Why do I have to party up for the Story?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

I mean, I know it’s a dungeon but it’s MY story. Why do I have to find other people to help me when they’re not even acknowledged at all in the cutscenes? Also, why can I solo all my Personal Story quests until the last one? Why do I have to party up for that one when the rest I could do by myself?

Posted by: Thorgal.1287

Thorgal.1287

wait… one step back..
“why can I solo all my personal story?”

(I loved how in GW1 you had to team up to advance though next mission.. and I am really missing that aspect now)

Posted by: Raire.7983

Raire.7983

(I loved how in GW1 you had to team up to advance though next mission.. and I am really missing that aspect now)

You didn’t, though. It was always possible to complete GW1 solo. You can’t (realistically) even duo the last stage of GW2. I’m really annoyed about that.

Posted by: Thorgal.1287

Thorgal.1287

You didn’t, though. It was always possible to complete GW1 solo. You can’t (realistically) even duo the last stage of GW2. I’m really annoyed about that.

well I couldnt grins … certainly not before the heroes were there…
and I am not at the very last stage if GW2 yet… so will see – but so far I am disappointed at being able to do it all “alone” but I guess such is the nature of a personal story

Kaizer.7135

wait… one step back..
“why can I solo all my personal story?”

Well not solo every quest because some of them you are given NPC teammates, in GW1 you could solo every mission with hero’s…

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

There’s only 1 stage where you need to have someone else to help you throw the boulders. (the mansion something in orr). I’m pretty near the end of my PS, but i’m at the part where there are endless spawn and idk how to progress honestly x.x might have to bring in a few guildies to help sometime soon :P

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Posted by: Drazharm.1829

Drazharm.1829

I soloed my personal story without problems with a warrior and a condition’s based ranger ._.

I don’t know where you see the difficult.

EDIT: Oh, and on story modes, I did it on duo with a friend, so… Isn’t so difficult.

(edited by Drazharm.1829)

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

yes, I can totally understand your pain and I think having to team up for 2 hours in your entire game time in GW2 for completing the story arc is a gargantuan outrage. Those blackguards at the game design department, curses! There a lines that are not meant to be crossed and this aggression will not stand!

Kaizer.7135

I soloed my personal story without problems with a warrior and a condition’s based ranger ._.

You got past the last quest in personal story even though the beginning of it requires 2 people because there are 2 pressure plates that have to be stood on at the SAME TIME to fill a gauge. A gauge which depletes faster than it fills if one person gets off it?

Okay ._.

Posted by: xtorma.1283

xtorma.1283

I guess they figure, by the time you are at the end of your story, you have probably made a couple friends here and there.

Baron Irongut – Warrior-

Kaizer.7135

yes, I can totally understand your pain and I think having to team up for 2 hours in your entire game time in GW2 for completing the story arc is a gargantuan outrage. Those blackguards at the game design department, curses! There a lines that are not meant to be crossed and this aggression will not stand!

You missed the point, I don’t care how much time it takes, I just don’t want to play with other people in MY story and I especially don’t like playing SM Dungeons if I’m not leader because then it isn’t MY story.

Kaizer.7135

I guess they figure, by the time you are at the end of your story, you have probably made a couple friends here and there.

Yes because this game is very social when it comes to PvE (not).

How much communication do you see when there are events? none.

Drazharm.1829

You got past the last quest in personal story even though the beginning of it requires 2 people because there are 2 pressure plates that have to be stood on at the SAME TIME to fill a gauge. A gauge which depletes faster than it fills if one person gets off it?

Okay ._.

Ah, you are refering Arah. Man, that’s a dungeon, even if it is story or not xD

I did it on duo with a friend, btw. Not so difficult. I mean, if you know someone, tell him “Hey, man, let’s do this!” and that’s all. Dungeon are suposed to Coo-op, not to be soloable. For this, go to a single player RPG. NPC’s are just that, NPC’s (Excepto destiny’s edge), and chars are heroes, but even the heroes needs help. Have you seen on any book/movie a hero who could do ANYTHING alone? Nope :P

Kaizer.7135

Okay ._.

I did it on duo with a friend, btw. Not so difficult. I mean, if you know someone, tell him “Hey, man, let’s do this!” and that’s all. Dungeon are suposed to Coo-op, not to be soloable. For this, go to a single player RPG. NPC’s are just that, NPC’s (Excepto destiny’s edge), and chars are heroes, but even the heroes needs help. Have you seen on any book/movie a hero who could do ANYTHING alone? Nope :P

We have Destiny’s Edge helping us in Arah.

EDIT: Also, could you tell me how you cleared Arah with just 2 people? I’m very curious, because I can’t find anyone willing to do this quest. Thx

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Well not solo every quest because some of them you are given NPC teammates, in GW1 you could solo every mission with hero’s…

Heroes were not added until Nightfall. And even so you could only use three of them until years later.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Drazharm.1829

Okay ._.

We have Destiny’s Edge helping us in Arah.

EDIT: Also, could you tell me how you cleared Arah with just 2 people? I’m very curious, because I can’t find anyone willing to do this quest. Thx

Yeah, but Destiny’s Edge has a terrible AI XD

BTW, I cleared Arah with a friend because we did it more times helping guildies and we knew all steps from the dungeon, so we were prepared. We died a couple of times, yes, but it isn’t so difficult that we can’t beat. The worst part is the little ship deffense, after clearing Arah’s landing zone because the lieutenants spawns too much minions

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Heroes were not added until Nightfall. And even so you could only use three of them until years later.

But you had the henchies though, even though most of them kinda sucked. Thats how I did most of the game. Only on some of the harder missions did I try to find a group. The heroes were/are definitely better, but henchies had their day too.

I’m not sure I like having to try to find other people to finish the story in GW2. Those that start(ed) late, or are on at a time when not many other people are on, (or don’t have any friends that can help) are kinda screwed from completing the story.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: phooka.4295

phooka.4295

Because it’s a multiplayer.

And it’s gracious enough to require you to party up for one quest only. If you’re looking for a singleplayer game where you kill old dragons all on your own, it’s called Skyrim and costs even less than GW2. Maybe you can swap it at the store and get a refund?

Posted by: Lt Latency.7415

Lt Latency.7415

Because the whole Story is about not being able to take on the dragaon alone and requiring all of Tiraia as well as building alliances to team up with to stop the dragaon???

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

With some effort you can probably solo Arah SM.

Yes it will be hard, yes it will take hours, but it’s probably possible.

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

Posted by: Reihert.1509

Reihert.1509

Because it’s a MMO. Grouping is inherit of it. Specially at the grand finalle where you’ll face the ultimate evil.

Posted by: Raire.7983

Raire.7983

Because the whole Story is about not being able to take on the dragaon alone and requiring all of Tiraia as well as building alliances to team up with to stop the dragaon???

That doesn’t explain why it’s in a 5-man dungeon and not open-world PvE. It’s sad really – Orr is the only region of the game where the DE’s set up the expectation of an epic dragon battle (when they’re functioning, of course), but then you’re just left hanging at the door of a blasted dungeon, with LFG filling the chat box.

Posted by: Alex Sanchez.6792

Alex Sanchez.6792

Dude, if you wanted to play a single player game then why are you on an MMO?

Posted by: Paradox.5498

Paradox.5498

It IS kinda weird that you spend 80 levels getting all races, factions and some tribes together to face the big bad reptile of death when in the end you’re stuck on finding 4 players to do the job with. I understand how frustrating it is to play 99% of a game in a casual, independant way to discover that you can’t finish the very last part just because you fail to find a group willing to do Arah story mode with you.

Posted by: Voqar.2349

Voqar.2349

Why play MMORPGs if you don’t wnt to group? They are massively multiplayer for a reason. Tons of single player games out there for people who only want to solo – stop contributing to diluting MMORPGs if you don’t really want to play them.

Posted by: Fry.2794

Fry.2794

Why play MMORPGs if you don’t wnt to group? They are massively multiplayer for a reason. Tons of single player games out there for people who only want to solo – stop contributing to diluting MMORPGs if you don’t really want to play them.

I play for the story and the world. Your attitude towards players who play for a different reason than you is horrid. I would love to play this game with friends but they have no intrest in this game. If you think i should make new friends in game, then I ask, why would I want friends with an attitude like yours?

Posted by: carson yuen.6739

carson yuen.6739

I play for the story and the world. Your attitude towards players who play for a different reason than you is horrid. I would love to play this game with friends but they have no intrest in this game. If you think i should make new friends in game, then I ask, why would I want friends with an attitude like yours?

Correction: you play for the world and story in AN MMO. Thats means there will be multiplayer aspect in that game. If you wan to see the world and story in genre, respect the rules that come with it.

Its like complaining about how super mario doesnt have multiplYer, or how a racing game forces you to race.

If you dont want to group or party in games, dont touch a mmo. If you like he story, suck it up like a man instead of complaining why a mmorpg requires you to play with other people.

Posted by: Daevinia.9184

Daevinia.9184

Maybe it’s not that personal…

~ nothing is constant but change~

Currently: 3619 kills ~ all for Piken Square

Posted by: Turtlemilk.1064

Turtlemilk.1064

Maybe the final mission is ArenaNet’s way of introducing players to dungeons. Or… perhaps they wanted the last mission to be as epic as possible. Too bad Arah is so unfinished, though.

Posted by: Darknass.1903

Darknass.1903

Maybe they figured by the time you hit 80 you would have “friends” or maybe guildies or maybe just some people you met along the way to help you on your adventures? I mean if your playing an MMO you may be expected to play with other actual people every once in awhile, and if you don’t like doing so, maybe you should rethink your choice of genre?

HoD – Ranger, Ele, Guard, Engie.

“The best defense is a strong offense.”

Kaizer.7135

Dude, if you wanted to play a single player game then why are you on an MMO?

So because I want to play only ONE part of the game (my personal story) alone, you presume I want to play the ENTIRE game alone?