Why do people link their drops?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

I just want to assure you that I do not dislike when people talk, communicate or link the yellow item they got from the last enemy. I love when people want to interract in dungeons and such.

But I’m just wondering, why? Why do people link stuff all the time if it’s rare and up? I’m not annoyed by it or anything like that, I’m just curious why people do it. Or why do you link your items if you get anything?

Posted by: irrimn.3192

irrimn.3192

It’s somewhat for bragging, like, “Hey look what I just got!” but it also helps create a sense of competition I guess? Like if everyone in the group links their rares and up then you can see who is getting the most/best loot. Plus it’s just nice to see that the run is paying off and that people are getting good stuff for their time. When no one links their drops by the end of a run I usually feel like, “Well, that was a crappy run. Nothing good even dropped at all.” So it helps make it feel like, even if I didn’t get any good drops, at least it wasn’t a total waste of time? I guess.

Posted by: Amos.8760

Amos.8760

When someone links a rare, I’m like – congratulations on the potential ectoplasm.

I feel that only exotics and up should be linked; anything else is too common.

My turret is so much better at this game than I am.

Posted by: Rhaps.8540

Rhaps.8540

Because getting decent loot in this game is such a rare occurance it deserves the fanfare so to speak ^ ^

Seafarer’s Rest – Guild Leader The Deamon Army [TDA]

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I’m glad they do. Even if I never find anything of particular interest, I don’t, it reminds me there is a miniscule chance that one day I will.

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

I think people have gotten used to very rarely having drops of yellow+ items in the world, so it’s a bit of corporate celebration when they get something.

Since the fractals have come along, getting yellows is commonplace, so celebration doesn’t make as much sense there, but I still understand why people like to do it.

Once you get past a certain point in fractals, people just stop linking anything. In the 20’s you might see someone link an infused ring, an exotic, or a shard, but I think I’ve only seen someone link a yellow in 20+ one time (save for the cores and lodestones at the maw chest).

Posted by: XarOneZeroNine.2374

XarOneZeroNine.2374

Because if other people see the link the item is actually exists and it’s not them just seeing the illusion of finally actually getting a halfway decent drop…

Or they just want to brag….

Or as a reason for the group to keep going. As in ‘hey, look what I just got, if we keep killing maybe we’ll get more!’ kind of thing…

Or to spur conversation with new people..

Different strokes for different folks I guess…

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

I just want to assure you that I do not dislike when people talk, communicate or link the yellow item they got from the last enemy. I love when people want to interract in dungeons and such.

But I’m just wondering, why? Why do people link stuff all the time if it’s rare and up? I’m not annoyed by it or anything like that, I’m just curious why people do it. Or why do you link your items if you get anything?

It’s because they are happy and want to show other people the reason why they are happy. Humans are social creatures; we seek acceptance with other socal circles. People have a social need to have another person beside them in time of pain and distress; same with pleasure and happiness.

In reality all they want to see is other people say “grats”. Thats the social reinforcment of acceptance. Meaning that the person is looking for acceptance in the social group.

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

I’ve always found it silly when people link rares.

If you get an exotic drop, that’s uncommon. Go ahead and link it and I will give you your “grats” =P.

But it’s funny when people link rares while doing pen/shelt in orr. I probably average a rare every other event, as does everyone else. It isn’t worthy of mention. It’d be like linking every time you get an unid dye or a t6 mat.

Worst is at dragons, where rares from the chest are quite common, so you get 8 people linking their carrion spear of air or something, hehe.

Posted by: Goettel.4389

Goettel.4389

In a PUG I would take it as an offer of giving the item to someone who needs/wants it, possibly as a gift. But -hey- maybe that’s just the small vestige of optimism left in me.

Send an Asura who knows math. Problem solved.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

But it’s funny when people link rares while doing pen/shelt in orr. I probably average a rare every other event, as does everyone else. It isn’t worthy of mention. It’d be like linking every time you get an unid dye or a t6 mat.

I just want to say that in my (small) guild we often link Unidentified Dyes in guild chat, and see who can guess what basic color it will be.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Could also be, if it’s done at a location where the TP is, that people are checking out the looks of an item – not changing their chat to whisper or the like.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

I do it to show that Mystic forge is not a wasted effort. I’ve been combining all my junk to make rared to use or sell or combine further to get exos.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Posted by: LordGustoff.3752

LordGustoff.3752

I almost never link drops in PUGs. However if I am running with guild mates (or guildies outnumber the pugs in our group) I know really well, linking stuff is quite a common occurrence. I think it’s mostly a social thing – sparks conversation and the like (ie: oh that is a cool skin/that’s ugly etc.). Sometimes we have competitions to see who gets the worst loot, or if we are having a bad run it’s nice to know someone is getting something out of it – especially if those four other people are along for the ride to help YOU with something specific.

We also often make fun of dye colors, especially if is something really ridiculous.

If you did what they did, you would have what they have.
You have what you have because you do what you do.

Posted by: drongas.4189

drongas.4189

i link allways. mb in my group need it and his buy it or get for free if in guild group

………..Gandara………..

I’m kill you’r bessies

Posted by: RocNessMonster.9620

RocNessMonster.9620

Worst is at dragons, where rares from the chest are quite common, so you get 8 people linking their carrion spear of air or something, hehe.

Oh please, getting 5 blues and 2 green gems is what the majority of us get from a dragon chest.

People post their rares and up to give the rest of us hope that not every chest is going to be filled with garbage thats just gets broken down and deposited in my collectables.

Posted by: Letifer.4360

Letifer.4360

Everyone I know links their drops for the lol’s nothing more than that x’D

Posted by: Solbrio.1902

Solbrio.1902

I like to link unique (to me anyway) looking rares and exotics because of the randomness and the fact that the TP is still not preview-able. Never know when someone links something that they’ve never seen before but might like for themselves and it was linked by someone getting it randomly.

I found a rare staff the other night that had two floating feathers at the top. Never saw that before so I linked it. I ended up salvaging it, but it still looked cool.

I guess part of me would feel badly if I didn’t at least share the look of the item at least with someone before I deleted it from existence.

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

I link them just to show all the pugs that drops may happen sometimes, and to show how lowlevel fractals drop more yellows than highlevels, and how this makes me confused.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I get that in this thread people are talking about rares and up.
I just want to share something that happened to me recently- I have been leveling alts so I’m playing in Queensdale and Wayfarer Foothills.
I did Shadow Behemoth and Maw and both times the players where sharing greens that drop- the reason they did this was so that we can swap it out among ourselves-

It was really awesome to see- the entire chat was filled with: who wants this- can I have that- do you want etc.
It was a really nice experience because these were new players and they were enjoying themselves and sharing their loot among everyone who made the kill.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Arsenic Touch.7960

Arsenic Touch.7960

Linking them after dragon chests is good idea, maybe anet is watching will realize that if only 2 people get a yellow out of the whole group of like 40 people, clearly something is up.

Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

Dragonbrand – Level 80 – Human Ranger