Why are so many items account/soulbound?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Arnox.5128

Arnox.5128

It’s really baffling to me. It seems like at least 50% of items you get are one of these. I mean, I understand the need to keep some of these items bound but this is silly. You can’t even give it away via mail.

ArenaNet, please give us more skills!

(edited by Arnox.5128)

Posted by: Cedric Ambidexter.9174

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

the reward system needs a complete overhauling. It’s toxic.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It’s really baffling to me. It seems like at least 50% of items you get are one of these. I mean, I understand the need to keep some of these items bound but this is silly. You can’t even give it away via mail.

Both are ways to sink materials from the economy. Without such sinks, the game can suffer overstock of mats as well as gold. So making exotic soulbound on use means that someone else has to make (or buy) their own gear after you’ve used yours.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Arnox.5128

Both are ways to sink materials from the economy. Without such sinks, the game can suffer overstock of mats as well as gold. So making exotic soulbound on use means that someone else has to make (or buy) their own gear after you’ve used yours.

Actually, it’s not so much the soulbound items that get on my nerves I suppose. It’s all the account bound ones. And again, I understand why some items need to be account bound, but the amount of them that are is silly.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Actually, it’s not so much the soulbound items that get on my nerves I suppose. It’s all the account bound ones. And again, I understand why some items need to be account bound, but the amount of them that are is silly.

What currently account bound items do you think should be made tradeable? How will that impact supply & demand of such items, including whether those items feel valuable?

Arnox.5128

What currently account bound items do you think should be made tradeable? How will that impact supply & demand of such items, including whether those items feel valuable?

I’d have to go through the list but a lot of the stuff you get in daily logins should not be account bound, like dye packs for example.

As to whether the items are more or less valued depending on whether they can be given/sold or not, I would argue that account bound items all have quite literally zero value since they cannot be sold at all. Allowing them to be sold gives them value which is obviously greater than having no value at all.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I’d have to go through the list but a lot of the stuff you get in daily logins should not be account bound, like dye packs for example.

As to whether the items are more or less valued depending on whether they can be given/sold or not, I would argue that account bound items all have quite literally zero value since they cannot be sold at all. Allowing them to be sold gives them value which is obviously greater than having no value at all.

Dye packs on daily logins? We get those? I’ve gotten unopened dyes but those are sellable.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

It bugs me no end that all the new cooking items are account bound. It means that Sawgill mushrooms, for one, have zero value despite being able to make quite useful food.

Ascended mat drops – dragonite, empyreal, bloodstone as well as ley sparks/airship oil/auric dust would all be greatly improved if they could be sold (even to vendors)

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

The fundamental notion behind ascended gear is the player should be the one taking the time to create rather than buy the items off the TP. But if a player wants ascended gear, they need to do the activities that generate those mats for themselves.

Same is true with HoT map specific mats. Do the content yourself if you want them.

Otherwise those with lots of gold can simply buy these mats and not participate in the activities or visit maps that reward these mats.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Arnox.5128

The fundamental notion behind ascended gear is the player should be the one taking the time to create rather than buy the items off the TP. But if a player wants ascended gear, they need to do the activities that generate those mats for themselves.

Same is true with HoT map specific mats. Do the content yourself if you want them.

Otherwise those with lots of gold can simply buy these mats and not participate in the activities or visit maps that reward these mats.

By that logic though, we shouldn’t even have the Trading Post.

Posted by: Caladrian.1896

Caladrian.1896

Dye packs on daily logins? We get those? I’ve gotten unopened dyes but those are sellable.

I am guessing he is talking about the dye packs you get on your 4th anniversary which allows you to get some of the rarer dyes. I can understand that they are account bound otherwise this would probably significantly have influenced the market. Furthermore this would basically mean they are giving you gold as a present which is, in my opinion, not the purpose of a present.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I am guessing he is talking about the dye packs you get on your 4th anniversary which allows you to get some of the rarer dyes. I can understand that they are account bound otherwise this would probably significantly have influenced the market. Furthermore this would basically mean they are giving you gold as a present which is, in my opinion, not the purpose of a present.

That’s probably what he meant. Those dyes probably shouldn’t be sellable since as you said they would impact the dye market significantly.

As for the daily log in rewards we get
1) mystic coins, bags of crafting mats: sellable
2) laurels: indirectly sellable through buying crafting mats
3) exotic equipment: indirectly sellable through salvaging.
4) tomes: indirectly sellable through generation of Spirit Shards.
5) gem store items, boosters, luck, T charges: not sellable

So most of the items are sellable to indirectly sellable, though of course, some are worth more than others when used to make gold indirectly.

I don’t see ANet ever making gemstore items, boosters, luck or T charges sellable and items like tomes, I suspect there is such a surplus that they would sell for very little.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

The dye packs already impact the price of dyes – the most expensive dyes you can get from the packs always crash in price shortly after a pack is released. But I suppose making them un-tradable limits the impact to those specific dyes – it stops people selling them and making a pile of gold from their birthday gift.

More generally I think so many things are account bound so that you have to actually play the parts of the game they come from in order to get them. If everything was tradable then you could get anything in the game by buying gems, converting them to gold and buying whatever you wanted. And as much as it contradicts everything you’ll hear about games that rely on microtransactions for their profits I think Anet would prefer people to actually play their game rather than paying to skip the content.

It also means that you have to buy HoT to get access to HoT items, have to buy Living Story chapters to get those items etc. They managed to stop free accounts trading items which other players can buy or sell, so maybe they could use the same system to prevent you buying things that come from content you don’t have. But I don’t know how complicated that is to set up and maintain, and I can guarentee they’d get a lot of support tickets (and forum posts) about “bugged” trading post items.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Honestly, that part is mighty fine. A bigger problem is how all HoT stuff is accountbound because they couldn’t find a different way to keep non-HoT owners away from it.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

A bigger problem is how all HoT stuff is accountbound because they couldn’t find a different way to keep non-HoT owners away from it.

I agree that it’s a problem. I’m just not sure what else they could do, that wouldn’t require creating a difficult-to-manage mechanic.

We could, for example, imagine that items get a new flag, “Game unlock,” with a value of 0 for free accounts, 1 for Core, 2 for HoT, 3 for Expac #2 and so on. Players wouldn’t be able to consume “higher numbered” items than the game they own. But that presents other issues: would people still be able to craft? buy from the TP? salvage? sell to vendor? Would players still be able to unlock recipes?

It probably seemed to ANet to be much less work and much less future maintenance to use the existing binding system and call it a day.

I’d be happier if they went with a more nuanced solution. I’m not sure, however, whether that is practical now (or whether it was in the first place). I have a tiny bit of hope that they’ll have rethought this for the new expac.

Posted by: Solvar.7953

Solvar.7953

In terms of materials, one could only unlock those recipes if one has HoT. So sure, a player without HoT could get bloodstone dust, but if none of the recipes are unlocked for that person, it doesn’t do them much good

Posted by: Zaraki.5784

Zaraki.5784

Actually:

-every ascended mats(bloodstone, empyreal, dragonite, globs ofdark matter),
-ascended armor/weapons (except few named ones),
-also legendary insights,
-wvw/pvp xp potions,
-essences of luck and tomes of knowledge.

These are the first I think to, maybe more imo.

Edit:
-charged quartz
-mystic clovers

(edited by Zaraki.5784)

Posted by: CobaltSixty.1542

CobaltSixty.1542

Actually:

-every ascended mats(bloodstone, empyreal, dragonite, globs ofdark matter),
-ascended armor/weapons (except few named ones),
-also legendary insights,
-wvw/pvp xp potions,
-essences of luck and tomes of knowledge.

These are the first I think to, maybe more imo.

Edit:
-charged quartz
-mystic clovers

Is this a joke?

Illconceived Was Na.9781

• every ascended mats(bloodstone, empyreal, dragonite, globs ofdark matter),
  • ascended armor/weapons (except few named ones),
  • also legendary insights,
  • wvw/pvp xp potions,
  • essences of luck and tomes of knowledge.
  • charged quartz
  • mystic clovers

The items on your list are based on player accomplishment and/or dedication; there’s almost no chance that ANet would ever agree to unbinding LI, reward track potions, mystic clovers, or ascended anything. Similarly, luck is clearly designed to up account bound magic find, so it can’t be unbound without changing that entire dynamic.

Charged quartz seem reasonable, except we can already stock up on plenty using Wintersday Gifts (which drop plenty).

Finally, tomes of knowledge… well, I know that plenty of people would love to be able unload what they consider to be too many, but (a) they can easily be converted into spirit shards already and (b) they are still intended as rewards to the account, not meant for sharing.

So you might want to reevaluate which account bound items you think ANet should reconsider

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

The dye packs already impact the price of dyes – the most expensive dyes you can get from the packs always crash in price shortly after a pack is released. But I suppose making them un-tradable limits the impact to those specific dyes – it stops people selling them and making a pile of gold from their birthday gift.

Shouldn’t be selling your birthday gifts anyway. Maybe just drop some strong hints to just go with a gift card next time instead?

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

Most unsellable items that players would like to sell are items that are of little use to them, which also means that they are of little use to anyone else either, so making them tradeable simply floods the market with more junk items, which very few players will buy.
If you make them sellable to vendors, then you rapidly increase the gold supply into the game , which then means additional gold sinks have to introduced to stop inflation occurring.
Balancing an MMO economy is a very tuff job, and this game is one of the best so far.

Posted by: Zaraki.5784

Zaraki.5784

Is this a joke?

No, it’s what I really hope…

The items on your list are based on player accomplishment and/or dedication; there’s almost no chance that ANet would ever agree to unbinding LI, reward track potions, mystic clovers, or ascended anything. Similarly, luck is clearly designed to up account bound magic find, so it can’t be unbound without changing that entire dynamic.

Charged quartz seem reasonable, except we can already stock up on plenty using Wintersday Gifts (which drop plenty).

Finally, tomes of knowledge… well, I know that plenty of people would love to be able unload what they consider to be too many, but (a) they can easily be converted into spirit shards already and (b) they are still intended as rewards to the account, not meant for sharing.

So you might want to reevaluate which account bound items you think ANet should reconsider

Oh really, since when things you get so abundantly have become unsellable like bloodstone, empyreal and dragonites? I get them as much as blue and green weapons/armors…I can sell the latter, why not the firsts since they require the same amount of work to get?

About mystic clovers: they don’t require nothing but luck and materials need to bet for them are easy (aside from personal wallet) to get. Obsi and phil stones are really cheap and ecto+mystic coins can be bought on tp, we can sell lucky-only things like weapons only dropped by certain events, why not mystic clovers?

About charged quartz: as you say we can get them from wintersday gifts..so what? If they would also be sellable that would be a nice add, making them even easier to acquire and giving a chance to those having tons of them to sell them.

About tomes: they can be converted to spirit shards but spirit shards aren’t so fast or immediate to convert to gold. About they being meant as rewards not shareable it’s exactly what I think should be changed.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I guess that means you don’t want to reevaluate your list or your reasoning.

I have no problem with the principle that everything should be tradeable. However, there are lots of player who do, people at ANet who do, and, as a practical matter, it impacts the economy (and the reward system).

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

The frustrating thing is most of what I have I can not even store in my personal guild, which only my main and my alt have access to. To say nothing of giving duplicates to a friend or someone just starting.