Why do home instance nodes cost so much?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

It seems like Anet loves to do this thing where they’re like “Hey you can have this cool sustainable source of something but it costs WAY more than you’re going to get out of it!”

Like all the home instance nodes, if you look at the amount of gold you could get instead for the gems they cost, or the sell value of the ones you find in the black lion chest…

Then there’s the candy corn node which costs 5,000 candy corn. It would take what, 1,000+ days to make it up? That’s assuming you mine it every day and you average to like 5 candy corn each day. That’s not worth it, so I guess I’m not going to get the candy corn node.

That’s what I always end up concluding about these home instance nodes. They simply aren’t worth it. They are cool but they might as well not be in the game because they’re not worth getting.

Posted by: Xiahou Mao.9701

Xiahou Mao.9701

Those nodes were initially introduced as achievement rewards in earlier, temporary content. At those times, you didn’t need to “buy” them, just perform certain in-game tasks during the limited time they were available to unlock.

With that content no longer available, it left some people with the nodes and others without, so along with most of the other temporary Living Story Season One achievement rewards, it was brought back and put on the Laurel vendor for people to buy if they wished. Nowhere near as profitable as earning it in the first place, but at least the option is there.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

They’re not worth it to buy, cost wise, but to some people it’s worth it completionist wise to have a full home instance. It’s rather like the gemstore harvesting tools. When you get those it’s not because it will save you money or is cost effective in some way.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

They’re not worth it to buy, cost wise, but to some people it’s worth it completionist wise to have a full home instance. It’s rather like the gemstore harvesting tools. When you get those it’s not because it will save you money or is cost effective in some way.

At least the tools make the game more convenient to play. I ended up getting the big package with all 3 of them and the copper fed salvage kit and some other stuff.

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

If you wanted to get a node for your home instance, I would recommend the quartz crystal node. It’s actually worth it, IMO.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

Since you can invite other people into your home instance, and there’s no limit to how many people can mine your home instance per day, a guild or other friend group could actually get a lot of value out of home instance nodes, or at least a lot more than one person.

I’ll occasionally see people advertising trips into a complete home instance, for free or for a tip. Clearly someone is enjoying them. (Personally, they’re too expensive to interest me, but they’re definitely not pointless. They make people happy!)

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

They make it incredibly easy to just log in and bang out the dailies .

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Roundabout.1752

Roundabout.1752

They make it incredibly easy to just log in and bang out the dailies .

So very true a couple of my friends have very limited play time it really helps them that I have lots of stuff in my Home instance.

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

well cost wise they are not worth it unless you look very very long haul

i just like having them

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It seems like Anet loves to do this thing where they’re like “Hey you can have this cool sustainable source of something but it costs WAY more than you’re going to get out of it!”

Like all the home instance nodes, if you look at the amount of gold you could get instead for the gems they cost, or the sell value of the ones you find in the black lion chest…

Then there’s the candy corn node which costs 5,000 candy corn. It would take what, 1,000+ days to make it up? That’s assuming you mine it every day and you average to like 5 candy corn each day. That’s not worth it, so I guess I’m not going to get the candy corn node.

That’s what I always end up concluding about these home instance nodes. They simply aren’t worth it. They are cool but they might as well not be in the game because they’re not worth getting.

Gem store purchases (with a single, notable exception) are always designed as convenience items, not something that gives you a substantive advantage in progression or profits.

A better question might be: why are people willing to pay relatively more for unbound nodes on the Trading Post? At current prices, the gem store nodes should break even in 2 to 9 years (depending on your choice and assuming markets don’t change a lot, which of course, they will). In contrast, three nodes on the TP will take over 10 years (one of them — elder wood — requiring nearly 20). ANet’s pricing is fixed, but the TP prices depend entirely on the community’s willingness to pay & for some reason, we’re willing to pay more than 800/3 gems for some nodes.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: ham.8209

ham.8209

you do know you can get some of these nodes with laurals right??? and they do not cost that much . as i recall it only took me about a month at best to get the ones off the laurals person . but i will say for the nodes that are sold on the trading post . i will fully agree they cost too much . but if you can scrape up the gold for it in a months time let,s say to get them all . yes its a bit painful but very much worth it. disptie the high price on the trading post

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

At least the tools make the game more convenient to play. I ended up getting the big package with all 3 of them and the copper fed salvage kit and some other stuff.

I have a number of nodes in my home instance. Enough that I can get the daily mining in there whenever it comes up. It’s a small convenience, true. But it is one.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I was thinking about the home instance nodes just yesterday. Popping back to the home instance to farm all those ores is a bit tedious. At least, in the open world, there’s a bit of adventure in finding ores. You get to participate in events or whatnot along the way. I often combine frozen maw with shiverpeaks miner for example.

So it got me thinking: what if I could pay an npc to farm my home instance nodes for me? It wouldn’t have to count towards a daily and it would provide valuable work for those unemployed npcs just lounging around so they could feed their npc children.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

So it got me thinking: what if I could pay an npc to farm my home instance nodes for me? It wouldn’t have to count towards a daily and it would provide valuable work for those unemployed npcs just lounging around so they could feed their npc children.

lol I’d pay to have an NPC that mined all my home instance resource nodes everyday. Then I could get the mats without having to make the trip home each day to do it.