Why aren't the cinematics like GW1?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kyrie Dark.3628

Kyrie Dark.3628

I’ve always been curious on this as the way GW2’s cinematics are is absolutely terrible. In GW1 they flowed well with the storyline and didn’t take you away from anything but instead made you feel more in-depth. Although the ending cinematic for Living Story: Episode 2 was good why can’t you go back to doing them the way they were in GW1?

Posted by: Echou.1923

Echou.1923

“Ah, Master Togo! I did not know you were here! The minister has been waiting for you. Please, you are welcome here!”

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

Yeah… I can’t say I was terribly amazed by GW1’s cutscene cinematics. I mean, they weren’t bad, but they weren’t exactly amazing.

Not… that GW2’s have been awe-inspiring either, but they’ve had their moments.

Posted by: Galphar.3901

Galphar.3901

I think what he means is they we actual cinematics and not just you standing face-to-face with a NPC talking.

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

The cinematics where you have you’re character on the left side and a npc on the right side and a picture behind is getting old. Cinematic in gw1 was never like this.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

The cinematics where you have you’re character on the left side and a npc on the right side and a picture behind is getting old. Cinematic in gw1 was never like this.

That type of cinematic was left behind some time ago. We now have the current implementation of cinematic, not the old Storyboard type. You can read the Dev responses about this somewhere on this forum. =)

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

The LS part 1/2 “cinematics” are like the GW1 now, except sometimes with NPC specific emotes.

Take Kasmeers reaction in Fort Salma for example

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

There are two reasons for this. Guild Wars 1 had the same cinematics for everyone. Every single player who played Prophecies got the same roughly 25 cut scenes, maybe 30. That’s was it for the whole game.

Guild Wars 2 has in its personal story several cut scenes per story, 50 personal stories for character and multiple variations. Many many times more cut scenes. Financially, they simply weren’t viable for that many. Now that the Living Story is the same thing that everyone is doing we’re getting better cut scenes again.

One final note. The big deficiency with Guild Wars 1 cut scenes came if you had minion masters or spirit spammers in your party. Then half the time you’d have minions attacking friendly NPCs while they were trying to talk. It was funny as hell, but not very dramatic.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Heh, I remember that! XD In the Vizunah Square mission, when Shiro wastes you all, my minions went uncontrolled and attacked everybody including the speaker, the Emissaries, everybody. It was hilarious.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

…………………………………………………

One final note. The big deficiency with Guild Wars 1 cut scenes came if you had minion masters or spirit spammers in your party. Then half the time you’d have minions attacking friendly NPCs while they were trying to talk. It was funny as hell, but not very dramatic.

lol.. yeah.. i remember getting attacked by something during cinematic… if you happen to be on course towards the survivor title, and die during the cutscene, there goes your effort..

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

GW2 is not Guild Wars.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: sazberryftw.3809

sazberryftw.3809

GW1 had amazing cutscenes? Are you joking? I’m not sure if you were playing a different game to me. XD

GW2 cutscenes will always be better than GW1 cutscenes. Saying that, GW2 cutscenes are still in need for improvement, but they are indeed improving. For me, the Queen’s Jubilee closing ceremony cutscene (before it went artsy) was awful. The mouths didn’t move properly… ugh. But they have vastly improved since then. I mean, just the sheer mix of having the artsy cutscenes now is great for me. I would like to see less ‘idle animations’ in cutscenes though.

EDIT: Are you referring to the original GW2 personal story cutscenes? Yes these sucked. But they are no long being used in any later content and thus discontinued.

| Lithia |

(edited by sazberryftw.3809)

Posted by: Draaq Cz.9642

Draaq Cz.9642

GW1 had for sure better cinematics and the overall effect was far better than in GW2 but they wanted to do new style, time pressured them so they came up with this GW2 face 2 face model – simple, less time consuming, easy to make.

If it downgrades GW2? Yes. I´ve skipped all those because it´s just horrible to watch face2face boring cinematic. Well on the other hand, more time while actual gameplay :-D
You can´t compare GW1 cinematics and GW2´s. It´s like comparing the king and his infant son, yet prince, still sucking milk.
GW2 has great graphics, holiday events. If it is not enough… another story

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

GW1 had for sure better cinematics and the overall effect was far better than in GW2 but they wanted to do new style, time pressured them so they came up with this GW2 face 2 face model – simple, less time consuming, easy to make.

If it downgrades GW2? Yes. I´ve skipped all those because it´s just horrible to watch face2face boring cinematic. Well on the other hand, more time while actual gameplay :-D
You can´t compare GW1 cinematics and GW2´s. It´s like comparing the king and his infant son, yet prince, still sucking milk.
GW2 has great graphics, holiday events. If it is not enough… another story

I guess you’re talking about the old cinematics from launch rather than any of the new stuff.

Posted by: Valky.2574

Valky.2574

cinematics ? can we even call them that they are more like Text boxes that show more of the body other than just the face