates eventually everyone would have them and not everyone wants a bitfrost therefor the prices would plummet due to over supply. Economics dude.

Oh, so let’s get this straight then:

In an account-bound system, players will eventually have all of the dyes, leading to economic collapse in the dye market.

But in a soulbound system, players will….eventually have all of the dyes also (though it will take longer as they are loading out five characters), leading to an economic collapse in the dye market.

Hrm, how does one produce this fabled “economic collapse” but not the other? Are you relying on the fact that once a player makes five characters, they’re naturally be inclined to make a sixth, then a seventh, and to keep making characters forever? That’s an extremely unlikely presumption.

Account bound drawbacks:

• would require massive drop reduction to the point they were rarer than exotics
  • even if that rare eventually everyone would have the dyes which would reduce demand
  • once demand is lower the supply starts to build up which lowers prices even more
  • recipes for dyes that exist in game already would also already lower the demand as people would just make the dye of their choosing

I’m okay with the first. I have no problem with dyes being rare, they should be something special and eventful rather than something bland and boring as they are now.

The second and third point are also true of the soulbound model (it just takes five times as long to get there) and so doesn’t really help your case.

The fourth point doesn’t make much sense, as I was referring to the fact that players use Unidentified Dye in recipes, including one that crafts The Bifrost.

You didn’t try very hard here. Let me help you by taking all of those things you placed under account-bound and adding them here too, where they belong:

• Eventually everyone has all the dyes on every character
  • Produces a system whereby the supply outstrips the demand in the long run, just like the account-bound model

There really isnt many cons to character bound but i just gave you many actual plausible reasons why accountbound is a bad idea.

And I maintain that these reasons are also true of the soulbound model.

There is only one true draw to the soulbound model over the account-bound one: that players will always need dye. But that relies heavily on the hope that players will continue to make characters after they fill their five alloted character slots….which is not necessarily going to be the case.

I honestly doubt that ANet has made any significant amount of money off of dyes as they are. I think they’d make far more money by lowering the rates significantly and making the dyes account-bound, then continuing to add more recipes that use dyes to craft unique skins and tonics. But that’s just my thoughts on the matter.

Hehehe. I’m not arguing anything. I just find your actions highly amusing. I should’ve kept my amusement to myself in the dark corner of the room, I apologize.

Oh, but you are. You’re asserting that I clearly care about how dye is implemented in this game and that I’m lying about not caring for no actual reason whatsoever.

I find your posts far more amusing than my own. They tell me quite a lot about the sort of person you are.

Suddenflame.2601

Also to add to the cons of the accountbound:

• causes massive inflation of price at start (precursor anyone?)
  • Then once the majority of people have that dye (which wouldnt take long) rapid deflation. Very very poor market design.
[GWAM] and [LUST]

Suddenflame.2601

Dude your reading comprehension is dreadful at best. i never asserted that the economy would collapse based on accountbound dyes. I said the economy for dyes (a very specific part of the economy) would collapse.

Which is still an assumption based on zero tangible data or evidence.

Plus you fail to realize that the prices of the dyes would plummet and not go up as supplies would be high and demand low as everyone would have the dyes. (Supply and Demand). Even if they were to lower the drop rates eventually everyone would have them and not everyone wants a bitfrost therefor the prices would plummet due to over supply. Economics dude.

Oh, so let’s get this straight then:

In an account-bound system, players will eventually have all of the dyes, leading to economic collapse in the dye market.

But in a soulbound system, players will….eventually have all of the dyes also (though it will take longer as they are loading out five characters), leading to an economic collapse in the dye market.

Hrm, how does one produce this fabled “economic collapse” but not the other? Are you relying on the fact that once a player makes five characters, they’re naturally be inclined to make a sixth, then a seventh, and to keep making characters forever? That’s an extremely unlikely presumption.

Account bound drawbacks:

I’m okay with the first. I have no problem with dyes being rare, they should be something special and eventful rather than something bland and boring as they are now.

The second and third point are also true of the soulbound model (it just takes five times as long to get there) and so doesn’t really help your case.

The fourth point doesn’t make much sense, as I was referring to the fact that players use Unidentified Dye in recipes, including one that crafts The Bifrost.

You didn’t try very hard here. Let me help you by taking all of those things you placed under account-bound and adding them here too, where they belong:

• Eventually everyone has all the dyes on every character
  • Produces a system whereby the supply outstrips the demand in the long run, just like the account-bound model

And I maintain that these reasons are also true of the soulbound model.

There is only one true draw to the soulbound model over the account-bound one: that players will always need dye. But that relies heavily on the hope that players will continue to make characters after they fill their five alloted character slots….which is not necessarily going to be the case.

I honestly doubt that ANet has made any significant amount of money off of dyes as they are. I think they’d make far more money by lowering the rates significantly and making the dyes account-bound, then continuing to add more recipes that use dyes to craft unique skins and tonics. But that’s just my thoughts on the matter.

Dude your assuming everyone has just 5 characters and are not adding and deleting them. Throw those 2 variables in and you got far far longer then accountbound. Either way soulbound is better cause it does not cause rapid inflation as you are wanting which would cause rapid deflation. Soul bound just makes it increase slightly then a nice long curve down. Its a better model as you have pointed out that it makes the deflation and inflation take longer.

So lets say it would take an average player 1year to get all the dyes. Based on this the rapid inflation and deflation would happen in a span of 1 year which we all know wouldnt have made the game very old. Right now it would take it 5years assuming everyone kept their characters and didnt delete them or buy more slots. 5 years is far better than 1year which makes soulbound > accountbound. Plus since we know people are more then likely to add and delete characters its more likely 7-10years before dye prices fall below reasonable. Which by then GW3 or another game would have become much more popular so no one would give a kitten

[GWAM] and [LUST]

Posted by: Lokheit.7943

Lokheit.7943

I would like to have dyes unlocked for the entire account as I like to complete collections, and sometimes I know I have a cool color on my main character but I can’t check how it looks on my alts armor.

I know they’re a way to gain money on the gem store, but it would be cool to have them on all mu characters.

critickitten.1498

So lets say it would take an average player 1year to get all the dyes. Based on this the rapid inflation and deflation would happen in a span of 1 year which we all know wouldnt have made the game very old. Right now it would take it 5years assuming everyone kept their characters and didnt delete them or buy more slots. 5 years is far better than 1year which makes soulbound > accountbound.

But that’s just it: you’re assuming that either model would produce an economic collapse. I rather doubt that would happen at all, at any point in time, to either model. I’m simply pointing out that if it did, it happens to both models, so it’s hardly a real gain either way in the long run.

And the benefits of lower drop rates + account bound dyes would make ANet more likely to make money off of the Gem Store dye packs than they do right now. As you say, it’s economics: in general (though there are always exceptions), people will choose whichever model provides greater convenience….even if that model means paying for it. Would you pay for dyes if the existing dye model allows you to buy the dyes for next-to-nothing in in-game currency? Probably not, since they drop pretty reliably and are cheap besides. But if you cut drop rates signficantly and account-bound the system, suddenly dyes are much more rare, and thus much more expensive, which means they’re no longer dirt cheap. And now that Gem Store shortcut is looking awfully attractive by comparison.

A lot of games use this model to make their money, and I think ANet could stand to benefit from it themselves. Right now, I look at that dye pack option in the Gem Store and laugh at it, because there’s no reason to bother.

Plus since we know people are more then likely to add and delete characters its more likely 7-10years before dye prices fall below reasonable. Which by then GW3 or another game would have become much more popular so no one would give a kitten

That sounds like an assumption. An unlikely one at that, since I rather doubt players are just casually deleting Lvl 80 max-gear characters out of boredom. Dunno about you but I don’t like wasting that much time and effort.

Posted by: toafarmer.8401

toafarmer.8401

because you can buy them for real money and thats the only thing important to anet/nc$oft. thats why they changed what was planned before the release.

Posted by: DBrickShaw.1526

DBrickShaw.1526

Yeah, clearly, it’s all about dyes: something I’ve said at least three times in this thread that I don’t actually care how they choose to implement it.

I don’t know why it’s so hard to read what I’ve said, but I’ll say it yet again: the problem is not with dyes specifically, it’s with the fact that the devs made announcements in the past, then chose not to go that direction and didn’t feel it was important to rationalize it to the players. This attitude is what sparked much of the conflict that boiled over in November, and it’s why all of a sudden “communication is being worked on” now that the player count and sales figures have declined significantly because of it. If they had just been on the ball from the start, they might have avoided this problem entirely. No one’s saying they can’t make amends, but now they’re having to fight an uphill battle and it’s their own faults for it.

If you’re fine with the current dye system I don’t see what your problem is. A minor deviation was made from a post by one of the ANet artists over two years ago, and a rationalization for the change was posted by an ANet employee in the official forums. What else do you want from them exactly? Maybe a line by line personalized email for every set of patch notes?

(edited by DBrickShaw.1526)

Posted by: Blueshield.6291

Blueshield.6291

And when you worked in game design, you locked yourself permanently into trajectories and never made any changes when you realized that systems wouldn’t work the way you thought they would?

I’m glad you’ve demonstrated that you haven’t read the rest of the thread. I’ll respond to you when you actually take the time to read what has been said, until then, don’t interject with half an opinion to less than half of a conversation.

I’m glad you’ve demonstrated that you haven’t read the rest of the thread, in which I have numerous posts above the one you quoted. Until you put the effort into actually reading what has been said, don’t interject with hostility because someone points out your inconsistencies.

The problem with this thread’s attempt to hold ANet to statements made during development when content is subject to change is that we’re sending them a message that they can’t tell us anything. If we as a community continue to dredge up archives of dev posts made years ago and say “wait, you didn’t do this the way you said you would in 2008!” then they’ll simply stop saying anything at all.

Does that strike anyone as productive?

critickitten.1498

If you’re fine with the current dye system I don’t see what your problem is. A minor deviation was made from a post by one of the ANet artists over two years ago, and a rationalization for the change was posted by an ANet employee in the official forums. What else do you want from them exactly? Maybe a line by line personalized email for every set of patch notes?

Not exactly, but I do expect them to do a better job explaining what they’re doing, preferably before they do it. They’ve taken some steps towards this, with Colin posting more often….but then we had the “AoE across the board tweaking” debacle in which they took a big step backwards.

A little dialogue between players and devs is good for a game. Instead of saying “we’re looking at doing this” and not filling us in, give us your reasoning behind the decision. We’ll be able to have a discussion over it, and you might find that players have some good points to bring to the discussion, even if we don’t agree in the end.