Why do people stop playing GW2?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: McSlappy.1372

McSlappy.1372

10 pages and I wonder if Anet is reading these and getting the message?

Doubt it. They seem to be in la la land thinking that they created the best game ever. They don’t realize that they talked about the best game ever but actually created the total 180 degree opposite of what they stated they wanted.

Posted by: aeroh.8930

aeroh.8930

As someone that plays GW2 on-again off-again, I can say I stop playing because I get bored. I get bored because the gameplay is shallow, repetitive, and most of all, it’s lonely. Go here, do this, collect 250 of that all by yourself in a crowd. GW2 is ironically the least social mmo that I’ve ever played. We play together, but we don’t really interact with each other. For the most part, the only direct interactions we have we other players are combo fields. And with all the flashy effects, who the hell can tell when that’s happening.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Right, as compared to most other MMOs, like say WoW, where all human warriors have the exact same stories, or better, no story at all. That’s true of probably 99% of MMOs. Characters have no personal story. This is a step forward from that.

The complaints about Trahearne running the show really blow my mind a bit. I mean people say this game didn’t keep anything from Guild Wars 1, but that was the modus operandi for pretty much ALL of Guild Wars 1. You were never doing your own thing, but someone else’s thing, even if you were the chosen. The most obvious example of this is Komir, who is the head of the Sunspears and becomes a goddess at the end. You do all the work, she gets all the credit.

It’s less like that with Trahearne, who has the wilde hunt to heal Orr. If you play a Sylvari your wylde hunt is to kill Zhaitan. Different wylde hunts. Even if you don’t play a Sylvari, Trahearne gives you plenty of credit, if you listen to what he’s saying. I think people are just used to Skyrim where you can be the head of everything all at the same time…which always rubbed me the wrong way. If I’d been able to walk up to Zhaitan and beat him with a mace and kill him, that would have likely rubbed me the wrong way too.

But yeah, the person story, as with any portion of a game, has budgetary constraints. SWTOR was the most expensive MMO ever made, and they put most of their money into cinematics and voice acting, and we all know where that went.

In a company that’s smaller with a lower budget, you can’t expect individual endings for each player and I’m not sure why anyone did. Anyone following the game would have known all roads lead to Zhaitan and that it’s in a dungeon. At least I knew that well before launch.

I just had to come back and answer that…

You mean, SWTOR, the game where we can feel like a real badkitten for real, where you truly feel like you have some power ? Some meaning ? And companions (not all of them, I admit) that matters ? Oh, and stories ! Yeah…

I have yet to see a story in GW2 beat the Imperial Agent one, or the amazing feeling I had with my sith jugg when he trashed a republic base just to see the general inside of it. By himself.

What do you get in GW2 ?

Lame dialogues.

Crappy voice acting.

One (or two) cool cinematic(s).

Characters that don’t have any importance. You just want to punch them a few thousand times in the face…with another mother****** (if you get the joke here, kudos).

Oh, and my favorite…

Dialogues scenes where I have the sudden urge of killing someone. Where characters are supposed to “feel” angry, but are just standing upright, facing each other. It’s like watching Hamlet, but with the actors having as much feelings as a brain-dead magikarp flopping around.

Not the worst story ever, per se, but let’s just say it sucks. Badly.

This is why I said MOST MMOs, and not all MMOs. And since we’re on that topic, SWToR basically failed to meet expectations because they put most of their budget into voice acting and cinematics and a whole lot of good it did them. They should have concentrated more on game play.

The story isn’t as bad as you make it out to be. Yes, there are areas where’s its weaker and areas where it’s stronger….however, compared to most MMOs (in other words 99% of them), you actually get a story and options.

And there were plenty of complaints in SWToR about the stories and your choices not meaning anything in the end anyway.

Posted by: Serv.6073

Serv.6073

being force to buy gems might be a reason.

Posted by: DragonHarlock.8274

DragonHarlock.8274

And there were plenty of complaints in SWToR about the stories and your choices not meaning anything in the end anyway.

Yep. Just knowing the fact that the whole SWToR game happens before the movies make all your actions there meaningless. If you’re Jedi, your order is pretty much destroyed, no matter what you do. If you’re Sith, well… you’re not Darth Vader :P Besides the stories here are pretty good. Plus I love a lot of the banter, especially any involving Asura. After killing the Mega Destroyer, I too would like to be rewarded with a pet duck.

People will leave due to their own reasons. Work, family, health, social life, troubles with the law, other games, etc. Unlike a lot of MMOs though, when you decide to hop on in and play again with this MMO, you’ll be able to pick up where you left off from and even do new content they may have introduced. Sure you’ll miss a few things that you might like, but they will be replaced by things you might like even better down the road.

Posted by: Unholy Pillager.3791

Unholy Pillager.3791

I was much more of a fan of GW1. But, of my 2 favorite classes (ranger and dervish), they got rid of 1 completely and did…things…terrible things…to the other. Also, they frequently NERF rangers, despite them being so weak in various aspects of the game, due to their failure to be trash-tier in sPvP as well. The least they could do is split it like they did in GW1…

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

Unlike a lot of MMOs though, when you decide to hop on in and play again with this MMO, you’ll be able to pick up where you left off from and even do new content they may have introduced. Sure you’ll miss a few things that you might like, but they will be replaced by things you might like even better down the road.

You mean the stuff that disappears every two weeks and never comes back?

Lets be honest, the only new content in the game over the last year is fractals, a change to teq (which isn’t popular) and 1 new TA dungeon path…if you leave for a year the game barely changes at all and there’s very little new to do because all the new things to do disappear.

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

Posted by: DragonHarlock.8274

DragonHarlock.8274

Unlike a lot of MMOs though, when you decide to hop on in and play again with this MMO, you’ll be able to pick up where you left off from and even do new content they may have introduced. Sure you’ll miss a few things that you might like, but they will be replaced by things you might like even better down the road.

You mean the stuff that disappears every two weeks and never comes back?

Lets be honest, the only new content in the game over the last year is fractals, a change to teq (which isn’t popular) and 1 new TA dungeon path…if you leave for a year the game barely changes at all and there’s very little new to do because all the new things to do disappear.

Okay so let’s see. If everything we’ve experienced from Living World so far stayed… how many people would be doing the Flame and Frost signpost fixing? Jumping around in Zephyr Sanctum? Monotonously grinding away at the Queen’s Pavilion? What else am I missing… Cutscenes… although we do get permanent cutscenes through items. I don’t think I’m missing anything else when it comes to things that disappeared permanently. Granted there is something I miss, the arena events with Liadri et al but that’s only thing I miss. Seasonal events are not meant to linger and will reoccur annually. Super Adventure Box is reoccuring but as far I knew nowhere near as many people as the first time even bothered with it the second time around.

Now for the things that stayed…

Karka are still in Southsun, not being killed. Scarlet’s minions are still invading random spots in the world, also not being stopped. Permanent change to Tequatl… only a couple of servers and a dedicated guild still do it. Sanctum Sprint, Crab Toss, and Southsun Survivor are still there… I don’t know how many people play those anymore. Flame and Frost Dungeon is coming back as a Fractal. New TA dungeon path is also permanent. All the content is still here. Just not the rewards. And I’m guessing that’s what it all boils down to. It’s not that there’s no content left over… there’s plenty. It’s that the rewards tied to those events that introduced the content are now gone.

(edited by DragonHarlock.8274)

Posted by: GuildWarsPlayer.5608

GuildWarsPlayer.5608

What I don’t understand is, why can’t people just play something else when they get bored with the game ? Why put the game down ? I will admit, at times I do get bored with the game and when that happens what do I do ? I play something else until I get bored with that game then I return to this game and repeat the process.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

What I don’t understand is, why can’t people just play something else when they get bored with the game ? Why put the game down ? I will admit, at times I do get bored with the game and when that happens what do I do ? I play something else until I get bored with that game then I return to this game and repeat the process.

Tell that to Anet who decided that everything new is here for a few weeks and then gone forever. If they stopped doing this time gated LS crap then people wouldn’t feel like they were missing something forever by taking a break and coming back with a fresh outlook on the game.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: bacon.5043

bacon.5043

Because i went back to wow

Posted by: Sola.7250

Sola.7250

After I get to 500 in crafting in weapon smith later this coming week, I’m going to take a long break. I don’t care for Living Story Events and I don’t like the trend of making Champions harder with less loot. I’ll wait for an expansion pack with new character classes and new map areas to explore. I also don’t like the gimmick bosses and want some randomness to bosses/dungeons (random paths, random bosses, random hidden locations). A big weak point for Living Story Events is no one does them after the first week because a lot of timed/dated crap and a lot of the events don’t scale to the smaller number of players trying to do them after the first week.

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

After initial retreats in 2012, I can’t see that many people quitting the game. In fact, most of these people who had gone were players seeking for:
1)e-sports
2)hardcore PvE
3)something that would “beat the WoW”
4)they got through to 80, got CoF gear and decided they’ve beaten the game
So now, I think we’re getting even more new players in the game and certainly the community isn’t moaning about lack of content, at least way less than in before. Overall, good

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

2/2

~

That’s not making a game social. What you just described is actually what makes MMOs ironically such an anti-social genre.

Players just find an exclusive group which they do content with, then that’s it. You don’t meet new people, you don’t want to meet new people because it takes too long to teach them the content and their class may not fit in your group.

That’s what makes newbies feel like they’re that kid who gets picked last in football or the new guy who has no friends.

Why would you need to be only in 1 guild? There’s guild alliances in other MMOs which are basically the same as joining different guilds.

Some of the best convos I’ve had with people in this game are in PUGs. We once did a fractal run which lasted 4 HOURS. Seriously, 4 hours. The group was that bad, but it was 4 hours of my life which I’d gladly waste again because it was great, we joked about it, we laughed and we RPed all the way through.

The only reason which people don’t get to know each other is because they don’t want to.

What I just described is why other games are far more social than GW2. Yes, the average GW2 player is more polite than other MMOs, but that doesn’t make them more social. The fact of the matter is, content in this game requires very little social interaction overall. There is little/no division of labor, which forces social interaction (whether it be good, bad, polite, impolite, etc…)
Since we’re using anecdotes, I’ve had the exact opposite experience as you (on Tarnished Coast no less!) in regards to dungeons. It just turned into a quick explanation of a fight if nobody knew, then move on. No interaction, no real strategy…just an explanation that was essentially copy/pasted off a wiki article.
Now lets look at other games, ones which force social interaction via a division of labor. Sandbox games like Star Wars Galaxies (pre-NGE) were extraordinarily social because the entire game required other players to accomplish relatively simple tasks. My friend’s list in that game was 50+ players, all of whom I had tagged for specific reasons (armorsmith, weaponsmith, image designer, good pilots, etc…). More mainstream games like WoW are also far more social than GW2 because, they too, require the division of labor (limited crafting and gathering specializations, the trinity, etc…).
Creating an environment which promotes individuals to stand out is what social interaction is all about! Just because you had a pretty fun experience once doesn’t negate the fact that the game generally promotes an anti-social atmosphere which feels like a bunch of people playing a single-player game at the same time.

What you are saying here I did here many people say who left the game. It basically has to do with the removal of the holy trinity. In the end your main task is looking for yourself.

Now removing the holy trinity by itself is not bad and giving everybody some heal and ress skill is also not bad. The problem is that they did not replace it with more roles then tank, dps, healer. They just took that out and then that it.

When I read they took out the holy trinity it sounded good. Finally everybody really has it’s own role (I though) but it turned out to be, nobody has a role. Because of that there is no real teamwork. In the end you mainly watch yourself and if somebody go’s down you res him. Thats as far as it goes.

When there are real roles (like in the holy trinity) you need to work together everybody making using of his required! role to win the fight / reach the goal. And thats a big difference.

The problem has to do with the mentality of doing thinks different for the sake of doing it different. Many of the problems with Guild Wars 2 can be traced to a few main sources.

1. Focus on the gem-store
2. Do thinks different for the sake of doing it different.
3. Quick but dirty developer mentality (invisible walls, and instanced maps show this a little bit but you can also see it on other places. That quick but dirty mentality bites you back later. Trying to fix one thing will then cause 10 new problems)

(edited by Devata.6589)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

In speed clear groups there is plenty of team work. I grant that in a group where everyone is freewheeling, there is little to no team work. However, that is not the game’s fault.

Devata.6589

In speed clear groups there is plenty of team work. I grant that in a group where everyone is freewheeling, there is little to no team work. However, that is not the game’s fault.

Yeah I do many coordinated dungeon runs but thats not the same then when you all really have a role based on your class that is needed in teamwork to get the job done.

(edited by Devata.6589)

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

It’s not really the same thing when you organize to burn through something as fast as humanly possible as it is when you have to organize just to beat it at all, especially in some games with wildly different class roles in a group.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Sweetbread.2679

Sweetbread.2679

Because it’s a shallow, grindy, generally incompetent cash grab that ruined an amazing franchise?

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I don’t play as much as I used to mostly due to other games having less grind overall than this one getting my attention and money. I’m a crafter and advancing most of my crafts in this one has become too expensive and tedious. I dislike the lack of permanent content that I can complete at my own pace, and I like expansions, so I’ve been playing other games’ permanent additions to their content. Dungeons don’t hold much interest for me, especially since pugging in this game is just a bad idea considering the attitudes and scamming of the playerbase.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

After initial retreats in 2012, I can’t see that many people quitting the game. In fact…

You might want to double check the meaning of the word, “fact.” It doesn’t mean what you seem to think it does.

Posted by: feldspar.8345

feldspar.8345

I pre-purchased the first day GW2 was available … participated fully in all the BWEs … played solidly for over a year … then hit a wall a couple months ago. Since then I’ve logged in only a handful of times. I think it came down to two things for me: (1) the grinding/farming needed to skill up high enough to make an ascended weapon; and (2) zerg, zerg, zerg; zerg all the day long.

I used to enjoy this game a ton, and am glad I spent the time to complete the map and see all the zones. Tyria is still a beautiful and engaging world. And I still enjoy popping in to Cursed Shore and helping in whatever events are running. But all of the grinding – for crafting mats or for gold or for living story achievement points – which is most efficiently done through mindless zerging, made me ask myself, “What is this all for? Is this really fun?” And that’s when I decided it was time to update my WoW add-ons.

I still keep tabs on the game, its ongoing development, and some of the new things introduced with the living story. And I keep my eyes peeled for signs that I might find in GW2 the enjoyment I once had. Not many so far….

For the Coast!

Posted by: Adrenaline.2854

Adrenaline.2854

I stopped playing because it’s boring.

Devata.6589

Right, as compared to most other MMOs, like say WoW, where all human warriors have the exact same stories, or better, no story at all. That’s true of probably 99% of MMOs. Characters have no personal story. This is a step forward from that.

The complaints about Trahearne running the show really blow my mind a bit. I mean people say this game didn’t keep anything from Guild Wars 1, but that was the modus operandi for pretty much ALL of Guild Wars 1. You were never doing your own thing, but someone else’s thing, even if you were the chosen. The most obvious example of this is Komir, who is the head of the Sunspears and becomes a goddess at the end. You do all the work, she gets all the credit.

It’s less like that with Trahearne, who has the wilde hunt to heal Orr. If you play a Sylvari your wylde hunt is to kill Zhaitan. Different wylde hunts. Even if you don’t play a Sylvari, Trahearne gives you plenty of credit, if you listen to what he’s saying. I think people are just used to Skyrim where you can be the head of everything all at the same time…which always rubbed me the wrong way. If I’d been able to walk up to Zhaitan and beat him with a mace and kill him, that would have likely rubbed me the wrong way too.

But yeah, the person story, as with any portion of a game, has budgetary constraints. SWTOR was the most expensive MMO ever made, and they put most of their money into cinematics and voice acting, and we all know where that went.

In a company that’s smaller with a lower budget, you can’t expect individual endings for each player and I’m not sure why anyone did. Anyone following the game would have known all roads lead to Zhaitan and that it’s in a dungeon. At least I knew that well before launch.

I don’t care about the personal story because if I play an MMO I live my personal story while playing it.

Not by doing some single player (co-op) story that gives me a few options. I have a personal story in the other MMO’s that I played. But “The personal story” in GW2 is not my personal story.. also not for GW2. It’s nothing more then some simple player element that I don’t care about.

So there is no reason for that and if they want to give it some personal touch then give (like somebody else posted) some housing, preferable open world where I can really build my own thing. But also guild housing and raiding would be nice to work towards something together with the guild because in the end it is an MMO. But a single player element in an MMO? no Thnx.

You take as example WoW. I don’t even know the story behind the game, thereis no single player personal story but I have memories playing it, leveling my char and so on (And the memories are differend for everybody so yes a differend ending for everybody). Those together form my personal story. Part of that is helping NPC’s in traditional quest, and that part misses GW2. Dynamic events are great but they by themselves are not a substitute for the tradition quest. They would be a great addition. But then again, GW2 needed to have every thing different for the sake of having it different and many MMO’s have quest so GW2 as no traditional quest. However it takes away from you true personal story.

(edited by Devata.6589)

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

Yeah I do many coordinated dungeon but thats not the same then when you all really have a role based on your class that is needed in teamwork to get the job done.

I don’t understand this mentality that you need the trinity to put roles into a game. In fact, when you break roles down like that game can get very, very, boring. In most games all the DD does is sit in a corner churning through rotations.

An example of having roles in a game without the trinity can be found in something like Vindictus (not saying its a good game, it’s actually a terrible game) where it’s by design that every class is just DPS. You had a dragon fight where you had to have people on ballistas shooting the dragon down, people building shelters so the raid doesn’t get wiped by the huge AoEs it launches, and people running and filling pools with fairy water to cleanse a DoT debuff the boss places on people.

That didn’t work as intended (mainly due to the ‘raid’ being too easy) and the roles being too simple but there’s a lot which could be built upon there.

And to be honest, I would have anything to replace the trinity. Anything at all, even no roles. Waiting for hours as a DD was the most frustrating thing I’ve experienced in MMOs, and since healers are not fun to play in solo content, you can’t blame me for not playing one.

The trinity adds roles but also adds over-dependence on others to actually play the game. Not everything is structured group content in MMOs, so of you got a role who’s primary role is to support a a group and there’s no one to support, well, gg you.

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

Simple, I quit cause this is not the GW2 that was advertised to me.

Yeah I get it. It’s all cosmetic grind. But when your game revolves around cosmetics and nothing else, then you just made the basis of your game a grind. It seems to really get anything in this game you have to farm and grind, or spend real money. For a game that prides itself on saying “We don’t make grindy games”, they sure do have a lot of grind.

Every update introduces more and more achievement grind. That’s all they are. Some new story with plot holes and lack of character, with tons of new achievements to grind out for what? A mini or a back slot item. No new armor skins or weapon skins for us in the actual game. That kind of stuff we have to buy from the Gem Store. Cause god forbid we actually earn these things via actual game play.

Plus I’m tired of all the RNG gambling in the Gem Store. Every time we get new content, they introduce new weapons behind RNG gambling. The only way to obtain them is to gamble for them via lottery chests or Black Lion chests. And it’s always a chance you’ll get them, never a guarantee.

That on top of the horribly low RNG drop rate, with DR slapped on top of that, rewards are extremely lacking. I’ve been here since first beta, and I have never had an exotic drop ever. People always complain they have never got a precursor, try never getting a single exotic. I’ve had maybe four rares drop for me in all my time playing this game. Otherwise it’s green, blue, or junk. And the rewards for all the effort we put into things is not worth it.

I am really at a loss for what happened to this game. It showed so much promise in the first few months, then the famous November patch hit and everything just started going downhill. A complete 180 on their original direction, and going back on everything they said GW2 would be. I miss the old Anet that made games for the players, designed by the players. Because this is not them.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Posted by: Sarabande.8260

Sarabande.8260

I appreciate and play GW2 for what it is, but I cannot stick with it because it’s a DPS’ers game. I love healing… in any MMO I play, if there is a healing class, that’s what I’ll be. There are no real healers in GW2 so I stay entertained for a week or three, then go back to my other games where I can heal. It’s all DPS here… DPS is boring over the long haul.

Again, I knew there would be no healers coming into this game. I don’t fault it for that, but, as an MMO, it’s just a side game I play every once in a while.

I could never get into this game hardcore. IMO, It’s too boring for that – no heals.

Posted by: KazNaka.4718

KazNaka.4718

I appreciate and play GW2 for what it is, but I cannot stick with it because it’s a DPS’ers game. I love healing… in any MMO I play, if there is a healing class, that’s what I’ll be. There are no real healers in GW2 so I stay entertained for a week or three, then go back to my other games where I can heal. It’s all DPS here… DPS is boring over the long haul.

Again, I knew there would be no healers coming into this game. I don’t fault it for that, but, as an MMO, it’s just a side game I play every once in a while.

I could never get into this game hardcore. IMO, It’s too boring for that – no heals.

have you ever tried a full cleric’s geared guardian? It can heal a ton of dmg to the party. The only thing is, you can’t just stand still and focus completely on healing. Unlike most other MMOs, GW2 is more action oriented. So instead of targeting your teammates to heal them, you have to use your movement (whether to dodge and negate damage completely or to move closer to whoever you want to heal). If that’s not your style, then I suppose this isn’t the right game for you.

Devata.6589

I don’t understand this mentality that you need the trinity to put roles into a game. In fact, when you break roles down like that game can get very, very, boring. In most games all the DD does is sit in a corner churning through rotations.

An example of having roles in a game without the trinity can be found in something like Vindictus (not saying its a good game, it’s actually a terrible game) where it’s by design that every class is just DPS. You had a dragon fight where you had to have people on ballistas shooting the dragon down, people building shelters so the raid doesn’t get wiped by the huge AoEs it launches, and people running and filling pools with fairy water to cleanse a DoT debuff the boss places on people.

That didn’t work as intended (mainly due to the ‘raid’ being too easy) and the roles being too simple but there’s a lot which could be built upon there.

And to be honest, I would have anything to replace the trinity. Anything at all, even no roles. Waiting for hours as a DD was the most frustrating thing I’ve experienced in MMOs, and since healers are not fun to play in solo content, you can’t blame me for not playing one.

The trinity adds roles but also adds over-dependence on others to actually play the game. Not everything is structured group content in MMOs, so of you got a role who’s primary role is to support a a group and there’s no one to support, well, gg you.

I never said ‘the trinity’. I said you need predefined roles (The trinity has 3 roles but you could also work with 4 or 5 or 6 roles). Thats what makes you special from another character in a group, why your input becomes really interesting because other people in the group can not do that thing you do but is required to finish the dungeon / events / raid whatever. That why you feel part of it, you do something wrong? Then it fails. Now if you do something wrong somebody else can do it for you so in the end you only added a little extra DPS to the fight, nothing really important.

It’s funny that you say “In fact, when you break roles down like that game can get very, very, boring.” because if you look at many of the complains about combat in GW2 is that it is very, very, very boring. Or like they usually say, you just spam a few buttons.

Your example of Vindictus Is a very bad way to achieve those roles if that would be the main way of doing it (as part of it, it could be fine but if thats the sort of way you go about creating roles as a general it’s really bad). It’s a way to indeed create artificial roles but in your example it’s the number of people that count and not the skills from the specific class of the people. You could do that a little better by for example making a room with more levers then max people to be allowed into the dungeon (5 in case of GW2) where they need to stand on to open a door. In that case you need a class then can take companions and place them somewhere. Think about rangers (forgetting the fact that they do not have the control over their pet to do this).

That sort of thinks would work a little but only as part of it. If you would work with requiring more numbers then you should put that into the AI from bosses and then build some classes around that idea. This is then just an example but what I am trying to say is that your class needs something specific (a role) and the class should be build around that role, you don’t (or only limited) build a mechanic around a dungeon to create the roles for the people that go in.

The requirement of having those roles indeed might mean that you can get waiting lines if there are classes (roles) that are not as popular as other classes. However it’s this same dependency that makes it fun. The way to partly fix this is by trying to make all classes fun, with healers what you see some MMO’s do is that they give a class 2 possible roles, fighting and healing. Fighting is usually fun during leveling so then people can get level up and when they reach cap they switch to the healing role.

My main is usually ranger also in other MMO’s but I have also played tank and it’s just a lot of fun really being busy tactical, trying to get the aggro, taking aggro from other players especially from the healer. You know if you fail because you neglect getting aggro from the healer you all will whipe. You are important. While without roles like in GW2 it’s mainly keeping an eye for yourself, staying alive and doing DPS. Only real defined role everybody has that it not around himself is getting members up if they are down.

Xae Isareth.1364

I really wish we had more people like the above poster.

In TSW/WoW/FF14/everything else I end up waiting hours to get into a run because no one ever wants to be the healer ._.

Sarabande.8260

have you ever tried a full cleric’s geared guardian? It can heal a ton of dmg to the party. The only thing is, you can’t just stand still and focus completely on healing. Unlike most other MMOs, GW2 is more action oriented. So instead of targeting your teammates to heal them, you have to use your movement (whether to dodge and negate damage completely or to move closer to whoever you want to heal). If that’s not your style, then I suppose this isn’t the right game for you.

I played a guard, but never full cleric’s geared. I don’t care what I have to do to heal, so long as I can heal. How powerful are the heals? Can I single-handedly keep a group alive? How powerful would my heals be really?

If I saw a player at half health could I fill him up, then fill up another and another?

Posted by: woeye.2753

woeye.2753

I like playing my engineer. Unfortunately, however, he’s useless in PvE for the most part. Guardians are way better supporters and warriors provide superior DPS and group buffs.

The difference between a warrior/guardian and an engineer is so huge – it’s insulting.

Balancing issues are a common issue in MMOs. But no other game feels as stagnant as GW2 when it comes to balancing and PvE. And no, shoving around traits won’t solve the many core issues this game has.

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

For me, it’s things like this. There’s no game or economic reason for it to change. It was the way it was for 13+ months. And now it’s different, with no explanation as to why it had to be done.

Xae Isareth.1364

I like playing my engineer. Unfortunately, however, he’s useless in PvE for the most part. Guardians are way better supporters and warriors provide superior DPS and group buffs.

The difference between a warrior/guardian and an engineer is so huge – it’s insulting.

Balancing issues are a common issue in MMOs. But no other game feels as stagnant as GW2 when it comes to balancing and PvE. And no, shoving around traits won’t solve the many core issues this game has.

It’s the same with rangers sadly.

It’s because they balance everything under PvP and refuse to balance the game modes separately. Goodness knows why.

Both rangers and engis are very powerful in PvP.

Posted by: caiomacos.1694

caiomacos.1694

What you are saying here I did here many people say who left the game. It basically has to do with the removal of the holy trinity. In the end your main task is looking for yourself.

Now removing the holy trinity by itself is not bad and giving everybody some heal and ress skill is also not bad. The problem is that they did not replace it with more roles then tank, dps, healer. They just took that out and then that it.

When I read they took out the holy trinity it sounded good. Finally everybody really has it’s own role (I though) but it turned out to be, nobody has a role. Because of that there is no real teamwork. In the end you mainly watch yourself and if somebody go’s down you res him. Thats as far as it goes.

When there are real roles (like in the holy trinity) you need to work together everybody making using of his required! role to win the fight / reach the goal. And thats a big difference.

The problem has to do with the mentality of doing thinks different for the sake of doing it different. Many of the problems with Guild Wars 2 can be traced to a few main sources.

3. Quick but dirty developer mentality (invisible walls, and instanced maps show this a little bit but you can also see it on other places. That quick but dirty mentality bites you back later. Trying to fix one thing will then cause 10 new problems)

Have to disagree.

First of all, the removal of the dps-tank-healer trinity didnt leave the game with no roles. The devs themselves have always talked about how they focus the game on a new trinity damage-control-support. The only reason why this is just not noticeable (outside of sPvP and, at certain situations, WvW) is because general PvE content in this game is just too easy and dont explore different combat mechanics. “Hard” enemies on GW2 are basically one-hit kill mobs with unlimited HP pool. Thats why most people just go full zerk dps everything, since the only way to survive to those would be to block or dodge the hits anyway.

And the reason they decided to remove the tank-dps-healer trinity was not to do something different just for the sake of being different, but to avoid limitations to playstyle based on the character profession. For example, if we look at GW1, despite their attempt to give each profession at least 2 different possible roles, in the end each one of them was limited to very specific roles and playstyles on PvE end-content. If you were a warrior, you would have to be the tank. Assassin? Perma, right? No? Sorry, bro, no room for you on the party. Basically, each profession ended up having very limited gameplay options despite having all those hundreds of skills available to choose from. If you didnt ping the right build for your profession, you wouldnt even get in a party to do FoW, UW, DoA, or whatever.

Xae Isareth.1364

Have to disagree.

First of all, the removal of the dps-tank-healer trinity didnt leave the game with no roles. The devs themselves have always talked about how they focus the game on a new trinity damage-control-support. The only reason why this is just not noticeable (outside of sPvP and, at certain situations, WvW) is because general PvE content in this game is just too easy and dont explore different combat mechanics. “Hard” enemies on GW2 are basically one-hit kill mobs with unlimited HP pool. Thats why most people just go full zerk dps everything, since the only way to survive to those would be to block or dodge the hits anyway.

And the reason they decided to remove the tank-dps-healer trinity was not to do something different just for the sake of being different, but to avoid limitations to playstyle based on the character profession. For example, if we look at GW1, despite their attempt to give each profession at least 2 different possible roles, in the end each one of them was limited to very specific roles and playstyles on PvE end-content. If you were a warrior, you would have to be the tank. Assassin? Perma, right? No? Sorry, bro, no room for you on the party. Basically, each profession ended up having very limited gameplay options despite having all those hundreds of skills available to choose from. If you didnt ping the right build for your profession, you wouldnt even get in a party to do FoW, UW, DoA, or whatever.

I don’t think they wanted to replaces the trinity with a new trinity. It seems they want to give each instance and encounter its own set of roles which any class can fulfill.

Replacing the old trinity with a new trinity wouldn’t progress anywhere. We’d still have LFM x-role queues and we would still have rigid playstyles which you must follow.

Sarabande.8260

Can I roll a guardian and have a “REAL” healer. By that I mean someone who can heal the group on his own accord. I don’t care what I have to do to heal, but can I heal nonetheless?

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

Can I roll a guardian and have a “REAL” healer. By that I mean someone who can heal the group on his own accord. I don’t care what I have to do to heal, but can I heal nonetheless?

yep, guardian heals can be beastly. i run a cleric guard in dungeons and WvW to keep people up, and more importantly give them very long boons and reflects. most people dont know how to play a support guardian, but with 1500+ healing power, you can easily heal your group to full in seconds.

Posted by: Cole Eyre.8471

Cole Eyre.8471

A RL friend of mine who I played with regularly quit over the karma changes. He and I both used the karma we earned instead of hording it. Anyway, when they made that recent change that killed acquisition rates, he quit since that change made earning the karma for shards such a problem that it wasnt fun.

Xae Isareth.1364

yep, guardian heals can be beastly. i run a cleric guard in dungeons and WvW to keep people up, and more importantly give them very long boons and reflects. most people dont know how to play a support guardian, but with 1500+ healing power, you can easily heal your group to full in seconds.

I’m going to try that. I had a guard before but I paid to get her to 80, and just screwed around on her a bit before deleting her. Kinda regretting it now (Unlike WoW I can’t get a deleted toon back, I’ assuming).

Those heals you speak of, being able to “easily heal your group to full in seconds.” Is that sustained? Or can you only do it like once every 30 seconds or so?

The thing is, there’s really no need to heal a group like that. Of the group needs that kind of healing, that group is playing terribly. The only place where that’s needed is in WvW.

The game us designed around each person being mostly self-sufficient.

Posted by: Wemil.7052

Wemil.7052

Im slacking xD

I joined this game with a guild we played for a short while then Anet properly announced they want this to be a casual pve game and they wont focus on the WvW so everyone went back to eve online or now raiding planetside2 and bf4 e sport.

look at the league major lots of pve ppls with no skills at all joined WvW and destroyed it. its sad WvW was made by anet its such a good mode maybe if some more e sports company made it would reach its fullest potential.

‘’there is a game coming out 2016 with that potential’’

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’m going to try that. I had a guard before but I paid to get her to 80, and just screwed around on her a bit before deleting her. Kinda regretting it now (Unlike WoW I can’t get a deleted toon back, I’ assuming).

Those heals you speak of, being able to “easily heal your group to full in seconds.” Is that sustained? Or can you only do it like once every 30 seconds or so?

The thing is, there’s really no need to heal a group like that. Of the group needs that kind of healing, that group is playing terribly. The only place where that’s needed is in WvW.

You’ve never played with my guild! lmao

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

The question is, why can we play as a healer but not as a tank?
I love tanking, but no matter what you do in this game, if you want to tank, you are lost.

Other games have mechanics like:

- threat management (taunts)
- physical blocking of mobs (they can not walk through you)
- aggro as a mechanic in general

You cannot tank, because there is no way to control the mob as you would need to. I love the mechanic that blocks the mob, as it can not walk through player characters (like maybe AoC), it feels realistic. This way, aggro of the mob can be as random as it is, but you can force the mob to attack you.

But no, we have a unholy duality of DD and not needed healers. The evolution of MMOs I say.

Posted by: Valanga.5942

Valanga.5942

They stop, but always return.

Yeah! You’re absolutely right!
No wait, you are not.
But keep dreaming.

Correct me if i’m wrong, but i’ve player WoW since beta and for years after release, and i don’t remember one time when Blizzard tried to sell any “personal story” as strong point for their game.
Nor did a big lot of other MMO’s publishers.
ANet did. They talked about their awesome personal story that would actually impact the in game experience and blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda, with videos, interview and any other hype tool they had.
So i don’t see how comparing GW2 to WoW or any other MMO (expecially the ones not focused on story) could help you prove any point.
And not, GW2 is a step forward on nothing, maybe try The Secret World a little to see how a story driven MMO should work.

Yes, we all know where that went… Still there.
The game is still alive and kickin’, people keep plays it, and Bioware keep releasing actual updates with actual contents.
Just because a game turns F2P doesn’t mean it failed.

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Of all things, the story is the biggest let-down of GW2. Not just the Living Story, which is as entertaining as watching an ice cube melt, but the personal story too.
“This is my story!” And with my story, I mean the first few missions, before everyone becomes the pet of Trahearne.

But hey, I am sure, Scarlet is corrupted by Mordremoth. And one day, after countless more filler releases, whoever is left will see another dragon that will just be ignored.

Posted by: caiomacos.1694

caiomacos.1694

Have to disagree.

I don’t think they wanted to replaces the trinity with a new trinity. It seems they want to give each instance and encounter its own set of roles which any class can fulfill.

Replacing the old trinity with a new trinity wouldn’t progress anywhere. We’d still have LFM x-role queues and we would still have rigid playstyles which you must follow.

Well, those are the categories the devs themselves used to define combat in GW2, as you can see here: http://gw2101.gtm.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/combat/healing-death/

I guess the essential difference is that while healing and tanking (in the original trinity) are very specific, the concept of support and control can be more versatile. Healers only, well, heal, and tanks basically only have to aggro and absorb damage. But there could be (and I guess that was GW2 devs idea) tons of different ways to provide support and control. And these combat roles could be performed by more than one (and why not, all) party members at one point or another. For example, an Ele could use an water skill to provide healing, while a Necro place a mark to remove conditions from allies and transfer them to mobs, a Warrior drop a banner to provide boons to teammates, a Guardian uses a ward to avoid enemies to come closer, and a Mesmer dazes or imobilizes them.

Bottom line is that combat should explore a more dynamic and versatile cooperation in which players assume different roles depending on the situation, instead of the static combat of the tank-dps-healer trinity, in which players have already pre-defined roles based on their classes that never change. Unfortunately, like I mentioned on my previous post, GW2 PvE content hardly require any support or cooperation between players (other than revive when a member gets downed), so most people just focus on dps faceroll everything.

Posted by: Crysys.1297

Crysys.1297

My friends just alerted me about the new fractals patch, and that is why I’ll be leaving. I play MMORPGs for challenging content, and fracs was the only challenging PvE content in the game. As such, I will stop playing.

I think that is an issue for a lot of players: lack of challenging “end-game” content. I have zero interest in exploring the entire map, or doing all the faceroll dungeons, or grinding for a legendary that’s ultimately just a “prettier” ascended, or being 100% zerker because there is no other viable spec. GW2 is a fun, aesthetically appealing game, but it lacks lasting appeal.

Devata.6589

Weren’t you disagreeing with me on that before? Maybe I mix up people but you are right. There is no need for that because the game us designed around each person being mostly self-sufficient.

So no roles (each person being mostly self-sufficient) means no real responsibility, means less team work what makes the game / combat more boring for many people. Also if you do a ‘organized’ run.

Xae Isareth.1364

Weren’t you disagreeing with me on that before? Maybe I mix up people but you are right. There is no need for that because the game us designed around each person being mostly self-sufficient.

So no roles (each person being mostly self-sufficient) means no real responsibility, means less team work what makes the game / combat more boring for many people. Also if you do a ‘organized’ run.

Hmmm, I’ve always supported the view that zerker isn’t the best setup for everything but I’ve never liked the idea of a healer in games, so probably you got the wrong person.

Mostly self-sufficient doesn’t equate to no roles. Just like on a football team, everyone can do everything (apart from the goalkeeper) but it doesn’t mean that no one has roles. It just means that the roles are different from a trinity setup.

Posted by: Judge Banks.9018

Judge Banks.9018

The story was the first thing the I experienced about the game where I said to myself “Wow this is complete $#^! , I can’t believe that’s it.”
However even if we know why it is the way it is, it still doesn’t change the fact that it was disappointing.

At this point I was going to go on a much longer rant about how the music(Which in itself is great!) was poorly presented within the game to evoke any player emotion. Or how ascended gear is garbage design choice that goes against a key principle that they stated in their manifesto. Not even going to bother with the whole cascade of lies they’ve been telling since the announcement of Guild Wars 2.

Then I realized it’s 11:30pm my time, and it’s way to late to give a kitten about developers and their design choices, when they clearly never gave a kitten about me.

Posted by: Moderator.6837

Moderator.6837

Hello,

As this thread has derailed with off-topic comments, it is now closed.

Thank you for your understanding.