Why did conjured weaps + kits get hotfixed?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tulki.1458

Tulki.1458

ArenaNet previously promised that when ascended weapons get released, weapon kits and elementalist conjured weapons would have their weapon power stats buffed to ascended power (at level 80) so that players who use these can still benefit from the new tier. When the game was patched, this did fall through. Kits and conjured weapons got the appropriate ~5% bonus to weapon power.

In the last hotfix, they were all dropped back down to exotic weapon power, meaning anyone who relies on kits can never benefit from ascended weapon power.

What is the reasoning behind this?

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

i think they messed up some code or something.

lets make enough noise until they fix this back.

Tulki.1458

No, they actually explicitly mentioned it in the last patch notes for the hotfix, stating it as a “bug” even though the kits were supposed to get ascended damage so they can keep up.

Posted by: Kashrlyyk.5364

Kashrlyyk.5364

I like to see a number. How much damage was removed from all those skills?

Tulki.1458

For visibility I’m copying my post from the engineer board for more proof:

Actually before ascended weapons came out, ArenaNet stated that after their release, engineer kit damage would get increased to ascended levels. And it did when the patch released, but for some reason they just dropped it back down to exotic. What the hell? This means NO ENGINEER WHO USES KITS is allowed to gain ascended weapon damage.

Not saying they didn’t say this, but perhaps you could point to the source and give a bit more supporting information like actual numbers to verify the changes and troubleshoot what is going on. What I mean is are you certain that the kit strength scaling was actually correct before this most recent fix and it has not simply been brought back down to where it should be. I don’t want to come across as skeptical but without more actual information it is hard to tell what is going on.

Fair enough, I suppose.

The only proof we really have is that at the time that they said “weapon kits will remain at exotic strength until ascended weapons come out”, we can assume the kits had exotic stats.

Now, before the patch dropped I took a screenshot of my character wearing a grenade kit in a level 80 zone with no buffs because I had a feeling they were going to forget to buff kits to compete with ascended weapons. The shot is attached. In it you can see the grenade kit’s weapon power by subtracting my power from the “total attack” stat. It is 969.

After the patch dropped, I checked under exactly the same circumstances again, and the grenade kit’s weapon power was increased by 5%, which is exactly the same difference between exotic weapon power and ascended weapon power. After the hotfix, the weapon power is back down to where it was in that screenshot (i.e. exotic).

All of this back-and-forth with engineers… first with broken turrets that were fixed and then rebroken several times (and are still broken), and now apparently engineers who use kits in their build aren’t allowed to compete with ascended weapon power? Really? It’s absurd.

Attachments:

(edited by Tulki.1458)

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

How much damage was removed from all those skills?

The amount that was accidentally added to them, I should think.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Tulki.1458

Except it was already promised that these kits would get the extra ascended weapon power. Not an accident.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Clearly they disagree. There was an amount that was supposed to be added, and more than that actually was added… and then quickly removed.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Confirmed Bachelor.3508

Confirmed Bachelor.3508

Except it was already promised that these kits would get the extra ascended weapon power. Not an accident.

I’d like to see a direct quote or a link to thread that this is in because this is the first time I’ve heard about it.

I have both an engineer and an elementalist so I feel like I should be annoyed at Anet about this. I’d just like to justify this annoyance.

Tulki.1458

I know for a fact it was confirmed elsewhere more explicitly (it was confirmed by a red for sure, and I believe it was in the massive ascended weapons discussion thread), but on the January 28th patch when kit damage was revamped, this note was added:

Bundles from player skills (engineer kits, elementalist conjured weapons, warrior banners) now have base damage that is consistent with the highest rarity weapons available at the level of the player.

When the patch dropped, level 80 engineers got kits with ascended weapon power so they could keep up. Then it was hotfixed to cap it down to exotic. The obvious problem is… exotic is NOT the highest available rarity, so bundle builds get kitten and can no longer use ascended power.

(edited by Tulki.1458)

Posted by: Alesthes.4287

Alesthes.4287

Due to the past statement they made, an explanation of their reasoning and their plans on the matter would be much appreciated.
Conjured Weapons already have a lot of drawbacks, this would have been a way at least to give some more bonus to those who use them. At least make them offer Ascended damage once you are using an Ascended weapon in your main hand…

- Guild Wars 2 Roleplayers Community
Piken Square – EU Unofficial RP server
Tarnished Coast – US Unofficial RP server

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

yes well, ascended nonsense aside- the joys of playing an Engi just never ends.
It is such a fun, interesting class to play.
Why do they seem to do their best to make people not play it?
What do they expect us to do- craft kits to Ascended?

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: meikodesign.6471

meikodesign.6471

As a ranger i tried to find ascended pets but i failed :’)

Lunavi – Ranger 80 ~ Charr Kuttery – Warrior 80
Little Lunavi – Ranger – Rank 4x
[CPC] Insert Coin – Vizunah Square [FR]

Posted by: oloap.9765

oloap.9765

guys,
my opinion is that since noone but legendary owners up to now have ascended stats on the weapon, they removed the buff to avoid stupid people to change the build on that pourpose.
or demandin conjured weapons from eles in dungeons and so forth…
imho they will add them back assoon as the minimum period is gone.
also in wvw that could have been an issue.

Posted by: oloap.9765

oloap.9765

meikodesign.6471
As a ranger i tried to find ascended pets but i failed :’)

Lunavi – Ranger 80 ~ Charr Kuttery – Warrior 80
[CPC] Insert Coin – Vizunah Square [FR]
Rank 3x

u made my day!! lol

Posted by: hydeaut.1758

hydeaut.1758

The weapon-strength on engi-kits was 969 (average of an exotic pistol + an exotic shield), this was brought up to 1017 with the patch (+5 % up from 969).

As the difference in weapon strength from exotic to ascended weapons is also 5% this was somewhat ok (it still didn´t completely fit the quoted text about “highest rarity weapon available” as even exotic rifle has 1205 weapon strength).

With the hotfix it´s obviously back to 969.

I hope that is due to a bug as the weapon damage was also increased for kits in the spvp-lobby.

Otherwise engis are screwed twice as I don´t think kits will get the stats from infusions on ascended weapons.

Posted by: Ixl.6905

Ixl.6905

Another kick in the teeth for us engis..

Posted by: soakman.7539

soakman.7539

Another kick in the teeth for us engis..

Obviously! Since Engi’s are not at ALL viable in the game anywhere, have no versatility, and clearly everyone has access to free ascended stats since they came out yesterday.

All engi’s CLEARLY need to have ascended stats today to keep up and not get steamrolled by all those WVWVW’rs running around with their crazy pink weapons. Or, you know, those crazy PVE minions that have always secretly been ascended to begin with.

… really? If there ever is a point where the majority of players have access to this stuff, this will need to be changed… but how on earth can anyone be complaining about not having max gear the day after the tier hits the game.

These forums are insane.

Posted by: Corpdecker.3819

Corpdecker.3819

I don’t see why kits don’t assume the power of whatever the engi has equipped ? Is there some kind of crazy math going on that prevents this from being The Thing To Do ?

Posted by: Um Abbas.5693

Um Abbas.5693

guys,
my opinion is that since noone but legendary owners up to now have ascended stats on the weapon

But I am an engineer, and I have ascended stats, so I want ascended kit!
Here, I said it.

:P

Midget Gadget * Branch of Wood
Aurora Glade ~ Army of Forgotten Souls miniguild [AoFS]
http://umabbas.net/

Posted by: hydeaut.1758

hydeaut.1758

I don’t see why kits don’t assume the power of whatever the engi has equipped ? Is there some kind of crazy math going on that prevents this from being The Thing To Do ?

I think every engi would prefer that to a preassigned weapon strength on kits.

But unfortunaley we rely on Anet who made it that way, maybe because of technical reasons, maybe because of big differences on weapon strength from pistol to rifle – or maybe because it was the cheapest fix to a stepchild-class.

Posted by: Keelin.5781

Keelin.5781

Oh look. They lied. Again.

I’d be surprised if it wasn’t such a common thing.

It’s not exactly like kits were topping the damage charts – they could’ve used a boost.
We (engineers) have to give up raw weapon damage because of kits and kit damage because of … ???

(edited by Keelin.5781)

Posted by: Buttercup.5871

Buttercup.5871

guys,
my opinion is that since noone but legendary owners up to now have ascended stats on the weapon

But I am an engineer, and I have ascended stats, so I want ascended kit!
Here, I said it.

:P

I dedicated a thread to this basic design flaw. Every pet class is duped by the introduction of the ascended tier. A ranger’s pet is designed to do 30 to 50% of his damage. That’s why his base weapon damage is so horribly low.
So the ranger crafts ascended weapon to increase his horrible base damage. Happy ranger! But what about the other 50% of his damage – the pet – that remains the same? Sad ranger.

Same with the engineer class. It’s a fundamental design flaw that should have been addressed. (But then again, what’s the point, you never get to see your shiny ascended weapon anyway!).

Posted by: Corpdecker.3819

Corpdecker.3819

Maybe they could make it so kits scaled to the base damage of a 2 hander of whatever the highest rarity we had equipped at the time was. So legendary shield equipped would be the same as having an ascended rifle, or something along those lines.

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

I’m going to guess they will scale kits to what you have currently have equipped, at least that is what would make the most sense to me. People with kits wouldn’t have an advantage of ‘cheap ascended’ and they wouldn’t have the downside of no scaled stats.

Posted by: Skribulous.3521

Skribulous.3521

In before thread deletion (you know it’s gonna happen).

What is the reasoning behind this?

But seriously, I am really interested to know the real reasons for this decisions. It’s especially jarring to have a sudden hotfix just to resolve something that isn’t even that close to gamebreaking.

(edited by Skribulous.3521)

Posted by: derekgrant.6504

derekgrant.6504

I am an engineer, and I kinda wish I can get a rollback on my legendary and ascended items being soulbound, so I can move them on my guardian and be done with this forever.

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

There’s a way to move a legendary to another toon. Wish I could tell you what it is. Guildmate did it with his Bifrost…

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

Tulki.1458

So no post as to the reasoning behind the change? They just decided “nope” and did a 180 on their promise?

And for those saying the kits can just inherit equipped weapon damage… that really wouldn’t work. Exotic kits have 969 weapon power and an exotic rifle has about 1200. Engineer kits were never really up to snuff as it was, so nerfing them back down from ascended stats is even more of a kick in the teeth.

(edited by Tulki.1458)

Posted by: Villious.8530

Villious.8530

There’s a way to move a legendary to another toon. Wish I could tell you what it is. Guildmate did it with his Bifrost…

Did he just xmut the skin to a white item and transfer the skin?

Posted by: Hvaran.6327

Hvaran.6327

true, it’s got hotfixed….an Enineer runes doesn’t work as intended aswell btw….no7% dmg + on kits…

Handarand – Handacooon – Handa Panda – Handa Genie

Posted by: justjon.3189

justjon.3189

It’s probably not as cut and dry as you guys are making it sound. They are having to figure out a balance if making ascended items worth getting for an engineer but also not buffing it so much there is no point as well meaning without an ascended you get ascended power cause that wouldn’t be fair as well to others and their rng luck or time crafting. Chances are they tried something and it was too much and in the side of there’s no point in getting an ascended cause using a kit was a free one so then they nerfed it and are probably looking for a resolution.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

This thread is seven months old. I highly doubt they are still looking for any sort of resolution at all.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Porterhouse.6304

Porterhouse.6304

It will come, any day now…