Why do people stop playing GW2?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Simon.3106

Simon.3106

Like my good old business teacher once told me : “The first step to failure is trying to please everyone… You can’t. Do what you know you can do and what you are good at, and stick to it. At least you know you can please that side better than the other side.”

I enjoyed GW2. In fact, I got the most hours out of it just for $60 – discount. =) $40. It has been some time since I left. I did PvE. Explored almost the whole map but stopped… the HEART are annoying to REDO for all my characters… rather have QUESTS that are related to the MAIN STORY LINE.

Did PvP for awhile. Was very good at it and a lot of people added me because I “Role-PLayed” and acted as a ignorant, annoying last boss. =) I call them my fans.

WvW was fun. Owned a small fortress within the enemy borderline and protected it to the death. Map chat to all my alliances in WvW, welcoming them into the Refugee Fortress. =)

Living stories? Only done Molten Alliance… my only favorite.

The thing about GW2 is… in the Main Story Line, I am not the hero. I am just some mercenary helping the hero. Which is nice, but the story isn’t focused around my character. In GW1 (yes, I know it’s a different game. But I’m talking about the MAIN STORY PROGRESSION), I was some guy from Ascalon trying to prove himself. Charr invasion and destroyed the wall, people suffered, Prince Rurik took his followers up into the mountains and moving toward Kryta, sad tragic occurred, I led the rest of the people to Kryta, got involved with some bad people in shiny armors, found out I was doing bad things, took a boat to a boring desert… etc. It’s a STORY. It’s a powerful, fun to repeat, story. =) So besides Living Story, which I did not do, I did not do the Main Story either… since it is NOT required to do in order to explore the world.

Good game, money worth every bit. Never understood why people hated/ got bored of the game until it happened to me. Not saying that it is a bad game. It was worth every buck I put in it =) But it isn’t something I’d ever come back to. I told myself until there is a massive change, more skills that were promised, MORE LANDS TO EXPLORE like the crystal desert, I’ll come back and my adventure shall continue!! FOR GREAT JUSTICE!!!

PS) I do not do any grinding whatsoever as well.. Legendary/ascended armors are NOT worth my time… -_- It is nice to have powerful weapon, but a true Ranger does not require a legendary weapon to be a Legendary Ranger… he already is at Heart. -_-\/

~Way of the Ranger~
Legendary Ranger, Simon

(edited by Simon.3106)

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Do people actually find grinding out ascended gear fun? The 100s of gold spent PER profession, the time gating, the champ/event trains for ascended mats, the tons of lower tier mats required…THIS is fun? THIS actually makes people happy and want to keep playing the game?

I know its really weird…

Honestly a choice between doing that and overtime at work, I would choose the overtime…that’s how rubbish and unfun it is!

Posted by: Decrypter.1785

Decrypter.1785

Well the game is still new , also i think Gamers in General are spoilt brats lol , myself included . i still play and hope gvg will be implemented :P eventually

[WM]give us in game ladder

Posted by: jayvux.4128

jayvux.4128

Do people actually find grinding out ascended gear fun? The 100s of gold spent PER profession, the time gating, the champ/event trains for ascended mats, the tons of lower tier mats required…THIS is fun? THIS actually makes people happy and want to keep playing the game?

I know its really weird…

Honestly a choice between doing that and overtime at work, I would choose the overtime…that’s how rubbish and unfun it is!

Precisely :P

GM of Leaders [LEAD]
Server: Darkhaven (fb.com/groups/guildwars2darkhaven)
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheJayvux

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

No, it isnt fun. But that is why this time around, Im going to just acquire ascended gear if I can when I can. Im going to try to simply enjoy the game, rather than creating things to do for myself.

If that is at all possible.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Some people realize that Ascended gear is not something that is needed “right now”, so they’ll do everything needed for the ascended while they play the game and eventually get the ascended. Those who feel they “need it right now” are the ones that grind for it, the other who realize it isn’t needed for anything will earn just playing the game they enjoy.

Posted by: Basharic.1654

Basharic.1654

I have a legendary and three ascended weapons from two professions. The only time it felt like a grind was towards the end of the legendary. But that was my choice to do it that way, I could have waited another month, and had no grind at all. I knocked out Bolt in 6 months.

I just play the game, and occasionally focus on a specific aspect to top some particular mat off. I’m currently happy with my weapon loadout at the moment so I’m probably just gonna let the mats build back up naturally.

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

Cause Anet doesn’t realize thet nerfing BUILDS, nerfs fun a lot of times, and nerfs pve experience.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

Posted by: Drakenvold.9761

Drakenvold.9761

i didnt stop but lately i find less reasons to log in,we need more personal story content,or side missions even the traditional ones via LS,i wanna see progression,i wanna hear from my choices made back a while,see the pact,missios for my order,go back home and help out..fell that im progressing story wise,not lvl wise i mean,we saved the world and then went on a festival spree and random crisis that relte to a crazy cardboard villan sylvari…

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

No, it isnt fun. But that is why this time around, Im going to just acquire ascended gear if I can when I can. Im going to try to simply enjoy the game, rather than creating things to do for myself.

All this grinding really is a result of playing the game in a way it was never designed to be played. You were supposed to just get Ascended weapons when you do, it was never needed for anything in the game (not gonna go into that discussion again), it was just there as a way to reward doing certain content in the game and to make you feel like you’re progressing.

It’s like getting a new PS2 game as a kid, you don’t need it but it’s nice to have it and play it.

jayvux.4128

i didnt stop but lately i find less reasons to log in,we need more personal story content,or side missions even the traditional ones via LS,i wanna see progression,i wanna hear from my choices made back a while,see the pact,missios for my order,go back home and help out..fell that im progressing story wise,not lvl wise i mean,we saved the world and then went on a festival spree and random crisis that relte to a crazy cardboard villan sylvari…

I agree with everything said here. I would also like to start feeling more heroic than the NPCs, I feel as if I am nothing more than a sidekick/mercenary at the moment; can’t do this without you arenanet

GM of Leaders [LEAD]

jayvux.4128

All this grinding really is a result of playing the game in a way it was never designed to be played. You were supposed to just get Ascended weapons when you do, it was never needed for anything in the game (not gonna go into that discussion again), it was just there as a way to reward doing certain content in the game and to make you feel like you’re progressing.

It’s like getting a new PS2 game as a kid, you don’t need it but it’s nice to have it and play it.

Sad fact for us midcore/hardcore gamers

GM of Leaders [LEAD]

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

If you don’t want to be at a disadvantage in WvW or a burden in PvE, then yes, you do need it.

Xae Isareth.1364

If you don’t want to be at a disadvantage in WvW or a burden in PvE, then yes, you do need it.

There’s nothing that needs Ascended stuff in PvE and it actually makes very little difference in if your party beats the content or not. No matter how much you ‘Ascend’ yourself, you’re still dead weight in Arah if you can’t dodge.

WvW is so chaotic that having ascended weapons makes very little difference. When was the last time you had a ‘fair’ fight? It’s always one side having more players or getting ambushed by a thief. Or if you’re in a server like UW, your Ascended weapons will look real pretty on the bottom of the silver league barrel.

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

There’s nothing that needs Ascended stuff in PvE and it actually makes very little difference in if your party beats the content or not. No matter how much you ‘Ascend’ yourself, you’re still dead weight in Arah if you can’t dodge.

WvW is so chaotic that having ascended weapons makes very little difference. When was the last time you had a ‘fair’ fight? It’s always one side having more players or getting ambushed by a thief. Or if you’re in a server like UW, your Ascended weapons will look real pretty on the bottom of the silver league barrel.

Honestly, this morning. I fought a thief and a warrior (sequentially) and won. I fought an engineer and lost. It was when I was capping the last ruins I needed for season 1.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Xae Isareth.1364

Honestly, this morning. I fought a thief and a warrior (sequentially) and won. I fought an engineer and lost. It was when I was capping the last ruins I needed for season 1.

Personally, I can count the number of times I’ve had a fair fight on one hand. I’ve only played WvW for about I’d say 30 hours but I think thats enough to justify my observations.

And by fair fight I mean you both know you’re there and there’s exactly the same number of people in each side, whilst the team sizes are below 5. The first hit often decides half the battle.

(edited by Xae Isareth.1364)

Dark Catalyst.1028

If it makes very little difference then why bother? Are people doing it for the ugly skins?

TooBz.3065

Personally, I can count the number of times I’ve had a fair fight on one hand. I’ve only played WvW for about I’d say 30 hours but I think thats enough to justify my observations.

And by fair fight I mean you both know you’re there and there’s exactly the same number of people in each side, whilst the team sizes are below 5. The first hit often decides half the battle.

Oh, then twice this morning. I got jumped by the engineer while looking at my hero panel (my own fault, you should only do that in a safe place.)

However, I was being pedantic. I don’t think I’ve had a fair fight in the last year before that.

TooBz.3065

If it makes very little difference then why bother? Are people doing it for the ugly skins?

It does matter. People say it doesn’t. People say WvW is not suppose to be fair. People say numbers is an overwhelming factor in determining the outcome.

In my experience everything matters. Numbers can be so overwhelming that you will never win but you can beat a numerically superior force. Numbers, morale, momentum, organization, and gear all matter.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The hater of vertical progression killed this game. Those babies never played an MMO.

I hope other designers learned the lesson. Vertical progession is NEEDED to keep a mmo alive.

Since VP was added to the game, I’ll guess it was not “enough” to satisfy this poster and those like him. It’s ironic that players are leaving because of lack of VP while other players are simultaneously leaving because of the addition of VP. This is what happens when developers go for compromise solutions that cater to everyone — they end up displeasing players on both sides of the issue.

It is not just about throwing in VP into a game, but also the depth and contents of it (is it engaging, fun, challenging and worth the payout?). I love VP, but the way it is introduced in gw2 is bleh :/. For example, just because players want more variety of armors in terms of charisma, it doesn’t mean you throw them a bunch of half- kitten d designed ones; people want quality.

Exactly. The implementation of Ascended displeased the demographic who didn’t want VP, and the demographic that wanted the whole package used by other games. The only group pleased was the group that just wanted a carrot to chase. That’s what happens with compromise.

Posted by: Siriuspsyche.7519

Siriuspsyche.7519

I think this is an interesting post. It’s obvious that what is appealing to some is a deal breaker for others. I am constantly reading ideas and complaints on these forums that make me think, “I’m sure glad that THEY aren’t making games.”

GW2 is simply a different type of MMO, which is why I came here in the first place. Others actually want more of the same just in a different skin. So many people started with WoW and have since gotten tired of it. They complain all day long about what they hate about WoW, but when a game does something different they complain even louder. I’ve seen it over and over again in many different MMO’s which have launched since WoW came out.

I’ve been playing MMO’s since 1999 and I HATE the typical MMO tropes that have developed. I had no interest in GW2 initially. On an off chance I watched some youtube preview vids and became excited over what I saw. I don’t know what other people saw in them that they feel is lacking in the live game, but I have been more than happy with gw2 since launch. What I love most about GW2 over other options out there is what they do differently than those other MMO’s. It seems to me that most people that come here to complain about GW2 are wanting some mechanic to match something else that’s already out there. I prefer the difference. There is no other game out there that matches the mechanics, style, environment and truly cooperative experience of GW2. There are tons that match the typical MMO tropes that so many seem to watch to jam into GW2.

I would like to add my voice to the chorus that is singing ANET’s praises on what they have and are accomplishing here. This is the best MMO I have ever played in 15 years of playing more online games than you can shake a stick at. And in my opinion it is the best because it is NOT WoW, EQ, DAoC, AO, E&B, DCO, AoC, TR, V:SoH, SWG, LOTRO, FFXI, CoX, SWTOR, or Rift, which is what it seems so many detractors what it to be.

(edited by Siriuspsyche.7519)

Posted by: Slowburn.5319

Slowburn.5319

Too geared toward casuals. Story/stories are utterly boring.

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

I have not quit nor do I plan to anytime soon, however I do know some people that have and I am going to put in their reasons which they have conveyed upon their leaving of GW2.

1. Imbalanced population / coverage gaps in wvw making the matches pointless and often pre-determined. Skill / group (guilds) become irrelevant.

2. Imbalanced and boring PvE. Content designed for nothing but zerker builds gets stale and boring. Content needs better AI, condition, control and support builds need to be viable.

3. Some people have left due to ascended gear progression, which does not bother me because of the very shallow nature of it.

4. Some other people have left the game due to lack of meaningful (stat) progression, in contrast to the ones above, it is too little and too slow for them.

5. Flawed game reward system which rewards time rather then effort / skill. Rewards do not properly scale with content difficulty (for example fractal 28 vs fractal 38 vs fractal 55 or farming for legendaries rather then performing “legendary” tasks).

In large part I agree with their reasons for leaving, but I am not as affected by them since I enjoy most of the game except SPVP.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

Posted by: SandRaker.7594

SandRaker.7594

Before I say why I stopped (I count as people too!), I’ll say why I got it:
- I’ve had GW1 since 2005. I consider it one of the best MMO’s I’ve played. It’s got a special place for me.
- While following GW2s development, it looked like it had a lot of promise. A lot of good, interesting ideas. It looked fun!
- ArenaNet was showing signs of being a good developer, one you can trust.

I played through the beta, and pre-ordered it because so far, it looked good and I wanted to support ArenaNet. Then I played it for a month or two post-release, felt extremely tired of it. Took a half-year break. Played it, got a war to 80. Did sPvP. Did some more area completion, daily achieves…even did the living world thing with the Canthan airship. That was cool. And the Super Box.

But I played less and less – eventually I just stopped, and here’s why:

- The combat’s dumbed down with no proper resource management, just spam your skills all day long. And all the intricacies just kind of go whoosh out of the window the moment you realize you’re better off running a faceroll DPS build and bi-winning the game. Even Dark Souls with its left/right click combat is far deeper due to the nuances in individual items/character building, as well as stuff like active blocking/parrying/backstabbing/dodging.

And I can legitimately bring up DaS’ system here because they are similar in a few key aspects, such as visual cue based combat – active dodging/movement/positioning – “hack-and-slasher” derived attacks (DaS with clicking, GW2 with spammy hotkeys). OH, ALSO. DaS doesn’t fill the screen with particle maelstroms! Holy kitten. GW2 is like a laser light show, except cranked up to 200 and right in my face.

- The build system in PvE/WvW is highly inconvenient. No templates? Why? And having to rush back to an NPC to switch out my traits is clunky. The lack of build flexibility in terms of skills makes me sad. GW1 buildcrafting was a ton more fun than what we have now.

- ANet touted “a sense of permanence” with traits – I see none of that. And this isn’t Baldur’s Gate or KOTOR. This is an MMO, with a very weak, weak story, which is extremely cringe-worthy in the later half of the game and makes me question why ANet even mentioned it during development. My character doesn’t even really feel like my character in a large portion of the story. It feels like it’s been possessed by a Stupidity Demon.

- The story. Ohh the story. The Living World can go tumble off a cliff into a pit full of Mindblade Spectres. I’m not going to spend more time on this, because outside of some lore tidbits that are genuinely cool, it’s very weak and contrived.

- The “open world” nature. At first I thought this could be cool, you know? A sense of adventure and size – you pack up your stuff at the Black Citadel and off you go, marching across the lands, meeting strangers and doing events with them! Hell, you can even find hamlets to craft food and armor/weapons at to equip yourself as you level up!

Until I played the game and found that the most profitable events are zerg fests and the least profitable ones are empty. But that’s more my own naivete, right? Which is why I miss the highly instanced nature of GW1. Do you realize just how much cooler ANet could’ve made zones, mobs and bosses with this new technology/engine, had they made zones smaller and allowed only like teams of 5 into them? We could’ve even, maybe, just maybe, gotten boss fights like the ones in Shadow of the Colossus. Man…I’m going to daydream for a bit.

…Oh, right. Where did the modular nature of armor go? GW1 had a great system: insignias and runes define your armor function/stat effect, whereas the armor piece itself just had a defense value. That would mean I’d be at greater liberty to tart my character up and really add my own taste to its appearance, because I was not as badly limited by transmutation stones and armor grind.

Anyway – even with heavy instancing we get back to the issue of “no one plays together” because some zones will be abandoned (inevitably). But GW1 wound up with heroes – who I miss now, since unless I’m in a guild, playing gets extremely lonely. And I can’t just summon people on my friends list either. Speaking of which…

- Transferring and guesting. I may be out of date, but can we still not guest to servers in a different continent? We could switch between U.S/European servers at will in GW1. Anyway; transferring costs as much as a brand new game. I can get wanting to deter constant population switching, but what, 40 Euros? Isn’t that overkill?

- I arrived at the conclusion that ANet is just out of touch with the game. Going through the forums, lurking and looking at posts; trying to filter out both the apologists and the extreme whiners, makes me feel like either the staff just gave up or got tired of working on this game, or they’ve got a Roomba doing all their work by riding around on keyboards.

Xae Isareth.1364

Its the same as say, getting a 3DS. You don’t need it and in fact, it makes very little difference to your life but its a new toy to play around with.

Also, ‘ugly’ is very subjective. Personally I think the shield and GS look amazing, whilst all the new gemstore armors makes me want to puke.

Posted by: Enokitake.1742

Enokitake.1742

Before I say why I stopped (I count as people too!), I’ll say why I got it:
- I’ve had GW1 since 2005. I consider it one of the best MMO’s I’ve played. It’s got a special place for me.
- While following GW2s development, it looked like it had a lot of promise. A lot of good, interesting ideas. It looked fun!
- ArenaNet was showing signs of being a good developer, one you can trust.

I’m coming from this angle too. Started in 2005 or early 2006, factions had just came out, I started there. Got nightfall after, got prophecies after that, then EOTN.

GW2 is severely lacking in comparison, I could almost say kind of sucks mostly because of a lack of lateral content…

- Experimentation is severely limited. I could make one character in GW1 and never run out of things to try. Swap secondary profession, have 100-200 new skills to test on the same character. I could run 8 utility skills, 8 DPS skills, 8 healing skills, 8 protection/mitigation skills, or most importantly: ANY COMBINATION in between. Yes, if my group wanted holy trinity, we could roll that way. But we never had to, because there were so many different ways to kill or survive things, thanks to over 1000 skills accessible simply by changing secondary class. Or by switching to your other L20 and having your class role change while still having access to over 1,000 skills.

As much overpowered bull kitten I could come up with, there was someone on the other side of the world coming up with overpowered bull kitten that could steamroll me in group vs group pvp.

I wasn’t forced to use this skill with this weapon, or that skill with that weapon. Hell, I can’t even variate which skills I can use on the weapon. It’d be better if I could change the weapon skills with a secondary or third set of skills like I could with utility skills or elites but i can’t.

All this means you get bored super quickly. GW1 PVP was meta build focused, yes, but it was at least far more variable in its meta-builds than gw2 is. Besides, in GW2…

- Almost everything in this game can be done with a zerg. WvW is straight zerg. Spvp (8v8) anyway, has too many people in too small a space.

Alliance battles had 12v12, but actively discouraged zerging even while being conquest cause you had to stay with your group of 4 to keep from getting steam rolled. If 8-12 people rolled as one you wouldn’t have enough points capped to actually win unless the other team kittening sucked. AND it had actual open world affects on questing/PVE play.

World PvE is massive zerg: Champion training, tequital (w/e the spelling is), jormag, are all mostly zerg. Granted, sometimes it requires a coordinated zerg, but still zerg. Only dungeons have some skill challenges, and most of them are kittening easy mode: max dps, proceed to speed clear lol on everything. GW1 was fun cause once we switched on hardmode there was an actual skill challenge, even if it was only slightly in some areas (and it was super maximum in others or in dungeons, like urgoz/deeps/fow/domain of anguish/underworld).

- PVE is way too simple. I miss the GW1 mobs that used their skills, which were the same ones as the player, intelligently. Self-protting, semi-intelligently healed, Debuffed, hexway’d, conditioned, and DPS’d you. Hell they’d even resurrect each other. What the kitten happened to that?

- PVP is constant conquest mode rotation, which gets utterly boring and limits builds to a central objective. Spvp is almost purely this mode. In fact, WvW is merely conquest mode with massive zerging. If you want conquest mode e-sport, ok, go ahead and make that, but give the people who DON’T want that something else to do, like they had in GW1.

Make maps that are not conquest. Straight death match, kill the NPC, Capture the flag. Not one or two like now, but 5 to 6 of each. Let people who want pure conquest check that off when making their Arenas. Let people who don’t get a randomized rotation they can’t simply bunker-hold their way through.

Bring back a fort aspenwood or jade quarry arena. Capture the point, BUT also defend the npc acquiring minerals from that point, first to 10 wins.

Bring back hall of heroes/heroes ascent, even if it is pay for ticket to play. The worldwide constant PVP competition was highly beneficial for the game.

- Living story. Living story is great and all, but I still wish you’d put that energy towards class/skill content expansions, PVP content expansions, and Cantha/Elona.

(edited by Enokitake.1742)

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

Too geared toward casuals. Story/stories are utterly boring.

Are you better than casuals, are they inherently bad players, and don’t they deserve to play? Or should the game be catered only towards the so-called hardcore?

In fact, many of the complaints in this game are that by trying to cater to all types of players (not just casuals-especially considering Ascended gear) none have been that much pleased. The hardcore need more “hardcoreness”, and the casuals-some of which are actually hardcore in many regards save that they may not have that much time to play-were rather displeased with the advent of Ascended items.

(IMHO, ascended doesn’t really matter in this game, so one should not lose too much sleep over it. It is not realistic to have 8 alts with fully ascended gear for many builds. Exotic-and often way less, really-will work just fine. If one let Ascended happen rather than grind for it, the game will probably be most enjoyable, especially if you play a lot on more than one character. Not wrong to grind for it, but utterly unnecessary, therefore it is not a valid complaint for 100% of players.)

Posted by: Adry.7512

Adry.7512

no fun permanent content.
no pvp development.
no interesting story development besides your own character.
no instances….just poorly-made dungeons that get boring after a few runs.
very simple non-competitive pvp.
too many ideas with zero imagination and zero organization.
no artistic value.

honestly, the list goes on and on, so ima leave it at that.

Posted by: shimmerless.4560

shimmerless.4560

So . . . because someone can pick up a toon, learn it quickly, and be reasonably effective the game is bad? I’d call that a strength. To me it encourages practice, because the only way you can truly win is to play that “easy” spec better than the other person.

Players who spam their skills on CD are bad, they have always been bad, and they will always be bad. Sure they can still be sort of effective doing that in the open world, but don’t confuse how blindingly easy the open world generally is with anything that requires skill. Cast bars are for the lazy who can’t watch their screens.

You’re confusing skill floor with skill ceiling. A low skill floor means a player can pick up a class and dominate fast, even if they play rather poorly. This isn’t per se a bad thing, though in GW2 the floor is so low it’s causing problems with enticing players to try anything more challenging when there’s little reason to. What is most definitely deleterious to competitive play is a low skill ceiling, which means players never get to see a vast range of play because practice and high player skill seldom returns rewards in this game. There’s no purpose in learning a twitch-based burst spec when a Spirit Ranger or any of the many Rabid specs in this game are pretty much just as effective with none of the practice required. When this is how the game works, players will just stop logging in since there’s no sense in practising or improving your skills.

Cast bars it’s a matter of opinion I suppose. I’d actually prefer not to have them, but in turn you cannot have things like Asura characters and instant cast skills like Doom and Static Shot. When it comes to evading these poorly-designed skills, players will credit their own skill at reading animations but this is impossible since there are none. The next best thing you can do is predict and then evade frame.

Posted by: Lynne.8416

Lynne.8416

I can understand why some people leave. I have always been one to play casually, but lately I log on less frequently. My husband who played roughly 10 hours a day for a year, now only logs on once or twice a week.
The new two week living stories, the lack of active guildies and the queue times to get into WvW have pretty much killed the game for us.
If it was just the lack of active guildies…well we could eventually overcome that, but the other two are pretty much deal breakers.
When you add in other minor issues that we have with the game, it’s just too much to overcome.

Posted by: Faze.6948

Faze.6948

I’m almost an exclusively PVE open landscape player. (I’ve enjoyed dungeons in other games, but I don’t have any firends playing GW2 right now and I find PUG groups too speedrun orientated.) So, this feedback is my entirely personal feedback focused around PVE open world from the perspective of someone who works full time with a family and thus limited to ‘casual’ levels play 1-3 hours per day, 5-6 days per week.

1. Little level-cap depth

So you work up to 80, get the armor and weapon skins you want slap it on Zerker gear… aand you’re done. Well, apart from grinding out better stats. There’s no housing to obtain rare furnishings for, no horizontal progression or builds to explore, no cosmetic outfit slots, no hobbies or non-combat activities to progress in. In short no means to flesh out, develop and enjoy a capped character except from, ironically given the initial premise, work on grinding out a vertical stats improvement.

2. A-chore-ment points.

What do I see when I log in every day? A to-do list. What do I get every two weeks? A to-do list, with a list of to-do lists. Every month? Oh, look a to-do list, how novel. I’ve got something in my life that works like that – the dull parts of my job, household chores – the maintenance, grindy bits of life I do to get to the fun stuff. Like you know, immerse myself in a video game where I get to play how I want… oh, wait…

3. Z2W: Zerg to Win

Is it me or is everything lucrative (tied to 5 below) in this game tied to a zerg? Pavilion, Invasions, World Bosses, Temples. So I’m pushed toward content where I as an individual I contribute little to the overall outcome and the risk is minimal along with potential maximum frame rates. I don’t mind being the faceless foot-soldier watching a PowerPoint slideshow of GW2 from time-to-time but when it is the easiest way of ‘succeeding’ in open world PvE that removes a lot of excitement and adventure.

4. RNG

Risk vs. reward in this game is totally off. I can spend 10 minutes taking down a serious boss and be rewarded with a blue. Then I open a chest from the simple jumping puzzle in Lion’s Arch I’ve been grinding umpteen times for the mats and boom, a rare exotic that goes for 5g. I rewarded myself for such good fortune by taking a couple of days off grinding the world event zergs for yellows and rare mats (tied to 5 below) so I could actually spend a couple of evenings – wait for it – playing how I want to play!

5. Sell all the things!

MMOs live and die by players setting themselves goals to obtain things. Sadly, most everything in this game, or the component parts is trade-able, making the TP the path of least resistance to getting what you want. So you need gold. How do you obtain gold? Sell/salvage every drop you get ever and hope the RNG will be graceful and shorten that gold earning grind (tied to 3 and 4 above). The only thing I care about when loot drops is how much it sells for, loot in GW2 is nothing more than bits of a means to an end with different icons.

So, just like life how much cool shiny stuff I can have is determined not by my actions (see RNG above) but by my wealth obtained from trading time for gold. This sounds like a pretty realistic reflection of real world economics, but just like Achorement points, that doesn’t make it fun.

Tl;dr? It’s a few short simple, paragraphs. Go and get some treatment for your ADHD sonny.

Dark Catalyst.1028

Heh, A-chore-ment points. I like that. Throw in the dailies as well.

Those two things really killed my desire to log in. Near the end of my trek, I really dreaded it. I would end up doing a daily and then log out for the rest of the night.

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

Here’s another massive thing that is a factor; you can see it by how many people complain about the lack of stuff to do at top level.
No matter which way you cut it, level-scaling isn’t aggressive enough and content designed for any level lower than 70 is ridiculously easy for a fully geared level 80.

Compare this to Guild Wars Prophecies, where upon reaching top level, there was still a massive amount of the game you hadn’t played. Something like a third of the map was designed around maximum level players. This ratio only got better with Factions and Nightfall, where approximately 80% of those campaigns was designed with top level characters in mind.

On release, Guild Wars 2 had exactly ONE map designed specifically for level 80 players. Percentage-wise, that’s about 3% of the game designed specifically for level 80 players.

The problem’s also compounded by ArenaNet’s decision to chase the MMO demographic that prefers large amounts of character levels. I know it’s easy enough to reach 80 (hell, I craft-levelled a significant number of my toons after the initial 3; that takes about half a day from 1 to 80), but having such a large level range dictates that levelling be spread out across more zones. If you’re much more than 5 levels below the stated level range for a map, you’re fodder. So levelling unfortunately spreads to occupy the majority of the map leaving little room for actual top-level content.

This is why a lot of people get to 80 and complain that there’s little or nothing to do. It’s no wonder they get bored and leave when such a small percentage of the game is targeted at them.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The hater of vertical progression killed this game. Those babies never played an MMO.

I hope other designers learned the lesson. Vertical progession is NEEDED to keep a mmo alive.

Since VP was added to the game, I’ll guess it was not “enough” to satisfy this poster and those like him. It’s ironic that players are leaving because of lack of VP while other players are simultaneously leaving because of the addition of VP. This is what happens when developers go for compromise solutions that cater to everyone — they end up displeasing players on both sides of the issue.

Very much this. I’m not sure what Anet can do.

Last night, we got a new guild member, who said to me there was no reason to go for a legendary because the stats weren’t higher. In fact, without higher stats, for this new guy, there’s no reason to get any other weapon and without that driving force, there’s no reason to play the game. He took a year break because there was no gear to work for.

This is why I say WoW’s success killed this industry. Sure they got 12.4 million players at their height, but that’s a relatively small percentage of gamers over all. And not all the people who play, play to grind gear. Many, in fact, don’t raid at all. That’s why raids in WoW kept getting easier and more available and finally, the looking for raid tool did away with the challenge in the game altogether. It was this reason that this new guildie said he left WoW.

I feel sort of like people who come from other games need to re-educated, but unfortunately, there seem to be more of them than there are of me.

Yeah, I don’t always agree with you, man, but I hear you on this one. I should have heard alarm bells when ANet announced that the game sold better than they expected. I don’t begrudge ANet their success, but the current direction is making the game less palatable to me, update by update.

Dark Catalyst.1028

Last night, we got a new guild member, who said to me there was no reason to go for a legendary because the stats weren’t higher. In fact, without higher stats, for this new guy, there’s no reason to get any other weapon and without that driving force, there’s no reason to play the game. He took a year break because there was no gear to work for.

This is why I say WoW’s success killed this industry. Sure they got 12.4 million players at their height, but that’s a relatively small percentage of gamers over all. And not all the people who play, play to grind gear. Many, in fact, don’t raid at all. That’s why raids in WoW kept getting easier and more available and finally, the looking for raid tool did away with the challenge in the game altogether. It was this reason that this new guildie said he left WoW.

I feel sort of like people who come from other games need to re-educated, but unfortunately, there seem to be more of them than there are of me.

The people who are casual can use the raid tool and at the very least see all the content and the people who want a challenge can run the higher raid difficulties. Plenty of people do this and multiple tools exist to help you get a group together for these higher difficulties. I don’t see the problem with this.

With the introduction of ascended gear, the fact of the matter is, that gear is now relevant. Yeah, you don’t HAVE to grind ascended but if I’m going to do something like WvW or even PvE, I want to bring my best. Sure, it would be nice if exotic was the top tier. But if I’m going to have to work for gear, then I’d rather do it WoW style over GW2 style which consists of gathering, running champ/event trains repeatedly and sitting at a crafting station.

Yeah, I have to run the same raid or two multiple times, but it’s actual, challenging content and my class is deep enough that I can always work at getting better.

Posted by: Caramel Ham.4891

Caramel Ham.4891

After one year with no new core game updates….it gets boring. I don’t even count LS updates as content with the exception of certain parts of it.

Posted by: Enokitake.1742

Enokitake.1742

Indeed. They forgot that GW1 was filled with millions who loved it because GW1 was mostly horizontal progression, capping new skills and expanding your mastery of the class in ultra competitive pvp/challenging small group pve… instead of vertical RNG SLOW GRIND NEW GEAR TIER CAUSE SLIGHTLY MOAR DPS in mostly zergs.

eisberg.2379

Indeed. They forgot that GW1 was filled with millions who loved it because GW1 was mostly horizontal progression, capping new skills and expanding your mastery of the class in ultra competitive pvp/challenging small group pve… instead of vertical RNG SLOW GRIND NEW GEAR TIER CAUSE SLIGHTLY MOAR DPS in mostly zergs.

GW1 had Vertical progression as well, and the grind in that vertical progression was far worse than what we have in Guild Wars 2. There was vertical progression in skills, and the better more poweful skills had a very long grind to get them, and they made previous skills weak and not useful anymore.

Xae Isareth.1364

The people who are casual can use the raid tool and at the very least see all the content and the people who want a challenge can run the higher raid difficulties. Plenty of people do this and multiple tools exist to help you get a group together for these higher difficulties. I don’t see the problem with this.

With the introduction of ascended gear, the fact of the matter is, that gear is now relevant. Yeah, you don’t HAVE to grind ascended but if I’m going to do something like WvW or even PvE, I want to bring my best. Sure, it would be nice if exotic was the top tier. But if I’m going to have to work for gear, then I’d rather do it WoW style over GW2 style which consists of gathering, running champ/event trains repeatedly and sitting at a crafting station.

Yeah, I have to run the same raid or two multiple times, but it’s actual, challenging content and my class is deep enough that I can always work at getting better.

To be honest, any and all raids stopped being challenging once you cleared it once. It’s like riding a bike. You take forever learning it the first time, then it just becomes an automated process.

I’m quite sure you didn’t find Arah a joke the first tone you went in. Heck, people complained AC was too hard.

Also, GW1 was more or less a niche in the MMO market.

eisberg.2379

To be honest, any and all raids stopped being challenging once you cleared it once. It’s like riding a bike. You take forever learning it the first time, then it just becomes an automated process.

I’m quite sure you didn’t find Arah a joke the first tone you went in. Heck, people complained AC was too hard.

Also, GW1 was more or less a niche in the MMO market.

Yeah GW1 had the niche of being the only game that wasn’t an MMO in the MMO market =D

But yeah, what you said about WoW raids is spot on, after beating it the first time it was easy there after.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Actually they didn’t forget anything.

Guild Wars 1 sold 7 million copies of four games, and many people had more than one games. My household alone accounts for more than a dozen of those sales, even though my two kids eventually moved to WoW and never looked back.

Actually it’s Guild Wars 1 fans who are forgetting that Guild Wars had a staff of about 50 and Guild Wars 2 is a much bigger project with a staff more than six times as large. There was more content in Guild Wars 2 at launch than in Guild Wars Prophecies and Factions combined, and an MMO is much harder to program than a lobby game.

For this game to be successful, it had to be a lot more than Guild War was…because Guild Wars was never really a house hold name. It was a great game, but it was also niche game. I loved it…but I’m by no means atypical of the multiplayer fantasy fan base.

WoW had more people at one time playing it than Guild Wars 1 made sales over 8 years. Almost double. And then there were myriad WoW clones and no Guild Wars clones.

So the entire MMO playerbase became conditioned to the way things were supposed to be in an MMO.

I truly believe Anet wanted this to be different…and found that too many people left the game without someone telling them to do this now and this is what you have to grind for now.

If you play this game the way I do, it’s fine. If you play this game like a grinder plays and you like grinding, it’s fine.

If you think this game can be the game you want and still support the masses…well, Anet would have had to have set its sites a good deal lower…and then they wouldn’t have been able to fund the new game at all.

There’s just not enough players today to support a big title that doesn’t tow the line.

Posted by: Twoknights.3596

Twoknights.3596

I gave up playing a year ago, having levelled a character to the mid-60’s. I found the mid-level areas a tedious slog due to a game flaw I consider unacceptable in any MMORPG -

Excessive respawn rates.

In many places it was so bad, mobs were respawning and joining in as you fought the mob’s neighbour. In no other AAA MMORPG have I seen open world mob respawns handled so badly. Anet was clearly not interested in fixing it, so I baled.

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

Well, not too long ago 2 major guild that i belonged to, completely left guild wars 2 and their reasons were the following..

1. Thief class- Perma-stealth, too much of everything that completely violates any mmo class/profession balance, and what make this even worse, is how their skills and attacks can not be ever countered but somehow by ‘luck’

2. War class- 2nd kin to thief without un-encounterable skills and attacks, and without stealth.

3. Too much Aoe’s damage

4. Too much critical damage

5. Op runes

6. Op sigils

7. How some class feel ‘cheap’

8. Game story are boring and very repetitive

9. Wvw boring and repetitive

10. Loot nerfs

11. Excessive amount of nerfs and buffs to classes that need it and does not need it.

12. Excessive laggings

13. Excessive game disconnections .. aka d/c

14. Excessive game crashes

15. Excessive game freezing

14. overall- great community, poor devs communication with their community

15. Favoritism and Favoritism

16. lists goes on and on….

17. one thing i almost forgot, how a thief; just 1 thief can endlessly prevent the opposite server from wp to their keep and to endlessly prevent them from claiming a supply camp t’ill this day, which i clearly experience everyday in wvw- totally pathetic.

It’s unfortunate they did not witness some turn-around positive changes within the past few weeks but reality is, they weren’t in denial of their experience and in their factual observations.

And what is so sad about this; they were the most passionate, understanding, helpful, patient, non-egoistic, and self-sacrificing game players you will ever meet in the game.

Recently, Someone passed on to me their exact numbers..

guild 1- 183 members

guild 2- 150 members

So there,

These are the reason why they left and i have no objection; yet i did try to encourage them to stay longer.. they had already made up their mind.

As the saying goes, "majority rules’

(Lately after Dec 10 class and game preview patch announcement; i notice and feel Arena.net having a new redemption; hopefully they are sincere and serious about it)

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

(edited by Burnfall.9573)

Posted by: Plague.3174

Plague.3174

I did quit because:

-made all the dungeons several times and got the dungeon master title;
-all my 4 lvl 80 characters have 2 or 3 endgame sets;
-Nothing new in PVE, grinding fractals became boring after lvl 30 and there is nothing fun about it anymore;
-No real reason to keep doing the dungeons after you get the set, no special rare epic drop motivate me;
-I realized that every new patch introduced new zergs and found myself bored after 15 minutes of mindless zerging;
-I don’t like SPVP- maps are nice, fight are nice but there isn’t any character progression;
-WvWvW is a nice idea;

The end reason is that I don’t know what to do anymore. Farming it’s not fun for me but it’s the only way to get the endgame rewards. Legendary -farm and pray otherwise farm more to buy the precursor; I found myself a few days ago in LA thinking about what should I do.

That’s why I quit.

Posted by: declan.3968

declan.3968

My guild has 500 members, close, we keep on deleting members that haven’t gained achievements after 3 months (which is long enough), except for those who were previously Officer rank.

People quit for many reasons. The first is the Legendary 1 month break, which most people do after they get their first Legendary. Some players leave due to work commitments, having to OT on project work for 3-6 months means they have no time to play. Some leave because they start a new phase of life, be it college, new job, getting married, having a baby …

Others leave due to GW2 merely being a game to tide over boredom until their anticipated game (FFXIV, BF4) comes out.

Some leave due to burn out, they want a fresh slate to start with.

Whatever it is, our guild is still 500 strong since release. Don’t worry so much about why people leave, just accept it is a fact of life that people will come and go, but cherish those times you spent with them.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

My guild is slowly gaining members, but we don’t delete them because people do come back and we’re not near our cap. But we tend to have around the same number of active players now than we did six months ago, which is more than we had at launch.

Posted by: Primernova.5791

Primernova.5791

My guild is slowly gaining members, but we don’t delete them because people do come back and we’re not near our cap. But we tend to have around the same number of active players now than we did six months ago, which is more than we had at launch.

Could you PM the website/email/contact for your guild? I’m fairly sure you’re on my server btw.

I just want to do content, with online friends. Like an MMO is supposed to be played.

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

honestly its normal. Every MMO is that way. For every launch guild probably 1-3 players stick around, but over the course of years new players come, old players leave, a lot return time to time, it just happens.

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

GW1 had Vertical progression as well, and the grind in that vertical progression was far worse than what we have in Guild Wars 2. There was vertical progression in skills, and the better more poweful skills had a very long grind to get them, and they made previous skills weak and not useful anymore.

To be fair, those EotN skills weren’t that hard to max out, and the stat progression in those skills was tiny. It’s true some of those EotN skills eclipsed some older skills in efficiency if you maxed them out, but it was a handful.

Keep in mind that the devs that produced this game are the same ones that gave us Heroes and those EotN skills you referred to. Most of the people that created and produced the core Guild Wars game were gone by the time EotN came around, and those grindy skills were not in the game before that. The shift started with Nightfall. You can see the change in direction taking place even then, you just have to look for it.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

(edited by Obsidian.1328)

Posted by: Moka.9641

Moka.9641

Because some people moves on in life

[AW]- The Holy Engineer