Why do Anet people play with Anet Tags?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Not sure the point of the Anet people playing with the Anet tag for. whats the point of that?

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

So people around them know that they are devs?

Posted by: Myst.5783

Myst.5783

Because they want to feel special?

Actually, afaik, most of them don’t run with the tag very often.

Currently playing: Mesmer/Ele/Theif
JQ

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

The ANet tag in PvP or WvW is a free pass to being killed instantly, so I don’t think playing PvP with the tag on is much fun

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I have to admit that happened in Obsidian Sanctum the day the Spring Tourney went live. XD

“Hey, an ANet tag! … Wait, they’re Blackgate… KILL THEM!”

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Yeah, I helped kill one last night! And I’m sure the tag wasn’t up until sometime during the fight.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

always fun seeing a tag around, whether it is wvwvw or pve. those devs i’ve bumped into did not expect any special treatment either

makes things a lot better if i know devs are actually enjoying the game they help make. means they’re not in their own little world and actually experience the same problems and perks as the rest of us

i’m guessing part (small?) of why they throw the tag up sometimes is just that morale boost for some of us

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

A lot of devs are part of guilds like the rest of us. I know a couple of guilds in BG had ANet employees. They throw up the tag sometimes when they feel like it, or they’re doing something related to work

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

So that you can ask them to look into the resident siege troll/golem destroyer on your server.

P.S. Just kidding — it must suck for them to get requests like that when they just want to play the game.

P.P.S Not really kidding: It’s actually the only way I’ve ever seen/heard of that successfully gets trolls to disappear.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

why do you run around with a guild tag? And why shouldn´t they show some pride in their product?

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Cause they want to remind us that they exist so that people don’t feel like they’re mythical beings ignoring their pleas and prayers.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: OmaiGodman.2098

OmaiGodman.2098

They do it because we have to worship our Gods!

m~(_ _)~m

But from what I heard, it’s basically just a guild for Anet employees that shows the Anet logo instead of a [tag]-tag.

Any plan that involves dead quaggans is, by design, foolproof. I’m an unmitigated genius!

Posted by: Klonex.4562

Klonex.4562

it’s actually quite fun on my end to see them

~ what i usually do when they’re on

me: “pssst Anet dev (i actually call them by their name instead of anet dev), give me super powers so i can fly”
them: “no”
me: " darn"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

me: " pssst, Anet dev… give me a hug"
them: “hugs”
me: “oh yeah”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

me: “pssst, Anet dev. let me get a peak of that dev menu so i can give a champ 10x my actual damage so i can feel like a super hero woman”
me: “darn”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

me: “pssst, Anet dev – will there be sab this year?”
them: “hey look, shadow behemoth is up”
me: “hmm…. and darn”

~Krystal <3 Angela ~
~ I taught cows how to Moo! ~

(edited by Klonex.4562)

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

me: “pssst Anet dev (i actually call them by their name instead of anet dev), give me super powers so i can fly”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

me: “pssst, Anet dev. let me get a peak of that dev menu so i can give a champ 10x my actual damage so i can feel like a super hero woman”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

me: “pssst, Anet dev – will there be sab this year”

I like when they give hugs.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

what servers do they play on? are any devs on the EU side?

makes me sad to never see them/not be able to.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

what servers do they play on? are any devs on the EU side?

makes me sad to never see them/not be able to.

I have seen devs on EU-servers multiple times.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Blackarps.1974

Blackarps.1974

Its just a guild they made for employees on the live servers. When you see an Anet employee running around, they are on their own accounts and can’t activate anything with commands.

Maguuma Guardian

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

If the developers didn’t have a tag, then players would complain that they were sneaking around and spying on players. This is a ‘kitten ed if you do and kitten ed if you don’t’ type of situation.

Posted by: Ivalice.3174

Ivalice.3174

No tag: “Devs don’t even play this game and have no idea about balance or what players want.”

Tag on: This thread.

Posted by: Brother Dulfite.5793

Brother Dulfite.5793

But what if the Anet devs are from Narnia? What then? How would we respond?

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Personally, I’d prefer if they didn’t have the tags on their normal play accounts. If people KNOW they’re devs, they’ll treat them differently. If people have no clue who the devs are, then the devs get to see what people really think about the game. It’s the same problem that people say the forums have, people come here to complain or compliment, but only when they feel they have something that needs attention.

In CoH, each Dev had two accounts. One was their private account, which was just a normal account, and they weren’t allowed to let people know that it was a dev playing on it. The other was the Dev account, and they each generally had a distinctive character they showed up as. Sometimes, they showed up as these characters at some event or RP party. On rare occasions, they’d just show up and look around, maybe talk to people for a bit. They would generally be in character when they did this, though.

It’s funny, now that I think about it. Having Devs that would show up as the important characters and just BE those characters doing the things they would naturally do was good for making the world feel alive. Even if you missed them yourself, hearing people talk about it was a large part of it. It also let us know that the Devs didn’t just play the game, they were enjoying it and enjoying playing with us. With ANet, I don’t get that feeling.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Maybe they display them because they are proud to be a part of the company?
Because they take pride in their game?
Because they want to show you that they do in fact play their own game?
Maybe they do it just to annoy certain people?
Perhaps to see what types of conversations it might spark? You know, get some direct in game feedback in regards to what they are actually playing?
Maybe they do it just to be targets and get a good laugh?

Only they really know.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

They are just representing their guild. Nothing wrong with that.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I’ve seen a few Anet staff around on Desolation. Most often just after new content comes out and they want to see how it’s working, but sometimes just playing.

Since it’s just a guild tag they can turn it on and off whenever they want I assume whenever they have it on they want people to know they’re Anet staff, either because they’re there checking something or just because they like to be seen occasionally.

But I’ve heard a lot of them also play with the tag off (and on characters with different names) so no one knows who they are and they can just be treated normally.

One of them also told me that only certain staff (I assume the actual developers as opposed to community relations people etc.) have access to any extra abilities and everything they do with them is logged and checked. So even if they can change things in the game directly they’re only allowed to do it for a good reason. They can’t just make themselves a legendary.

And a lot of stuff people (jokingly) ask for, like totally new items, they wouldn’t be able to do in the game anyway because they’d have to make new models etc. and load them in. And they’d definitely need permission for that.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Asgaeroth.6427

Asgaeroth.6427

Heh, Hamm ran with us in TC EotM with tag on a few days ago for quite some hours. He drummed up some really funny conversation. I think it’s just because the community gets a kick out of seeing the tag and no other reason. To me all it shows is that the people designing the systems are actually seeing them in action in a live setting from a player’s perspective. I’ve played MMOs that were run by dev teams who didn’t play the game. It’s not a good feeling. cough Ultima Online Circa 2003-2014 cough

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

I think they play all the time, but when they’re being “on” they wear their tags. That way, they can play when they want, and hear feedback (and kittening) when they want.

I can only imagine how many whispers they get while wearing their ANet tag.

Now, if only we could somehow show our guild logo in our nametags >:-)

Level 80 Elementalist

Posted by: bluestocking.6148

bluestocking.6148

The ANet tag in PvP or WvW is a free pass to being killed instantly, so I don’t think playing PvP with the tag on is much fun

I know a guy who does that on purpose. Buffs his guardian all up, stands in the middle with his tag on and lets the other team kill him as a distraction while his team does the rest of the work.

I am destruction itself. I also bake cookies.

Posted by: Greyhawk.5097

Greyhawk.5097

I know a guy who does that on purpose. Buffs his guardian all up, stands in the middle with his tag on and lets the other team kill him as a distraction while his team does the rest of the work.

Man, that sounds like a pretty good tactic there…lol

Posted by: Menaki.6329

Menaki.6329

IoJ had run once with a anet member, Shyyrel (I believe) was the ingame name. Haven’t seen an anet tag for long time since then. It was nice to have an Anet member running with the zerg, and of course to protect them and especially kill the anet tag on the enemy servers .

[KILL] – Jade Quarry

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Are they only on US-server? I played more than 2k hours and never saw any anet tag.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Hermes.7014

Hermes.7014

Quite frankly, I too have never seen a dev on EU servers.

Whether something is either wrong or right, someone will always complain about it.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

I have seen devs multiple times on the EU servers.

It would make sense that there are less of them though, seeing as they live across the pond and most likely can’t play much during EU prime-time.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Myst Dawnbringer.9138

Myst Dawnbringer.9138

I think its their guild tag. If they play through the Anet guild they get that tag.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

No tag: “Devs don’t even play this game and have no idea about balance or what players want.”

Tag on: This thread.

^this

Attachments:

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: bluestocking.6148

bluestocking.6148

I think its their guild tag. If they play through the Anet guild they get that tag.

Yes, there’s an employee-only guild, but they’re also allowed to join other guilds. They could be anywhere! spooky noises

I am destruction itself. I also bake cookies.

Posted by: CC Danicia.1394

CC Danicia.1394

Community Coordinator

Next

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

haha! That is about how it goes when I ever I run with my tag up.

By and large, the community is pretty darn nice to me when I’m flying the colors. I had the best time running with groups in the Tower of Nightmares and other big events. I’ve loved when I’m hanging out crafting, and folks come chat with me. I like just doing random hearts, jumping puzzles, and such.

Only rarely have I received a not as friendly reception. This is especially when I like to talk to players. I listen. I take notes. This is a very passionate community and I absolutely enjoy playing with everyone. After all, I was a part of the community before I started working here. My home server is truly my home server!

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By and large, the community is pretty darn nice to me when I’m flying the colors. I had the best time running with groups in the Tower of Nightmares and other big events. I’ve loved when I’m hanging out crafting, and folks come chat with me. I like just doing random hearts, jumping puzzles, and such.

Only rarely have I received a not as friendly reception. This is especially when I like to talk to players. I listen. I take notes. This is a very passionate community and I absolutely enjoy playing with everyone. After all, I was a part of the community before I started working here. My home server is truly my home server!

Did you get a new Anet account, when you started working for them or was your own account upgraded to fly the colors?

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

a much better and interesting question would be:

• why are we the playerbase stuck with kitten letters when it is clearly possible to have proper logos ?

Posted by: Melanie.1240

Melanie.1240

I guess there are no devs on the EU servers. I’ve never seen any.

Posted by: Angelica Dream.7103

Angelica Dream.7103

I got to run with one in the labyrinth during a halloween event. It was fun.

Bettet yet I spotted Gail in GW1 at Kamadan. I asked her to pose for a pic. She was great about it. My only mistake was I asked in public and we got flooded with people. When I left she was still there taking pic requests.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Once an Anet tag successfully led me and a few other pugs to bypass the enemy zerg and get to the main force in wvw. Clearly, they must have developed quite a high level of skill since they get targeted so much, lol.

#Anet tag roaming meta 2014

In any case, having a tag can be useful if certain situations need to be resolved quickly.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

I got to run with one in the labyrinth during a halloween event. It was fun.

Bettet yet I spotted Gail in GW1 at Kamadan. I asked her to pose for a pic. She was great about it. My only mistake was I asked in public and we got flooded with people. When I left she was still there taking pic requests.

I miss Gaile, never seen her in GW2 yet and haven’t seen her in GW1 for a very long time, wonder if she even still plays at all.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: George.1785

George.1785

I guess there are no devs on the EU servers. I’ve never seen any.

I’ve seen GW2 dev’s on a few occasions in the game world on Desolation a year back, of course that ‘s a while back but I think they’re still around on them at times.
However my homeworld is on Seafarer’s Rest, I don’t know if they wander around on many servers.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

It also depends on what exactly is going on at a given time too. TTS has had anet devs show up at Tequatl raids (I’ve been told a few are in one of the TTS guilds, dunno if it’s true or not still) and hang out with us while murdering a dragon.

Posted by: Calazor.8364

Calazor.8364

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

answer the SAb question :<

Posted by: Umut.5471

Umut.5471

Please give players tags too, depending on their rankings

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

So far I havnt ever seen a dev in the game… Not having all names set to be shown though, But still, It would be so cool to run into one of u at some pont, just to see u and say hi!

Kima & Co

Posted by: Ravion Hawk.4736

Ravion Hawk.4736

I’ve got a couple devs on my friends list and I try not to bug them. I had a chat with one during the Escape from Lion’s Arch LS about how I was dealing massive damage and not getting any exp for the kill.

We even had some laughs about the implied possibility of the ending of LS season one and I pointed out a particular lab out in Magus Falls from GW1 along with one of the LS characters sharing a name with one of the enemies from the owner of that lab which they didn’t think of until I pointed it out. Then we laughed about being stuck on the same spot in that quest in GW1.

I’ve actually wanted to see about getting all my wife and I’s story dungeons done with a dev or two in the group so we don’t get booted and to help my wife with her confidence in dungeons.

Head of the Order of the Iron Ravens [OoIR]
Lady Alexis Hawk – Main – Necromancer
Ravion Hawk – Warrior

Posted by: Wirinus Satinus.8246

Wirinus Satinus.8246

I never seen Anet dev and Im playing since first wintersday awerage 3 hours a day…
Im on EU ,first on FSP now Im on Gandara. It seams that devs neglect EU

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

In WvW it pretty much is an aggro magnet. I usually get a fair amount of attention, what with my tendency to play light armour zerker classes and all… a week or two ago an ANet staffer flipped on their tag partway through a fight over a tower (can’t remember if it was IoJ or FA) and it was like a switch. I could have stood on a naked staff ele next to him and no-one would have fired a shot at me.