Why can't I play this game?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ChoPd.3125

ChoPd.3125

Godkitten it. I am in awe of this game and I really want to play it and enjoy what’s in it right, however this is not the case. This has to be one of the most boring MMO’s I have EVER played. The format just doesnt hold up. Everything is just temporary content, combat is pretty stale and the ’’same’’ because of its simplistic skill system. The idea is nice but they could have made the weapon skills customizable so not everyone runs around with a GS doing the same old boring spells. Many of the weapon combinations are boring and more than often just not viable. The heart quests for example was also a good idea but executed in a very ‘’me-ish’’ way. I’d honestly take a quest system from GW 1 as it gives you much more of that sense of progression rather than feeding cows or protecting farms and caravans. It all gets tedious very very quick and it is my main problem. Alot of things can easily be solved as I want to. This game is something ‘revolutionary’ that I want to take part of but not when its boring. Ideas are awesome and much of the execution of those ideas but many still break the experience for me. I expected more and I guess that was my mistake.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Sometimes it just doesn’t click. Good luck with your next game.

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

some quaggan guards were overwhelmed by a krait incursion during this rant :\

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Chess is boring for some people. Baseball is boring for some people. WoW is boring for some people. Guild Wars 2 is boring for some people.

That doesn’t make it boring. It certainly doesn’t mean the format doesn’t hold up. It might, however, mean that you and it aren’t compatible.

And that’s okay.

ChoPd.3125

Chess is boring for some people. Baseball is boring for some people. WoW is boring for some people. Guild Wars 2 is boring for some people.

That doesn’t make it boring. It certainly doesn’t mean the format doesn’t hold up. It might, however, mean that you and it aren’t compatible.

And that’s okay.

I agree with you but it doesnt change the fact that those games and sports have alot of depth which Gw2 surprisingly lacks

Vayne.8563

And that’s okay.

I agree with you but it doesnt change the fact that those games and sports have alot of depth which Gw2 surprisingly lacks

I don’t know about that. I see depth in Guild Wars 2. You don’t. I don’t get depth from skill use. I get depth from exploring the hidden areas of the world and finding stuff I’ve never seen before. Piecing together the clues of what’s happening in the story. It’s a different type of depth. That doesn’t mean it’s not depth.

Saying there’s no depth means that people who have played this game for a couple of thousand hours or more are somehow less than you are. Because the game has no depth. I assure you some people have found depth in this game.

But you know, one man’s puddle is another man’s ocean.

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

some quaggan guards were overwhelmed by a krait incursion during this rant :\

I hate passing by quaggan settlements, because I feel a strong compulsion to help them when they’re in need.

ChoPd.3125

And that’s okay.

I don’t know about that. I see depth in Guild Wars 2. You don’t. I don’t get depth from skill use. I get depth from exploring the hidden areas of the world and finding stuff I’ve never seen before. Piecing together the clues of what’s happening in the story. It’s a different type of depth. That doesn’t mean it’s not depth.

Saying there’s no depth means that people who have played this game for a couple of thousand hours or more are somehow less than you are. Because the game has no depth. I assure you some people have found depth in this game.

Exactly. I thought it was going to lean more to the traditional MMORPG format but it is more kind of an adventure game that doesnt necessarily reward you all that much. Sure its fun and all to explore and such but those things also get boring even in games like lets say Skyrim. What’s expected from me in GW2 is just a tad more taste to the meat of the bone (which there is certainly plenty of) if you understand my meaning

Vayne.8563

And that’s okay.

Exactly. I thought it was going to lean more to the traditional MMORPG format but it is more kind of an adventure game that doesnt necessarily reward you all that much. Sure its fun and all to explore and such but those things also get boring even in games like lets say Skyrim. What’s expected from me in GW2 is just a tad more taste to the meat of the bone (which there is certainly plenty of) if you understand my meaning

I understand your meaning. You apparently don’t understand mine. This game has MORE meat on the bone than say something like WoW for a player with my play style. What you expected was stale old, boring MMO stuff that everyone’s done to death and many people don’t care about anymore.

This game was advertised as something that was breaking traditional MMO tropes, it’s why many came here. WoW bored me to tears. If you enjoy it more power to you.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Baseball is boring for some people.

Some ? Are there even any people outside the US for whom Baseball is NOT boring ?

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Baseball is boring for some people.

Some ? Are there even any people outside the US for whom Baseball is NOT boring ?

A lot of people in the Caribbean and Japan.

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

I liked the first incarnation of FFXIV. Fundamentally. It needed a lot of fixing, and that fixing came in ARR, but they also ended up changing a lot of the core that I liked (much more sand boxed, not that every game has to be sand box, I just liked that that one was), and put in all that job business, and then changed the armor system so you couldn’t wear whatever you wanted. I liked that I could just put things in my hand, and level it up, and then put together whatever combinations I wanted of things to be whatever I wanted. And wear whatever I wanted.

And we won’t talk about the reduced graphics to make it work on the PoS3. It looked great before, especially the avatar quality.

And thus, that game was no longer for me. It was not that I couldn’t play it, there was just enough that was changed that it was no longer interesting to me in principle. Sad, because I really miss my main toon and a lot about it, but oh well.

That has not happened to me with this game. I still enjoy it, so I play it. I would be sad if that were no longer the case. If it happens, I will go.

Posted by: Darthaemos.6370

Darthaemos.6370

And that’s okay.

Just based on the issues you complained about, it really doesn’t sound like you got very far into the game. Yes, the learning curve for this game is very shallow and allows every potato and his grandmother to pick up the game and start zerging in Cursed Shore, but that’s just the surface. There’s a lot more going on once you start optimizing builds for specific purposes and get into honing your skill with a group of like-minded friends or guildies.

I say, at least get to 80 on a couple of classes and really get to know their dynamics and roles in various contexts before you complain about depth. However, if you meant “complexity”, then yeah, this game does lack the complexity that was present in some of the more traditional MMOs like Everquest 2 – however, this was also one of ANET’s selling points, and it wasn’t exactly a secret.

Birgitte / Graendhal / Aveandha
Death and Taxes [DnT] | http://www.dtguilds.com/

Posted by: Zelulose.8695

Zelulose.8695

Lol I already quit this game for swordsman online. Was a good run though and the pvp was ok not the best but definitely not bad.

Lucky Leaf, Ángël, Clergyman, Side Kick -Lets make Gw2 a better game

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Lol I already quit this game for swordsman online. Was a good run though and the pvp was ok not the best but definitely not bad.

Lol .. tried that and was already bored to death after not even an hour.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: fallconn.6480

fallconn.6480

I’m going to agree with the OP on the feeling that the game feels boring. I love the game concepts and mechanics but it seems that they implemented a few things and just stopped. Then, for them to say there won’t be expansions just makes me feel like I have nothing new to discover.

There really needs to be some additional items to work towards rather than gear and achievements. Guild halls, personal housing, solo and duo type dungeons, more story type quests, more heart quests, expanded skill trees…. something else. It just seems like once you’ve done the main story and leveled up there’s not much to do.

I really “want” to enjoy the game but it just seems too limited right now.

Posted by: party buddy.4956

party buddy.4956

I’ve said it before, this game is a Ferrari, with no engine – it is really pretty though.

this forums’ functionality is horrible…