Why are the npc's calling me "boss"?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Galaroth.4187

Galaroth.4187

Q:

I’ve had a break from gw2 for some time. have read summaries about what has happened in the living world, but i think i missed why the group i’m with now in Dragon’s Reach part 1 keeps reffering to me as “boss” (Taimi, Braham, etc.)?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Because during Season 1 of the Living Story one of the things you did was get to know all these people and bring them together. Between that and the fact that you’re the most experienced of the group they’ve sort of nominated you as their leader.

I think Marjory started calling you Boss and it spread to the others.

(And in an out of universe sense because they want the player to feel like you’re the one who gets to make the decisions and the others are there to help, unlike in the personal story where it often felt like you were secondary to NPCs. And having them nickname you Boss gets around the fact that they can’t include your characters name in voiced dialogue.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I think it’s because the game assumes that you played the personal story to the end and were Commander of the group that killed Zhaitan. As a confirmed dragon killer you are important enough to lead this group.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

It has to do with LS1 rather than personal story. You are pretty much the leader of that little group you work with in LS2. All of that was established in the first LS.

The Personal Story did have you become Commander, but the characters from the Living Story weren’t there.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

“Boss” was a poor choice of words, but i understand why they used it. It’s a word that’s being used, to acknowledge that the player is the center of the story. The problem though, is that the word “boss”, can be taken as an authoritative figure, such as an employer. “Leader”, or “Commander”, or any military designation would’ve been better, since the story is involving campaigns in a “war” against Modremoth.

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

“Boss” was a poor choice of words, but i understand why they used it. It’s a word that’s being used, to acknowledge that the player is the center of the story. The problem though, is that the word “boss”, can be taken as an authoritative figure, such as an employer. “Leader”, or “Commander”, or any military designation would’ve been better, since the story is involving campaigns in a “war” against Modremoth.

Boss sounds better for me, at least. It can be used in a playful joking way (which is how I felt Taimi was using it). Using leader as a name (instead of as an adjective) sounds too much like an old series cliched villain (or maybe it’s just me being old ), commander or any military designation would feel out of place because they’re all really civilians, not members of any military organization (you’re a member of the pact, they’re not). Also, while your rank is indeed commander, calling you by rank feels too impersonal and detached for what is esentially a group of friends (and lovers) that call each other by their first name (or pet names), something that obviously isn’t possible for the voiced dialogue.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

(edited by locoman.1974)

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Who says we won’t get that name back once we get back into our Dragon Slaying ways? I have no doubt Trahearne will want us in charge again, at which point we’ll be called Commander once more and the group will have to start calling us this, probably with Brahm mentioning “this will take some getting use to.”

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald