Why can't I earn ascended through content?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

Trying to craft my ascended armor/weapons currently and realized this game doesn’t really give you the option to earn it through any other means currently. They give you a chance at earning it through fractals/worldbosses but by no means are they reliable ways to get your ascended gear through any means.

I think this game needs an option for you to earn your ascended gear through doing actual “content” instead of farming for gold/crafting materials. This is one of those areas in the game that needs to be worked on, and some difficult content needs with ascended armor/weapons as rewards.

Fractals is the best bet right but the drop rates are obviously broken and I wouldn’t exactly agree that fotm lvl 50 is so difficult that it requires a guaranteed ascended armor/weapon chest drop.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

If you mean ascended armor boxes, they also drop from wvw rank chests for example and LS. I got 2 each from rank chests and the LA Knights.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

SkylightMoon.1980

If you mean ascended armor boxes, they also drop from wvw rank chests for example and LS. I got 2 each from rank chests and the LA Knights.

Ye but this is just rng. Its the same reason people complain about precursors, except with precursors we don’t even have a guaranteed way of getting them like through crafting, unless you want to spend nearly 1k gold.

Posted by: Rangersix.1754

Rangersix.1754

This also goes for many other things in the game; alas that would require them to make content. Adding crafting patterns is simply an order of magnitudes cheaper than actual content.

If you want to see change, voice your opinion about the LS in the various threads that exist about it. The LS is a crapheap that takes away the resources and development time that would otherwise be spent on permanent and more fleshed out content.

(edited by Rangersix.1754)

SkylightMoon.1980

This goes for many other things in the game also; alas that would require them to make content. Adding crafting patterns is simply an order of magnitudes cheaper than actual content.

If you want to see change, voice your opinion about the LS in the various threads that exist about it. The LS is a crapheap that takes away the resources and development time that would otherwise be spent on permanent, and more fleshed out content.

Ye that is true. I don’t like that though, because it just means Anet has taken the lazy way out. They backed themself into this trap by putting all their effort into temporary content.

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Even if there was a way to obtain it for certain without crafting, it would still be a matter of RNG. And if it wasn’t, well there isn’t anything I can think of that give guaranteed loot anyway, with the exception of the skins from the AP chests, dailies, monthlies, and dungeon/fractal bonuses. But those don’t count, as those are more “monetary” type rewards, and I don’t think that was what the OP was refering to anyway.

Yeah it is a grind, but for now, with the way things are, its best that way. Until some of the game mechanics in general change, making ascended gear guaranteed drops just wouldn’t work. As there is no content difficult enough to warrent such a drop.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: DusK.3849

DusK.3849

I actually had a suggestion a while back that involved earning ascended gear, among other things, as a series of long-term event/meta-event “campaigns”.

I think their rationale behind locking ascended behind the crafting menu was the idea that you have to do a variety of content to get the mats, requiring you do do a lot of stuff to finally get your hands on ascended gear. I don’t feel it worked as well as they had planned.

Like rock and metal remixes of video game music? Check out my site and get your headbang on!
Also, check out Hardcore Adventure Box: World 1, World 2, Lost Sessions
Main Character: Dathius Eventide | Say “hi” to the Tribulation Clouds for me. :)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I agree with the idea behind the post: there should be multiple ways to acquire anything in the game. I have a friend that cannot stand crafting and therefore, under the current system, he’ll never have ascended gear.

The original game design always presented numerous options for maximizing gear and leveling up; the current game has more limited options. I hope that trend will reverse and ANet will start to offer more choices.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

SkylightMoon.1980

I actually had a suggestion a while back that involved earning ascended gear, among other things, as a series of long-term event/meta-event “campaigns”.

I think their rationale behind locking ascended behind the crafting menu was the idea that you have to do a variety of content to get the mats, requiring you do do a lot of stuff to finally get your hands on ascended gear. I don’t feel it worked as well as they had planned.

That sounds like a cool idea, I just like the word campaign. I think that was their rationale as well, earn ascended by playing the way you want. It failed, its grindy, boring, and usually comes involves champ trains or some other way of making money.

SkylightMoon.1980

Even if there was a way to obtain it for certain without crafting, it would still be a matter of RNG. And if it wasn’t, well there isn’t anything I can think of that give guaranteed loot anyway, with the exception of the skins from the AP chests, dailies, monthlies, and dungeon/fractal bonuses. But those don’t count, as those are more “monetary” type rewards, and I don’t think that was what the OP was refering to anyway.

Yeah it is a grind, but for now, with the way things are, its best that way. Until some of the game mechanics in general change, making ascended gear guaranteed drops just wouldn’t work. As there is no content difficult enough to warrent such a drop.

Ye I agree, even in games that do put in difficult content, they don’t guarantee you the loot. I get that, but in this game, they are bold enough to put blues and greens in the loot table. I think its BS to think a group of people doing fotm lvl 50, getting dredge/harpy/colossus, and then receive blues and greens. The rewards editors in this game should be fired for even setting up the loot tables so that should be possible.

I think more difficult content could be added to the game but only through instanced content. Its obvious that difficult open world content because a mess and difficult to organize. Like I said, even now I don’t think that a dredge/harpy/colossus combination should guarantee an ascended armor/weapon chest drop, but I think it should have a bare minimum of rares/exotics along with other things.

Posted by: Celtus.8456

Celtus.8456

I’ve gotten 2 ascended items from pvp reward tracks (a piece of jewelry and an armor box). So, more options are gradually opening up. Indeed though, the initial implementation was terribly limited (and there is still much work to do…).

Josre
Zulu Ox Tactics [zulu]