Why can't you farm materials?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: aophts.9862

aophts.9862

In every other MMO out there, you can farm to acquire materials to create something, it takes some time, but you can, you have a DECENT drop rate. But in GW2 you can’t, even with high magic find you only get junk and the drop rate of good materials (the T6) are ABYSMAL (to be gentle).

“B-but you have moldy bags!”
Do you mean those bags that have a 0.0000000000000000001% chance of T6 mats and a lot of Thick Leather Section?

Yes, it is a complain, but what i want to know is, why we can’t farm the materials? Why it boils down to farm gold like a madman in dungeons and fractals?

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

You should maybe vistit other areas of the game than Orr. I say Orr since i think
those bags only drop there. In other areas mobs drop directly mats.

In Orr in the beginning the undead only dropped T6 dust and i think the bags
were a fix for that because people constantly complained that they only got
worthless dust.

Then came the time when dust was suddenly 1 gold worth
And finally we got the possibility to salvage ectos.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

Well, you’re in luck.

A-net have mentioned that they’re adding a reward system (similar to Dry Top and Silverwastes) where you get a bonus for completing events. From what I understood, different maps will present different materials. This means you get guaranteed T6 when completing events, making these materials somewhat farmable.

We’ve yet to find out how much of a bonus you get from completing these events (you might only get 1 T6 for each event, for instance) and what kind of impact this will have on T6 economy.

EDIT: I’m not sure if this change will be made before HoT in a suspected Feature Pack, or if this will be added with HoT.

EDIT 2: There are other ways of getting T6- I got a lot from mystic forging ectos for mystic clovers. Ectos are farmable by doing the World Boss Train. You can also convert laurels to materials by buying material bags.

(edited by Crimson Clouds.4853)

Posted by: chefdiablo.6791

chefdiablo.6791

Farming for T6 mats is a massive investment of time. There have been some very good farming spots that players used but were eventually thinned out and ruined by DR. Now that the Megaserver is in place, managing to find a spot that is not farmed already by some desperate soul is close to impossible.

This is why nearly everyone claims that farming gold to purchase those mats is the best method. Gold is very easy to acquire in comparison.

If you really want to take a farming approach to obtain Gold without doing dungeons, Silver Wastes is the best option. A more laid back and ultimately slower method is to farm nodes. Timberline Falls is a good map for this. You can get a variety of metals, lumber, and herbs that sell for a decent amount on the TP.

I often run Timberline Falls with four different characters farming nodes because I can get the things I need for sale as well as crafting in a relaxed way. This allows me to watch movies and T.V. shows at the same time without being too focused on the map events that Silver Wastes requires.

Farmers are the backbone of any MMO economy. The efforts to prevent us from effectively farming T6 mats has pushed gold farming to the forefront. This has also made it so that numerous bots, under the map node farming, and teleporting cheats are being used to get that precious currency.

There are so many ways to make gold in this game, but the most effective methods will turn you into a mindless grind Zombie or dungeon crawler, unless you are very clever with using the TP.

The sooner you accept this, the better it will be for your mental health.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

probably because you get “everything” when you farm.

For example champ bag. It can give you everything and anything.

so you can just trade in things you don’t want for things you want.

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

I think they may have initially reduced t6 mat farming areas to combat bots or whatever, I don’t know why they did it, just that they did. /shrug.

The nerfing of a handful of former t6 mat farming areas, combined with mega servers, has left things pretty desolate as far as t6 mat farming goes. (there are still some okay areas, but…megaservers)

Also, to me it seems most of the mobs in Dry Top seem to have reduced drop rates compared to some of their counterparts in the older 78+ maps.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

In every other MMO out there, you can farm to acquire materials to create something, it takes some time, but you can, you have a DECENT drop rate. But in GW2 you can’t, even with high magic find you only get junk and the drop rate of good materials (the T6) are ABYSMAL (to be gentle).

Do you mean those bags that have a 0.0000000000000000001% chance of T6 mats and a lot of Thick Leather Section?

Yes, it is a complain, but what i want to know is, why we can’t farm the materials? Why it boils down to farm gold like a madman in dungeons and fractals?

I think the main reason is because how the economy and tp works.

Anet tries to make it very hard to farm all the mats for your own demand because if everybody could easily farm his own mats, those that dont need it, wouldnt be able to sell their drops. That would result in alot of useless drops.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I don’t really know what your talking about. This game follows the same model as all the others; you kill stuff, they drop things and many of those things are mats or stuff you can convert into mats.

Posted by: Dark Saviour.9410

Dark Saviour.9410

It’s kind of frustrating, especially since most of what I see in terms of getting gold is, “Farm, salvage, sell mats, get gold.” Yet I need the gold to buy the mats I’m not getting enough of in the first place.

>_>

Gone for good after Halloween 2Ø12.
A shame fun things could not simply be fun.

Posted by: aophts.9862

aophts.9862

I don’t really know what your talking about. This game follows the same model as all the others; you kill stuff, they drop things and many of those things are mats or stuff you can convert into mats.

You are not playing the same game as everyone else then.

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

I think he is.. you on the other hand seem to be wanting something similar to .. easywin.

Every MMO I have ever played has the same method of gathering… resource nodes, reward loot, champion bags or trash mob kill loot and all are based on a similar RNG concept.
Farm places are nothing more than spots on a map where certain mobs etc are located that have a chance to drop something you need.. yes a chance. The loot tables get altered a little based on the level of the map/mob etc…. GW2 is no different.

T6 mats are rare mats for a reason high level /rare/specific requirements and as such have a reduced chance to drop them.. nothing new there either. I f they dropped to easy players would soon have nothing to play for .. yes MMO’s have carrots that are dangled on strings but to get the carrot you gotta jump through the hoops and guess what,, as a business its ANET’s job to try and keep you jumping for the carrot for as long as possible in order to retain you in game or tempt you into thinking its time to go buy some gems to convert to gold and buy what your after

That said the only mat I personally think has an issue regarding drop rate is the Giants Eye, but I believe that is due to be fixed by ANET in the future.

Simple fact is if you cant wait then go buy it from the TP

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

I think he is.. you on the other hand seem to be wanting something similar to .. easywin.

Every MMO I have ever played has the same method of gathering… resource nodes, reward loot, champion bags or trash mob kill loot and all are based on a similar RNG concept.
Farm places are nothing more than spots on a map where certain mobs etc are located that have a chance to drop something you need.. yes a chance. The loot tables get altered a little based on the level of the map/mob etc…. GW2 is no different.

Fundamentally, you’re correct. The reality however, is that most materials cannot be farmed reliably. At least, not at a rate that most people would consider reasonable.

It’s intentional design to be sure, but it sucks for the average player.

Lambent.6375

T6 mats are rare mats for a reason high level /rare/specific requirements and as such have a reduced chance to drop them.. nothing new there either. I f they dropped to easy players would soon have nothing to play for .. yes MMO’s have carrots that are dangled on strings but to get the carrot you gotta jump through the hoops and guess what,, as a business its ANET’s job to try and keep you jumping for the carrot for as long as possible in order to retain you in game or tempt you into thinking its time to go buy some gems to convert to gold and buy what your after

That said the only mat I personally think has an issue regarding drop rate is the Giants Eye, but I believe that is due to be fixed by ANET in the future.

I think what he is saying is in some other MMO’s you can reasonably farm materials directly to make/obtain whatever you’re going for. It’s not easy, but it’s not an impossibly daunting task either.

But in Gw2, for example, if one wanted to make a Gift of Light, directly farming 100 charged loadstones from sparks would be absurd. It would be far easier to just farm gold, and buy 1-3 lodestones or cores a day.

Not saying this should be changed, Gw2 is Gw2, and those other mmos, are those other mmos.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Unlike most other games, GW2’s economy is super efficient. So it’s almost always a better use of your time to do something you like or to farm gold and then buy what you need. The model used in other MMOs usually means being forced to farm for each specific item, with few alternatives.

Unlike in other games, crafting isn’t an easy money maker, because everyone shares the same supply (and demand). This keeps prices low enough that often, you don’t need to farm materials directly. Often, it’s cheaper to buy finished goods or even intermediate pieces, e.g. boot soles and linings, instead of boots.

tl;dr it’s up to you. If you want to gather everything else, it is possible. For the rest of us, there’s the trading post.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Garth Thurgen.1380

Garth Thurgen.1380

I think what he is saying is in some other MMO’s you can reasonably farm materials directly to make/obtain whatever you’re going for. It’s not easy, but it’s not an impossibly daunting task either.

But in Gw2, for example, if one wanted to make a Gift of Light, directly farming 100 charged loadstones from sparks would be absurd. It would be far easier to just farm gold, and buy 1-3 lodestones or cores a day.

Not saying this should be changed, Gw2 is Gw2, and those other mmos, are those other mmos.

You are correct about understanding aophts, but are missing the point of Bloodstealer’s comments. Every other MMO, in some form or another, does exactly what GW is doing. Whether your hours are whittled away by farming Charged Lodestones or Honey Lemons, you’re going to run into the exact same thing. The exact item and form of it aren’t the same necessarily, but you’re still having the exact same system.

Lambent.6375

You are correct about understanding aophts, but are missing the point of Bloodstealer’s comments. Every other MMO, in some form or another, does exactly what GW is doing. Whether your hours are whittled away by farming Charged Lodestones or Honey Lemons, you’re going to run into the exact same thing. The exact item and form of it aren’t the same necessarily, but you’re still having the exact same system.

I got it, I just took it that the OP was one of those individuals that like farming/gatherings the materials to make an item on their own for the feel of it, and Bloodstealer’s easywin comment just made me think he was saying OP just wanted things handed to him.

Garth Thurgen.1380

I got it, I just took it that the OP was one of those individuals that like farming/gatherings the materials to make an item on their own for the feel of it, and Bloodstealer’s easywin comment just made me think he was saying OP just wanted things handed to him.

That’s basically what he’s saying. aophts is wanting things to be easier for the rarer items. All rarer items, not just the ones that actually have a problem (easy to tell due to his complaint about T6 materials as opposed to, say, Silver Doubloons or Giant Eyes). How they are obtained in all games is the exact same: either by farming the item, crafting the item, or by buying the item (when applicable for obvious reasons). However, the items in question have to be rarer than the vendor-trash loot in order to have them still be valuable (which is why the vendor-trash loot is just that). This leads to Bloodstealer’s point: that all aophts really wants is for things to be easy, so that he can just ignore the fact that there’s a market at all and play by himself. There are no MMOs out there that make it as easy as GW2 for basically anything but the Legendary Weapon level equivalents (which, even then, aren’t actually in most other MMOs due to the fact that they’re the same as a considerably easier to obtain alternative) and the very select few odd-ball things (dungeon specific drops, bugged quest drops, and Giant Eyes leading the list). However, even the rarest stuffs in GW2 tend to not be as rare as a real grind-fest MMO, of which they’d just be barely in parity with.

In this case, using the T6 example given from the opening post, what exactly is there that you couldn’t reasonably farm? Outside of making every single item in the game, which isn’t exactly supposed to be a reasonable goal for everything but the most hardcore, there just isn’t any one specific item that requires enough T6 materials that it would take a completely unheard of amount of time in MMO terms (though, most of them would be pretty unheard of in normal RPG terms). Outside of all of the ones that require the very clearly problematic parts, ones that ANet has even stated they plan on doing something about in the expansion, you’re not looking at more than a week of heavy grinding. Which is absolutely pathetic in comparison to the months and months it takes for a similarly “hardcore item” from any other MMO in a similar vein.

Posted by: Prototypemind.4026

Prototypemind.4026

All Anet has done by making it where mats can’t be farmed directly is make it so that gold grind is all there is. You farm SW, dungeons, etc, and raise all the gold you can to buy from the TP. I much prefer being able to step into specific content to get the rewards I want/need, especially when it’s content that certain challenges must be met to acquire the item. For example, following a specific path, killing certain bosses in order, things like that.

Everything being on the gold standard in this game is not enjoyable, at least not for me. Then again, there’s the foolishness that is Karka shells…

Beldin.5498

Besides Dungeons there is no “gold-grind” .. 99% of the gold i earn is in the end
from selling crafting mats. And before we got the champions bags i was even
mostly farming T6 mats.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

Unfortunately, and I know a lot of people are sick of it or get sick of it real fast, SilverWastes…which gives you plenty of T6 materials via several methods:
*Champ Bags
*Direct Drops(semi-rare)
*Bag of Stolen Goods from Crest Vendor
Though not super fast method of acquisition, I’d say that I’ve gotten roughly 300 of each T6 item through those 3 methods over the last 4 – 5 months…and while I gathered those T6 materials, I also gathered way more T5 than I needed and used the Mystic Forge to create even more T6 materials…at low cost to me(well, basically none, except for the Philospher’s Stones which only cost Skill Points of which I have over 3000, maybe 4000+ combined…and some gold in the range of 100 – 2000, give or take.

Posted by: Conaywea.5062

Conaywea.5062

lvl 80 mobs drop t6 mats

the chance to get them is a different story

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

That’s basically what he’s saying. aophts is wanting things to be easier for the rarer items. All rarer items, not just the ones that actually have a problem (easy to tell due to his complaint about T6 materials as opposed to, say, Silver Doubloons or Giant Eyes). How they are obtained in all games is the exact same: either by farming the item, crafting the item, or by buying the item (when applicable for obvious reasons). However, the items in question have to be rarer than the vendor-trash loot in order to have them still be valuable (which is why the vendor-trash loot is just that). This leads to Bloodstealer’s point: that all aophts really wants is for things to be easy, so that he can just ignore the fact that there’s a market at all and play by himself. There are no MMOs out there that make it as easy as GW2 for basically anything but the Legendary Weapon level equivalents (which, even then, aren’t actually in most other MMOs due to the fact that they’re the same as a considerably easier to obtain alternative) and the very select few odd-ball things (dungeon specific drops, bugged quest drops, and Giant Eyes leading the list). However, even the rarest stuffs in GW2 tend to not be as rare as a real grind-fest MMO, of which they’d just be barely in parity with.

In this case, using the T6 example given from the opening post, what exactly is there that you couldn’t reasonably farm? Outside of making every single item in the game, which isn’t exactly supposed to be a reasonable goal for everything but the most hardcore, there just isn’t any one specific item that requires enough T6 materials that it would take a completely unheard of amount of time in MMO terms (though, most of them would be pretty unheard of in normal RPG terms). Outside of all of the ones that require the very clearly problematic parts, ones that ANet has even stated they plan on doing something about in the expansion, you’re not looking at more than a week of heavy grinding. Which is absolutely pathetic in comparison to the months and months it takes for a similarly “hardcore item” from any other MMO in a similar vein.

I disagree. Have you ever tried to directly farm t6 mats? (directly, not indirectly) It’s simply not realistic in this game. You farm for loot in general here and those mats happen to be a byproduct of that. If you specifically target a specific item in this game to farm you are in for a rude awakening.

The acquisition methods of this game simply are not the same. They do not have that self fulfilling aspect. As such, much of the sense of accomplishment of making items in this game vanishes. Instead of “I built this house with my bare hands”, it’s “I worked a 9-5 and hired contractors to do the work”.

It doesn’t have the same feel for a lot of players.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

You’re supposed to play the game to have fun not to farm. Play the game normally and you get crap you can sell for what you want and you can have fun doing it rather than endless boring grind that farming is.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

You’re supposed to play the game to have fun not to farm. Play the game normally and you get crap you can sell for what you want and you can have fun doing it rather than endless boring grind that farming is.

That statement could not be further from the truth. Firstly, ‘fun’ is subjective. Some people are here for challenging game play, some want to RP etc etc.

Most players ultimately want their characters to look good. After you’ve explored the map and had a go at the different game modes that’s really all that’s left. Cosmetics cost quite a bit of coin, and you won’t earn nearly enough without spending real money, playing the TP or playing very specific types of content.

Posted by: Deedrick.4372

Deedrick.4372

I want to see a casual player farming just for fun get enough loot to make a legendary in less time than it would take to get yak slapper.

Obtena.7952

^^ Which would prove absolutely nothing … except that the casual player is probably having a more enjoyable experience obtaining his legendary.

Garth Thurgen.1380

I disagree. Have you ever tried to directly farm t6 mats? (directly, not indirectly) It’s simply not realistic in this game. You farm for loot in general here and those mats happen to be a byproduct of that. If you specifically target a specific item in this game to farm you are in for a rude awakening.

The acquisition methods of this game simply are not the same. They do not have that self fulfilling aspect. As such, much of the sense of accomplishment of making items in this game vanishes. Instead of “I built this house with my bare hands”, it’s “I worked a 9-5 and hired contractors to do the work”.

It doesn’t have the same feel for a lot of players.

Yes, yes I have. And so have other people, who have also made videos of doing just that on how to do just that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WnEWM-flrU

And many of the best T6 farms give you a ton of loot in the process of giving you a bunch of T6. The chest farming that quite a few people are doing? The one that gives you ~11g/hr? About a fourth to half of that is from T6 materials. While it’s true that it gives you random ones and it’s true that it gives you a crazy amount of T5 stuffs in the process, the fact of the matter is that T6 materials are just not that hard to come by. At least, not in the quantities that are “normal” in any way. Outside of specialty skins or specialty trinkets, there’s just not a massive demand from the generic stuffs.

I, however, will agree that it’s much easier to grind money than it is to farm T6 through normal means. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t do it. Just that the amount of people who don’t care about T6 is high enough that the market is getting flooded from them enough that it’s still easier. The fact that you can still do it is the point: you can still farm materials just the same as you could in other MMOs, and generally easier than said MMOs by a fair margin. The sheer fact that it’s easier to get them through gold means nothing in regards to that fact.

Essence Snow.3194

I fail to see that point when it’s equivalent is telling that walking across the state is doable vs flying. They are so far separated they are no longer realistically comparable.

Garth Thurgen.1380

I fail to see that point when it’s equivalent is telling that walking across the state is doable vs flying. They are so far separated they are no longer realistically comparable.

And I fail to see how taking 30 minutes to do something versus 50 minutes is comparable to walking vs flying.

Unless you mean by flapping your arms. Then I understand it completely.

Edit: redid numbers for a non-record time. Lol.

(edited by Garth Thurgen.1380)

Essence Snow.3194

You think it’s a 4-1 ratio?

Garth Thurgen.1380

You think it’s a 4-1 ratio?

How fast do you do any specific dungeon runs? I’ll use that time then.

Essence Snow.3194

Its about 10g hr on top of drops.

Garth Thurgen.1380

Its about 10g hr on top of drops.

How fast do you complete specific paths. Or are you saying that you complete 3-4 of any given paths in an hour?

Though, at 10g/hr, the raw Scales from the example given would take you roughly 2.5 hours. Ignoring the fact that you’re getting a ton of other materials/stuff that you can also sell to get yet more Scales.

Essence Snow.3194

How many scales are you getting per hour? For me it was extremely hit or miss. One hour I’d get 12 another, 3. There was no consistency and no grinding it out to even out the statistical rate as dr would kick in.

Garth Thurgen.1380

How many scales are you getting per hour? For me it was extremely hit or miss. One hour I’d get 12 another, 3. There was no consistency and no grinding it out to even out the statistical rate as dr would kick in.

I’m doing it using the video shown above. I average higher than his (17/hr), but videos make it easier.

I still find his 40 Scales in an hour to be pretty lulzy. Really shows just how good random grinding is when you have high Magic Find I guess.

Edit: Oh, and even with your numbers vs. 7 scales I still haven’t made it to my record runs vs. video scales. It would still only take 3.6 hours to farm up the same number of scales vs. money. :V

(edited by Garth Thurgen.1380)

Prototypemind.4026

Specific areas for specific mats are certainly a more consistent reward, and it seems the devs agree considering the map rewards that are coming with HoT. It may not be the same as most other games where each area has mats specific to it, but it gives a more rewarding experience for most.

To those above who say that it’s all about the fun of playing and it’s just a bonus when you finally have what you need to get the gear/rewards you’re wanting, with no need to know what kind of return you’ll get for an activity, you’re of course free to continue farming the old way. =p

Beldin.5498

I disagree. Have you ever tried to directly farm t6 mats? (directly, not indirectly) It’s simply not realistic in this game.

Have you ever tried to farm gold when you don’t like dungeons ? Its also “not realistic”.
You get maybe 20 silver in an hour. And yes, i farmed a lot T6 blood, claws and fangs
directly .. however mostly to sell them for gold, to buy other stuff from that gold.

The whole game simply lives from the trading. The dungeon runner have the gold,
the open world players have the mats.

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

I am not sure if it was mentioned, but the shared marketplace is part of why: because -all- mats farmed and sold in the west go to the same auction house, increasing the drop rate too much would render them worthless. This has already been an issue for some mats, like silk and gossamer, leather, etc.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Obtena.7952

20S per hour? I guess you mean as gold drops from mobs?

Beldin.5498

Yepp .. thats what i meant. People always say : farm gold .. but outside of dungeons
there is not really much gold to farm.

In the end you farm mats, but if those are not the mats you want, but somebody
else has the mats you wants you exchange them with them via trading post and
only in the middle of that process you get gold from selling your stuff.

Garth Thurgen.1380

Yepp .. thats what i meant. People always say : farm gold .. but outside of dungeons
there is not really much gold to farm.

In the end you farm mats, but if those are not the mats you want, but somebody
else has the mats you wants you exchange them with them via trading post and
only in the middle of that process you get gold from selling your stuff.

Technically you could get quite a bit more doing events (as 20s is far too low if you’re including them in the calculation), but you’re still looking at only 40s. Not exactly something that’s all that spectacular. Especially when, for raw gold anyway, you can just go grab double that amount in about 5 minutes.

And it’s really easy to see when people start farming any given material for money. A while back the amount of Poultry Meat skyrocketed, and the price dropped pretty heavily. Now that people have stopped, it’s back up on its climb. It’ll be interesting seeing if that happens again.

Posted by: Varrg.2704

Varrg.2704

You can’t farm mats because of gem store. ANet wants you to buy stuff with real money, no to get stuff by actually playing the game.

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

I am a fan of both ways… If I want to craft or obtain something quickly, I have the trading post. If I want to passively make something, like an ascended weapon, I can go out and harvest. It sucks that we can’t reliably farm some things, specifically T6, but I think we have pretty good alternative methods of getting them. It’s only a gold farming fest if that’s how you look at it.

Beldin.5498

You can’t farm mats because of gem store. ANet wants you to buy stuff with real money, no to get stuff by actually playing the game.

And then on the other hand people cry that the Gem price is so high.

You know that that the gem-price is lower if more people would really buy
gold for real money ? So in the end its in your own interest that people buy
gold for real money, at least if you want to buy gems for gold.

Obtena.7952

Wow, that’s nonsense. There is no link between Gemstore and ability to farm mats. Availability of mats, farmed or purchased from TP doesn’t change if people do or don’t by gems.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

if anything not being able to farm is what drove gem prices to hell

supply vs demand the more people need somehting and less available it is the more it costs

hence why people have been able to exchange so much gold for gems inflating even gem price

wich makes buying gold not worth it because the gem exchange went to hell

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Well, you’re in luck.

A-net have mentioned that they’re adding a reward system (similar to Dry Top and Silverwastes) where you get a bonus for completing events. From what I understood, different maps will present different materials. This means you get guaranteed T6 when completing events, making these materials somewhat farmable.

We’ve yet to find out how much of a bonus you get from completing these events (you might only get 1 T6 for each event, for instance) and what kind of impact this will have on T6 economy.

EDIT: I’m not sure if this change will be made before HoT in a suspected Feature Pack, or if this will be added with HoT.

EDIT 2: There are other ways of getting T6- I got a lot from mystic forging ectos for mystic clovers. Ectos are farmable by doing the World Boss Train. You can also convert laurels to materials by buying material bags.

Except even the bags are RNG so that didn’t solve anything when they added that. RNG is a thing of the past, people keep making the case for EQ and the dragon point system for the community but the community has changed. It no longer exists.

Token systems especially for crafting items are the future and it’s been a staple in many games for years. People keep saying that it will negatively affect the economy but it won’t actually because those that do try to sell these items will find that there are so many listings of them it won’t make a profit.

So really tokens for the crafting items like T6, and the removal of DR will completely change the rewards system of this game and bring it back up with modern QoL.

I hope they do make these changes because for some of us this is the reason we left the game, my husband left because he said there’s no point in logging in when all you get for your trouble are greys.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Prototypemind.4026

I know that this discussion comes up across every gaming forum that I visit, and in none of them are players happy when they have to pray that they get the items they need. When playing content to get items to turn into gold to get other items becomes the means to get by, the fun of running that content eventually goes out the window. I don’t know too many who played D&D, Pathfinder, etc, and had a a GM who made you go to the swamp to get some random item that may drop, then to the forest to get some other random mat, none of which have anything to do with the item you truly want, so you can sell them and get the true prize you seek. You go on adventures, you get gold, you get interesting rewards from chests, and if there’s something special you want, you quest to find it.

Anet began toying with this back in 2013 as far as plans to implement it in terms of a rewards track for Legendaries. They’re also working on it so that map rewards will be relevant to players; go here, do these events, get these rewards that you need. They’ve had this for some time for PvP players; PvP all you want, you’re not locked out of these great armor sets, rewards, etc. The game’s developers get it, so why people are trying to defend farming and farming and farming unreliably when a player has a specific goal in mind as good design I don’t know. Anet is trying to go away from that. Most other games are not implementing that archaic design anymore. Is there any context in which that outmoded system is actually more enjoyable?

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Why? I think because the way to do it now it with a currency and currency is the way Anet does everything. Now you may decide for yourself if that may be related to the fact that you can buy the main currency (gold) with cash.

It’s at least one of the examples I blame to the cash-shop focus. The official reason is “now you can do any content and earn it that way. it’s play the way you want”. Of course that is a strange reason as the “farm approach” still allows for this because you would still be able to sell / buy them.

Of course you can simply grind gold and buy the mats. But if you find that way, way, way more boring than a normal farm (like me) you are out of luck in GW2. Same holds true for many cosmetics and toys.

HoT should have a solution for this problem where you can do specific events in maps that then reward specific mats. That would then also rotate so if you want charged lodestones (for example) today you need to do the event in map x and tomorrow in map y.

But we have to see how that works out. If after a day of farming you would have 4 of the 250 mats you need it’s still not really ‘farmable’, and if at the same time some brainless gold grind is still faster it’s even worse. Also if the rotating means some mats cannot be farmed for a full week it’s still a problem. So we can only wait and hope this gets implemented well in HoT.

Posted by: Spirited Was Eceni.3869

Spirited Was Eceni.3869

Buy a second account the next time there is a sale. Last time there was a sale you could buy the deluxe version for £12.50. Log on for 5mins each day to open the daily chest, every 4 weeks that will give you 55 laurels which you trade for T6 crafting bags. 3 T6 mats per laurel = 165 T6 mats every 4 weeks for doing next to nothing. Mail them and anything else you have to your main account.

In a couple of months your second account will have paid for itself in money you don’t need to spend in game.

“Judge a person’s character by how they behave when given anonymity.”

Welcome to the Internet, exposing characters since the early 80’s.