Why can't Guardians die in PvP?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Merciless.5349

Merciless.5349

Please keep this discussion civil and constructive.

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

“RECEIVE THE LIGHT!” RECEIVE IT!

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

Posted by: Ruggy.7819

Ruggy.7819

Use condition damage on them, don’t care if they can remove it they can’t do it forever.

Use skills that strip buffs, simple and effective.

The low base health is the kitten in the armour, guardians try to cover it up with condition removal which is of course correct but you can overwhelm a guardian pretty easily with mass conditions.

For people running direct damage builds.. well i’d say bring a friend, because defensive guardians arekittenhard to kill with direct damage

Posted by: Merciless.5349

Merciless.5349

I will not claim I am a Guardian expert, but I play Mesmer, and I got a handle on how they play. At first, I tried Staff/GS combo, with putting down all those fields with Staff, and then DPS them with some GS and utility skills. And of course, some shatters.

But no matter what, they seem to stay above 50% HP. If I do get lucky, and I get him/her below 50%, the sky opens up and sends the light from the heavens above and makes them invulnerable and they heal to 75%+ HP.

Condition dmg seems slow in comparison to how fast a Guardian can revitalize himself.

Posted by: Joshewwah.2956

Joshewwah.2956

I die in PvP when I get attacked by more than 1 person.

Posted by: DusK.3849

DusK.3849

Our low health is our crutch. We usually make up for it with some good toughness and heavy armor, but what Ruggy said is admittedly a viable tactic against us Guardians; conditions dgaf about armor, so loading us up on them constantly, even if we have condition removal, will completely mess us up.

Like rock and metal remixes of video game music? Check out my site and get your headbang on!
Also, check out Hardcore Adventure Box: World 1, World 2, Lost Sessions
Main Character: Dathius Eventide | Say “hi” to the Tribulation Clouds for me. :)

Posted by: Rock.7324

Rock.7324

We are the one beacon of hope for our allies. We cannot be beaten or broken. We survive through all the hardships a team can face.
We are the immovable objects.
We.are.the.guardians!

… and you’re hitting in our retaliation fool. No wonder you die.

:)

* ’Ko leži ne beži! *
Rockbaby – Asura Guardian, Desolation EU :)
Rockavenger – Dwarf Paladin, Bronzebeard EU :D

Posted by: ErkiB.8375

ErkiB.8375

Yes they can die and are not overpowered in my opinion. A couple of days ago I played PvP, went one on one with a Guardian (Full HEalth) and it was a battle that laster about a minute and a half atleast but I beat her, Just a week ago, Me and My Guardian buddy when up against 2 Guardians, We beat them. Group vs Group, I take Guardians out as well. Im not saying its easy, but thats the thing with Guardians, if they are defensive, they lose a bit on offence which for me is Gold, I have died against Guardians in a 1v1 battle as well but my point is that they are not overpowered.´PS. Im a Ranger (Longbow)(shortbow)

In GW1, Remember Monks? Now these guys couldnt die in 1v1 battle at all.

If you are having a hard time, I would suggest you take a look at your weapon choice, skills and Traits as the smallest thing can make a huge difference, also you have to move when fighting, Use your Stamina wisely and of course… Practice makes perfect, Keep playing you will improve, Guardians are not easy the very first dozen times you face them, but it gets easier after you figre out how they play.

Hope it helped

Posted by: Pants.8315

Pants.8315

Don’t underestimate aegis. Your first attack on a Guardian that hasn’t been hit yet will almost certainly get blocked. Keep an eye on buffs and time your spike damage accordingly.

Whilst Guardians do have condition clearing, if they keep stacking up it will eventually be overwhelming.

Posted by: Strifer.8679

Strifer.8679

My first play in PvP was with Guardian. I got easily rank 10 in no time no sweat.
Like Pants said 19 hours+ unlimited stack of aegis for Guardians. They have defense and offense. I tried Warrior later. Guess what. Got owned really fast. Warrior is for me like offense and stamina/health/adrenaline. As for Thief, Mesmer and such I believe a more tricky stealthy strat is in its place. What I am trying to say. All professions have its weaknesses and strengths. You should know what weaknesses and what strengths that exist.

DIfferent professions require different gameplay.
One more thing. It is always useful level up at least 40 lvls in PvE before rigging you character in PvP. Practising skills is useful. Always a good thing to know what you’re doing^^

Good Luck

Posted by: Valkyrie.2678

Valkyrie.2678

Let me fix that for you first: “Why can’t I kill Guardians in PvP?”

Well, if you go all dps on a guardian (actually, on any profession) you’ll probably get easily wasted when your 2345 skill is on cooldown.

When it comes to a guardian, you better use a lot of conditions. He’ll have stability if he’s not a newbie so you’ll have to track his boons. (There is actually only one type of play style that you can beat without tracking boons: glasscannon. if you want some win, you better learn how to track boons instead of crying for a nerf)

Guardians can hit you with similar amounts of damage to a warrior can. So you better have some nice HP, or Defense.

As a last note, if you can kill other professions, you can kill guardians as well. You don’t really need to whine.

(edited by Valkyrie.2678)

Posted by: Natural.7013

Natural.7013

If you can’t kill a guardian, you’re doing it wrong. They die like any other class. They have their own weaknesses as well.

Posted by: boris.1248

boris.1248

Believe me i’m reaaaaly trying but can’t… :P

Posted by: Failsociety.4569

Failsociety.4569

As my Necro, I have no problems making them die, very quickly actually.

FFXI: 75 Blm Rdm Blu Thf Smn Nin Bst (Retired since Abyssea) FFXIV: 50 War Blm Whm Brd Pld
Loathe WoW and the Community it brings.

Posted by: ref.8196

ref.8196

“RECEIVE THE LIGHT!” RECEIVE IT!

But did he know his wrath?

As my Necro, I have no problems making them die, very quickly actually.

This. Removing boons kills us.

Posted by: Failsociety.4569

Failsociety.4569

On top of having two ways to remove his boons, one which turns all his boons into negative effects and another that adds a ton on top of his boons, I can then spread them around to anyone who is having a pic-nik with the Gaurdian. Essentially, I turn the Guardian into a walking cesspool of diseases. Its fun <3 (Ps: I love my Guardian too! Fun classes)

FFXI: 75 Blm Rdm Blu Thf Smn Nin Bst (Retired since Abyssea) FFXIV: 50 War Blm Whm Brd Pld
Loathe WoW and the Community it brings.