Why can't I hold all these trenchcoats?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: thytosine.6043

thytosine.6043

Answer: I don’t wanna!

-Every freakin’ medium armor chest is a trenchcoat.

-Can we have ideas for more medium armor types that isn’t just coat-tails and bulky coating?

-I get that female humans and norn (and sylvari i think) have a couple choices with skimpier outfits….but I DON’T WANNA LOOK LIKE A GUILD HOOKER!

-There’s like one chestpiece that isn’t a trenchcoat (and it’s variants) and i kind of like it…wish there was more to it though.

-The biggest disappointment about the legendary armor was that it was okay looking armor….THAT TURNED INTO A FREAKING TRENCHCOAT! WHY??!!

Posted by: thytosine.6043

thytosine.6043

Anet if you add any more medium armors…at least give us something that isnt coat-tails and cahooey. like honestly i’d be happy with a vest. (not like the whisper’s vest where it’s a god kitten vest with coat-tails).

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Good luck on your request. It’s something that’s been asked for frequently over the years. It appears that ANet, for whatever reason, would rather make class themed armor than make happy customers.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

There was an Anet video of some kind (don’t remember) released prior to the Legendary Armor where the dev responsible for the Legendary Armor basically acknowledged that they knew the players didn’t want trenchcoats but they did it anyway. So there’s that.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: caveman.5840

caveman.5840

if it is not a trench coat it has a butt cape

there is no cape in the game … but everything has a butt cape

butt capes are like fanny packs … but closer to a golfer who ties a sweater around there waste

(edited by caveman.5840)

Posted by: shadowpass.4236

shadowpass.4236

There was an Anet video of some kind (don’t remember) released prior to the Legendary Armor where the dev responsible for the Legendary Armor basically acknowledged that they knew the players didn’t want trenchcoats but they did it anyway. So there’s that.

I can’t believe he actually admitted that.

I was a power ranger before it was cool.
Guild Leader of Favorable Winds [Wind]

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Watch it again. That’s not quite accurate.

The problem is that the mesh they use for medium armor is setup to favor certain styles — trenchcoats and buttcapes; the light & medium are not. To change that would require overhauling the system in some way.

So they didn’t say that “they did it anyway,” they said that they didn’t have the alternative for legendary armor, without delaying it even longer, much longer.

It seems clear to me that they designed themselves into a terrible corner with armor generally: it takes them 9 months for one full set (of all weights), they have stark limits on design for each weight, and (although we have outfits), they have locked us into one weight per class permanently.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Faaris.8013

Faaris.8013

butt capes are like fanny packs … but closer to a golfer who ties a sweater around there waste

Looks like even a caveman has more sense of style than Anet’s armor designers ^^

Herleve – Ruins of Surmia

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Not true, triumphant intentially leaves out the butt cape for an easy access hole. It has leg capes instead. Small ones. Some ascalonian tight pants under and you can admire dat butt.

Posted by: Meanma.5623

Meanma.5623

I like to imagine that my medium armour wearing characters have never moved past their edgy neckbeard phase. Hence the trenchcoats. Now Arenanet just has to release a fedora to match those coats. It would be euphoric.

“Later, M’lady.”

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

The problem is that the mesh they use for medium armor is setup to favor certain styles — trenchcoats and buttcapes; the light & medium are not. To change that would require overhauling the system in some way.

Well, that can’t be right as there are a few medium armours that are not trench-coats in game right now, for example the Glorious and Triumphant Armour sets, Vipers, Krytan (on females), Striders, some of the racial armour and, perhaps most importantly, the medium precursor armour itself isn’t a trench-coat.

There are also some shorter-length, medium armour coats. There are a number of butt-cape variants.

Obviously it can be done as it has been done, they chose not to do it here. Perhaps they just didn’t get how bored some people are with trench-coats and the reaction surprised them and no doubt it would be impractical to redo medium legendary armour now (and would cause riots from those who do like it).

My hope is that PoF contains at least some medium armour sets that don’t have a trench-coat but I’m not all that hopeful as it takes them so long to craft a set so those sets were probably already designed when this feedback was received.

Note: that some of these armours do have minor butt-capes on either male or female or some kind of weird half-skirt apparently because Tyrian leatherworkers and tailors routinely start making one half of a set of armour, forget halfway and make the other half an entirely different set of armour, I blame all the unbound magic floating around, winners don’t do unbound magic, kids!

(edited by Pifil.5193)

Posted by: ChikyuuKit.9403

ChikyuuKit.9403

heavy armor isn’t always bulky, light armor isn’t always robes, medium amour is always trench coats

is it a bug or a feature?

Djinn.9245

So they didn’t say that “they did it anyway,” they said that they didn’t have the alternative for legendary armor, without delaying it even longer, much longer.

It seems clear to me that they designed themselves into a terrible corner with armor generally: it takes them 9 months for one full set (of all weights), they have stark limits on design for each weight, and (although we have outfits), they have locked us into one weight per class permanently.

Sorry, but they have made Medium armor without trenchcoats or butt capes so I don’t understand not having an “alternative”. And since they have done it before, even if it is somewhat difficult, there is ZERO excuse for something as important as Legendary armor.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

You know what? I think I know why they seems so obsessed with the coats and butcapes.

I was playing dying in Dark Souls with a bunch of friends last week, when we switched the fighting style from a very armored, though and slow guy, to the fast, almost naked hobo one. One of my friends said he would like the model to be a female, even if it is a disgusting undead.

“If I’m going to see my ass kicked by a monster every two minutes, at least it could be a cute one to look at.”

Then it ocurred to me: Maybe people DO prefer to look at female rears too much. Maybe giving the option to see such anatomic references closely DO impact the player selection too much. Maybe Anet DO want to maintain some balance between male and female player characters, so not everyone is a female. Maybe they DO think it is relevant to obscure butts from our view to avoid “only female rears syndrome” or something like that.

I know it sounds stupid. But the world tend to be that way so much…

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Djinn.9245

Sorry, but they have made Medium armor without trenchcoats or butt capes so I don’t understand not having an “alternative”. And since they have done it before, even if it is somewhat difficult, there is ZERO excuse for something as important as Legendary armor.

I was thinking more about this and what Anet probably meant is that they got it stuck in their head that Medium Legendary armor has to transform from one armor “look” to another armor “look” and a skirt is the only option they had based on their framework. Well then they shouldn’t have gone with that type of transformation then. Light Legendary armor doesn’t completely transform from one look to another. There was no reason Medium HAD to grow a skirt!

Posted by: kurfu.5623

kurfu.5623

Wrong.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/thumb/0/02/Strider%27s_armor_human_female_back.jpg/217px-Strider%27s_armor_human_female_back.jpg

Posted by: Imaginos.3756

Imaginos.3756

Answer: I don’t wanna!

-Every freakin’ medium armor chest is a trenchcoat.

-Can we have ideas for more medium armor types that isn’t just coat-tails and bulky coating?

-I get that female humans and norn (and sylvari i think) have a couple choices with skimpier outfits….but I DON’T WANNA LOOK LIKE A GUILD HOOKER!

-There’s like one chestpiece that isn’t a trenchcoat (and it’s variants) and i kind of like it…wish there was more to it though.

-The biggest disappointment about the legendary armor was that it was okay looking armor….THAT TURNED INTO A FREAKING TRENCHCOAT! WHY??!!

All armors are like that. 98+% of all armors are buttcapes of some sort. For medium it’s trenchcoats and for light it’s giant skirt things from the back and heavy its kilt type skirts dropping into huge skirt range. Someone at anet must have been traumatized by some asscheeks sometime in their career.

I’m sick and tired of them too. I don’t buy gemstore outfits or armors due to this.