Why can't I get myself to play?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: nvmvoidrays.2158

nvmvoidrays.2158

same team, different game.

so, the only thing in the ENTIRE game you like is hearts? really?

this isn’t the game for you then.

Posted by: Mario.6309

Mario.6309

I am seriously lost and hoping someone might be able to help. This isn’t a hate thread, so please don’t make it as such.
I just can’t get myself to log in anymore. I am still around in hopes that something happens and I can start enjoying the game. I haven’t had this kind of issue with even some of the previous “fail” mmos. I can still to this day casually log into Eve, WoW, DCUO, Runescape, Rift, GW1 and even play through the Mass Effect series again, which I have beaten about 10 times now. For some reason I just can’t get myself to log into GW2. It feels like I such a chore to do anything in the game. I guess I don’t know what’s going on with it, but maybe the game is not for me?

Crafting—Was never a fan, so no surprise here.

Story(lore)—Not a fan at all. Not a roleplayer or anything, a bit too corny for me.

Jumping Puzzles—This to me is a complete joke in terms of “content”, like not even fun at all after the very first one I completed.

Dynamic Events—My biggest disappointment lies here. I would rather have every dynamic event replaced with heart quests, seriously. They take literally zero skill, so easy they can be auto-attacked through without ever dying. Very boring and repetitive imo/

Hearts—I actually like these, easily my favorite content in the game.

Dungeons—Biggest mess ever. There isn’t any strategy involved. Just feels like a big spam fest. I can’t get myself to do another one of these. I have completed just about every explorer mode dungeon without any issues.

Exploring—Nope, not for me. I never understood this.

Just throwing out my opinion on some of the things that the game offers in hopes that someone might have some ideas for me.

Like I said, I really want to like the game. I loved GW1 and just expected much more from the team at Arenanet. Is it even the same team?

I’ve come to something of a similar conclusion.

Fact is, GW2 feels like a huge, grind-y, sandbox-y mess. Most of the content, dungeons especially, feel very shallow and unchallenging for an organized group. WvWvW is supposed to be other “endgame” aside from explorables, but that also feels shallow and got old quickly(plus all the rendering issues). sPvP, same deal.

I’ve come to believe that since the game is supposed to be played for “fun” and be “accessible,” it’s more catered for casual play and messing around. It feels like a sandbox game. Kill this if you want to. Go explore that if you want to. Chase those “achievements” that are nothing but a grind. Grind for that one skin you really want. But there’s rarely an actual feeling of being challenged or making progression. As a result, maybe this game isn’t for people like you and me. But at least I can return to it every once in awhile since there’s no sub fee.

(edited by Mario.6309)

Posted by: minbariguy.7504

minbariguy.7504

Fernling,

Out of curiosity, what kind of stuff do you like to do in the games that you do enjoy? For example, do you mostly PVE or PVP? Do you usually solo or are you more of a “party animal”? I would suggest trying to figure out what exactly it is that you have fun doing in other games and then trying to see if there is a way to replicate that feeling in GW2.

Also, not meaning to get too personal or anything, but is there anything else going on in your life causing you any anxiety, stress, or perhaps even depression? Any or all of these things can take activities we usually enjoy and turn them into a big pile of “meh” without our really understanding why.

Finally, sure, it’s possible that this just isn’t the game for you. It has a very “undirected” style of play that I found a bit irritating and overwhelming at first. Hopefully you’ll find your own way of connecting to the game and enjoying it, but if that doesn’t happen for you soon, then consider taking a break for awhile. Lurk the forums and keep yourself informed, and then when new content is added that appeals to you, you can poke your head back in and check it out.

Good luck!

(edited by minbariguy.7504)

Posted by: Kromsin.6359

Kromsin.6359

Then don’t. No monthly fee. Play as you want. I already know I will get bored if they don’t put in a wvwvw grind.

I feel I have got my money’s worth.

Posted by: BioMasterZap.4350

BioMasterZap.4350

GW2 feels like a Chore and RuneScape doesn’t? well, I am more of a completionist and I found doing stuff in RS far more of a chore than GW2. The game has bored me a bit recently though. First when I hit level 80, then I lost all interest in mapping. Then when I beat story, but I got into dungeons. When I got a full set of exotics from dungeons, I got kinda bored with them (even though I still needed more parts since I was mix matching 2 sets). I did go back and finish world completion, which left me with less to go do. More recently I’ve been working at achievement and alternate characters. I also meet a few people so I now have some contacts in game to do stuff with. Personally I like doing mini-dungeons and jump puzzles with friends (although some are annoying).

I guess I don’t know what to tell you though. I am one of those people who likes to complete things for the sake of completing things. I love dungeons, although after a bit it feels like more of a grind. You didn’t mention sPvP or WvW, maybe one of those? Or try some of other things again. Maybe you’ll like certain jump puzzles better than other? Keg brawl even?

Look on the bright side. At least you don’t have to pay a monthly fee to pop on and try something =P And I am sure they will add more things in future. And hopefully new PvP maps will come soon, I got sick of conquest too (reaper’s rumble was ftw).

Posted by: Eveningstar.6940

Eveningstar.6940

If you’re finding yourself making excuses to log in or forcing yourself to play, you may be burning out. Listlessness is normal; there’s a threshold of hours-played past which a person just loses interest in an activity. In other words, it’s okay to not get yourself to play.

GW2 doesn’t operate on a subscription model. The gameplay is designed less around keeping you on a contiguous monthly subscription and more or around facilitating frequent play interspersed with frequent breaks. You can’t fall behind in this game. There is no gear treadmill to chase. So it’s in your best interest to take breaks.

Take some time off. Come back when and if you actually feel up to playing. Forcing yourself to play when you’re totally burned out just turns this game from an enjoyable activity to a pernicious habit, and before you know it you’re running laps in Lion’s Arch and getting into a Mapchat argument about Doctor Who.

Valerie Cross: Roleplayer, Writer, Tarnished Coast

A Beginner’s Guide to Guardians

Posted by: minbariguy.7504

minbariguy.7504

Hey, thanks for the reply!
My gaming goes in little weird spurts of different things. I would have to say I’m more of a PvE player than anything nowadays. I honestly think I would enjoy the SPvP if there was something other than conquest, I am so sick of conquest in all games.

As of late(last few years) I have became more of a solo player. I don’t like making friends in games, never have. Everyone that I know in RL has either quit or didn’t enjoy the beta weekends, so I am now all by myself in this game. This would be the only game that I don’t play with RL friends, which might say something.

I’ve always suffered from minor anxiety, so not too sure that would make a difference now. I am now married and have a kid on the way, but I am actually very excited about this.

I have a feeling that the game just isn’t for me. It really is unfortunate. Maybe you are right and it is just things that are going on in my life. I’ll just stick around, maybe i’ll wake up one day and enjoy the hell out of the game.

First, congratulations on the incoming “mini-me” you and your wife are expecting!

Honestly, to me it sounds like the reason you are having trouble pinpointing the source of your apathy towards the game is because it seems to be coming from several different sources all at once.

First of all, there’s the game itself, which hasn’t quite lived up to your expectations. You don’t seem to hate it or anything, you just haven’t really connected with it.

Second of all, all your RL friends stopped playing. That would be a downer in anyone’s book.

Third, you’re expecting a child. That’s something major going on in your life right now. And even though you are totally happy about it, it’s still stressful to have to prepare yourself for all the changes to come. And if any of your natural tendencies toward anxiety (even the mild variety) flare up, that’s bound to influence how you feel about things.

I just think that your energy and focus is really divided right now, and the things that would normally push you to keep playing are just not there for you at this time. It happens.

Like I said, keep an eye on things here. We’ll hold down the fort for ya till you feel like coming back! :-)

Posted by: Villious.8530

Villious.8530

Fernling,

Out of curiosity, what kind of stuff do you like to do in the games that you do enjoy? For example, do you mostly PVE or PVP? Do you usually solo or are you more of a “party animal”? I would suggest trying to figure out what exactly it is that you have fun doing in other games and then trying to see if there is a way to replicate that feeling in GW2.

Also, not meaning to get too personal or anything, but is there anything else going on in your life causing you any anxiety, stress, or perhaps even depression? Any or all of these things can take activities we usually enjoy and turn them into a big pile of “meh” without our really understanding why.

Finally, sure, it’s possible that this just isn’t the game for you. It has a very “undirected” style of play that I found a bit irritating and overwhelming at first. Hopefully you’ll find your own way of connecting to the game and enjoying it, but if that doesn’t happen for you soon, then consider taking a break for awhile. Lurk the forums and keep yourself informed, and then when new content is added that appeals to you, you can poke your head back in and check it out.

Good luck!

Holy cow! You Sir, have my undying respect!
This has got to be the best post in an MMO forum I’ve ever seen. Thank you. If only we all could reason and show compassion like that.

Posted by: BowmasterSol.3457

BowmasterSol.3457

I really enjoy the constructive posts so far and thought I’d throw another one your way. I’m in agreement with the “take a break and come back later” opinion. GW2 is a new MMO and will be going through a lot of changes over its first year. It seems like what you enjoy doing are completing adventuring tasks in the forms of questing or dungeons with both challenge and structure. I can relate, because I generally expect the same out of most my games in the RPG genre.

Dynamic events while fun to see in action and be a part of generally don’t offer much challenge. I can probably count the number of different events I’ve seen groups fail on one hand. I would like to see more difficulty tweaking on events game-wide. Scaling should be done with tougher mobs and not just an increased quantity of the usual weak ones. The lack of communication during these events is also a result of low difficulty.

Dungeons definitely need to be tweaked in whole other manner. Players that enjoy raids and content of this nature don’t do it for the long fights, which are prevalent on even the trash mobs. People want to see interesting fight mechanics that make them think on their feet and use teamwork/coordination to figure out how to solve it. I feel that no trash mob fight should take longer then a couple of minutes for teams that have appropriately adapted to the fight mechanic nor should they take more then five minutes when a team just DPS mindlessly but manages to survive. The time saved in doing the fight efficiently should be its own reward.

Bosses should be longer fights but not simply because they have a larger health pool. Boss fights should be long because either they have a more complicated fight mechanic to work out and deal with or they go through multiple mechanics in one fight. I feel five minute fight for an efficient team and a ten minute fight for a high DPS high deathrate team should be appropriate.

These are my own opinions on what needs to be done to get these areas of the game up to where players would vastly enjoy them. I went into great detail, because I feel we may share the same desires. If the current handling of DE and dungeons doesn’t currently appeal to you, then come back and play the game when they get to the point you feel would give you enjoyment rather then boredom or frustration. Either way, have fun with whatever you do. =)

Knowledge is power.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

If you want a challenge in DEs, then quit zerging them. For a start, go attempt to small group (3-4), duo or solo the temples in Orr. Only Lyssa and Melandru require a small group due to their mechanic.

The best thing about GW2 is quitting for a while. You can always come back whenever you want. December, new stuff, January, new stuff, a year from now, new expansion. The game could also completely change. Who knows, maybe the ring of fire will make Orr look like a joke.

By saying you only like hearts though, it sounds like you prefer either a linear experience, an obvious goal/reward or like being told what to do rather than exploring. As you probably know, GW2 relies on the player wanting to explore.

Posted by: CC Ivonne.6782

CC Ivonne.6782

Community Coordinator

Hello everybody,
please make sure you stay on topic, otherwise the thread will be locked.
Thanks for understanding.

Posted by: Fiennes.9568

Fiennes.9568

Also, OP: As one of the other posters said – you’re going through massive exciting change in your life and perhaps you’re finding that hard to replicate in an online world.

Congratulations!

This post has been edited to remove a violation of the forum code of conduct.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: GSSBlunaspike.4153

GSSBlunaspike.4153

ame team, different game.

so, the only thing in the ENTIRE game you like is hearts? really?

this isn’t the game for you then.

Don’t understand how this can be the same team that made gw1. GW1 was such a great game, and it was well thought out. It made playing seem fun. Almost the exact opposite of GW2.

Posted by: Oma Overdose.2069

Oma Overdose.2069

This is image illustrates why I cant be bothered playing. My favourite part was exploring. The charr areas were awesome purely for de ja vu from gw1. The human, sylvari and asura areas were beautiful and colourful. Orr was wacky and cool too.

Then I came to the norn areas. Dear god the map designers just gave up trying here. No creativity. Boring fog and snow capped mountains. Oh look a lake, its gonna be full of quaggans needing my help. Probably with the Krait. I know this because that’s what I found in the last 50 lakes I visited. I pushed myself through two or three norn areas. Then I hit Lornar’s pass where every identical yurt and waterfall is according to the game a point of kittening interest. Boring boring.

Attachments:

Posted by: dimgl.4786

dimgl.4786

I am seriously lost and hoping someone might be able to help. This isn’t a hate thr, so please don’t make it as such.
I just can’t get myself to log in anymore. I am still around in hopes that something happens and I can start enjoying the game. I haven’t had this kind of issue with even some of the previous “fail” mmos. I can still to this day casually log into Eve, WoW, DCUO, Runescape, Rift, GW1 and even play through the Mass Effect series again, which I have beaten about 10 times now. For some reason I just can’t get myself to log into GW2. It feels like I such a chore to do anything in the game. I guess I don’t know what’s going on with it, but maybe the game is not for me?

Story(lore)—Not a fan at all. Not a roleplayer or anything, a bit too corny for me.

Jumping Puzzles—This to me is a complete joke in terms of “content”, like not even fun at all after the very first one I completed.

Dynamic Events—My biggest disappointment lies here. I would rather have every dynamic event replaced with heart quests, seriously. They take literally zero skill, so easy they can be auto-attacked through without ever dying. Very boring and repetitive imo/

Dungeons—Biggest mess ever. There isn’t any strategy involved. Just feels like a big spam fest. I can’t get myself to do another one of these. I have completed just about every explorer mode dungeon without any issues.

Just throwing out my opinion on some of the things that the game offers in hopes that someone might have some ideas for me.

Like I said, I really want to like the game. I loved GW1 and just expected much more from the team at Arenanet. Is it even the same team?

Fact is, GW2 feels like a huge, grind-y, sandbox-y mess. Most of the content, dungeons especially, feel very shallow and unchallenging for an organized group. WvWvW is supposed to be other “endgame” aside from explorables, but that also feels shallow and got old quickly(plus all the rendering issues). sPvP, same deal.

I’ve come to believe that since the game is supposed to be played for “fun” and be “accessible,” it’s more catered for casual play and messing around. It feels like a sandbox game. Kill this if you want to. Go explore that if you want to. Chase those “achievements” that are nothing but a grind. Grind for that one skin you really want. But there’s rarely an actual feeling of being challenged or making progression. As a result, maybe this game isn’t for people like you and me. But at least I can return to it every once in awhile since there’s no sub fee.

This is exactly how I feel. I haven’t logged in in weeks. I just come to the forums to check up on news and general consensus. This game is just uninteresting and I seriously don’t like anything about it.

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

I am seriously lost and hoping someone might be able to help. This isn’t a hate thr, so please don’t make it as such.

This is exactly how I feel. I haven’t logged in in weeks. I just come to the forums to check up on news and general consensus. This game is just uninteresting and I seriously don’t like anything about it.

Well good thing there is no sub fees and you already paid your 60 dollars. Which is a smart move by Anet doing this way. Its impossible to please everyone. I log in regularly and I have other that do too. Some just come back for special event. There is no obligation to play all the time just play when you feel like it. There is no sub fee

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

Posted by: Lyonell.1753

Lyonell.1753

Only 2 things to say, If you got a kid on your way the last thing on your mind should be a game, specially an MMO, go to your family and rise that kid well. Second the game is young, devs at least listen to the people, so if in a year or two the game is still around which most likely will, it might become something challenging and more interesting.

I agree with you dynamic events were awesome at first when everyone was grinding the hell out of them, but now everyone is more into craft to lvl my alt or quit or lives in WVW/Orr farming. I still enjoy most of the game besides the dungeons. Spvp…meh wish it wasn’t conquest…only enjoy such mode in Battlefield.

Posted by: dimgl.4786

dimgl.4786

Well good thing there is no sub fees and you already paid your 60 dollars. Which is a smart move by Anet doing this way. Its impossible to please everyone. I log in regularly and I have other that do too. Some just come back for special event. There is no obligation to play all the time just play when you feel like it. There is no sub fee

I’m sorry but this is such a stupid argument. This business model depends on continued releases of expansions. They’re not getting another dime from many players due to the level of disappointment. So while they made have made money now, their efforts are short lived.

Posted by: Sirevanac.3178

Sirevanac.3178

Well, you don’t like pretty much anything in the game, i don’t know why you play it… I love hearts and vistas, some are quite original (as others are not, of course). Some DE’s depending on the people can be pretty rough. And the dungeons with an organized team who gets the game can do it smoothly, yep. New content will be released, hopefully harder, and we will get more things to do. At the time this is all there is, yeah. But I repeat, you really don’t enjoy almost anything in the game, i don’t know why you play it heh.

Posted by: Pandemoniac.4739

Pandemoniac.4739

I am seriously lost and hoping someone might be able to help. This isn’t a hate thread, so please don’t make it as such.

You’re not in the mood for the type of play GW2 offers. It’s a game, it shouldn’t feel like work. This is why I’ve dumped subscription games all together – I don’t like feeling obligated to log in. I keep a lot of different types of games in the stable – some days it’s MMO, some days it’s turned based strategy, some days it’s a ridiculous casual game that requires absolutely no brain power (I play that one a lot in the 4th quarter because of what’s going on at work).

There’s lots of good stuff out right now, and there are lots of good older games you might have missed that are really inexpensive. Mix it up a little bit – changing the type of game you play is good exercise for different parts of your brain. Or, turn off the computer and start a project. I have those days where I want to play something but nothing in the game library appeals to me. On those days, I feel better if I make something or clean out a closet or accomplish something concrete. If I’m lucky the mood lasts several days so I get a lot done

Don’t ever think you know what’s right for the other person.
He might start thinking he knows what’s right for you.
—Paul Williams

Posted by: Jabronee.9465

Jabronee.9465

To OP, you can get yourself to play if you play 2 or more mmos.
Believe it or not im playing 3 Mmos.
The other 2 mmos i play mainly for Dailies and Pvp for faster combat mechanics.
And GW2 is for the graphics and playing dress up for my main or farm for my alt and also levelling my alt when i got the time. No subs no worries i could log in anytime i wanna.

Try it you’ll enjoy it again. Well i did
Sometimes we need a break from one mmo to the other and vise versa.
If its only 1 then someday you might get burnout or die of boredom lol!

Posted by: Maneating Fridge.6289

Maneating Fridge.6289

Throwing my 2 cents into this discussions here.

I myself have not grown bored of the game yet. Explorable dungeons are still something I do on a daily basis. The problem is that I feel like I’m not achieving anything with clearing a dungeon. The gear you get is identical to an auction house exotic, but the looks are different. I like customization in a game and I’m a fan of matching sets, but right now it feels like I’m just playing the game to get a few better looking items. I appreciate the fact that there is no gear threadmill to chase, but in the end I would’ve wanted a gear threadmill on micro scale. For instance, better PvE gear by doing certain very hard dungeons. This can set you apart from the rest. I mean, what fun is there in playing a game if you can’t be “better than the rest?”

And OP, the game caters a more casual playstyle. Unfortunately. I don’t think that the concept is convenient for a MMO, but that’s just my own opinion,

Posted by: Esras.4387

Esras.4387

I’ve been struggling as well both in terms of logging in (and settling on a profession to play, but thats my own issue hehe.) For me, and perhaps only for me, the lack of true group roles has a lot to do with it. The Holy Trinity, despised or desposed of, as it may be by many (including ANet) not only gives you a specific function, but in my opinon it leads to far less of a chaotic feeling when it comes to things like running a dungeon.

I love the world of Tyria, I love the look of the game and I love love love exploring the world, but when it comes down to the actual Gameplay Mechanics, that for me, is what’s driving me away, or to boredom.

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

All i’m noticing is that i’m getting bored with pvp quickly,the maps,not enough diversity.I really would like to see a kind of kurzick – luxon battleground, attack – defend maybe..something more interesting.

Posted by: Mil.3562

Mil.3562

I love playing as a healer in other MMOs but GW2 removes that and make every class a self-healer. I mean initially it felt different and good but now three months into the game… I don’t know.

I know every class can spec themselves as a healer but it still pales in comparsion to a ‘real’ healer in other MMOs. I believe the same can be said for the tank and dps builds.

I have been playing GW2 everyday since I got it about three months ago. But not anymore. I have not login to GW2 for two days now. I guess I am just bored of doing the same stuff over and over again.

Am I the only one that actually misses the holy trinity? Is the holy trinity system broken? Why fixed it? :P And don’t tell me I should look for other MMO. I am xD

Posted by: aimac.9046

aimac.9046

You just listed a bunch of things YOU don’t like, and expect ANet to fix these things just for you?

just don’t play. Problem solved

Posted by: Mil.3562

Mil.3562

Err.. No. I just listed ONE thing that I missed in GW2. Please read my post again and this time read it slowly.

Posted by: Efaicia.3672

Efaicia.3672

Well, here’s my personal experience.

I loved the game ..I mean..I REALLY loved the game. I adore jump puzzles, I adore exploration. Every nook and cranny! I love it. But…what to do when I am done? I dreaded hitting 80, I dreaded finishing that last PvE map, I avoid WvW, and somehow it doesnt bother me…if I complete those maps, I am done..what drives me to log in after that? So, I don’t WANT to finish. =( so confused

But, exploration in the computer world is very,very limited. Unless the designers FORCE you to take it slow ie; an extreme drop in the rate exp is earned via kills/hearts/exploration or whatever.

My favorite all time game will always be vanguard. It was a shame how horribly bad the release was. I wonder if Anet would take it over and clean it up? =X

Posted by: Zyava.2430

Zyava.2430

It feels like I such a chore to do anything in the game. I guess I don’t know what’s going on with it, but maybe the game is not for me?

If leveling an alt or just regular playing in GW2 feels like a chore, I’d land my bet that you haven’t played any of the korean MMOs – there indeed is its a chore.

Also – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax-_06Acj8Y.

Posted by: Zinwrath.2049

Zinwrath.2049

I find myself in the same boat as RL friends all quitting etc and having a hard time to convince myself to log on. Seeing as everything is obtained through a grind (after you pretty much explored all the content that you wanted and did the story). i find myself in a position i’ve never felt. Everquest 2 had the chasing the carrot feel but the world was more violent and pulled me in..even now ith its dated graphics. GW2 feels (kinda like wow) like a saturday morning cartoon…full of pop culture refrences and jokes that pull you out of any RP feel. Its obviously meant for light hearted casual screwing around fun. And i respect that…but in everquest 2 if i got bored doing dungeons or revisitng old tombs etc, there were always other things to do…i’d spend hours rearranging my house..redecorating it and positioning my trophies. Or i’d jump on the in game “magic the gathering” style card game with friends…just screw around, story was a lot more mataure in that game as well. Not mature like swearing, blood and violence…just a serious tone that really pulled in my interest.

In the end gw2 is what it was advertised..the halloween event was a breath of fresh air.
Right now for me to want to invest more time, they’d have to show more support for mini games…or do massive bug/balancing to the professions and get the spvp e-sport thing going. I’ll admit i found reapers rumble a lot more inovative and exciting than the normal spvp cap the point stuff i’ve seen before in many other games. As for the pve…i’d need some really cool dungeons that actually challenge me.

In the end…i dunno…perhaps its not for me either. But no subscription means i can always check back in and see if they ever fixed those bugs.

Posted by: Ouroboros.5076

Ouroboros.5076

In my opinion, there is SO MUCH to do in this game that there is a part of the population who doesn’t know what to do when they reach their end game. These people like to have one very clear goal : “get to max lvl to get access to the last maps and try to get the best gear”.

GW2 has opted for another approach where max lvl is not really an achievement by any means, and the best gear (in terms of stat) isn’t that hard to get. Instead of one main objective GW2 offers many different objectives which are not a huge accomplishment like the feeling “I made it to the end game and beat it” you get in other MMOs. You can try to kill Zaitan (which is only the end of the personal story), get 100% map completion (which is only the end of the map exploration), get glory in PvP (which has no real goal other than to improve your skills), help your server in WvW (endless battle), do all the jumping puzzles (that’s only the end of a specific game feature), grind some achievements (like kills, exploration or dungeons) …

There is much to do, but no “main” objective to achieve. I can understand that there are many people who dislike this and get lost when their usual main objective (get to max lvl and max gear) isn’t that rewarding in this game.

Posted by: Ouroboros.5076

Ouroboros.5076

One more point for this post : this is why we get complaints from certain people that the game lacks content when in fact the amount of things to do in GW2 is absolutely insane. These people do only consider the content when it exists on their path to their main objective. Everything that is outside of that is non-existent.

There’s nothing wrong with that mindset I’d say (there’s something wrong saying that there’s not enough content in GW2 by the way), I guess it’s just that this game is not made for them.

Posted by: kiranslee.4829

kiranslee.4829

I feel u bro.
I like how the game looks. Wish i can take engine from GW2 , place it over Lineage 2, and go do some pking.
Btw , story iz fun O.O.

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

The only thing you enjoyed was hearts? Lol all of my “what.”

But seriously, if you’re not into story or interested in exploring I have to ask you why are you playing an MMORPG? I am flabbergasted! Since you didn’t mention pvp, have you even tried it? And I mean with a competent group of players with vent/skype because it’s fun as hell. Hotjoin spvp with a bunch of randoms will drive you mad.

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

Posted by: Newsin.1945

Newsin.1945

lol, there is nothing sandbox about this game…. at all.

Posted by: Decrypter.1785

Decrypter.1785

I am feeling the same way , i got to 80 and like w v w but even that now is getting boring due to no real ingame rankings/ladders of guilds . The server hopping just makes w v w a joke tbh

[WM]give us in game ladder

Posted by: Merkator.6351

Merkator.6351

I have lived by the rule “If the game you are playing isn’t fun, you’re doing something wrong.” So if you aren’t enjoying GW2, then you’re doing something wrong.

It’s been my experience, that when I stop having fun in a game my something wrong was I had been playing too much, too long. The solution for that case is to put the game down and take a break. Simple as that, take a break. How long that break is… well that’s entirely up to you. Honestly, both Guild Wars 1 & 2 were both designed with this in mind. Guild Wars 1 even tells you to take a break if you’ve been playing too long, something I kind of miss in Guild Wars 2.

So go ahead, take a break. Don’t feel bad about or pressured to keep playing. If/when you decide to come back, I can assure you that you will have at least a little fun.

Posted by: greg.3792

greg.3792

I played a lot of MMO’s the most recent being Aion, Rift and then SWTOR. I wasn’t a huge fan of SWTOR and Rift’s endgame became dull.

But when I played Aion it kept me going back in because of the PvP. PvP was fully open world so as a single player I could login and find a one-on-one battle. Sometimes I won sometimes I lost but each kill gave you something towards the best PvP armor.

I crafted and gathered a lot too because I needed the money for potions and food that provided an edge in PvP. Not to mention good armor and enhancements that were extremely expensive.

I joined a guild because it was critical if you wanted the best PvP experience for the large world versus world battles.

However Aion lost its fanbase because the grind was overbearing, the PvE players were getting tired of ganked while questing, the worlds were not balanced.

With Guildwars 2 we have even PvP with nothing of interest to grind for. Sorry I don’t really care about my characters look.

Sure I can play other games like everyone says however GW2 as a new game has the player base, plus great game design and I was a huge fan at the outset. Its just the end game PvP is static and there is no real incentive to win.

So its just a casual gamer game, not an intense MMO experience.

Posted by: Maleficus.2367

Maleficus.2367

1 – Weapon swapping and trait system ( Not Casual player friendly at all, too much confusing )
2 – Map is just too big.
3 – Unrewarding game experience.

Posted by: Kso.6458

Kso.6458

Lol weapon swapping is confusing? Traits? The maps are too small, but indefinitely agree the hame experience is unrewarding.

Posted by: ArmitageShanks.4718

ArmitageShanks.4718

Just the opposite for me. Game is ruining my life. Lost my job. Wife has left. Home gone. I now live in my friends shed playing GW2 24/7 snacking on pot noodles and drinking tea out of an old can of dog food.

Just kidding. Am enjoying GW2 lot. Cannot stand the elitism of WoW. Different strokes for different folks. Variety is the spice of life and all that.

Posted by: bojangles.6912

bojangles.6912

@OP

Hate to say it but sounds like you aren’t having fun with any of the game. What you described is pretty much the game besides pvp. This probably isn’t for you. I agree with you a lot on what you said as I stopped playing for now too, but I was made to believe this game was about pvp or at least pvp focused and I am not much of a pvper but wanted to give it a shot with this game and ended up being very disappointed in it.

The good news for us though is it is free monthly anyways. I would just suggest not even logging on anymore until you get the urge. If you keep forcing yourself you will only keep hating the game. As for me I am just hoping and gonna wait for better content and hopefully better pvp.

But you said it best. Having exploration as a main form of content is a joke.

Posted by: Atenhara.2947

Atenhara.2947

For me, the end game is where it’s at no matter what game I am playing. I missed the initial rush of people who made 80 in a couple days so I am left to solo the majority of the content in areas. This is where anet made a mistake I think. The heart events, some skill events and some general content require several characters to be in the spot at the same time to beat whatever it is. I have a 30 engineer with 48 hours played. I go to the auction and upgrade all the gear every 5 levels. But still sometimes in the above mentioned events, I get hammered. Level 30, level 30 gear, mentored down to 12 and 3 level 10’s waste me so fast I cannot even see what happened. Makes it very disheartening at times and feels like I am slogging through slow drying cement.

Posted by: Kpop.7621

Kpop.7621

I find myself in the same place as you, and I’m still trying to put my finger on it. This game seems to offer a lot of things to do: jumping puzzles, sPvP, WvW, map completion, crafting, PvE, dynamic events; I mean really I can’t even think of anything that’s missing from an inclusion standpoint. So why do I get bored 15 minutes after logging in, especially when I used to play ecstatically for the first month?

I’m starting to think that MMO’s may just not be for me anymore. I’ve never hit max level with best in slot gear in any game so fast, and everything that’s left for me to do such as achievements, map completion, and crafting, are just for the sake of saying I did it all. It has nothing to do with them being fun in and of themselves. Those events that I could repeat such as dungeons, sPvP and WvW are all feeling very static as of now despite the technically dynamic nature of them. Part of it might also be that there’s nothing to get anymore: I have no need of gold or karma for anything.

So now I’ve loaded Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition and am having fun with re-living the story. Maybe it’s tone or depth that I’ve been craving; makes me think of why I love the first Diablo as opposed to the new one: technically 3 is great, but it’s missing the heart and soul of what made the game memorable. Right now GW 2 is as predictable as an episode of Storage Wars. Not a great feeling.

Posted by: luchifer.6401

luchifer.6401

One thing I would add is some kind of “traditional” quests along the hearts and dynamic events (I dont know if they are already there in our personal story, im currently level 32 and havent choose my allegiance between scholars, whispers and vigil).

For example, currently we can talk to someone to escort him from point A to point B. It would be nice if we receive a mail from someone in distress, and tell us to escort him or to kill 10 skritts. perhaps in a daily basis and according to our level, for people who are used to the “traditional” style.

And one thing I did not enjoy is to use weapons or having a skill to run faster, they should get rid of that and give us a passive speed bonus either according to our level or via upgrades in our gear. So we dont “lose” one of our slots. This way we wont see warriors running with their banners, or thiefs jumping with their skills, etc. I dont believe Anet wanted us to do that.

And, last, I want to congratulate the game designers, because even if the world is MASSIVE, I always see people even in the least visited cave under the ocean.

Posted by: Sinfullysweet.4517

Sinfullysweet.4517

I am sorry you feel that way OP. I guess that is one of the reasons I am so far behind everyone else, I log in and play at my own pace. I don’t rush to max level in any game because I have learned it is the journey, not the destination, that is important. (Seriously, I have had the game since it came out, and have 8 characters, all a different class and just maxed out all of them to level 10 LOL) So therefore its refreshing to log in, piddle around, and log back out.

When you get to the point of where you don’t want to play, that’s a hard feeling to turn around.

[OTG] ~ [GAME]~ [ROAM]~[AUTH]~ [LOFT]
Current Home: Yaks Bend Former Home: Maguuma/TC/SBI
Sin’s Characters on Gw2efficiency

Posted by: myng.3516

myng.3516

As far as I’ve gotten into the game, I would say midway, I am discovering it to be a bit like many of the free MMOs that I’ve encountered. Of course there are some features that set it apart from them, but the difference isn’t too mind-blowing.

I’m one of the very casual players; I play when I have the time to. That being said, I spend most of my time exploring because along with the lore, I enjoy the view and scenery (especially those from the vistas). My urge to explore keeps me in the game as well as the story (no matter how cheesy/angsty it can get).

Just going to add that I haven’t played GW1 and can’t make any comparisons.

Overpaid, Underplayed

Posted by: SQLOwns.7316

SQLOwns.7316

I think this is better than any F2P MMOs, however I’m not having as much fun as I had in the first. The social aspect is almost non existent, dungeons are a joke, the PvP is limited compared to the original and WvW has just turned into a “hop onto the winning server for the free lootz” fest. Overall worth the money since I was here from the beginning, but I don’t think I could recommend this game to anyone today.

Also, still way too many bugs.

SQL Owns – Elementalist
Dragon Steel [DSL]
Henge of Denravi

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

I can’t bring myself to play either. I jump on for like 30 min, look at the Trading Post, see if there have been any updates, check with Guildies. Then a I think about doing something, but I realize how much time it will take to get people organized and decided upon what they want to do; then there’s the issue of nothing that feels rewarding for playing solo.

I really only want to play for about an hour during a couple weekdays and an hour and a half to 2 hours on saturday and sunday each, but there’s just no clear objectives or rewards that interest me, because everything is so grindy and so far out of reach for the time I want to commit. If I could get cool skins, max rewards, and experience a challenge from playing for 2-3 hours during the week and 4 hours on a weekend, I’d actually play. But as it stands I don’t want to commit any time at all, because the game is such a grind and it takes too long to do most anything.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

Posted by: lorazcyk.8927

lorazcyk.8927

The biggest reason this game is boring to me, is that while there are many fun things to do, doing them alone gets stale really quick.

And then people say, “but you’re not playing alone, there’s so many people next to you!”… but the thing is, those people aren’t playing with me, they’re playing next to me, which is a completely different thing. If there’s two people playing alone at each end of a baseball court, they’re not playing together, they’re just playing in the same place.

I took a month off from the game, hoping it would get better when I came back. As I thought, it’s still boring because, well, playing alone is boring!

Wish I could get a refund, $60 dollars is a lot of money to me so I’m stuck with this game for a while now.

(edited by lorazcyk.8927)