Why aren't we able to

Why aren't we able to

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gryffenne.8639

Gryffenne.8639

Why aren’t we able to change around the order of our skills/abilities? Not just 1-5, but all of them? 1-0?

1-5 bug me the most, tho. What is the reasoning behind not being able to swap around/choose the order of our skills/abilities? I would love to, for example, be able to put every character’s hard CC as #5 (or, comfort and muscle memory reasons.. #6) Even after more than a year in GW2, and not in other MMORPG’s, I still, when the /cough “hits the fan” (sorry but “kitten hits the fan” sounds worse than what it is censoring LOL), want to hit 6 on my mouse.

I guess it is like driving a stick. It’s been about 10 years since I’ve driven a stick, but my left foot still looks for the clutch once in a while.

(edited by Gryffenne.8639)

Why aren't we able to

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I agree. I main an ele and I’d love to be able to rearrange the skills for each attunement so that the skills reflect the my “normal” rotation and so the main “run away” skills are on the same key.

I’d also love to be able to put the heal skill at one end of the keyboard. #6? Who thought that was a good idea???

I’d actually love to see them go further and allow us to mix and match skills much like GW1 but I know that is never going to happen.

Why aren't we able to

Posted by: Flakkx.2607

Flakkx.2607

You could still rebind them, hell I use Q E R X C for my skills and 12345 for my abilities.

Why aren't we able to

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

You could still rebind them, hell I use Q E R X C for my skills and 12345 for my abilities.

I was at first going to answer with this too… but it doesn’t solve the OP’s problem. If they want a CC on 5, for instance, the CC is currently different depending on the weapon. This means each time they log in a new toon, they’d have to reassign their keybindings.

~EW

Why aren't we able to

Posted by: Silberfederling.9302

Silberfederling.9302

More options would allways be nice.

Why aren't we able to

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I suspect it’s something to do with weapon swap and other things that change our skill bar.

In GW1 there were a few things that would change your skills bar, like entering the Desolation wurms or going into Costume Brawl, and if you swapped your skills around while in that ‘mode’ the changes would carry over to your normal skill bar. For example lets say I swapped the 1 and 5 skills while in Costume Brawl – when I left the skill I normally had on 1 would be swapped with the one I normally had on 5.

It’s not always obvious but GW2 is built off of GW1 and my guess is this is one thing that did carry over, and since changing skill bars is much more common in this game and they were linking a specific set of skills to each weapon anyway (instead of having a pool you could choose from) they decided to fix each one to a slot.

I agree it is annoying. My main since launch is a ranger and I’ve used shortbow and sword the vast majority of that time, and even now I still get confused by Skill 3 throwing me backwards if I’m using the bow and 2 throwing me backwards if I’m using the sword. I’d love to be able to put them on the same key but it’s not possible.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Why aren't we able to

Posted by: Taxidriver.2043

Taxidriver.2043

UI is like 16 years outdated. Even doac has better UI with potion bar skill bar movable addon bar

Why aren't we able to

Posted by: Flakkx.2607

Flakkx.2607

I was at first going to answer with this too… but it doesn’t solve the OP’s problem. If they want a CC on 5, for instance, the CC is currently different depending on the weapon. This means each time they log in a new toon, they’d have to reassign their keybindings.

~EW

That is very true, kittenilber said more options, people love options. Edit what is kittennibler? I said silber.

Why aren't we able to

Silberfederling.9302

~EW

That is very true, kittenilber said more options, people love options. Edit what is kittennibler? I said silber.

Dunno i think the forum cant speak german

Why aren't we able to

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

~EW

Likely the word before silber was ‘as’. If you put ‘as’ and the first letter of ‘silber’ together, you get a filtered word, which is replaced by ‘kitten’, giving you ‘kittenilber’. =)

Why aren't we able to

Posted by: Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Lobo Dela Noche.5127

It would be nice to rearrange skills but the way weapon skills are setup it would be hard. And probably not work in a way that would be convenient. That is something that, when they showed game play footage while still in early development, I knew would never be in this game. It is annoying coming from DDO to this, where I had 20 toolbars with half filled with items and the others with skills/abilities/spells, but it is what it is.

Why aren't we able to

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Originally, the idea was that limiting the number of options in the UI makes the game more accessible to first-time MMO- or RPG-players. Naturally, experienced players tend to think that more options is always better and that’s true… for their needs. But when you consider how people share strategies and communicate rotations, things get trickier. It’s easier if every guardian understands staff-1 is the same for every other guard; it’s easier if everyone has slot 6 as their heal and slot 0 for the elite.

Is it better for the community as a whole? Does ANet think this idea is still better than offering options? I don’t have any intuition about that — I know that it makes it easier for me to help novices, but then again, no one is a novice for that long.

I also don’t know how hard it would be for ANet to design and implement a more flexible UI (I’d like to see a complete overhaul, so we can resize and move panels). At the same time, there are 100s of great ideas out there for improving the game. I’ve adapted to this system, so I’d rather see ANet work on other stuff that is a bigger obstacle to enjoying the game.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Why aren't we able to

Silberfederling.9302

Originally, the idea was that limiting the number of options in the UI makes the game more accessible to first-time MMO- or RPG-players. Naturally, experienced players tend to think that more options is always better and that’s true… for their needs. But when you consider how people share strategies and communicate rotations, things get trickier. It’s easier if every guardian understands staff-1 is the same for every other guard; it’s easier if everyone has slot 6 as their heal and slot 0 for the elite.

Is it better for the community as a whole? Does ANet think this idea is still better than offering options? I don’t have any intuition about that — I know that it makes it easier for me to help novices, but then again, no one is a novice for that long.

I also don’t know how hard it would be for ANet to design and implement a more flexible UI (I’d like to see a complete overhaul, so we can resize and move panels). At the same time, there are 100s of great ideas out there for improving the game. I’ve adapted to this system, so I’d rather see ANet work on other stuff that is a bigger obstacle to enjoying the game.

Risking to go somewhat off topic here:
I liked that you could move the ui bottons for inventory, friends, guild and logout where you wanted. Why? Do your ask? Well, just because. I had them under my group menue where klicked most of the time as i was a monk in my later days. I do apreciate this is rather useless in gw2 and we do have more pressing matters at hand, ( guild hall decorations placement and deleting for one) but i do think ui should allways be customizable.