Why do people stop playing GW2?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

The truth is they do not stop playing they take time off and that is by design of the game. If a person say they are quitting but are not giving up there code etc.. things that let you back into the game then they are not truly quitting.

Uh, no. On September 3rd, I quit the game. “Quit,” as in “not coming back.”

The only way I would consider coming back would be if they rolled the game back to what it was at launch (and we all know they will never do that). I tolerated ascended jewelry, though only begrudgingly so. Once ascended weapons came out, and I saw what ANet intends for “progression” in this game, I was done. I had enough problems with the game before September 3rd; you can look at my post on page one of this thread to see what some of them are, if you care to. Ascended gear progression was the icing on the cake for me.

Do I miss the game? Not at all.

So by posting here your trying to achieve what? You know coming to these forums IS still part of the GW2 game in a way more so then other mmorpgs. If you can still come here and post and can still start the game up and play you not realty quit the game.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Spiral Architect.6540

Spiral Architect.6540

The truth is they do not stop playing they take time off and that is by design of the game. If a person say they are quitting but are not giving up there code etc.. things that let you back into the game then they are not truly quitting.

The only way I would consider coming back would be if they rolled the game back to what it was at launch (and we all know they will never do that). I tolerated ascended jewelry, though only begrudgingly so. Once ascended weapons came out, and I saw what ANet intends for “progression” in this game, I was done. I had enough problems with the game before September 3rd; you can look at my post on page one of this thread to see what some of them are, if you care to. Ascended gear progression was the icing on the cake for me.

So by posting here your trying to achieve what? You know coming to these forums IS still part of the GW2 game in a way more so then other mmorpgs. If you can still come here and post and can still start the game up and play you not realty quit the game.

How is posting here akin to playing the game? Your logic (or lack thereof) escapes me. This thread is about why people quit the game. I posted, saying why I quit. That’s all.

Jski.6180

How is posting here akin to playing the game? Your logic (or lack thereof) escapes me. This thread is about why people quit the game. I posted, saying why I quit. That’s all.

Ok so to truly quit something you must remove your self comply from that game. When it comes to these online games you have another spaces to play that game the web. Now this is most of the time done in community build forums by going to these forums your still part of that community and if that group is still playing though games then these forums are still part of that game. What we have here is the official forums for GW2 it is a build in part of the GW2 game a places where we can talk to the makers of the game and tell them what we think about it. There are no general discussion about other games here nor are there forums about other things then just games this is a pure GW2 spaces. By coming here your engaging in GW2.

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Ok so to truly quit something you must remove your self comply from that game. When it comes to these online games you have another spaces to play that game the web. Now this is most of the time done in community build forums by going to these forums your still part of that community and if that group is still playing though games then these forums are still part of that game. What we have here is the official forums for GW2 it is a build in part of the GW2 game a places where we can talk to the makers of the game and tell them what we think about it. There are no general discussion about other games here nor are there forums about other things then just games this is a pure GW2 spaces. By coming here your engaging in GW2.

IMO, if you visit the forums but do not log into the game, you still have quit. To me, quitting is logging out with the intention of not logging in again.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

There is a fair difference between playing a game and posting on the forums.

It would be the same to say, if you read the critics of a movie it is the same as watching it…

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

If you say you do not miss the game, yet keep coming back to the forums… You miss the game. I quit WoW nearly 6 years ago, and I do not miss the game at all, I also haven’t been back to those forums since I have quit the game.

Posted by: Aigleborgne.2981

Aigleborgne.2981

I have played this game intensively for 4 months after more than 4000 hours in GW1.
I enjoyed a lot GW2 when I was playing, but now, I don’t even want to log in, IMO:
- open world is made for solo players, totally group unfriendly, a killer for a MMO game. I have spent most of my exploration alone because doing hearts in group is pointless. Plus, it is rather easy to move anywhere alone, monsters can’t kill any skilled player. In GW1, it was almost impossible to run in any difficult map without a well-prepared group. Monsters would knockdown, curses to death, slow, …. they were a real pain and I love that. All you need in GW2 is 1 or 2 dodges at proper times when running, as if you were walking in a park.
- dungeons are boring because they all follow the same tactic: focus fire and dodge all those veterans+ monsters. I enjoyed a lot more GW1 missions because you actually had to think a lot more how to use your skills and group coordination.
- dodge is too much important and out of place in a MMO game. I mean, you can be the most fragile class, if you know how to dodge and manage to get vigor, you don’t need any other defense. I can build the most defensive character, I’ll still almost get one-shot by most champions and the only way to survive is… dodging ! boring…
- variety of skills : very poor. I agree that GW2 skills are more interesting than GW1 but, it comes with a tremendious drawback : less skills. Sure, you can swap your weapons, but do you really have a large choice? No. And 3 elites per profession? Well, I really miss GW1 elites, where I could spend hours to build my skills around my elite. Here, elites are almost useless. So long cooldowns that I always telling myself “I don’t need to waste my elite now, I can manage without”
- average traits system: so many bugged or useless traits lead to very few possibilities. I played elementalists a lot, water and arcana had very good traits, but it was pretty much all of it. Fire, air, and earth to a lesser extent, have too many unwanted (or boring) traits. If GW2 is supposed to be fun, I would start by replacing any traits that add “+x% damage” or whatever boring stuff. A fun trait is tied to a new ability, this is why water and arcana traits were so brilliant.
- worst queue system in WWW with no queue position indicator. “change server if you don’t want to wait”, great answer! Is that so hard to add a queue position indicator for those used to wait more than 20 minutes without knowing how long it would take…
- boring pvp with only one conquer type map. I mean, conquer is fun at times, but not all the time! Annihilate enemy team is fun too and I miss it from gw1. As well as things like Fort Aspenwood, I had a lot of fun in this map.
- I could go on…

(edited by Aigleborgne.2981)

Kaiyanwan.8521

Don’t get me wrong, I still play the game from time to time.
But I see no problem in missing a game and still quit it for good.

Maybe you miss a girl you once dated, but you decided to never date her again. With your argument, you would still be in a relationship. That makes no sense.

Jski.6180

IMO, if you visit the forums but do not log into the game, you still have quit. To me, quitting is logging out with the intention of not logging in again.

The thing is by paying for the game of GW2 you get to post on these forums. To me that makes these forums an inseparable part of GW2.

Kaiyanwan.8521

The thing is by paying for the game of GW2 you get to post on these forums. To me that makes these forums an inseparable part of GW2.

You have this right for the rest of the existance of the game. If someone posts once after years, he has been playing the game all the time?

Posted by: Lostwingman.5034

Lostwingman.5034

So my question to you is, why do you think people stop playing Guild Wars 2?

It became too much of a grind. Started hurting people with lots of alts.
Made the Living Story a grind dedication-fest.

Bad@Ele: Alaric Von Manstein
Bad@Thief: Kiera Gordon
Sea of Sorrows, a server never before so appropriately named.

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

Reasons I barely play anymore:

-Community is complete garbage compared to other MMORPG’s. I’ve found friendlier people in dark alleyways at night. I’ve found maybe 3 people that I can really say I’ve enjoyed playing with in almost 2,500 hours of playing, and that’s sad for an MMORPG.

-This just doesn’t feel like an RPG to me. I don’t know what it is, but I just don’t feel like I’m playing an RPG at all when I play. Is it maybe the lack of progression? Maybe a lack of capes? A lack of character personality? Maybe the fact that I don’t have to talk to an npc to receive a quest and that eliminates Roleplaying? I don’t know, but it could be some weird combination of those that make me feel this way.

-The class balance is skewed so badly that every time a balance patch comes along, I could hop on my character and say, “I wonder if I’m going to win or lose these PvP matches until the next patch”. I caught myself thinking that and had to reprimand myself. It should be, “Well, I’m confident in my ability to do my best and I’m confident in my build, so there’s a good chance I’ll win, but there’s always a chance I’ll lose”. The classes either get buffed too hard or nerfed way too much. Apparently, finding a balance is too difficult.

-Soooo many bugs. I can’t play for a day without running into at least 2 bugs that prevent me from doing some stuff whether it’s selling some gear, selling to a merchant, or getting my gold deleted. No mmorpg, in my history of playing, has ever had as many bugs as GW2.

-It deviates from the norm. Different races than classic RPG’s, different classes, and overall, the world does not feel nearly as polished as it should. I feel like the Asura, the Sylvari, and the Charr are the joke races of this game. Asura are small and incredibly ugly… they don’t even look like they could even be a real race. Sylvari are also ugly, and they barely look like they could be people. And for the final complaint: Charr’s armor does not fit them, and when it does fit them, it’s a 99% chance that it will turn out ugly. Dwarves, Gnomes, Elves, and Humans all feel like real races that could actually exist. I don’t feel this way about the current classes in GW2… I feel like I’m playing in an imaginary world where everything is fluffy, pink, and ugly.

-The combat and player screen suck. Skill explosions get in the way of seeing when an enemy will attack me, and I will insta-die immediately because I can’t see a single darn animation.

-WvW is terrible. Biggest servers win, lowest servers lose. No competition there.

-SPvP is so unbalanced that barely anyone plays it anymore. I tried SPvP twice: The first time, I was level 70ish and basically got instakilled by a warrior with a hammer. That’s when I quit for about 4 months. Then I tried a second time and got roflstomped by a guardian with a greatsword. Never again SPvP…. never again.

Guild Wars 2 is a decent game for the initial 100 hours that I put into it, but after the 100 hours I just got bored and had to begin forcing myself to play. I can normally force myself through some pretty hard grinding/bugs/bad situations that happen to me in MMORPG’s, but this is honestly the first MMORPG where I’ve stopped playing until Anet fixes at least the majority of their mistakes.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Jski.6180

You have this right for the rest of the existance of the game. If someone posts once after years, he has been playing the game all the time?

No they have just taken a lot of time off from the game.
That the nice thing about GW2 you can take a year off and pick it back up with out any need for a fee. That the idea behind GW2 it was the ideal behind GW1 and any B2P game. F2P are close to this but its a bit more open ended for them.

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

GW2 players can leave and come back any time and do so constantly without being “left behind” on the gear treadmill.

This is a 100% false statement. If you left when ascended gear came out and recently came back there is nothing to catch you up to Ascended gear that has been ground out by other players. You get to start in and try to catch up which is good luck. Other games like WoW if I start playing now I can start getting the base tier of this seasons gear in an hour or two. WoW has what you just said. Not GW2.

Difference is that WoWs gear is absolutely required to complete all content they have, Guild Wars 2, ascended gear is not required, exotics not even required, and the one place that you need ascended gear for Agony Resistance, you’ll get it anyways while doing the Fractals without having to repeat the same level over and over again to get that required AR to move on to the next level.

So no, you are not left behind if you do not play for 6 months or even a year.
In WoW you still have to keep up with the gear treadmill if you do not want to be left behind, if you want to do all the content that will be released, with Guild Wars 2, you can stay in Rares if you want and will never be undergeared to complete the content.

I have never played WoW, so I don’t know what I’m talking about, but that has never stopped me before.

I would much rather have required gear that is easy to obtain that not-required but better stat gear that is a pain in the kitten to obtain.

I’m just inferring here, but you sound (as am i) to be one of those players who just want BiS gear just because you want the best.

The question is, what’s after getting it? During the process you had something to progress towards, and there’s nothing you can’t do without BiS gear in the game. So is there really a point to getting it ASAP?

Yes, I want BiS stuff because it’s there. No real good reason other than that.

Judging from how I played the game when exotics were BiS, once I had the BiS stuff I made another alt and started over or I tried a different build which required different BiS gear. Which was cool because I got to try out a bunch of different playstyles.

I have been a condi-thief, a power-thief, a condi-mesmer, a power-mesmer, a power warrior, a bunker ele, a power ranger, a BM bunker condi ranger, and an AH hammer guardian.

Anyway, I have my made my peace with the game. Evidence suggests that the vast majority of people do not care about the things I care about. I can see where it is going. For me, the game will probably never be better than it is now. And it’s a good deal worse than it was last year.

But I am not the intended audience. The game was not designed for me. So I will enjoy it as long as I can.

The problem is that if they just handed BiS gear to you, there would be ‘nothing to do’ for most of the MMO gamerbase out there, or so it seems, because that’s what everyone complained about. There’s a lack of progress.

I don’t think VP is the answer to it but it does somewhat temporarily solve the problem. I personally think we need a ton of HP in terms of skills.

If I had my way with this game, I’d just scrap classes altogether so people would need an eternity to reach a progress cap in terms of getting all the skills (pre-champ bag skill scroll fiasco), by which time I would have had enough time to come up with a whole bunch of new skills for them to get.

TooBz.3065

GW2 players can leave and come back any time and do so constantly without being “left behind” on the gear treadmill.

This is a 100% false statement. If you left when ascended gear came out and recently came back there is nothing to catch you up to Ascended gear that has been ground out by other players. You get to start in and try to catch up which is good luck. Other games like WoW if I start playing now I can start getting the base tier of this seasons gear in an hour or two. WoW has what you just said. Not GW2.

Difference is that WoWs gear is absolutely required to complete all content they have, Guild Wars 2, ascended gear is not required, exotics not even required, and the one place that you need ascended gear for Agony Resistance, you’ll get it anyways while doing the Fractals without having to repeat the same level over and over again to get that required AR to move on to the next level.

So no, you are not left behind if you do not play for 6 months or even a year.
In WoW you still have to keep up with the gear treadmill if you do not want to be left behind, if you want to do all the content that will be released, with Guild Wars 2, you can stay in Rares if you want and will never be undergeared to complete the content.

I have never played WoW, so I don’t know what I’m talking about, but that has never stopped me before.

I would much rather have required gear that is easy to obtain that not-required but better stat gear that is a pain in the kitten to obtain.

I’m just inferring here, but you sound (as am i) to be one of those players who just want BiS gear just because you want the best.

The question is, what’s after getting it? During the process you had something to progress towards, and there’s nothing you can’t do without BiS gear in the game. So is there really a point to getting it ASAP?

Yes, I want BiS stuff because it’s there. No real good reason other than that.

Judging from how I played the game when exotics were BiS, once I had the BiS stuff I made another alt and started over or I tried a different build which required different BiS gear. Which was cool because I got to try out a bunch of different playstyles.

I have been a condi-thief, a power-thief, a condi-mesmer, a power-mesmer, a power warrior, a bunker ele, a power ranger, a BM bunker condi ranger, and an AH hammer guardian.

Anyway, I have my made my peace with the game. Evidence suggests that the vast majority of people do not care about the things I care about. I can see where it is going. For me, the game will probably never be better than it is now. And it’s a good deal worse than it was last year.

But I am not the intended audience. The game was not designed for me. So I will enjoy it as long as I can.

The problem is that if they just handed BiS gear to you, there would be ‘nothing to do’ for most of the MMO gamerbase out there, or so it seems, because that’s what everyone complained about. There’s a lack of progress.

I don’t think VP is the answer to it but it does somewhat temporarily solve the problem. I personally think we need a ton of HP in terms of skills.

If I had my way with this game, I’d just scrap classes altogether so people would need an eternity to reach a progress cap in terms of getting all the skills (pre-champ bag skill scroll fiasco), by which time I would have had enough time to come up with a whole bunch of new skills for them to get.

Yes, I understand the problem. I’m just better than most people at finding my own fun, and I’m worse than most people in finding the fun in VP.

Posted by: Amstel Steel.2058

Amstel Steel.2058

My theory is that the nature of the fixed weapon sets make this game boring over time. The lack of build templates makes it harder to use lots of build diversity. The current state of pve conditions makes build diversity more limited in terms of open world effectiveness.

The addition of pools of unfixed weapon skills per set/profession along with build templates could be the best thing for this game.

Posted by: Skan.5301

Skan.5301

14 months later, this surfaced. Where was it before then?

Being totally honest, you don’t know if the Collab Dev will actually be used or not. Are you 100% certian that anything being said in that thread will be taken into account and eventually implemented? It could all be a PR stunt. Not saying it is or that it isn’t.

It’s like if we’re talking, and we’re pitching ideas for a new shop we’re going to order. What we’ll sell, and all that. We take surveys from people and ask them to write down some suggestions. Do we have to take all of them in and start selling things people say? No. We can choose to, or we can pick a few out, or we can not do any of the things suggested. It’s like that at this moment in time.

ANet could be saying “Oh yea, that’s great!”, “I like that. I’ll throw it to the team.” Do you know it’s being done? Again, the answer is no. So basically, we have nothing to go on other than a bit of trust, right?

“Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.”
– Euripides

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Turgut.4397

Turgut.4397

I quit because I wanted a Guild Wars game. Not another WoW, this time with oversimplified skills and a ‘dodge everything and win’ button.

I’ve played on and off since pre-release, well over a thousand hours of my life spent (or wasted?) here. But I thought enough is enough. I think a year and 2 months was a bit generous of me to think Anet would change this game for the better. I haven’t once felt like this game is the successor to the masterpiece that was GW1. What Anet has chosen to do is abandon the ideas that made their first game great, and moved on to feed these hardcore, ex-WoW/grindy MMO content locusts, and their never ending thirst for pretty stats and meaningless numbers.

As much as I have personally admired the GW series over WoW, the latter of the two felt much more rewarding to the player than what GW2 has offered so far. Each quest, event, dungeon, and PvP mode feels incredibly unrewarding to the player. Dailies and monthlies give pitiful rewards for the effort put into them.

The living story is a huge joke, with equally unsatisfying rewards for the time and effort put into it by the players. It’s a huge time waste for the dev team when they have to rush and reach ridiculously short deadlines, so they can throw at us some tacky, poorly designed story for the next couple weeks to keep the locusts entertained. What’s that famous saying around here? ‘Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad.’ It took over a year to add a LFG tool, and still we are waiting for guild halls. Why? I think the LS needs to be scrapped to work on larger, and more enjoyable content, we can actually keep up with, both time and lore wise.

There is no purpose to any class or role. It’s either DPS or DPS. Going any other build only hinders your performance by failing to get through the MASSIVE amount of HP of trash mobs and bosses, before you end up getting 2 shot with 30k hp. The trinity set up/dedicated healing classes are looking good again in my eyes.

I think enough has been said about ascended gear/the ridiculous amount of grind required, and the removal and nerfing of worthwhile grind spots/and (gem store) RNG. Still our words fall on deaf ears.

All I want to see is this game to remove the feeling of ‘emptiness.’ I want to log in for a few hours a day, and when I log off, feel like something has been accomplished depending on the amount of effort put in. It’s a huge shame. I’ve enjoyed GW1 for 7 years, without a single complaint, but when I see the population of GW1 rising again steadily, I wonder why..

Still waiting for the things I love about GW1.

(edited by Turgut.4397)

Posted by: Vanthian.9267

Vanthian.9267

- Combat is kittening boring : just go full Zerk and spam dodge rolls, autoattack….
- Lack of skills: most of them are either useless or boring/uninspired , so are the traits.
- Lack of rewards.
- PvP: since GW2 is the successor of GW1 ( which probably had the best PVP ever made)I would have expected something way better than this boring conquest…. absolutely one the worst (if not the worst) PvPs I’ve seen in my entire life.
- DR
- RNG, RNG everywhere.
- Super casual.
- Ascended gear.

I’m sure I did not mention something, but that’s all for now..

It is quite sad your user name does not reflect on your statement.

Posted by: Immensus.9732

Immensus.9732

I hear a lot of complaining that people quit playing GW2, and from the personal experience of my previous 80-man guild, that’s true. After two months since the release I was the only one playing, and after almost a year I’m only one playing.

So my question to you is, why do you think people stop playing Guild Wars 2?

I had many discussions with my friends about issues like that and we made some really good conclusions:

-The problems are many but there are some factors that affect that the most, unfortunately as another guy said before the days were 10 million+ players used to play an mmo are gone.
- First of all because there are so many mmos out there that the population is divided
-Also the ppl of our generation are getting bored of a game much quicker than 10 years ago and thats for many reasons such as today we expect to much from a game than 10 years ago were we had only one PS2 a or a game boy color and we could play super mario for months non-stop.
-Also is fault of the companies, companies dont see games and mmos (and not only games) as something timeless at all, they see it as something consumable that will last for3-4 years and then a new one will come out and make them profits, which means their effort of making it attractive and good is not as good as it used be, see WoW for example, blizzard managed 8 years ago to create something good with proper development and marketing and there are many players that still playing it but even WoW start losing players, nsoft made gw2 1.5 year ago and now for next year already got another game coming out that they hyping about it and advertising it massively.

My only hopes for a game that will entertain me and will keep entertaining me for years to come are upon EQ Next if even that one fails then ill just stop hoping and start playing RPGs or whatever, above all they are just games that are just for our entertainment nothing more…

Mesmers Shall Rule Tyria!

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

- Combat is kittening boring : just go full Zerk and spam dodge rolls, autoattack….
- Lack of skills: most of them are either useless or boring/uninspired , so are the traits.
- Lack of rewards.
- PvP: since GW2 is the successor of GW1 ( which probably had the best PVP ever made)I would have expected something way better than this boring conquest…. absolutely one the worst (if not the worst) PvPs I’ve seen in my entire life.
- DR
- RNG, RNG everywhere.
- Super casual.
- Ascended gear.

I’m sure I did not mention something, but that’s all for now..

Combat is boring if you make it boring, don’t go zerker, get in groups that aren’t zerker, and the combat is a whole lot of fun because you can just face roll on the keyboard like you can with zerker. Zerker is beyond easy mode, and one has to choose to go easy mode. My friends, family, and myself do not use zerker, and we work as a team using our strengths to cover the weakness of each other, and rely on using a good use of the combos. The combat is actually a lot of fun as long as you do not easy mode it by going zerker.

Posted by: Bawi.9541

Bawi.9541

1-80 content is breathtakingly amazing.
‘Endgame’ is an insult.

my2cents

Ele / Guardian

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Maybe you miss a girl you once dated, but you decided to never date her again. With your argument, you would still be in a relationship. That makes no sense.

Naahh it isn’t a relationship silly. You keep her number in your second cell phone for when your current girlfriend/girlfriends are out of town, mad at you, or when you are between girlfriends.

Oh wait… I got that wrong in my case this…..

Attachments:

The Burninator

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

They stop because gw2 is too grindy or not grindy enough.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

1) Ascended gear.

2) Excessive particle effects obscuring combat encounters.

3) Emphasis on Zerg gameplay.

4) The implementation of interrupts and other soft control options.

5) Poor performance of archery options for rangers.

6) Ascended gear.

Posted by: Causic.3798

Causic.3798

I quit half a year ago to try something else. I thought a pay to play game would have much more content and be better overall so I tried FFXIV ARR ever since launch to try it out. It wasn’t what I thought it would be, the armor all looks horrible so even endgame gear looks crappy and for a Halloween event all they did was add one quest. You could even buy the event reward through an npc and not even do it. Since it was a let down i’m coming back to GW2.

Immensus.9732

1) Ascended gear.

2) Excessive particle effects obscuring combat encounters.

3) Emphasis on Zerg gameplay.

4) The implementation of interrupts and other soft control options.

5) Poor performance of archery options for rangers.

6) Ascended gear.

Yeah i think if they had introduced ascended skins instead of grindy stat oriented gear would work much better…

Posted by: Peow peow.2189

Peow peow.2189

because of stupid balance patches.

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

Too long a thread to read at this time, but why not consider people “leaving” for real-life concerns rather than listing all the things you don’t like about the game? Surely not all people “leave” because the game is bad, and I know that I don’t at as much because there’s plenty going on in my life.

So no complaints from me, and it is OK for people to get bored/lrave/be busy without it being the game’s inherent fault.

Ascended is not enough reason for me to leave etc. Not even the elitist crowd (won’t let them hijack my enjoyment of the game-I play as I wish, and avoid their groups.) What is “enough” is not having enough time to play, which happens to us all.

Granted, some complaints are valid to the person stating them. What I mean to say is that we need not bash the game for “losing interest” or not playing it as much, especially if we are busy or just playing something else (the game doesn’t become “bad” just because we cannot play all the time.)

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

To be honest, often the reason is just that people got bored of the game. I’m playing a lot less these days too, because I’ve done all the content, got a Legendary, got my Ascended stuff, there’s not much left to do in the game.

Its a good game but like all games out there, people get bored of it eventually.

Posted by: Curby.4897

Curby.4897

I think people stop playing GW2 because of the lack of respect to the players… they boasted about having such an interactive game and blah blah blah. Once again like everyone else they sell out and start pumping out more pay content then fixing their broken in game vanilla content… no I don’t mean that tree has a leaf missing. I mean Charr armor being lazily done to meet a deadline. Asuran toes and ears bugging out of most armor.. more toes then ears. Everything is designed to cater to one race.. human/humanoid.

People don’t like being lied to. When I saw the post about “Constructive feedback” it made me laugh because people did do that at the start.. when Anet decided ignoring people and just posting stupid comments on stupid threads was a good idea the people started getting angry.

The people started spamming and I will agree it got out of control. But when you are the ones causing it all you have no one to blame but yourselves… It is a shame to see such a nice company go down to greed/not reading the fine print on contracts when it says they can sell you off to anyone they want for a quick cash grab.

Go down as in go down the darkside instead of going with what made them great which was having a one time pay game and a simple but interesting cash shop. To dedicating EVERYTHING to catering to one specific thing in the game and trying to be their best friend.

Don’t try to puff your chest if you aren’t willing to back it up.

Prove me wrong Anet.

Rant/ toughlove over.

Posted by: Mojo.7986

Mojo.7986

I stopped for 3 months about a year ago. I had a horrible time with the initial karka release waiting for events that never spawned. Logged out to play another game and didn’t pick it up again until April of this year.

I’m about ready to take a break again. I have 7 level 80’s and have come to the uneasy realization that after crafting ascended weapons for my Guardian, I have no intention of going through the kitten dung for my others. So I started just playing my Guardian since it is the one that feels like a hero, being decked out. Getting bored with it but I know I’ll never gear they others so I don’t play them anymore. So this time it’ll just be I am tired of my one build guardian due to the expense of ascended trinkets and weapons. I’m not unequipping all that hard work.

The crafting isn’t so bad on it’s own, it is just getting back to the point you can switch gear and builds and gear alts is a sisyphean task at best. They’ll probably add another tier before I’m done. Basically I feel they punished my play style. I guess most people don’t play alts regularly, they had to know they were killing them. No one likes to play a game running around feeling like less than a hero.

I’m not angry, mmo’s change all the time, it just changed for the worst for me and it wasn’t something I expected them to do after GW1.

Posted by: Treborlavok.3504

Treborlavok.3504

update notes for dec 10th patch shines light on the problem…

Introduce ascended weapons…celestial gear… laurel and other time gated items… have people make a build and spend all their time attaining said items… implement a patch and totally destroy everyones current builds and make all the time they spent getting said gear now useless and pointless…

Sylvari Engi- Wait! Don’t leaf!
Asura Ele- Sir Im afraid youre short. Why is it always short jokes. No, youre short on the bill.

Posted by: Relentliss.2170

Relentliss.2170

The number one reason is the shallowness of the combat. The combat in these games tells a story. Its a story you write every time you log in. The combat in this game is on par with See Spot Run. The pve in this game is just so shallow that its not much fun to do nor do you feel any accomplishment in doing it.

Otherwise, the game runs ok, it is lovely, the pvp is not too bad and there is no sub.

Sadly, the pve is not worth doing.

We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional

Anet lied (where’s the Manifesto now?)

Immensus.9732

update notes for dec 10th patch shines light on the problem…

Introduce ascended weapons…celestial gear… laurel and other time gated items… have people make a build and spend all their time attaining said items… implement a patch and totally destroy everyones current builds and make all the time they spent getting said gear now useless and pointless…

Is not useless at all is just content for hard-core players and not for casuals that gw2 attracts the most currently

Posted by: Firewill.5309

Firewill.5309

because this game have no asia server

Posted by: BadHabitZz.1856

BadHabitZz.1856

Only beacuse someone reads forums once in awhile doesnt means he still plays it. I did not played GW2 for 5+ months atleast but i read forums almost every week its a good read for my morning coffee when its mainanance in tera. But just the way this games is heading makes me 100% sure i wont come back to this “MMO” just seems like end game in GW2 is running in big bloob, some jumping kittens and LS all very bad stuffs im my eyes and lets be real…..its never going to change if you dont like what GW2 did in last half of the year i honestly dont think you will ever like GW2….

(edited by BadHabitZz.1856)

Posted by: shimmerless.4560

shimmerless.4560

GW2 has very deep-seated issues that are a natural consequence of many different game mechanics and design decisions made (intentionally or not) during development. I will always give this game credit for having wild ambition (and for being the wonderful Mesmer’s second outing) but it is frankly impossible to ignore GW2’s gaping flaws.

Damage output across the board is much too high (probably as a consequence of ANet refusing to split PvE/PvP). This and a lack of cast bars on otherwise poorly-telegraphed attacks also leads to tremendous amounts of block and evade uptime to keep the TTK ratio from becoming completely obscene. Since every class has to have a bit of A and a touch of B, conditions like burning are completely trivialized and end up becoming this constant source of blind pressure damage like so many other passive factors.

Skills have little situational use, and thanks to the lack of a mana system there’s often a low (to non-existent in the case of “condition” builds) opportunity cost, meaning many are just chained off cooldown. For the Mes we really lost the ability to control and set up spikes as well as dominate the direction of a team engagement, in exchange for gimmicks like stealth which don’t carry to competitive-level play. The lowered skill ceiling hurts the natural drive players have to better themselves at their class.

What it boils down to, though, is that because of the way a lot of things interplay in this game — because of the existence of certain equipment and specs — there’s really little difference in effectiveness between an average player and a skilled one. I confess that myself and many friends have had trouble guessing whether a particularly effective decision was made by a player intentionally or just through sheer dumb luck. In my view events in this game tend to be due to the latter more often than not.

Specs are so simple to play and so strong right out of the box that someone new to said spec can toy around for a couple hours and achieve comparable results to someone who’s been playing the same class for six months. This cold truth effectively natches competition and quells any desire to log in for practice, and so players eventually just don’t log in.

Posted by: Wayfinder.8452

Wayfinder.8452

It’s like going to Disneyland.

You come here, you see things, you have fun, then you bring some fun memories back home.
Maybe a year later you might come back ’cause of nostalgia or just to check out that haunted house you missed last time or this new roller coaster.

However there is a new roller coaster every 2 weeks and in the end most people are just fed up with them, so they go somewhere else.

Me? I guess I like trains.

The man who can wield the power of this sword can summon to him an army
more deadly than any that walks this earth. Put aside the Ranger.
Become who you were born to be. I give hope to men. I keep none for myself.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

big bloob

An aside, if I may:

That would be an epic open world champ! A rrreeaaally big ooze that divides into more oozes when attacked, with each division getting bigger and bigger every time it defeats a player character or NPC. Swords, axes, arrows, maces, daggers – no good! Fire, poison, bleeding – ineffective! It is vulnerable only to cold…

Beware the Big Bloob!

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Goose.9317

Goose.9317

6 pages of replies later, it can all be summed up as…

There is nothing to do, the game is stagnated.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Earlier, I said I have stopped playing.

As of last night, I am slowly getting back into it. I need to take a more casual approach to the game and not let all of the ascended BS, and all of the Living Story grind and achievement grind get me down. It tends to feel like a job.

I log in last night, my guild was disbanded, and the group of friends that I used to play with hasnt logged in since august. Now I must find new friends!

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

TooBz.3065

I was thinking about it this morning. It think removing the peg leg from WvW was a major reason my friends quit. (It’s trolly but points out the ridiculous crazyiness that use to be in the game and has been removed in favor of zerging)

Posted by: HeliaXDemoN.1208

HeliaXDemoN.1208

Same thing here, all my Guild stopped to play, the leader of the guild get his money back some time the beta ended and only 1 friend of other server go online.

For me the reasons are clear:
- Lake of character evolution, you get level 60 and everything get boring;
- Lake of character customization with very limited builds;
- No real content added, all the time spent on 1 month content could be spent to remaking the WvW maps, added more type of weapons, more skills and better traits;
- Bugs everywhere;
- To much time to add a new dungeon;
- Near of 1 year to add rewards to WvW, where I spent like 3 months playing and I did’t get 3 gold playing all this time;
- Party system is a kitten, the only thing this serves is for locate your friend;
- Dungeons are pure exploit;
- People farming dungeon all day long in the past and 6 months+ to fix;

I know 2 guys that play the game, 1 started last month and the other did like 3 legendary weapons and play games all day long(he farmed dungeon like I hell)

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

the reason I will leave is that I don’t see this game going anywhere

-they aren’t expanding the game
-every content is temp or just a remake of an old one.
-our character personaility in the story is too goody moody ( Junk ) and kills immersion.

bicous of this the game got boring as hell.
wasting time and even money on an MMO that is not growing expanding and stays the same forever is pointless when I know if I play some other one they expand the game and there is always something to do see defeat collect explore enjoy almost every few month and that content usualy not takes only 15 min to do and see everything.

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

GW2 has very deep-seated issues that are a natural consequence of many different game mechanics and design decisions made (intentionally or not) during development. I will always give this game credit for having wild ambition (and for being the wonderful Mesmer’s second outing) but it is frankly impossible to ignore GW2’s gaping flaws.

Damage output across the board is much too high (probably as a consequence of ANet refusing to split PvE/PvP). This and a lack of cast bars on otherwise poorly-telegraphed attacks also leads to tremendous amounts of block and evade uptime to keep the TTK ratio from becoming completely obscene. Since every class has to have a bit of A and a touch of B, conditions like burning are completely trivialized and end up becoming this constant source of blind pressure damage like so many other passive factors.

Skills have little situational use, and thanks to the lack of a mana system there’s often a low (to non-existent in the case of “condition” builds) opportunity cost, meaning many are just chained off cooldown. For the Mes we really lost the ability to control and set up spikes as well as dominate the direction of a team engagement, in exchange for gimmicks like stealth which don’t carry to competitive-level play. The lowered skill ceiling hurts the natural drive players have to better themselves at their class.

What it boils down to, though, is that because of the way a lot of things interplay in this game — because of the existence of certain equipment and specs — there’s really little difference in effectiveness between an average player and a skilled one. I confess that myself and many friends have had trouble guessing whether a particularly effective decision was made by a player intentionally or just through sheer dumb luck. In my view events in this game tend to be due to the latter more often than not.

Specs are so simple to play and so strong right out of the box that someone new to said spec can toy around for a couple hours and achieve comparable results to someone who’s been playing the same class for six months. This cold truth effectively natches competition and quells any desire to log in for practice, and so players eventually just don’t log in.

^
This is a very good critical review. I don’t agree with it all 100% but I found myself nodding my head at every paragraph. Thanks for this.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

Posted by: Basharic.1654

Basharic.1654

So . . . because someone can pick up a toon, learn it quickly, and be reasonably effective the game is bad? I’d call that a strength. To me it encourages practice, because the only way you can truly win is to play that “easy” spec better than the other person.

Players who spam their skills on CD are bad, they have always been bad, and they will always be bad. Sure they can still be sort of effective doing that in the open world, but don’t confuse how blindingly easy the open world generally is with anything that requires skill. Cast bars are for the lazy who can’t watch their screens.

And maybe it’s because you aren’t playing (not sure, you didn’t say in the post I quoted) but I see terrible/inexperienced players all the time, they are the guys you have to pick up 6 times in a big event or are laying there dead 20 seconds into the fight. Or the first ones dead in a WvW zerg fight. Or the ones calling for help to do regular events or skill points.

I don’t consider myself an expert player, there are plenty of folks better than I am, and I still managed, just yesterday, to basically solo the priest at Grenth to about 30 percent before I screwed it up. I don’t think the two other folks who showed up for the event ever touched him; they died before he was to 80/85 percent, and lay there dead until he finally beat me.

I’m not saying those folks were necessarily bad, it’s very easy make a mistake in that fight, but try and tell me with a straight face that one or two more players at my ability/experience level or better at that moment wouldn’t have made a difference.

Posted by: Dragonax.6487

Dragonax.6487

There are many reasons but for me, there are some of the outstanding ones I’d like to address:
-Not many thing to do at 80: Dungeon ? They only worth running once and the rest is for gear, I doubt many people find them entertaining. WvW ? This game promote heavy Zerg WvW play which scare away people who don’t have a monster computer and who are not in a huge pop servers. World bosses ? Again it’s mostly about boring Zerg ( Tequati is a positive change). Legendary ? Not many people enjoy heavy grinding and frustrating gambling for a piece of cosmetic skin. Anything else to do at 80 ?

-Lack of new quality big content: Living world is fun but too casual and generally short and boring (I stopped giving kitten about them after 2 months of playing ). SouthSun is a failure due to its simplicity and difficulty along with the incredible lack of reward, Fractal is a success but it’s probably the only thing worth noticing over a year.

-Failed PvP: This game completely separate PvP from regular gameplay, which is a bad idea in my opinion. It doesnt matter how kitten you are in Tyria, you ain’t kitten in Heart of the Mist if you don’t spend a lot of time on it and so is the other way . This system could be great if the game had fantastic and balanced combat system but unfortunately it’s just a joke now.

Posted by: jayvux.4128

jayvux.4128

I believe majority of the players that have come to a halt with playing gw2 are the midcore players and above.
To put it VERY simply; the game is designed to cater to casuals.

Not much progression in the game, thus the lack of much emotional attachment to your toon (at least for myself). The rewards mostly if not all revolve around charismatic purposes :P. Stats are very restrictive due to its auto-assigning nature. Not much variations between players in many aspects such as stats, gears, weapons, skins, etc. Not much to show off in the game really esp when everything is scaled and not much of any invisible barriers in the game regardless of levels; as anet said, the whole game is endgame already; everyone is too similar/equal. Not much individualism, most contents are based around zerging (eg. living story releases such as MK Lab, Scarlet Invasions, WvW, etc). The grinds are boring, kill 1000, eat 1000, revive 1000, etc; their payoffs are just a dinky amount of achievement points which after a long time grinding for them rewards you with a skin and other not very significant/impactful items. Lack of feeling like a hero, esp since the story doesn’t play an important role in the game; NPCs seem more heroic in my eyes than my toon(s), I feel as if I am just a mercenary aiding the heroic NPCs. This is all just according to my preferences.

TLDR: Nothing in the game is very significant or impactful in terms of character growth/strength aka no vertical progression? (besides fotm). It’s really just Skin Wars in my eyes without looking too deep and technical about the game.

P.S I am still a loyal fan and player of GW2, because I believe in Anet, they have one of the best work ethics I have ever seen in a gaming company with great moral values. And I am also spoiled by the fluidity of the combat although dull to me, but that is a topic for another day.

GM of Leaders [LEAD]
Server: Darkhaven (fb.com/groups/guildwars2darkhaven)
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheJayvux

(edited by jayvux.4128)

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

Do people actually find grinding out ascended gear fun? The 100s of gold spent PER profession, the time gating, the champ/event trains for ascended mats, the tons of lower tier mats required…THIS is fun? THIS actually makes people happy and want to keep playing the game?