Why did they remove undiscovered skill points

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Eos.6951

Eos.6951

Before, you could see every skill point on the world map, even if you haven’t been to a zone yet. Now, they only appear when you’ve discovered the little section they reside in. Was there a reason for this change?

And does anyone know how long ago they made this change.

As a reminder, I’m not talking about discovered skill points that get “unlocked” at level 13.

Posted by: Fewix.4250

Fewix.4250

Cause Anet doesn’t want anyone to enjoy their game. Should be pretty obvious by now :o

In most games. Casuals are the majority. In Gw2, casuals are the game.

Posted by: Vulpus.7386

Vulpus.7386

Lol, yeah. It really hinders the desire to adventure and see new things to get to said skill point, something I thought Anet really emphasized with development of their zones. I find it disturbing to see the sheer amount of really amazing areas in zones with no incentive to go there outside of overwhelming boredom.

Revolution, the cultural kind
Thanks for the free Arah paths!
-Vulpus Tana

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Before, you could see every skill point on the world map, even if you haven’t been to a zone yet. Now, they only appear when you’ve discovered the little section they reside in. Was there a reason for this change?

And does anyone know how long ago they made this change.

As a reminder, I’m not talking about discovered skill points that get “unlocked” at level 13.

Sorry I didn’t even know that they have changed this. But I want to speculate on why they did this. As I like to explore games to the fullest I can see that they made this change to stop people from going from skillpoint to skillpoint, instead you have to explore the world to find them. As I said I havent noticed the change but in theory for me this change is good. Though it is a little slap in the face to those who actually do not enjoy exploring but want’s to get the skillpoints as this game is a play how you want game. I didn’t mind how it was before iether so for me Anet could change it back but I do like the change in theory as I said.

Lol, yeah. It really hinders the desire to adventure and see new things to get to said skill point, something I thought Anet really emphasized with development of their zones. I find it disturbing to see the sheer amount of really amazing areas in zones with no incentive to go there outside of overwhelming boredom.

Wow… Can’t tell if you are serious or not… So you say becouse you can not se the skillpoints you will explore the less? To me it is different, if there is an undiscovered part of the world I go explore it. I think most people hurt by this is for example EotM farmers who levels up in EotM and don’t have enough skillpoints and needs som quick means to get them and starts to run for every skillpoint in the world with no desire for exploring. As they can’t see the skillpoints now, it will get harder for them to track all skillpoints. But there are always other means like Wiki or other sites where they have mapped every skillpoint.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

Does it matter? It’s the same has how all the other map completion elements work: you have to unfog the map to see them.

This would have the opposite effect, though. If you can see exactly what you need, you’re more likely to go directly there from the closest waypoint by the shortest route. The thing that would most promote exploration would be to have no map-completion elements visible on the map at all ever (not that I am advocating this).

Posted by: Eos.6951

Eos.6951

I already have map completion on 1 character, and I wanted to buy a bloodstone shard so I made another. My intention was to get all the skill points within a couple days, now it’s just become more inconvenient. It’s not like people are unable to look up the completed maps online.

I don’t know, I liked it as a new player, because it was an indicator of where I could go and approximate estimation of how big the zone was.

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

There is a severe bug on this as the Harpy Fields of Ruin skillpoint (top right corner of the map) is permanently invisible until the skillpoint itself is activated. I had no problems finding it because I already completed the world multiple times prior to this change, but new players in my guild were reporting not knowing where the heck to go.