Why can't we enjoy game to get gold?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Firelysm.4967

Firelysm.4967

People tend to say this game is casual ( i hope there will be days, where casual content will be over) and funny part is, why are we forced to play specific things in this game to get gold, if every thing is casual? Play your game as you want one would say? But that’s not true? why?

For example me:

• Main priority Jumping puzzles, I LOVE THEM.
  • WvW
  • minor doing of sPvP with friends
    This is my daily rotation. I want to craft legendary, but i enjoy only Jumping puzzles, WvW and sPvP. Why can’t player enjoy that and get same amount of gold as one in dungeon? Well one would say but dungeon is harder? No not really, i’ve done plenty of speed runs, and being locked down with 5 people, is your choice of playing game to get your gold. To me jumping puzzles are same hard as dungeons, some are easy, some are little harder, but i find it more enjoyable.

BUT, i wonder, why can’t a player, if this game is casual, get same amount of gold for doing what ever they want? SW farm, Dungeon farm, Fractals, Jumping puzzles, Boss killing all over the tyria and so on so on etc etc.

I’ll put it this way, GOOD FREAKING JOB ANET, at creating Sanctum Sprint!!!!!
I LOVE IT!
But after 3 runs i was done! Why? Because reward was just not what i would expect. If i could i would totally make this for 6 hours per day if it would be equally reward-able then other gold sources!

My question is WHY:
can’t-we-enjoy-some-game-mode-and-get-rewarded-for-it-decently?
I enjoy a lot of this things in this game, but if you are not rewarded for your joy as well then no matter how good your mini game or sub-thing-in-the-game is, won’t work and wont please a lot of people.

But one would say: Why can’t you just enjoy it?
Me: But why can’t i enjoy it and get rewarded for it, why should i play dungeons and suffer doing something i don’t like just because it’s profitable?
So, question is, WHY?

Wish I could get back to GW1.. PvP-GvG. It feels like we are outcasted, not desired or rewarded..

Posted by: Many.8419

Many.8419

I don’t get the idea why any jumping puzzle should be as rewarding as, for example, dungeon path.

This game is casual so much you don’t even have to play it. You log in and you get reward on your screen.

Posted by: nathanjameson.3542

nathanjameson.3542

good question. why DON’T you just enjoy it? what does gold have to do with anything?

Karma Express – Norn Guardian commander

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

I don’t get the idea why any jumping puzzle should be as rewarding as, for example, dungeon path.

This game is casual so much you don’t even have to play it. You log in and you get reward on your screen.

Easy JP = White/Fine/Master rewards.
Medium JP = Fine/Master/Rare rewards
Hard JP = Rare and a certain chance to get Exotic Rewards. 0.0001% or (insert whatever gambling RNG amount that should be there to drop Exotic).

Posted by: Conski Deshan.2057

Conski Deshan.2057

All three can be cheated/fudge that’s why.

Jumping Puzzle? sit an alt at the end, or use someone elses Mesmer portal to bypass the whole thing.

WvW? Win trading, if there were nice rewards this would occur, there’s also no way to control the difficulty, one day it could be a cake walk, the next the 9th level of hell. So you’d have to balance rewards on it being the cake walk end.

PvP? same problems , outside of a monitored tournament you have to assume every PvP match is difficulty 0 because there is no consistency to the overall difficulty so it can’t have excessive rewards.

It’s the same problem you encounter with a lot of areas, another is exploration: can’t be rewarding because location guides exist.

For content to be rewarding it has to impose the same conditions on everyone attempting it or close enough to it.

[RoF] and [BL] guild leader
11x level 80’s 80+ Titles 2600+ skins , still a long way to go.

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

Things should be rewarded according the time and effort it takes to complete them. That is why it makes sense for dungeons to give better rewards than mini-games.

Firelysm.4967

good question. why DON’T you just enjoy it? what does gold have to do with anything?

Because gold is currency to unlock things in game? Do we play same game my friend? Because i play game on different way then you i guess, you obviously don’t need gold to buy anything and unlock anything in the game, is that what you say?

Dungeons are fun for some people, so why should they be rewarded, if JP is fun to me, by not parking character there, and actually make them all the way?

Wish I could get back to GW1.. PvP-GvG. It feels like we are outcasted, not desired or rewarded..

Firelysm.4967

Things should be rewarded according the time and effort it takes to complete them. That is why it makes sense for dungeons to give better rewards than mini-games.

Spirit rush takes 5 min to accomplish, and maximum reward is 5 silver. So basically 1 silver per minute.
Some dungeons can be rushed in less then 10 min, and reward is 1gold +, but one would say u need 5 people for that right? Yes true, but then you have to sum reward as well, you don’t just get 1 gold for all payers, but 5 gold + loot that can every player randomly get.

So comparing this two, brings no more individual skill to that, only difference is joy and enjoyment of the player. Difference per run is 5 silver to 1 gold. Be honest and let me know if this is fair deal

Posted by: Hypairion.9210

Hypairion.9210

OP is so right… I enjoy beeing afk in LA, so why can i not be rewarded with gold like dungeon runners, who enjoy their Dungeons ?

Posted by: Breaking Bad.6241

Breaking Bad.6241

Pretty much everything in the game earns money. Some activities (like dungeons) are faster in earning gold than others ( like jumping puzzles). It’s perfectly fine.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Jumping Puzzle? sit an alt at the end, or use someone elses Mesmer portal to bypass the whole thing.

I used to believe this too. But they could make JPs work like Guild Rushes, interact with an item and finish the puzzle for more rewards without using portals. This has been suggested countless times to make JPs more rewarding but nothing ever happened. And then we have puzzles like the SW one, you can’t park a character there and you can’t use portals, yet the rewards are a couple of blues/greens.

Then what about the SW puzzle which takes more time than ANY dungeon path, even Arah P4 is faster, yet gives next to no rewards. And you can’t park, and you can’t use portals.

Firelysm.4967

Not rly, lets say they fix them fairly simple by putting 1 npcs at start, where u retrieve a key that you have to use to unlock the final chest. Simple solution to prevent mesmer teleports is that you lose key if you use portal. Simple as that. Fair rewards, no parkin, no portals. Solution on plate, you just have to grab it.

WvW? Win trading, if there were nice rewards this would occur, there’s also no way to control the difficulty, one day it could be a cake walk, the next the 9th level of hell. So you’d have to balance rewards on it being the cake walk end.

No, you could simply be rewarded for what you do a little bit more, rank items are bad, why not give us some gold instead of white items, same goes for capping objective. Why does fully exotic/ascended armor person need white lvl 78 items that are worth less then 25 copper?

Another option is give us better badge rewards, change badges to something that we can sell or have use of it. What is the reason behind Bandit WvW armor being not salvageable where is Bandit armor harder to get then dungeon tokens to get dungeon armor exotic one? Why they are profitable and our badges are not? Makes no sense. "those are there to equip players? U still need badges + 1 gold to get armor, for dungeon piece you just need tokens and same amount of them as Bandit badges. Sanity ?

Firelysm.4967

Then what about the SW puzzle which takes more time than ANY dungeon path, even Arah P4 is faster, yet gives next to no rewards. And you can’t park, and you can’t use portals.

This.

Many.8419

You don’t need gear to play jumping puzzles ergo why should there be any income from doing them?

Firelysm.4967

PvP? same problems , outside of a monitored tournament you have to assume every PvP match is difficulty 0 because there is no consistency to the overall difficulty so it can’t have excessive rewards.

It’s the same problem you encounter with a lot of areas, another is exploration: can’t be rewarding because location guides exist.

For content to be rewarding it has to impose the same conditions on everyone attempting it or close enough to it.

And yet again, you still don’t get my point of this topic.
Question is, I’ll repeat it and try to represent it differently:

• If this is casual game, why can’t everything that you enjoy doing being at least averagely rewarding compared to other things. Why can’t people enjoy game and get rewarded for what they do with +/-10% reward difference. With other words i would interpretate your comment as: “If you don’t do X, you can’t earn gold because it’s not hard enough. And i do X if i want to get gold, and I cannot do my favourite Y that i enjoy to earn it.”

Posted by: Conski Deshan.2057

Conski Deshan.2057

• If this is casual game, why can’t everything that you enjoy doing being at least averagely rewarding compared to other things. Why can’t people enjoy game and get rewarded for what they do with +/-10% reward difference. With other words i would interpretate your comment as: “If you don’t do X, you can’t earn gold because it’s not hard enough. And i do X if i want to get gold, and I cannot do my favourite Y that i enjoy to earn it.”

Ok slightly different question to what I thought you were asking.

Even if it is a casual friendly game it’s still a game first about fun second, and the reward structure for games has always been greater difficulty greater reward.
Plus human nature, if people saw someone getting the same rewards for what they consider messing around in the open world for what they got fighting tooth and nail in a Dungeon there would be rage and outcry.

EDIT:
Also “yet again”? I only made one post explaining the current reasons those pieces of content are not rewarded based on a game play perspective.

[RoF] and [BL] guild leader
11x level 80’s 80+ Titles 2600+ skins , still a long way to go.

maddoctor.2738

You don’t need gear to play jumping puzzles ergo why should there be any income from doing them?

Technically you don’t need gear to play dungeons either. Just using random drops / level up rewards should be enough.

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

I got a precursor in a jp chest once, though the rewards are generally less because they’re much easier than any dungeon + you can park your characters there.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: zoejo.2317

zoejo.2317

Either do it for the enjoyment intrinsic to the activity, in which fun is the reward, or for the gold rewards – in which case fun is a welcomed extra, but don’t pretend that’s why you play.

maddoctor.2738

I got a precursor in a jp chest once, though the rewards are generally less because they’re much easier than any dungeon + you can park your characters there.

Some JPs take much longer than any dungeon and are hardly “easy”. If parking was the “problem” then JPs that do not allow parking would have good rewards.

Many.8419

Technically you don’t need gear to play dungeons either. Just using random drops / level up rewards should be enough.

The point is you don’t need to upgrade your in-game gear to get better in JPs while improving gear for dungeons makes runs faster/easier so it is reasonable to have rewards for content created for improved gear.

So player enjoying JPs should be able to earn real money to buy better keyboard/mouse/monitor to be better in JPs. That would be an improvement for him.

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

I like eating apples, so why can’t oranges taste same as apples!?! :/

Firelysm.4967

Technically there are jps that require you to get to them in open world, so technically you do need, and also, there are JPs that involve mobs. So your argument for this discussion is invalid, so then i assume you can dodge roll through the dungeon too and fight mobs with fists.

Posted by: Izaya.2906

Izaya.2906

You should direct your question to the game’s resident economist, John Smith.

Generating gold ingame from thin air is more of an economic concern than your “fun”.

Firelysm.4967

You can get precursor out of any chest so this is not really valid point. And dungeons are not harder then JPs. You have easy dungeons and kittenes, same goes for JPs. And there are longer JPs then longest dungeon in the game that currently exists. And also JPs need simple solution to prevent parking and mesmer portals simple as that, scroll above u’ll find my solution.

Many.8419

Technically there are jps that require you to get to them in open world, so technically you do need, and also, there are JPs that involve mobs. So your argument for this discussion is invalid, so then i assume you can dodge roll through the dungeon too and fight mobs with fists.

This argument is 100% valid. As a part or open world, you can get every piece of gear in the open world to proceed your journey towards jumping puzzle. What’s more JPs can also drop items for your level. You can equip yourself for open world JPs in open world with drop or karma or…. GOLD which you make by playing open world. For JPs in WvW you can equipo yourself in WvW.

There is absolutely nothing preventing your JPs enjoyment but yourself.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

You can get precursor out of any chest so this is not really valid point. And dungeons are not harder then JPs. You have easy dungeons and kittenes, same goes for JPs. And there are longer JPs then longest dungeon in the game that currently exists. And also JPs need simple solution to prevent parking and mesmer portals simple as that, scroll above u’ll find my solution.

The thing is you still have to organize a dungeon run with 4 other people . When you have a jump puzzle that require you to complete it with a full group of 5 people and at the same time reach the finish to open the chest taking about 10-20 mins of hardship then you can have same rewards as a dungeon run imo.