Why do Upgrade Extractors still exist?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vegeta.2563

Vegeta.2563

Honest to god question…

They are 125 gems each, that’s roughly 35 gold each if converting gold to gems. The only 2 items worth more than that are Superior Sigil of Concentration at 50-57 gold, and Superior Sigil of Karka Slaying ranging from buy orders of 41 gold to lowest listing of 157 gold.

Besides those 2.. there is absolutely no reason to buy the Upgrade Extractor on the Gemstore. It is taking up space and does no good to anyone. Over 99% of the Runes and Sigils on the trading post can be bought for cheaper and can replace the existing one in the item.

These either need to be removed, or the price dropped dramatically to be worth purchasing.

This Guild Is Fire [PRUF]

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

It’s useful for players who are gold poor but cash rich. Also don’t forget two handed weapons have two upgrades and possibly an infusion slot. The extractor gets all of them at once.

Also if you realize it’s a raw deal that you would never purchase, then why care?

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

If a business keeps an item in its inventory instead of removing it to make room for something else then to me that’s a pretty good indication that it’s being bought in enough numbers to be worth it. If they don’t ever drop the price then that’s another

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

If a business keeps an item in its inventory instead of removing it to make room for something else then to me that’s a pretty good indication that it’s being bought in enough numbers to be worth it. If they don’t ever drop the price then that’s another

Yeah. In a “virtual” shop where there are much lower costs associated with the inventory, it’s not such a strong hint, but … I can only assume people do buy these, instead of simply repurchasing the sigils, which is almost exclusively less expensive. shrug

Posted by: Dilligaf Wyt.1867

Dilligaf Wyt.1867

It is also used in the removal of agony resistance infusions. +17 agony infusion is quite a bit of gold. In the 1000’s if i remember correctly.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

It is also used in the removal of agony resistance infusions. +17 agony infusion is quite a bit of gold. In the 1000’s if i remember correctly.

You can buy an infusion extraction device for 24 silver to do that.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Infusion_Extraction_Device

The Burninator

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

I’ve never thought of buying them because I still have stacks of Black Lion Salvage Kits (never bought them, they just piled up from somewhere), and only use them on Exotic+ armor (usually sell weapons I don’t need, unless the weapon has a shiny sigil) or for the 100% extraction if I’m upgrading/changing weapons.

Posted by: Dilligaf Wyt.1867

Dilligaf Wyt.1867

You can buy an infusion extraction device for 24 silver to do that.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Infusion_Extraction_Device

In that case, yeah no real point for it.

Vegeta.2563

It’s useful for players who are gold poor but cash rich. Also don’t forget two handed weapons have two upgrades and possibly an infusion slot. The extractor gets all of them at once.

Also if you realize it’s a raw deal that you would never purchase, then why care?

Wouldn’t buying gems and converting to gold then buying the runes or sigils via TP be even cheaper anyway?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

250 gems can be exchanged for around 51-52 gold, so maybe yes.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Vegeta.2563

250 gems can be exchanged for around 51-52 gold, so maybe yes.

When Most Runes or Sigils are around 12g max .. you can buy those and replace over the existing ones in the gear, instead of using extractor.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

or the devs just left it there…

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

ehhh w8 until the next lw update and you will get to see why they didmt remove them.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

My guess is the entire market is newbies who do not know prices yet. I remember using one when I was new to the game but would not repeat that mistake now.

Posted by: Legendary Grenth.3561

Legendary Grenth.3561

Okay but what if I don’t want to salvage my legendary back item to replace an aura effect or remove a +15 infusion, there you go. well worth the 35g

Posted by: Keefe.3821

Keefe.3821

Yeah, it’s a rip-off. Totally defeats the purpose of using it.

Posted by: Keefe.3821

Keefe.3821

I’ve never thought of buying them because I still have stacks of Black Lion Salvage Kits (never bought them, they just piled up from somewhere), and only use them on Exotic+ armor (usually sell weapons I don’t need, unless the weapon has a shiny sigil) or for the 100% extraction if I’m upgrading/changing weapons.

I rarely gets black lion kits now. Knowing ANET I’m sure that its not a coincidence.

Posted by: Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Okay but what if I don’t want to salvage my legendary back item to replace an aura effect or remove a +15 infusion, there you go. well worth the 35g

Since the only thing slotted in a legendary backpiece is infusions, I’d recomend getting an infusion extractor for a couple silver instead.

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

The Gemstore is a virtual shop.
Items in the gemstore take up no space at all, nor do they prevent the addition of new items, so even for items with low sale value, its better to leave them there, as someone will still buy them.
Most of the items in the Gemstore have no real use, and are just cosmetic, but ppl still buy them.