Why are there not more dungeons?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: arakkune.1429

arakkune.1429

I really think the concept of dungeon with story and explorable mode is really cool but anet forsoke it the moment the game got released and they fired the dungeon team im just interested your opinion do people really dislike dungeons that much that they are not needed anymore? Im making this topic because dungeons are a cool way to have small groups (fractals arent exactly dungeons they are too small) playing and while anet thinks open world events are the best i find no fun sitting at 25 fps in a melee of characters and enemies but thats just my 2 cents. So yeah are u guys pro dungeon or pro open world?

Posted by: reddie.5861

reddie.5861

open world by far superior to dungeons, but anet decide to nerf open world mobs and make them spawn slower and in less density.

so ye not sure what anet hates

Posted by: NetherDiver.6079

NetherDiver.6079

Let’s wait until they announce what “challenging group content” is. Could be raids, could be dungeons. Who knows.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

ArenaNet has always been pro-open world considering their goal from the beginning has been to create a dynamic, living world. GW2 simply isn’t like most other MMOs where the game revolves around dungeons. Like a single player game, the endgame of GW2 is the journey itself. They’ve always wanted to be different, so it’s a little surprising they even bothered to include the old generation of dungeons, but without them, traditional MMO players would have been even more lost. The hope is that they learn to adapt, rather than seeing no “endgame” and passing it off. Fractals for example were the result of people wanting that “endgame” grind, which was a lot more popular at launch with all the WoW players.

MMOs are meant to simulate a virtual world. All content should really be out in the open, but that doesn’t meant they can’t limit access to it. Queen’s Gauntlet for example could have been a solo instance, but what they went with is how an MMO should be.

The dungeon team was simply merged into the other teams. The dungeons added during season 1 were done by the living world team. They could continue to develop dungeons if they wanted to.

The lack of dungeon updates comes down to simple numbers. As noted back during SAB W2, the head of ArenaNet loves numbers. The higher the activity, the more resources it gets. See the quick return of W2 and the lack of W3 for example. If you noticed during season 1, they were testing different styles of content. Each style was a survey based on simple participation. The lack of dungeons is the simple result of that lack of participation.

If “challenging group content” lacks participation, expect to see only 1 of whatever it ends up being. Personally, I’d rather see challenging solo content. Group content is never actually challenging on an individual level to the entire group.

Posted by: Loxias.2375

Loxias.2375

I think my biggest frustration with the Guild Wars 2 game & world is the lack of “open world” dungeons.

I miss having to work my way to an area, as opposed to just running through and having 3000 lvl 83 mobs barely graze me, at least when the gain could be worth it.

Worst case, I’d love to see open instances of some existing areas that are tuned up 50% or more with maybe an increased drop rate, higher level of loot, potential for rare items from completion, etc… geared toward groups, but scaling so that a skilled player can solo or duo.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

I got my dungeon master title 2.5 years ago and since then hardly set a foot in them.

Only when i needed some tokens to craft a legendary but i wouldnt do one for the “fun” of it.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

The fact that they got rid of the dungeon team doesn’t mean they’ve completely abandoned the idea of ever making dungeons ever again. They’ve actually made a few since that happened. Like the Aetherpath in TA and the Living story ones which became new Fractals.

It just means they’re not making enough to justify having a full team of people whose full time job is to build dungeons.

Just like they probably don’t have a jumping puzzle team or a fractals team or whatever. As and when they want to make a dungeon they can assign the necessary people to do it, but it’s not something they’re constantly working on.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Oyranos.9750

Oyranos.9750

I really like dungeons and raids, but not bind on guilds like world of warcraft and other mmos are…

Why they abandoned it?

If they want to be exceptional I have some suggestions… But I will add this in the suggestion box.

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

Good dungeons that have normal and hardmode settings can be super fun for casuals and hardcore,we only have dungeons with setting easy in this game ;(

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I really think the concept of dungeon with story and explorable mode is really cool but anet forsoke it the moment the game got released and they fired the dungeon team im just interested your opinion do people really dislike dungeons that much that they are not needed anymore? Im making this topic because dungeons are a cool way to have small groups (fractals arent exactly dungeons they are too small) playing and while anet thinks open world events are the best i find no fun sitting at 25 fps in a melee of characters and enemies but thats just my 2 cents. So yeah are u guys pro dungeon or pro open world?

ANet apparently has metrics which suggests that dungeons — as they exist in GW2 — aren’t all that popular among the overall population.

It’s unclear if that takes into account the fact that dungeons are largely the same since release. And it certainly doesn’t tell us if it’s because too many think they are too difficult or too many think they are too easy.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

Let’s wait until they announce what “challenging group content” is. Could be raids, could be dungeons. Who knows.

Can not control the grabby hands. Gimme raids! \o/

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

They switched their instanced party focus to Fractals.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

They switched their instanced party focus to Fractals.

And, they’re changing them to be like dungeons

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

I think my biggest frustration with the Guild Wars 2 game & world is the lack of “open world” dungeons.

The first run I ever did in an open world dungeon was Caer Sidi in DAOC, and that was horrible beyond description. Laggy, hordes of people literally falling over each other while mobs bugspawned through walls and such stuff. Took me a whole sunday where I questioned my own sanity and also armed with the question if that really was time well spent when I watched the megabosses of that dungeon fall in no time. Obviously not even Mythic thought someone would be so persistent to actually run that behemoth and did not make them particulary hard after you had fought through legion of hard trash mobs and turned the castle inside out.^^

And i would not put my hopes up to high if I were you. Numbers don´t lie, and if Anet indeed has credible numbers that support the idea that dungeons don´t carry their weight in attracting and keeping players in the game, there won´t be new dungeons. ractals probably take the place of stationary dungeons with the more than blunt attempt of Anet ot make them even more accessible and quick to pull through. If I had made lvl 80 in the early days of Fractals, I would be royally mad if I were still playing now.

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

Dungeon team has been disbanded.
Anet has used metrics so they probably saw that very few amount of players even do dungs… thus leading them to just say “ok, no more focus on dungs”
Truth is, dungs got stale and boring and repetitive after a year so most players just quit doing them outside their daily gold run. Thats what happens when you don’t decide to change anything… ppl get bored and leave

Open world is their focus.
Spamming auto attack, and getting rewards so everyone is a winner and they can also show off their sparkly new dresses to everyone in the zerg. Its a win win for casuals, which is the overwhelming majority in this game.

Thats the meta, I don’t see it changing until we get more news of this “new challenging content”

For god sakes, the most rewarding activity currently in the game is running in circles in SW opening chests with shovels to get more champ bags per hour than you can count. Could it get anymore casual than that?

Posted by: Tao.1234

Tao.1234

Thats the meta, I don’t see it changing until we get more news of this “new challenging content”

Killing Zhaitan was challenging.

Suspended for telling Like it is.
Anet gave birth to Gw2 – Anet killed Gw2.
Murican law 2015.

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

Anet abandoned dungeons for open world content where any mouth breather, afker, leecher, etc can partake without being left out.

Posted by: beastie.4536

beastie.4536

I too missed the GW1 open world style 8 men dungeon like UW and FoW.

Mike O’Brien: "We don’t make grindy games — we leave the grind to other MMOs.”

Posted by: Jockum.1385

Jockum.1385

Spamming auto attack, and getting rewards so everyone is a winner and they can also show off their sparkly new dresses to everyone in the zerg. Its a win win for casuals, which is the overwhelming majority in this game.

On the other hand the only teamcontent are dungeons. Open World is singleplayer content.

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

Why make more dungeons when so many of the people that play them are intent on skipping as much of them as possible?

Not really a good investment for their clearly limited team resources.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

On the other hand the only teamcontent are dungeons. Open World is singleplayer content.

You’re forgetting Fractals.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

Why make more dungeons when so many of the people that play them are intent on skipping as much of them as possible?

Basically this in a nutshell^^

Jockum.1385

I do the same in open world content. I’m not alone, many people just pass enemies without killing them and some even bring a speedbuff.
Why make more open world content when so many people just skip through it? Why produce event chains like SW when people are using taxis to get into a 90% SW?
……..

Pockets.3201

I do the same in open world content. I’m not alone, many people just pass enemies without killing them and some even bring a speedbuff.
Why make more open world content when so many people just skip through it? Why produce event chains like SW when people are using taxis to get into a 90% SW?
……..

Anet is, admittedly, pretty bad about giving people incentive to actually play through content. They just backload all the rewards at the end.

I also avoid random enemies in the field due to lack of reward for killing them.

Posted by: Bubi.7942

Bubi.7942

Fractals for example were the result of people wanting that “endgame” grind, which was a lot more popular at launch with all the WoW players.

I would like to add 2 things to this:

1. I never played WoW and I could see that endgame is severely lacking.

2. a) Fractals (and all content for that matter) was popular at launh cause it was new. Since then, a lot of players have “maxed” it.

2. b) Fractals are basically the same from 1-10, 11-20 etc.. Not really as progressive as announced (so 5 difficulty levels).

2. c) The rewards are the worst for any dungeon.

Posted by: HamHat.5201

HamHat.5201

I would like to see raids, new dungeons, and better ai. Tired of everyone wanting to glitch to win.

Posted by: Civilis.2547

Civilis.2547

I’m trying to understand what the need for new dungeons is.

I can understand the desire for new instanced small-group content, but if that’s all you are looking for, ANet seems already dedicated to creating instanced small-group content for the Living Story. Likewise, the unique skins that were the reward for doing the dungeon over and over now seem to be tied to the Living Story.

Right now there are 25 explorable dungeon paths. How many get run on a routine basis? You could add another 25 explorable dungeon paths and I don’t believe that the number that get routinely run would change. If the new paths are better on a return per time spent basis, they will replace the old paths as far as which get run routinely; if not, they’ll get run once for the achievements/novelty, then never again.

Wanze.8410

And guild missions and world bosses.

Civilis.2547

Given the megaserver, those don’t really seem to be team content at the moment. There are some times when we’ve been able to run Guild Missions as a Guild without the zerg, and those are fun, but often you just have to run with the zerg. For some Guild Missions (cough Save Our Supplies), we have to run with the zerg because our small Guild can’t complete them. I’ve had a lot of fun running missions like Proxemics Lab with just our Guild. On the other hand, I’ve had just as much fun teaming up with a couple of small Guilds to run Guild Missions like Scratch Sentry Defense. Hopefully the changes to Guild Missions will give us more of the fun group content and less of the annoying impossible group content.

Jerus.4350

I’d say only a few world bosses qualify. While there is a massive team at most, they aren’t something you really work together on, just all stand in a pile and pew pew together. I wouldn’t call that a team, more like a mob.

SkiTz.4590

Because whats the point of killing trash?, thats not the goal of a dungeon, to kill everything. It’s 100% anet’s fault that we skip stuff.

It’s anet fault for making such a bad reward design.

The ONLY reason anyone does dungs is the daily gold reward. THAT is the goal of the current dungeon reward system.

Players want to get in the dung, finish the paths ASAP, get the easy daily gold reward, and go back to doing whatever else thats worth it their time (wvw, pvp, silverwastes, etc)

People love dungeons, no one has really complained about dungeon in terms of content in gw2.

The complain is the disasterous reward system.

People ONLY run dungs for 1 reason. To get a daily gold reward, that means the goal for most players is to just finish the dung ASAP to achieve their daily gold. NOTHING else is worth a crap in the dungs. Killing trash is pointless , thus skipped.

Pockets.3201

Because whats the point of killing trash?, thats not the goal of a dungeon, to kill everything. It’s 100% anet’s fault that we skip stuff.

The ONLY reason anyone does dungs is the daily gold reward. THAT is the goal of the current dungeon reward system.

Players want to get in the dung, finish the paths ASAP, get the easy daily gold reward, and go back to doing whatever else thats worth it their time (wvw, pvp, silverwastes, etc)

People love dungeons, no one has really complained about dungeon in terms of content in gw2.

People ONLY run dungs for 1 reason. To get a daily gold reward, that means the goal for most players is to just finish the dung ASAP to achieve their daily gold. NOTHING else is worth a crap in the dungs. Killing trash is pointless , thus skipped.

I kinda covered that in a later post. The rewards bit anyway.

Though if people are only running them for the gold reward its kinda difficult to believe they love dungeons. If something was really fun I’d likely do it anyway.

SkiTz.4590

Though if people are only running them for the gold reward its kinda difficult to believe they love dungeons. If something was really fun I’d likely do it anyway.

Ppl do love dungeons….. thats why ppl are still running them.. because its enjoyable enough and quick enough so its worth the daily run for the gold…

but thats literally IT. There is no point of continually running dungs after you got your daily reward dude…dungs haven’t been changed in YEARS… why would you run something that has been done over 100k times?

Understand this, ANET gave up on dungeons, not the player base.

Jerus.4350

……..

Anet is, admittedly, pretty bad about giving people incentive to actually play through content. They just backload all the rewards at the end.

I also avoid random enemies in the field due to lack of reward for killing them.

So your reasoning for dungeon being bad carries over to the entire game then? How is that a negative commentary on dungeons then?

As an aside, I don’t do dungeons/fractals/anything for gold. I’m content with the pittance I make from just having fun, considering I don’t spend much. I play for the fun and friends. I enjoy doing fractals the most, and when I do dungeons it’s often low manning or screwing around with bad builds or things I haven’t mastered yet. Arah is the only dungeon I really enjoy, the rest are more annoying than fun to me, but with friends that can change by doing silly stuff.

(edited by Jerus.4350)

Civilis.2547

Ppl do love dungeons….. thats why ppl are still running them.. because its enjoyable enough and quick enough so its worth the daily run for the gold…

but thats literally IT. There is no point of continually running dungs after you got your daily reward dude…dungs haven’t been changed in YEARS… why would you run something that has been done over 100k times?

You seem to be contradicting yourself: Is it the dungeon they love, or the reward for doing the dungeon they love?

What changes could ANet make that would make the dungeons enjoyable aside from adjusting the time / reward ratio? If ANet changed some of the rarely run dungeons to make them more rewarding, people will still only run those dungeons that provide the most reward; likewise, making the easier dungeons harder will cause people to adjust to favor the dungeons that now favor the best rewards, or cause some people to stop doing dungeons entirely.

SkiTz.4590

You seem to be contradicting yourself: Is it the dungeon they love, or the reward for doing the dungeon they love?

What changes could ANet make that would make the dungeons enjoyable aside from adjusting the time / reward ratio? If ANet changed some of the rarely run dungeons to make them more rewarding, people will still only run those dungeons that provide the most reward; likewise, making the easier dungeons harder will cause people to adjust to favor the dungeons that now favor the best rewards, or cause some people to stop doing dungeons entirely.

simple – hard mode dungeon. Adjust the rewards accordingly. They dont have to be the “most rewarding system in the game”… just some kind of 5 man/group content that a lot of guilds would love to see / run.

Granted we have fractals, but thats it. So few instances of group content…

Now I will say this – hopefully the new challenging content reveal will be 5man+/group related instead of this open world zergy stuff like Silverwastes…

There’s really not much a point to complain about dungs at this point. Just hold off and wait to see what this new challenging group content is gonna be in HoT…

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

It is obvious why the dungeon team was disbanded. Dungeons have the worst community in the entire game. It is the only source of class discrimination and gear discrimination PVE side. This is contrary to Anets goal of having everyone do anything and everything, no judgement.

In the open world, any player’s flaws are hidden amongst the zerg.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Jerus.4350

Considering running in circles in SW (or even doing the events) is far better money than you get unless you seriously speed run (read not pug speed run that take 2X as long as guild runs) dungeons, I’d say the fact that people still regularly PUG dungeons is proof that there are people who enjoy dungeons over the alternatives at the very least.

Pockets.3201

……..

So your reasoning for dungeon being bad carries over to the entire game then? How is that a negative commentary on dungeons then?

As an aside, I don’t do dungeons/fractals/anything for gold. I’m content with the pittance I make from just having fun, considering I don’t spend much. I play for the fun and friends. I enjoy doing fractals the most, and when I do dungeons it’s often low manning or screwing around with bad builds or things I haven’t mastered yet. Arah is the only dungeon I really enjoy, the rest are more annoying than fun to me, but with friends that can change by doing silly stuff.

I didn’t say dungeons were bad, my initial post just asked why they’d make more when people do their best to bypass as much of them as they can. Which brought us to how rewards are handed out.

Just so happens that much of the other content has the same issue. No reward for the trip, just one for being there at the end. I can only think of Tequatl as an exception.

SkiTz.4590

It is obvious why the dungeon team was disbanded. Dungeons have the worst community in the entire game. It is the only source of class discrimination and gear discrimination PVE side. This is contrary to Anets goal of having everyone do anything and everything, no judgement.

LOL. Dungeon community is perfectly fine. That is not the reason anets dung team was abandoned. NO ONE is forcing you to speed run or join PUGS that clearly say they are speed running.

You are free to start a LFG that says casual/relaxed run.

IT WILL FILL UP IMMEDIATELY.

There’s TONs of players that aren’t looking for speed runs

Why are you hating on people for wanting to start a group thats goal is to finish the dungeon asap?

Both LFGs are perfectly accepted (speed running minmaxers and casual runs). Just avoid the group that you don’t want to be a part of. No one will give you crap.

Open world community can be toxic as well.
Plenty of trash talking in teq maps that aren’t being 100% perfect.
I remember how toxic the map chat was during twisted marionette platform fight failures.

(edited by SkiTz.4590)

arakkune.1429

I swear to god the title was why does anet hate dungeons show yourself whoever changed it!

SkiTz.4590

……..

I didn’t say dungeons were bad, my initial post just asked why they’d make more when people do their best to bypass as much of them as they can. Which brought us to how rewards are handed out.

Just so happens that much of the other content has the same issue. No reward for the trip, just one for being there at the end. I can only think of Tequatl as an exception.

Thats why we are currently in a silver wastes meta..
Outside of daily runs (fracs, dung, some world boss events), everyone is in silverwastes zergin it up and running in circles or grabbing shovels and digging for ridiculous amounts of gold per hour…

Rewards are not balanced , thats why PvE is such a stale state. Everyone is doing SW. Nothing comes close to its rewards.

Jerus.4350

As said players are berated if they fail their breach boss or don’t waypoint the second they die. Mhm, dungeon community is so terrible and the open world is so amazing.

Wanze.8410

I’d say only a few world bosses qualify. While there is a massive team at most, they aren’t something you really work together on, just all stand in a pile and pew pew together. I wouldn’t call that a team, more like a mob.

So whatzs the difference to the current dungeon meta of stack and kill?

Jerus.4350

Is it worth describing or are you just being silly? Simply put, when I go to do Shatter, Fire Elemental, Svanir Shaman, Karka Queen, Jungle Wurm, Mk II, or Shadow Behemoth I equip a range weapon, run to the area, press 1 when it starts and tab back out to waste time on the forums. If I try doing that same thing in a dungeon I’ll not be in there very long and surely won’t finish.

Jockum.1385

I’m trying to understand what the need for new dungeons is.

Some players prefer to play as a team, which is not required in open world. Doing vistas together is a bit….boring, and I think there are more people lfg for dungeons than for vistas.
Killing a boss as a zerg requires little/no teamwork. Other players could be replaced by bots and nobody would realize it.

Quite a lot of dungeons paths are done routinely.

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

ANet apparently has metrics which suggests that dungeons — as they exist in GW2 — aren’t all that popular among the overall population.

It’s unclear if that takes into account the fact that dungeons are largely the same since release. And it certainly doesn’t tell us if it’s because too many think they are too difficult or too many think they are too easy.

Yes. A-Net goes by metrics, however, ALL of those metrics are flawed, quite literally because they only measure attendance, if attendance falls off or rises, these metrics do not measure WHY that happens. Also, there is no in-game exit survey here such as found in other games in the genre even on F2P games when you uninstall them.

For 2 examples about A-Nets flawed metrics:

Dungeons : At game launch until about 1 year into the game (attendance wise) Dungeons were great, a ton of people did them, and they peaked around 6-9 months after game launch. This is visible on metrics.

Problems became apparent such as zerker meta, poor AI, poor loot, etc. A-net looked at forums, but did nothing, and the attendance for dungeons fell and continues to do so to this day. So now less and less attention is given due to a self perpetuating falling metric which in turn keeps making it worse and worse.

WvWvW was a bit different. Even T8 servers could que up 2-3 maps half the days a week, now they are ghost towns. Most WvW players supported A-Net by buying gems and various skins etc. I know a few that would buy chest keys even though they never got anything out of em. etc. etc. And they have done all that so that it would show up on A-Nets metrics. Literally. Entire communities, servers, of WvW players have financially supported A-Net from and in WvW.

And what did A-Net do ? They absolutely, totally kittened all those people over. Like really really badly kittened them over. They took their money and put it into stupid kitten like LS that no one wanted it to go to.

naturally, over time as this + all the rest of the neglect for the game mode has lead to people leaving it to the point where the whole thing is basically dying now except the top 5 servers.

I’m not sure if this was caused by bad metrics, or ignoring metrics, or just flat out gross incompetence on the part of business management, or gross incompetence on part of the staff (being incapable / unqualified to actually work on the solutions). Or any combinations of these factors.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

Jockum.1385

It is the only source of class discrimination and gear discrimination PVE side. This is contrary to Anets goal of having everyone do anything and everything, no judgement.

It’s Anets fault. In a game in which only dps matters and no healing or tanking (= no trinity) its bad to have different dps. And its really bad have such a huge spreaded dps.
A good group can kill a boss before he is able to do anything worth mentioning it. A low dps group can fight the boss for a really long time making him much more difficult or even fail at some dps checks.

In a zerg you can go afk, it makes no difference. It makes no difference which skill you use or if you even use any. In dungeons it matters. If a guard fails to bring stabi or wall of reflection your team might die. An open world zerg is not wiping, when one player failed to use stabi. In dungeons you need other players which know what to do. Which causes a bit discrimination, yes.
But imho GW2 doesn’t need to be an online game except for teamcontent. Dungeons. Open world stuff could also be done offline with a zerg of npcs. Maybe guild mission are an exception.

arakkune.1429

Actually what i was thinking is why do we get short parts of dungeons like the molten one in fractals and why didnt we keep the whole one that was one of the best the gw team has produced if there are dungeons like the molten facility i think the comunity might be happy (this is not based on my opinion but the opinion of the comunity when it was released)

Civilis.2547

simple – hard mode dungeon. Adjust the rewards accordingly. They dont have to be the “most rewarding system in the game”… just some kind of 5 man/group content that a lot of guilds would love to see / run.

Granted we have fractals, but thats it. So few instances of group content…

Now I will say this – hopefully the new challenging content reveal will be 5man+/group related instead of this open world zergy stuff like Silverwastes…

There’s really not much a point to complain about dungs at this point. Just hold off and wait to see what this new challenging group content is gonna be in HoT…

Nobody is going to do a harder, longer dungeon unless they’re one of the elite dungeon runners now. What you’re asking ANet to do is spend the time developing something that will get a fraction of the interest that the current dungeons get.