Why are infusions so terrible?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dresden.1736

Dresden.1736

+4 to a stat… really?? 5 laurels… REALLY?! Per stat, that makes infusions 925% more expensive than the accessories! Every time I try and understand the thought process behind the pricing of these, my mind reels at the utter stupidity of it…

Sure, I could go pay 25g and a bunch of skill points to get a fine infusion with some AR, but I couldn’t care less about Fractals, so we’re at the same dilemma of paying a ridiculous amount of currency for something with practically no measurable effect.

Either way you look at it, it’s a good week’s worth of grinding for the somewhat casual player… for +4 of a stat! Am I taking crazy pills, or do you guys agree that is just insane?

Posted by: Embrace The Bold.7619

Embrace The Bold.7619

Well for those of us who want to min-max our builds getting these +4 and +5 stats just seem silly. I suppose if you did it for one char it would be an “okay” grind but for us altoholoics this is just not fair! so ya OP you’re not alone I think the amount of money/time needed to be put into these infusions is ridiculous.

The Sickest Guild NA

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

I wholeheartedly agree. Even at one day (laurel) per stat is quite ridiculous but 4 points for 5 days where is the logic in that?

Posted by: EzRemake.1860

EzRemake.1860

Yeah I agree, it makes no sense. Almost like the person in charge of costs didn’t think about things.

Accessories are also ridiculous: 30 dailies, 1 monthly, and 10g worth of Ectos – all for a miniscule improvement.

Talk about a carrot on a string

Posted by: Shootsfoot.9276

Shootsfoot.9276

LOL…when I got my ascended amulet I couldn’t wait to infuse it. Then I saw what it was gonna cost.

They’re nuts.

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

Don’t forget that you can also get +5 stat infusions that ALSO add +5 AR.

And the only way you’ll even know they exist is by looking on the wiki!

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Posted by: Shootsfoot.9276

Shootsfoot.9276

That’s what we’re talking about.

Dresden.1736

Yeah, we covered that topic in the original post, but you make a good point about the fact that you’d never even know they were there. Either way, though, it’s about 25g and a bunch of skill points to make one, so they are entirely over-priced as well. AR is a must have for the high-level fractal runner, but outside of fractals, AR is completely worthless, so that price is for a whole +5…

Posted by: Excelliate.7914

Excelliate.7914

Yeah, never get infusions from laurels if you run fractals. I just get the versatile simple infusions because I don’t want to spend 50+ gold on 5 points, and laurels for a sub-optimal infusion is not worth it.

Regnum Ascalon [RegA] ~~ Dragonbrand

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

Just use the Versatile Simple Infusion if you want 5 AR. It costs 75 fractal relics and is sold by the vendor golem inside Fractals of the Mists.

Really, in my opinion it is the only worthwhile infusion apart from the Utility infusions available for amulets.

Posted by: Niila Nuppunen.9875

Niila Nuppunen.9875

Because +5 for now leaves room for the power creep later on. That’s why.

Posted by: ALeetNoob.4830

ALeetNoob.4830

Actually thinking about it, Thats probably going to be the next set of ascended gear.
Ascended infusions. Armor is likely going to take a while as its probably going to be a new model. 1 set of armor is 1light 1med 1heavy x5 races x2 genders. A lot more work then something without any model at all.

+10 AR +20 Power +1crit dmg or something while being a nightmare to make.

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

I don’t have any ascended items and only 1 character at 80. I don’t even have exotic armor yet (just rare!) and I’m STILL using level 80 Masterwork trinkets.

The game is still fun for me. It’s only a grind if you want it to be.

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

Dresden.1736

Actually thinking about it, Thats probably going to be the next set of ascended gear.
Ascended infusions. Armor is likely going to take a while as its probably going to be a new model. 1 set of armor is 1light 1med 1heavy x5 races x2 genders. A lot more work then something without any model at all.

+10 AR +20 Power +1crit dmg or something while being a nightmare to make.

This kind of all goes back to my point of the current infusions being WAY too expensive. I can understand an infusion with, say, +20 of a stat costing 5 laurels (or 5 days worth of game play), but what would a +20 cost if the +4 remained at 5? An entire month of game play?? Screw that.

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

If they were more powerful, people would complain about how they’re required to grind for infusions on top of grinding to get ascended.

They’ll add more powerful ones regardless.

Posted by: Zenith.6403

Zenith.6403

I really hope the guys who are agonizing over not having +5 stat from infusions are using food and oils wherever they are playing. Orrian Truffle Steak grants 100 Power and 70 Precision. Superior Sharpening Stone grants a minimum of 916*0.10 = 92 Power.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Laurel infusions are quite a joke outside of the utility ones. Though the earrings definitely take the cake for being overpriced.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Like ascended gear itself, the infusions with stats are designed for those chasing the carrot. They cost a lot simply to waste time and with such a minor increase in stats, they don’t really matter to the normal player. It’s simply “content” for “dedicated” players.

Posted by: Zaviel.1245

Zaviel.1245

Keep in mind the prices are geared towards people just starting the game. If you started playing today, and you do your dailies, by the time you reach 80, maybe even two 80s, you will be able to completely skip buying an exotic trinket of your choosing and instead get max tier gear.

Infusions are for people who only have one character to focus on, thus they can afford them because they don’t need as many laurels.

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

I think they’re expensive for a reason because those extra stats will drag ascended gear even further away from exotics.

Posted by: cargan.5689

cargan.5689

considering the value of infusions im saving for the cat

Attachments:

Ulfar SOR

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Have you not see the number of complaints floating around about how much better ascended gear is than exotic gear? Maybe we’re on different forums.

The reason the stats are so low is because Anet isn’t making a game where gear matters as much to begin with. They wanted only cosmetic items in the first place and found that some people absolutely didn’t care about cosmetics at all. So they compromised. They gave modest stat upgrades to people who actually felt they needed to grind for better gear.

If they gave a real upgrade, they’d kitten off the rest of us even more.

Posted by: Silverthorn.8576

Silverthorn.8576

When people will be in full ascended gear the difference will matter. In WvW when you will fight a full zerg of people in ascended gear may be you will not find the stat so low.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Have you not see the number of complaints floating around about how much better ascended gear is than exotic gear? Maybe we’re on different forums.

The reason the stats are so low is because Anet isn’t making a game where gear matters as much to begin with. They wanted only cosmetic items in the first place and found that some people absolutely didn’t care about cosmetics at all. So they compromised. They gave modest stat upgrades to people who actually felt they needed to grind for better gear.

If they gave a real upgrade, they’d kitten off the rest of us even more.

^ This. Ascended items already have better baseline stats than Exotics. If Infusions gave another big boost on top of that, it would make Exotics completely obsolete, with the result that many players would just skip Exotics altogether and go straight to Ascended items through Laurels or Fractals.

Ascended items were designed to be a bit more powerful than Exotics, but not too much, and give people who like grinding for BiS gear something to work towards. Outside of Fractals, there’s little practical reason to wear all Ascended items; the end-game is still designed with Exotic gear in mind. (Although it remains to be seen if power creep will change this as time goes by.)

The only way I would support Ascended items and infusions getting a boost to their power is if ANet also increases the ways one can get Ascended gear (namely, by either allowing crafters to craft Ascended gear, or including new recipes to upgrade Exotic items to Ascended tier via the Mystic Forge. The latter would be my preferred method).

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

It’s just a gold sink for people who don’t really need to throw money at anything else. If you don’t care about the small stat increase then don’t bother. I’m sure not unless I get extremely bored with my gold. Getting the items with Laurels is also basically free money anyways, as you don’t need to spend it on exotics. It takes a while to get Laurels but it’s extremely simple and easy. You can also get accessories with guild commendations~ also extremely easy to get. Just be patient or go ahead and throw money around.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

(edited by Doggie.3184)

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

. . . and, unfortunately, I’m going to be trying for at least two Agony Resistance-imbued Infusions.

Sigh. I’ll be getting good at killing karka.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Rifter.6591

Rifter.6591

20% MF on amulet is ok but i agree the +4 stat ones are laughable.

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

The karma one was worth it for me. a lot of people say they have tons of karma they don’t need but you’ll never know what they have in store!

Karma infusion + karma booster + guild buff + karma liquid gives lot of karma

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

Dresden.1736

I agree the utility infusions are nice, albeit I think those were a little over-priced as well (20 days). At least those have a substantive, measurable benefit. But going back to the guy who said “wait till you can infuse everything”: 12 × 4 = 48. That’s nothing to get excited over… And it doesn’t invalidate the fact that those 48 stats cost you almost 1,000% more than the rest of your gear, or roughly two whole months.