Why are there still CoF speed runs?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DandySlayer.7019

DandySlayer.7019

I thought DR was suppose to stop this? But it hasn’t and I was wondering why do people still do it if there getting hit by DR? I asked some obnoxious fellow in front of CoF that was shouting for one more person and he only answered me with MOOLAH and nothing else. When I asked him why do it when DR is in place he told me that he didn’t want me and to shut up in a not so nice way lol. So why do people do it multiple times in a row if DR kicks? I don’t get :/

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

People do CoF speedruns even after hitting DR because of the Molten Cores, Rares, and the fact the Silver still rewards them at the end. It’s also good for grinding tokens even with the reduced rewards (though you can switch to an alt an hour or two later and get max reward.)

People like me grind CoF because we want Volcanus!

Posted by: Thomassassinate.9370

Thomassassinate.9370

Whats more annoying imo is dudes who dont accept guardians.

You want me to make a warrior and make him lvl 80? Aint nobody got time for that…well i don’t at least.

I play hypocrite though and make 3 warriors and 1 mes join me instead. Some immediatly leave if im a guardian but usually they dont.

Posted by: DandySlayer.7019

DandySlayer.7019

People do CoF speedruns even after hitting DR because of the Molten Cores, Rares, and the fact the Silver still rewards them at the end. It’s also good for grinding tokens even with the reduced rewards (though you can switch to an alt an hour or two later and get max reward.)

I do it every 2 hours for maximum benefit so it puzzles me when people run constantly.

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

I do it every 2 hours for maximum benefit so it puzzles me when people run constantly.

Silver, Rares, and Molten Cores. People like me are going after Volcanus.

Also, it’s fun. I’ll join anyone here who wants to do a CoF p1+p2 run, just pm me ingame!

Posted by: Awesome.6120

Awesome.6120

Some people are getting bugged and the DR stops at like 20 tokens and silver per run so they are just running it constantly.

[SFD] – Maguuma

Posted by: Thereon.3495

Thereon.3495

Its a dungeon thats so quick to complete (path 1) that its worth grinding through the DR. I personally dont grind it but I understand the reason behind it.

Thereon Avenrise – former [Noes] Officer – Piken Square (EU)
Retired and living in a shack. Relaxing!

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

Yet another reason why DR has not helped the cause.

How long does it take to do the P1 and P2? I never bothered to speed run dungeons, however, am curious to know the time/reward frame.

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

Posted by: Isslair.4908

Isslair.4908

Silver from champs doesn’t get reduced. Molten cores\lodestones are nice. Som people even get rares there.

I prefer AC though >_>

How long does it take to do the P1 and P2?

You can do P1 in less than 7 minutes with good party. P2 is longer, since events there have fixed length.

EU Aurora Glade

Posted by: Phoenixfudge.5290

Phoenixfudge.5290

With a decent group you can do a path 1 run in 15 minutes. With a good group you can do it in 10 minutes. I know this because I have completed path 1 over 3 times within the effects of 1 omnomberry bar. From what I’ve observed, this disgusting DR only effects the end reward which starts at 60 tokens + 26 silver and goes down every time. However, it doesn’t effect the boss loot. Bosses always drop 10s and final bosses drop around 14s. You get 40% more silver from the bosses with omnomberry bars too.

I farm cof and ac whenever I can, it’s good reliable money for people who simply cannot rely on lucky drops.

Beat the RNG, run cof. Do it while you still can because I am sure scumbag anet will nerf this very soon. You know what? They will probably go as far as to ban people who farmed cof under the reason of exploit.

(edited by Phoenixfudge.5290)

Posted by: The Gates Assassin.9827

The Gates Assassin.9827

Whats more annoying imo is dudes who dont accept guardians.

You want me to make a warrior and make him lvl 80? Aint nobody got time for that…well i don’t at least.

I play hypocrite though and make 3 warriors and 1 mes join me instead. Some immediatly leave if im a guardian but usually they dont.

kitten please. You’ve got nothing to complain about. If you want a misunderstood profession, go make an engineer.

Main: Raine Avina (Engineer)
Message me any time in game.

Posted by: Vayra.3290

Vayra.3290

Yet another reason why DR has not helped the cause.

How long does it take to do the P1 and P2? I never bothered to speed run dungeons, however, am curious to know the time/reward frame.

I’ve done p1 in about 6 minutes and p2 is a little bit longer (maybe 15-20? Never really timed p2) since you have more events you need to do and they’re longer.

The Unnamed[ThUn] – Desolation
Vayra – Elementalist
Forkrul Assail – Mesmer

Posted by: MeateaW.3519

MeateaW.3519

If I have the time I try to do CoF P1 twice in a row; it is quick enough; and even my average (but cofp1 experienced) group of 4 + whatever random we pickup can do it twice in ~25 minutes.

sigh

Posted by: Namu.5712

Namu.5712

Because it still is good money/rewards for 6-10 minutes of your time… cant farm that amount anywhere else in the game back to back in such a short time frame.

Also I really don’t blame him for being rude to you because honestly I would be annoyed if some random person just started questioning how I spent my time in game like I was being bad or doing something wrong. Its like a little kid sitting there asking why after every answer you give. Its cute when a kid does it, but down right annoying when a grown adult is doing it. Use google next time and save someone the irritation of answering non important questions because you don’t get it.

Your like the guy that walks up to someone drinking a coke and says why do you drink that? “because it tastes good, I like it”
Why? its not even good for you with all the, blank, blank in it.
“seriously dude? shut up and go away wtf…..”

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

See if this stuff could be found as easily in open world or WvW you wouldn’t have CoF speed runs…

Posted by: Weindrasi.3805

Weindrasi.3805

DR doesn’t matter, you still get good stuff out of it. CoF path 1 takes anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes, depending on your luck and you get good items, gold, and flame statues for every run. Even at a super low DR, it’s quick money.

Also, to the people complaining about elitist groups (Warrior and Mesmer-only), most groups don’t give a crap as long as one mesmer comes along. You can find a group in about two minutes any time, any day by going to http://gw2lfg.com/
If the rejection still bugs you, make a mesmer or a warrior :P

If Arenanet are going to be kitten and nerf CoF, I wouldn’t be surprised. They have a sadistic pleasure in letting us find good ways of making money and then taking them away because of “exploits hurr”. And banning the people who were smart enough to find efficient income sources.

At any rate, beyond the good money income, CoF is just… fun. It’s a surprisingly enjoyable grind, and if I want to kill time CoF is the solution.

(edited by Weindrasi.3805)

Posted by: Wasabi Kitty.8247

Wasabi Kitty.8247

The completion reward of 20 tokens 26 silver is what is affected by DR. Usually it gives you 10 tokens/13 silver, then 5 tokens and 6.5 silver and so on.

Now, even with this taking place you still get :

14 silver from slave driver (with omnomberry)

10 silver from the chest after alcolytes

21 silver from the last boss (with omnomberry)

as well as 3 bags of coins for about 7 silver

So a little over 50 silver just from that. You also get any rewards from chests (today I got an exotic staff called death wish that I sold for 11 gold)

So lets say an average of 60 silver per run. If you’re doing runs that take 10 minutes (including time spent entering and starting the run) then that’s 60 s x 6 for 3 gold 60 silver every hour, plus several tokens. Lets say you get 90 tokens an hour (usually it’ll be more) that’s 3 rares so if you get just 3 ectos with that then you’re getting 4 gold 50 silver in one hour.

And here’s where things get nice. You can actually outrun the DR. If you’ve ever wondered why people don’t want to take necros, guardians, eles, engineers to CoF this is why, because that extra couple of minutes can make the difference of whether or not you beat DR.

If you run fast enough, you’ll continue to get 20 tokens, 26 silver at the completion of each run. So that 60 silver per run becomes 86 which means with 6 runs an hour then you’re getting 5 gold 16 silver in coin, plus 150+ tokens each run (which on average will net you around 4-5 ectos) meaning you’re making 6 gold an hour or more.

It’s completely unparalleled money for time when it comes to PvE in this game.

It’s why I expect it will be nerfed in some way, either the path becoming harder or the rewards becoming lower, in the upcoming patch.

Anet make Rev great again.

Posted by: Khal Drogo.9631

Khal Drogo.9631

If you run fast enough, you’ll continue to get 20 tokens, 26 silver at the completion of each run. So that 60 silver per run becomes 86 which means with 6 runs an hour then you’re getting 5 gold 16 silver in coin, plus 150+ tokens each run (which on average will net you around 4-5 ectos) meaning you’re making 6 gold an hour or more.

How does one “outrun” DR? You mean u complete one run in 5 minutes or less you dont get DR in the second consecutive run? I dont think DR works like that.

Apologies to those who may find my posts on GW2 forums offensive and hateful.

Posted by: Rhaps.8540

Rhaps.8540

Gawd, this is CM Story mode all over again, only this time with much much better money rewards. Way to go Anet!

Seafarer’s Rest – Guild Leader The Deamon Army [TDA]

Posted by: Paradox.5498

Paradox.5498

6 runs in a row without CoF getting contested? Never happens on my server…

Posted by: Zogyark.4597

Zogyark.4597

6 runs in a row without CoF getting contested? Never happens on my server…

Usually people from different servers join a party, therefore if one becomes contested then the other player with an uncontested dungeon can enter.

Necromancer Lupicus Solo – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWkSkhmWiDU

Retired Until Expansion or Meaningful Content is Released.

Posted by: Zenyatoo.4059

Zenyatoo.4059

the bosses drop silver, as do some of the chests sometimes.
10 silver from the slave driver, like 17 from the effigy (non-omnomberry, it’s more like 14-15 and 22+ with it)
I think some chests also give 10silver.
Oh and the bags of coins are 1-3, and you average about 2-3 a run. so anywhere from 2-9 additional silver there.

at the very least im clocking about 50silver a run despite the DR. Runs take 5 minutes with a good group, is nice money. Oh and ofc molten cores/lodestones can add buttloads to your profit with a little luck.

Posted by: Zogyark.4597

Zogyark.4597

I’ll be honest here, I’ve done up to 10 runs in a row and rarely hit DR on money, I might hit DR once for 13 silver in the end reward but then the run after it goes back up to 26. Same with experience

Necromancer Lupicus Solo – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWkSkhmWiDU

Retired Until Expansion or Meaningful Content is Released.