Why can blocked people join your party

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dave.2536

Dave.2536

Made a post in LFG for Fractals

“Scale 30 swamp | Zerker | Ping gear on join”

Guy comes in, stands there doing nothing while orbs are being run. Doesn’t say or so anything, so we kick him.

Relist the run. Same guy comes in. Starts running toward Bloomhunger without saying anything, and doesn’t ping gear when asked.

Kicked again. This continues 4-5 more times, even when we try to delay relisting it (including killing Bloomhunger 4man) We’d list the run and he’d join it again right away.

Why is this clear and utter failure of the block system allowed to persist for so long?

Content in this game will always seem
to be faceroll at the high levels, because it
needs to be accessible to the casuals and bads.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Wow. That guy earned the crown for King of Trolls. Takes all kinds, I guess.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

Blocking doesnt work for lfg system, even if all people in the group have you on block. Blocking also does not work for manually joining a group if you have the name of a person in the group who doesnt have you blocked.

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Kicking someone from party isn’t “blocking” them. And, as malediktus said above, even if you had actually blocked him, he’d still be able to see and join your LFG post.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

and if you blocked him how do you know if he pinged gear or not since you wont be able to see his chat msg

Dave.2536

Yes.

I blocked him after kicking him twice (for not saying anything and not pinging gear). He was still able to join the party 3-4 more times.

The purpose of this thread was not to report a bug, but to ask why this terribad “feature” still exists in this game.

Posted by: Lorgus.6148

Lorgus.6148

There’s a limit to how many times one can join the same party. If you recognize his name the second time, I recommend swiftly kicking him repeatedly until he’s temporarily blocked from joining parties through the LFG

Dave.2536

There’s a limit to how many times one can join the same party. If you recognize his name the second time, I recommend swiftly kicking him repeatedly until he’s temporarily blocked from joining parties through the LFG

I haven’t noticed that feature before, and it could be that I’ve had to relist it every time as he was the last member, making the game treat it as a new listing every time.

I have seen a cap on joining parties in LFG, though, and it seems to coincide with the cap on listing them in LFG as well.

Posted by: Marthkus.4615

Marthkus.4615

Guy comes in, stands there doing nothing while orbs are being run. Doesn’t say or so anything, so we kick him.

Relist the run. Same guy comes in. Starts running toward Bloomhunger without saying anything, and doesn’t ping gear when asked.

Kicked again. This continues 4-5 more times, even when we try to delay relisting it (including killing Bloomhunger 4man) We’d list the run and he’d join it again right away.

Why is this clear and utter failure of the block system allowed to persist for so long?

I think anyone who asks for gear pings deserves this.

I join such lfgs to block the group leader then i leave.

Dave.2536

Thank you for posting your useless and irrelevant opinion. Please block me now and ask ANet to never show my groups in your LFG.

I’d be happier than you if we never had to meet in game.

PS: lol @ “group leader”…because we wouldn’t have issues like some of these if we had those

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Yes.

I blocked him after kicking him twice (for not saying anything and not pinging gear). He was still able to join the party 3-4 more times.

The purpose of this thread was not to report a bug, but to ask why this terribad “feature” still exists in this game.

Stop listing in LFG and start asking your friendlist/guild chat.

Dave.2536

Yes.

Stop listing in LFG and start asking your friendlist/guild chat.

I have every right to use LFG and trust that people read the description I post. After all, we can all play how we want, right? Does that sound familiar to you?

Marthkus.4615

I’d be happier than you if we never had to meet in game.

Oh I doubt that.

I for one also support not showing blocked people in LFGs. I block people to avoid them. I’d rather not just end up in groups with them.

Posted by: conn.2097

conn.2097

Hey, if you’re from EU, please block me now so you don’t have to destroy my LFG.
Thanks!

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

This is too bad. I had honestly assumed that someone who was blocked would not be able to join your party without first receiving an invite. It seemed like such an obvious mechanic.

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

When you do LFG, do people join your party automatically or do you have to accept them into the party via a join request?

You have to click to accept them right? Wouldn’t it be your bad for constantly accepting their invite?

Dave.2536

No. They hit join and automatically move into your party, and (if they are the last one) remove your post from LFG.

While they can only join a certain number of parties in a limited amount of time, I can also only list in LFG a certain number of times.

Posted by: Talonblaze.3175

Talonblaze.3175

This would probably be better if instead of the LFG system automatically accepting join requests, there’d be an option to allow one to accept the join request much like it would in open world.

Allowing one to see the name, account tag and class before joining in if so desired.
Would be a fair anti-troll measure and provide some utility to making the LFG tool to work a bit better.

Duty is heavier than death.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

What is the point of gear pings, anyway? I don’t think you need all ascended gear to actually finish a dungeon, right?

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

What is the point of gear pings, anyway? I don’t think you need all ascended gear to actually finish a dungeon, right?

You need AR to complete certain levels of fractals, and you need to use ascended gear to have agony resistance.

For dungeons most people don’t want to play with people using crappy builds, so they want people to ping their equipment to make sure they aren’t. It’s not a completely reliable way to make sure you’re getting people that aren’t totally clueless but it’s a lot better than putting AP requirements is.

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

Good question. Fear not, my dear, it’s definitely on their radar.
:3

One of the most narrow-minded and pathetic posts I’ve seen on GW2 forums in the past few weeks.

Indeed, babe, indeed.

P.S. Since the only way to get AR is through ascended gear (you can’t see the infusion on the pieces, but oh well) and pinging gear is such a terribly toxic thing to do/ask for, I wonder what’s the PHIW’s modus operandi in pugs? Just pray everyone has enough AR? Ask, hoping they can read/don’t lie?
OHHHH, aye, I forgot. The answer is “I’m such a good and selfless person that I don’t mind carrying 3 people with 0 AR through a fracs 30, I can support them with my healing build or solo encounters anyway!”
Not necessarily untrue, I’ll give ya that.

(edited by deSade.9437)

Posted by: IllegalChocolate.6938

IllegalChocolate.6938

Good question. Fear not, my dear, it’s definitely on their radar.
:3

One of the most narrow-minded and pathetic posts I’ve seen on GW2 forums in the past few weeks.

Indeed, babe, indeed.

P.S. Since the only way to get AR is through ascended gear (you can’t see the infusion on the pieces, but oh well) and pinging gear is such a terribly toxic thing to do/ask for, I wonder what’s the PHIW’s modus operandi in pugs? Just pray everyone has enough AR? Ask, hoping they can read/don’t lie?
OHHHH, aye, I forgot. The answer is “I’m such a good and selfless person that I don’t mind carrying 3 people with 0 AR through a fracs 30, I can support them with my healing build or solo encounters anyway!”

modus operandi is to play until you hit the wall. Obviously AR is gonna be a hot topic in 40 and 50 due to the agony ticks that happens so that is something that you can’t just ignore (because that is in fact a wall).

My personal stance on “0 AR through a fracs 30” is that they’ll give enough resources to get us through what we need to like stepping on buttons on the dredge fractal, them dieing instantly at the agony gate on the 4th fractal just means I get the opportunity to practice a solo.

IMHO if someone wants to do any other boss other than 4th fractal with 0 AR(due to the agony gate), he is more than welcome to hone his skills in battle (or try his luck, whatever). If someone think’s he’s good and wants to prove it, I’m not gonna stop him from proving it.

My limit is when someone starts venting his frustration onto other people. Venting your frustration onto other people is not a playstyle therefore not under PHIW ideology.

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

Hmmm, yeah, it’s indeed true that it’s good for soloing. My bff has learned to reliably solo Mai Trin thanks to us idiots dying miserably at each cannon phase back when the encounter was new.
Now I die less! I’m glad he didn’t kittenslap me after every fail, ‘cause I’d still be sore to this day.

I guess my limit… friend/nice friendly pug=ok to slack; deafmute pug=eye twitching; raging pug that uses scepter necro on a 38=apocalypse

E: Slapped me with a kitten? Ahahaha, you can bet I’d still be sore…

Marthkus.4615

Indeed, babe, indeed.

Post what you want (if you want specific things), then trust people.
If in fractals and someone is auto-dying from agony then you kick them and replace them with someone who doesn’t lie (and is rewarded for that by having to do less of a fractal).
If zerking through dungeon, asking for a ping makes zero sense. The whole point of zerk is to run fast and pinging gear waste time.

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

Why shouldn’t blocked players be allowed to join your party? Change the scenario up a bit. You list on LFG – 4 players join. One turns out to do nothing, you kick and block him, done. You ask in guild chat, and a good friend of yours wants to join the run. However, it turns out the one of the other 3 players in the party has blocked your guildmate, who can’t join the party. None of the other 3 will own up to being the one who has him blocked, and none of them care enough to kick each other. At this stage, there is nothing you can do short of leaving the party and starting again.

The block feature is simply too personal and unaccountable to make it key to any major obstructions. It’s there to stop you hearing people you don’t want to hear, and that’s it.

A better solution would be to prevent players who have been kicked twice from a party in a certain amount of time, from being able to rejoin that party via the LFG tool (though a direct party invite would be allowed).

While your situation with that troll is annoying, it’s not a thing that happens very often or to any great extent. People being completely prevented from joining parties, by the game, because of something they can’t control (or at least, not very well), would affect far more people and cause far greater annoyance.

Posted by: Sekai.2987

Sekai.2987

Indeed, babe, indeed.

If in fractals and someone is auto-dying from agony then you kick them and replace them with someone who doesn’t lie (and is rewarded for that by having to do less of a fractal).
If zerking through dungeon, asking for a ping makes zero sense. The whole point of zerk is to run fast and pinging gear waste time.

kicking from party and searching for new members is more of a waste of time , simply pinging your gear takes just a few seconds

the only reason someone would be against pinging gear is because he does not have the gear requested, if someone is full ascend then he obviously doesnt care to ping gear or not

i hope someday the lfg has a checkbox where i can just check up “ascendet only” so only ppl with ascended can join my party and i dont have to argue and waste my time with causuals that play only a hour a day

Dave.2536

Why shouldn’t blocked players be allowed to join your party? Change the scenario up a bit. You list on LFG – 4 players join. One turns out to do nothing, you kick and block him, done. You ask in guild chat, and a good friend of yours wants to join the run. However, it turns out the one of the other 3 players in the party has blocked your guildmate, who can’t join the party. None of the other 3 will own up to being the one who has him blocked, and none of them care enough to kick each other. At this stage, there is nothing you can do short of leaving the party and starting again.

They should not be able to join your party via LFG.

While I appreciate you bringing up this nuance, I feel like it’s not a breaking one.

A better solution would be to prevent players who have been kicked twice from a party in a certain amount of time, from being able to rejoin that party via the LFG tool (though a direct party invite would be allowed).

I would also be okay with this.

EDIT: I feel like the block list solution has further reaching features. Making sure the abusive teammate in PvP never ends up on your team again (although enemy team is not an issue). Dungeon sellers preemptively blocking serial jackers.

etc etc

(edited by Dave.2536)

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

EDIT: I feel like the block list solution has further reaching features. Making sure the abusive teammate in PvP never ends up on your team again (although enemy team is not an issue). Dungeon sellers preemptively blocking serial jackers.

etc etc

True, it would do that. I guess what you’re aiming for is something broadly prophylactic, whereas I would prefer that the automated system does the minimum necessary to prevent specific trolling or griefing (while leaving longer term issues to the report system).

I’d compare it to the mail spam prevention system, which is too harsh, and therefore spends much more time frustrating players who aren’t behaving maliciously, than it does actually stopping spammers.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

You realize that you’re an example of why people can’t trust other players all the time, right? On one hand you’re saying people should just blindly trust other players, but on the other hand you’re advocating the act of trolling people who post requirements that you don’t like.

Marthkus.4615

You realize that you’re an example of why people can’t trust other players all the time, right? On one hand you’re saying people should just blindly trust other players, but on the other hand you’re advocating the act of trolling people who post requirements that you don’t like.

I said they deserve it. Not that I would personally do it or think people should do it.

Asking for gear pinging is toxic, it’s why I block people who ask for it.

Posted by: rotten.9753

rotten.9753

I said they deserve it. Not that I would personally do it or think people should do it.

Asking for gear pinging is toxic, it’s why I block people who ask for it.

And so is joining a party whose demands you don’t meet.

Posted by: Shiyo.3578

Shiyo.3578

Really wish we could see people’s gear and specs

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

Sure. Lets open up another window for discrimination. As if AP and gear pings weren’t enough.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Shiyo.3578

Sure. Lets open up another window for discrimination. As if AP and gear pings weren’t enough.

Nah, being able to see peoples specs/gear would actually be a real indicator of someone’s competence or ability to read LFG descriptions.

Marthkus.4615

Ever notice how people tend to ask for AP thresholds they themselves only barely pass?

Marthkus.4615

Nah, being able to see peoples specs/gear would actually be a real indicator of someone’s competence or ability to read LFG descriptions.

No it just opens up the possibility of people who think they know everything about the game to rant at people who DARE do something different.

Shiyo.3578

Maybe you shouldn’t be joining a zerker experienced speedrun with your apoc geared shadow arts thief.

Posted by: sunset.3056

sunset.3056

OP is right, whether you agree or disagree with the way he plays. This is an obvious flaw with the LFG system and should be fixed.

Marthkus.4615

Maybe you shouldn’t be joining a zerker experienced speedrun with your apoc geared shadow arts thief.

I’ll join exp speedrun groups with non zerker gear. I won’t join zerker exp speedruns without zerker gear because that isn’t what they ask for.

When I see a lone guy asking for “5k+ AP zerk exp speedrun ping gear!” I join that party, block the dude and then leave. I don’t want to play with such people. I am disappointed at finding out that that action doesn’t remove them from joining my party via LFG.

Marthkus.4615

OP is right, whether you agree or disagree with the way he plays. This is an obvious flaw with the LFG system and should be fixed.

Agreed.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Likely because the block feature was implemented first (at launch) and the lfg feature was implemented later, and very likely the integration between the two wasn’t considered or left out for scoping reasons.
Very likely it’s on a programmers backlog somewhere in ANet.

No it just opens up the possibility of people who think they know everything about the game to rant at people who DARE do something different.

Yeah I’m on the ‘no’-band wagon on this one. The benefit is small but the potential for abuse is large.