Why can't we trade players face-to-face?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: GodOfWar.3624

GodOfWar.3624

Q:

Why do I have to go through the trade center? This is literally the only MMORPG I recall that has this anti-social system as obligatory.

Why not implement a trading system? It would take no time at all and we wouldn’t get feed by the trading post market. I could sell high priced goods without a huge penalty or risking it with the mail system.

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

You can trade with other players. What you cannot do is advertise a trade in chat. Nor can you complain to CS when a scam happens.

I would rather not deal with waiting around trying to sell things in chat, nor do I wish to have to make sure I am not getting scammed. I make more gold off the TP than I ever did in any other online game trading player to player, and that’s even after paying the fees to the TP.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

You can trade with others, it is just not supported by the game. If you or they scam action will be taken but no gold or goods will be recovered. You also can’t use LFG which is good and can’t spam chat which is good. Overall can’t see a downside with the system in place now.

Posted by: BunjiKugashira.9754

BunjiKugashira.9754

Because people have been scamming left and right in GW1. To prevent any further grief ANet decided to remove personal trading and provide a trading post.

Shana Flamewielder
Sylvari Elementalist of [SFF]
Abaddons Maul

GodOfWar.3624

You can trade with other players.

No you can’t. Not without risks or 15% fees.
Also I’m not saying get rid of the TP. I’m saying allow us to trade goods face-to-face too.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

But you can. You just face those risks for the sake of not paying that 15%.

GodOfWar.3624

Why can’t I have something risk and fee-free? Why am I not allowed to have that as the player? What’s wrong with giving me the possibility?

Posted by: WereDragon.6083

WereDragon.6083

Why can’t I have something risk and fee-free? Why am I not allowed to have that as the player? What’s wrong with giving me the possibility?

Because trade systems across nearly all MMO’s suffer the risk of scams. THe trading post does not.

What do we say to the god of death? Not Today….
Eleshod|80 Thief|Tarnished Coast
Malsavias|80 Necromancer| Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Because it’d direct people away from the TP, create more trade spam in chat/lfg and it wouldn’t prevent scamming still because people can be pretty dumb.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

(edited by Doggie.3184)

GodOfWar.3624

Because trade systems across nearly all MMO’s suffer the risk of scams. THe trading post does not.

How the hell do you get scammed in a trade where you have to confirm?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Well the correct answer is the TP is the game’s primary currency sink and that doesn’t do any good if players can safely trade around it.

Plus it prevents chat channels from filling with sell spam. Even if the game provided a specific trade chat channel, people will still spam on map.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Curtis Johnson

Hey guys,

The no face-to-face trade is a real decision and it’s primarily a question of trust (as many of you have noted). But it’s also a decision to protect players from scamming and protect the economy from black-markets. Let’s run through some quick examples.

1) Give something to my friend. – As several of you noted, target your friend, right click the item and select ‘mail-to…’. Done, this works in contact list, guild list, or in world anywhere without having to ‘meet’ them or ‘catch’ them.

2) Get a fair price for an item (anti-scam). – Because ALL trading goes through the trading post we can guarantee that highest bidder meets lowest seller and we can give every player the benefit of current market information.

3) Barter item-for-item. This is the grey area and also the most risky kind of trade because even with UI many items look alike in icon and many social engineering scams take place in this kind of system. It’s a risky trade environment which is why when you support it you have to have these multi-stage UI’s where everyone double-checks everything, and then eventually get’s lazy and stops double-checking and gets scammed anyways.

In the end we decided with super easy access to mail for trusted trades and trading post for untrusted trades that such a system wasn’t worth the risk, complication, and fragmenting the player market off of the trading post..

In testing we’ve found that mail is easier 90% of the time we’d want trade and the other 10% trading post is far safer and avoids drama and thing like random trade windows being thrown at you and lots of other unsavory hawking in game.

Hope that all makes sense.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Why do I have to go through the trade center? This is literally the only MMORPG I recall that has this anti-social system as obligatory.

Why not implement a trading system? It would take no time at all and we wouldn’t get feed by the trading post market. I could sell high priced goods without a huge penalty or risking it with the mail system.

First, of course you can trade via email.

Second, it’s better for the game if everyone uses the TP.

• No one can scam anyone (and regardless of the in-game ‘protections’, people will be scammed).
  • No one can pay other than market price, because everyone shares the same market.
  • The more people who use the TP, the more quickly the market adjusts to actual supply and demand.
  • Everyone has access to the same pricing information (even more so with the various tools).
  • Support issues are limited to “is the TP working?” — with a P2P trading system, there are endless requests to review trades.
  • Little to no trading spam in /map.
  • And last, but not least, the “huge penalty” you complain about is one of the best gold sinks of any MMO out there (if not the best). It’s what keeps all but the highest luxury goods at reasonable prices, despite the huge amounts of gold people earn.

I too miss the social aspects of bartering — every guild I’ve been and nearly all my close in-game friends were made as a direct or indirect result of trades. I consider losing that one good (or even great) feature of P2P trading a reasonable trade-off for a system with greater benefits for the entire community.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)

Posted by: Suicidal Hamster.4816

Suicidal Hamster.4816

no, just no.

1- wts/wtb would come back and be a huge annoyance
2- scamming, griefing. no explanation needed.
3- what you think would be easy to implement would mean a ton of reports sent to customer service about scammers. the 5 min implement would result in 100x more work extended over the life of the game.

no, just no.

Posted by: BunjiKugashira.9754

BunjiKugashira.9754

One of the more obvious scams was to show a high value item and wait for the other party to enter their offer. Then the high value item was replaced with a low value item with a similar icon. Sometimes the other party didn’t notice and accepted the trade.

Another trick was to misinform new players. When a new player asked how much an item was worth there was a good chance someone would whisper him something along the lines: “It’s only worth 5p, but I’ll give you 6.” when in reality that item was worth way more.

There are more, but I can only name those that people tried against me. I’ve never been interested in scamming other people myself.

Shana Flamewielder
Sylvari Elementalist of [SFF]
Abaddons Maul

Posted by: Greyrebel.7492

Greyrebel.7492

Social Awkwardness coz of this XD
no but seriously if they do it spamming will come back and chats wil be full of wtb/wts and other problems wich come with this

We are one , and one is all

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

It’s also because MMOs need gold sinks to counter the gold that’s constantly being created when players kill enemies and complete events, and the TP fee is one of the most effective gold sinks, especially because it scales to the value of the items (and therefore approximately to the amount of gold) you have.

But as mentioned scamming is also a major concern. GW1 had an excellent face to face trading system: you open a trade window, put up your gold and/or items, can see the other persons gold and items exactly as they’ll appear in your inventory and the trade only goes through when both people have confirmed they’re happy with it. It even warns you if the other person changes their offer.

Here’s a short list of the most commonly encountered scams which occured in spite of (or sometimes because of) those precautions. Even now new ones appear from time to time which aren’t always documented:
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Scam

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

No ty we really do not want buy/sell spam in chat. The first few weeks of GW2 the TP was not working as intended and thus we had to resort to player to player trades. Let me tell you, the amount of trade spam was endless and no fun at all.

I would rather watch people talk about politics or old reruns of those very bad tv programmes than see this garbage.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

It’s also because MMOs need gold sinks to counter the gold that’s constantly being created when players kill enemies and complete events, and the TP fee is one of the most effective gold sinks, especially because it scales to the value of the items (and therefore approximately to the amount of gold) you have.

But as mentioned scamming is also a major concern. GW1 had an excellent face to face trading system: you open a trade window, put up your gold and/or items, can see the other persons gold and items exactly as they’ll appear in your inventory and the trade only goes through when both people have confirmed they’re happy with it. It even warns you if the other person changes their offer.

Here’s a short list of the most commonly encountered scams which occured in spite of (or sometimes because of) those precautions. Even now new ones appear from time to time which aren’t always documented:
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Scam

Best answer. The TP is the one of the best way to fight inflation and it’s the safest way to trade item.

I would add another reason. It’s the easiest way to do so. You have access to everybody at the same time at one place. You don’t need to wait for someone to sell an item next to you or to set a time for you and them to meet and exchange. You can buy what you need as you craft at any time, and you can sell at any time.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: jeezlaweez.6810

jeezlaweez.6810

I like my mapchat in Lion’s Arch as cleaner as it can gets.

Jesus, just to think how Prontera was in Ragnarok Online makes my spine chills.

And also all the answers above.

Samuel Hart – lvl 80 Necro and 20 more toons… well. Yeah.

Posted by: echo.2053

echo.2053

LMAO selling frozen ecto and telling the player to go to forge to thaw them which increased their value – good times. Players these days are too sensitive, they haven’t quite figured out that the world doesn’t care about their feelings.

Theres no face to face to reduce gold selling and protect their precious gem store. Mails leave trails.

Bender the offender – Proud violator of 17 safe spaces –

Posted by: Zicarous.2134

Zicarous.2134

gw1 had it, my god the scams, the map chat spams, you think ita easy to sell stuff if can only sell it by map chat? nope gw guru helped but the spamming. Not fun trade post is great the fees suck but no more scams (pretty easy to if someone was fast enough could swap what they had on the trade thing for someelse leave person with nothing) I never got scammed but took forever to sell stuff. now trade post and move on collect money when it sells win win.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I swear this is definitely a glob of ectoplasm! Go ahead and accept the trade.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

The reason you trade ONLY through the TP is because it is the only way to 100% prevent scams. P2P trading doesnt stop scamming, and “mailtrades” certainly have no hope of it either. The “tax” isnt a penalty either, nor is Anet “out to get your money” as some people like to make it seem. That tax is to help control inflation. Think about it. If there wasnt something in place to control inflation (besides consumables which can be made with net gain anyways), an item that costs 10g today, would have cost 100 or 1000g+ if there was no inflation mitigation.

That being said, anet’s said they arent ever going to add, or entertain suggestions of, another trading method. Sorry, but use the system currently in place.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

If you have played in GW1, you’d know. There are 2 basic methods. One, you make the buyer believe they are buying something else than you’re actually selling (yes, even in a game with confirmation it is possible). Or, you make buyer think that what you’re selling is worth more than it is (or that what you’re buying is worth far less than it really is).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Danikat.8537

If you have played in GW1, you’d know. There are 2 basic methods. One, you make the buyer believe they are buying something else than you’re actually selling (yes, even in a game with confirmation it is possible). Or, you make buyer think that what you’re selling is worth more than it is (or that what you’re buying is worth far less than it really is).

The second one can work the other way around too – find someone who is asking for a price check on an item, convince them it’s worth far less than it is and then “generously” offer to pay a bit more than you told them.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The second one can work the other way around too – find someone who is asking for a price check on an item, convince them it’s worth far less than it is and then “generously” offer to pay a bit more than you told them.

The GW1 documented several common scams and as fast as ANet addressed the issues (changing icons, making certain items non-tradeable, etc.), people would find new variations of the scam.

The thing is: scammers will always find a way to beat any system of checks and balances on P2P trading. Only a global market prevents this by removing the need to barter in the first place.

(I love bartering in MMOs and I think it’s unfair to those who get scammed. Thankfully, those who prefer to take their chances have EVE.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Feirlista Xv.1425

Feirlista Xv.1425

I do trade among freinds with the ingame Mail but I prefer the TP over direct trade. I don’t have to type in chat what I need I go to the TP and get it or sell what I have I don’t need, the fees a trivial and don’t bother me at all. Direct ingame trade will never happen in this game.

Opinions are like ______ everyone has one I could
put the correct term in but not everyone has kittens

Posted by: Manu.6078

Manu.6078

Not paying taxes is more antisocial, i think….

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Having played Diablo 2 for many years, I have been made aware of the many, many elaborate ways people come up with to scam people regardless of how many loopholes one manages to plug. Greed is a very destructive thing.

It’s more trouble than its worth.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

If they wanted to do a safe way of player to player trading they would add in a COD system for the mail. They don’t though because the BLTC is a money sink. Full stop. There’s nothing actually left do discuss after that because it will never change.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: wQnxy.7529

wQnxy.7529

Its not the same.
You can list an item at TP for 1k gold, youll pay ~100g for listing it and if you decide to decrease price to 900g at some point, youll need to pay another ~100g for listing.
Fee should be taken after succesfulyl sold item, not jsut to list it.

Posted by: Thuggernaut.1250

Thuggernaut.1250

(1) A lot of people in GW1 got scammed; and,

(2) Forcing us to use the trading post for most transactions helps ANet manage the economy and control the money supply.

Posted by: Thuggernaut.1250

Thuggernaut.1250

Not paying taxes is more antisocial, i think….

In a real life government + economic system, maybe.

But in this video game, the only purpose of the trading post tax is to destroy excess gold and control the money supply. The money taken by the “tax” doesn’t go anywhere; it just gets destroyed.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Its not the same.
You can list an item at TP for 1k gold, youll pay ~100g for listing it and if you decide to decrease price to 900g at some point, youll need to pay another ~100g for listing.
Fee should be taken after succesfulyl sold item, not jsut to list it.

The problem with no cost until sold is that people could use the TP for unlimited storage.

Let’s say someone has 5,000 ingots that they don’t want to sell now and don’t want to keep in their inventory. They can store it for free on the trading post if it didn’t cost to post. Just list it for a price no one will want to buy it for then cancel it when they want it back. Repeat as needed for anything else they want to hold on to but not sell.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I could sell high priced goods without a huge penalty or risking it with the mail system.

I love it when posters answer their own questions. That “huge penalty” is one of two gold sinks in the game, the other being the very minor way-point cost. Also, that social system you’re asking for enables scams, which cost the company Customer Service time when the victims complain.

If you want to avoid TP fees and trade directly, use mail. However, beware that there is no anti-scam feature and ANet will not return your goods or gold if you do get scammed.

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

Would be very easy to implement a tax on a player to player trading system.
Could tax both sides of the trade if needed.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Arenanet wants the tradepost (and its associated fees) to be the default option for all trades because the entire design of GW2 is extremely generous with faucets (personal resource nodes, personal loot drops) and extremely light on sinks (Waypointing, salvaging, and a small number of vendor items)

The economy is designed around the assumption that virtually all player to player trading is done through the TP, and thus taxed.

There’s a reason map chat in main cities isn’t filled with trade shouts, and that is because Anet opted to do away with peer to peer direct trading. In the instance you want to give items away or trade with trusted individuals, they made usre it was easy to do so via mail that you can collect anywhere.

They also made sure it was easy to sell from anywhere so you didn’t end up in a tough situation where you needed to offload stuff for bag space, but couldn’t due to lack of direct trades.

The result is a less spammy and scammy game with less inflation. Sure its weird, but it met their design goals, and after a while you don’t even miss it.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

(edited by PopeUrban.2578)

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Would be very easy to implement a tax on a player to player trading system.
Could tax both sides of the trade if needed.

Yeah. Charge the player trading the item for gold a tax of 15%. If only Anet would implement a system like that…

Posted by: teufeldritch.7691

teufeldritch.7691

As someone that played GW1 I am very grateful to Anet for the Trading Post in GW2. Very grateful.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Well, from previous MMOs I’ve seen everything from exploiting lag (people pull the item from the trade box right before hitting Offer, or they rapidly move the item in and out of the box, and that causes the other side to see the item is in the trade window when they hit Accept), to exploiting stupidity (“Just give me the money now and I’ll grab the item from my bank to send to you”), to exploiting design flaws (entering negative money values, bait and switching with a cheaper item that happens to have the exact same inventory icon, jumping between players when they’re trying to trade in the hopes of accidentally having someone open the trade window with you instead, using the trade window to dupe items, etc.).

Even if the developer manages to patch every exploit, someone might just make a third party app to manipulate trade windows to allow the above. You can’t say that’s not possible, because after three years ANet still isn’t able to prevent people from hooking teleport hacks into the client, it’s pretty much guaranteed the wouldn’t be able to prevent the same for any player-to-player trade window from being similarly hacked.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

The “fiddle trick” scam was also used often in GW1.

In the same map you’d have:

“Player 1: WTB cracked sash, 20 ecto”

“Player 2: WTS cracked sash 50 gold”

Greedy player 3 will buy the cracked sash that’s only worth 1 gold and a bite of a stale sandwich, for 50 gold. Player 1 will suddenly not want to buy it anymore. Player 1 and 2 will share their profit and go to another district to find another mark.

GW2 would be more vulnerable to confidence tricks like this because it has a far larger pool of obscure items that many people wouldn’t know how to value properly.

Danikat.8537

And in spite of all this the biggest benefit of the TP by far, for me anyway, is the convenience.

In GW1 I once spent a week looking for a particular bow I wanted. It was a rare (gold) item but a relatively common drop, available in a few zones. But because it wasn’t a hugely popular skin (and like GW2 good stats were widely available) very few people bothered to sell it. So I had to stand in towns where I thought people were likely to go to empty their bags after playing in those zones and spam chat hoping to catch someone who had one before they sold or salvaged it. And even when I did find one the seller naturally wanted far more than it was really worth, and I was so sick of trying to find one I agreed to pay it.

In GW2 it would have taken me 30 seconds to search the TP and buy it.

Same with selling. In GW1 I currently have about 2/3 of a bank tab full of minis, green weapons and upgrades I’m holding onto because I know they’re worth a fair bit of gold, but I cannot be bothered standing in town spamming chat to try and sell them.

It’s the same in Elder Scrolls Online which has a weird middle-ground system that’s sort of like the TP but only available to members of the same guild. It’s not too bad for selling things, if you don’t mind not always getting the best price, but trying to buy from other players is often far more hassle than it’s worth because you have to go all around different guilds traders trying to find one that has the right item.

For ease of use, which is my main priority, I absolutely prefer the Trading Post.

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

And in spite of all this the biggest benefit of the TP by far, for me anyway, is the convenience.

In GW1 I once spent a week looking for a particular bow I wanted. It was a rare (gold) item but a relatively common drop, available in a few zones. But because it wasn’t a hugely popular skin (and like GW2 good stats were widely available) very few people bothered to sell it. So I had to stand in towns where I thought people were likely to go to empty their bags after playing in those zones and spam chat hoping to catch someone who had one before they sold or salvaged it. And even when I did find one the seller naturally wanted far more than it was really worth, and I was so sick of trying to find one I agreed to pay it.

In GW2 it would have taken me 30 seconds to search the TP and buy it.

Yeah, there were a lot of low-to-mid-tier items in GW1 that ended up being rarer than the genuinely rare skins because no one bothered farming for them.

Posted by: Thrist.9046

Thrist.9046

who cares about scams? It all makes game more immersive and alive.
It seems you are all too soft, well, no, it doesn’t seems, you ARE.
In last 5 years I’ve seen this world turn around 180 and people just became so weak, afraid, without self worth, without self spirit.
They don’t want fight for anything, they don’t want make mistakes, they wanna play it all safe when something they care about is on cost. kitten .

This trading post isn’t about preventing scaming.
It’s about controling, giving people less choice, putting everyone on same level, and 2 most importantly reasons: preventing gold sellers and protecting their gems.

Trading post is all about gems in this game, in other it’s some other currency like nc coins or w/e.

That’s all trading post is. Controlling so gems can stay around the same value, once they’ve done it, they would just make gold harder to farm. (which they did, nerfed it again)

after it they would make the only thing people care spending money on (most of) only be available through gems (and gold-gems conversion), like, yep u guessed it, skins.

Think w/e you want about Anet, but it’s clear they only care about getting money the easiest way possible (in term so people don’t complain), and they made brilliant way with their fellow economist. I must applaud to them, tho it doesn’t mean I respect them in any way. But good job anet.

I hate being scammed. Yes, I think we all should be on relatively even footing. You can call that soft, if you like. I can live with that.

If weaker people are protected by rules that cause me some slight inconvenience, I’m all for it.

Posted by: Mikali.9651

Mikali.9651

In last 5 years I’ve seen this world turn around 180 and people just became so weak, afraid, without self worth, without self spirit.
They don’t want fight for anything, they don’t want make mistakes, they wanna play it all safe when something they care about is on cost. kitten .

It’s about controling, giving people less choice, putting everyone on same level, and 2 most importantly reasons: preventing gold sellers and protecting their gems.

Trading post is all about gems in this game, in other it’s some other currency like nc coins or w/e.

That’s all trading post is. Controlling so gems can stay around the same value, once they’ve done it, they would just make gold harder to farm. (which they did, nerfed it again)

after it they would make the only thing people care spending money on (most of) only be available through gems (and gold-gems conversion), like, yep u guessed it, skins.

Think w/e you want about Anet, but it’s clear they only care about getting money the easiest way possible (in term so people don’t complain), and they made brilliant way with their fellow economist. I must applaud to them, tho it doesn’t mean I respect them in any way. But good job anet.

I hate being scammed. Yes, I think we all should be on relatively even footing. You can call that soft, if you like. I can live with that.

If weaker people are protected by rules that cause me some slight inconvenience, I’m all for it.

That is why this world is like it is. Cuz weak people wanted protection. Look where it got us all. Now you can’t live without following rules, you are a dead man.
Everything you do is just to survive, yes, see that food on your table?
You are surviving, without following rules you can’t have it and you can’t live.
Everything you, or your parents do every day is to get money so you can survive!
That is just one of the harsh truths about being weak person who want protection from others.
Also, it makes you Mr. Noone. Everyone being equal? Nice joke, it’s just an illusion and it never works out.

gw2 economy will fall down, it has one major flow in it

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Oh absolutely, compared to games like Eve Online, Shadowblade, etc. this game is closer to Hello Kitty than those MMOs. Only problem, you fail to in anyway show how this is a bad thing?

The game has a core player base it tries to reach. You obviously are not part of that playerbase.

Well they are at 3.5 years and going strong. Who knows, maybe your predictions will come true, or maybe your just another https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgg8OuA8D0Q

Also I am amused at your real life comparisons. You do know this is a videogame which people want to enjoy right? Maybe take gaming a tad less serious or look for a different game where cutthroat player interaction is desired and wanted.

Posted by: Shayne Hawke.9160

Shayne Hawke.9160

The lack of player trading by reason of scam prevention is an excellent example of running a market on socialism.

In a free market, you get some people who are intelligent enough to not get scammed and know how to best sell their items to get the price they want. These people get the full value for what they sell. You also get other people who are impatient, who don’t do research on the market, who don’t know how to sell or buy things in the best ways, and who are stupid enough to fall for dumb tricks. These people lose value constantly. Instead of supporting a system where skilled players get rewarded and dumb players get punished, ANet spreads the pain of being scammed onto everyone.

This is great for the idiot who reads at a first-grade level and doesn’t have the mental awareness to avoid being fooled, because 15% loss all the time may be much better than sometimes 100%. The players that know what they’re doing though take a substantial hit all the time that no market ability can counteract. In fact, the only way around such a thing is to use a system that is even more scam prone and no way enforced, which puts a much greater risk on the market player than even the most basic system of two-way exchange. Even if this risk could somehow be accounted for, the recently introduced cap on gold transfers between players outright stops any transactions of considerably high levels from taking place more than a few times.

In other words, like most areas of GW2, players of all levels are robbed of their agency. For bad players, this is a minor loss, and perhaps even a benefit in some cases, while skilled players get completely dumped on. The biggest beneficiary of the whole thing is ANet, because a system which drains the economy so well by doing that every single time a transaction is made makes the most stereotypical scam of purchasing in-game gold with real world currency a sound business opportunity for the studio.

YT channel - GW2 Activity vids and more
Activities are dead.
Sanctum Sprint record times: any checkpoints – 39.333, all checkpoints – 1:55.633

Posted by: Thrist.9046

Thrist.9046

That is why this world is like it is. Cuz weak people wanted protection. Look where it got us all. Now you can’t live without following rules, you are a dead man.
Everything you do is just to survive, yes, see that food on your table?
You are surviving, without following rules you can’t have it and you can’t live.
Everything you, or your parents do every day is to get money so you can survive!
That is just one of the harsh truths about being weak person who want protection from others.
Also, it makes you Mr. Noone. Everyone being equal? Nice joke, it’s just an illusion and it never works out.

Yes the world was a much better place when the strong ruled the weak. Feudalism was all the rage.

At any rate, Guild Wars 2 isn’t real life, it’s a game, and people who don’t know better should not be subject to trade scams.

Posted by: Maximus.8376

Maximus.8376

The lack of player trading by reason of scam prevention is an excellent example of running a market on socialism.

In a free market, you get some people who are intelligent enough to not get scammed and know how to best sell their items to get the price they want. These people get the full value for what they sell. You also get other people who are impatient, who don’t do research on the market, who don’t know how to sell or buy things in the best ways, and who are stupid enough to fall for dumb tricks. These people lose value constantly. Instead of supporting a system where skilled players get rewarded and dumb players get punished, ANet spreads the pain of being scammed onto everyone.

This is great for the idiot who reads at a first-grade level and doesn’t have the mental awareness to avoid being fooled, because 15% loss all the time may be much better than sometimes 100%. The players that know what they’re doing though take a substantial hit all the time that no market ability can counteract. In fact, the only way around such a thing is to use a system that is even more scam prone and no way enforced, which puts a much greater risk on the market player than even the most basic system of two-way exchange. Even if this risk could somehow be accounted for, the recently introduced cap on gold transfers between players outright stops any transactions of considerably high levels from taking place more than a few times.

In other words, like most areas of GW2, players of all levels are robbed of their agency. For bad players, this is a minor loss, and perhaps even a benefit in some cases, while skilled players get completely dumped on. The biggest beneficiary of the whole thing is ANet, because a system which drains the economy so well by doing that every single time a transaction is made makes the most stereotypical scam of purchasing in-game gold with real world currency a sound business opportunity for the studio.

OMG! What does skill have to do with face-to-face trading…. So, you’re saying that someone that gets fooled = bad player and someone that completes the transaction the way it’s supposed to go = skilled player? What, I dont even >_>

Touche on bringing up the Anet card. slow clap