Why do some wings come without glider skin?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: dazydee.1509

dazydee.1509

- Saw Glittering Wings in trading post today.
- Liked what I saw
- Wanted to buy Glittering Wings
- Saw that they come without glider skin
- Shook my head and thought “Whyyyy ?”

Come on Anet. Having wings on my toons back replaced with other wings while gliding and then switched back when hitting the ground is just stupid.

Put a glider skin with the wings and take my money!

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

Personally I’m happy that they made the choice not to release butterfly/glittering wings without the glider.

Why? Because the wings themselves are so small that it wouldn’t make sense that they could function as a glider. They barely extend beyond the shoulders and ribcage.

I could understand small glider skins if it made sense that they would actually worked. For example, a small jetpack, or some kind of aetheric powered device/asura tech.

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

Too small, you would crash, and burn.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Posted by: James Quall.6029

James Quall.6029

I don’t think any of the gliders in game are structurally sound for actual use, so why pick and choose for realism when none of them would work? Butterfly wings are small and shouldn’t work, but ridiculous looking angel wings should?

Posted by: Tere.4759

Tere.4759

Why shouldn’t someone be allowed to look like Tinker Bell. I say all wings should have matching gliders.

Guild Leader of The Black Court, we’re small, friendly and active.

Posted by: weskay.9217

weskay.9217

On the subject of realism, none of the wings in this game would actually allow a human to fly let alone glide, so the first few comments are redundant. You would need wings that were about 8 meters (or 26ish feet) across (from left to right) to be able to glide. To actually fly, you would have to have wings that were much, much bigger. Just think of those hang gliders; they’re large for a reason.

So in the end, I say why not make the wing-like backpieces a glider? It allows for a lot more customization for a game that already has a ton of it.

www.vanquishing.enjin.com

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Just make ‘m flap harder, the glittering wings backpack could make a nice buzzing sound like a dragonfly and the buttrfly backpack should flap like crazy like a butterfly, just don’t make our glidepathc all eratic.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Because the “surprise” with the feather wings was that they were also glider skins. Those who bought them before HoT launched got “rewarded” even though we weren’t, it certainly felt like it. And the bat wings were also large enough to pass as a “glider”. The butterfly and crystal “wings”, not so much.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Glass Hand.7306

Glass Hand.7306

Well people in wing suits glide, so the GW2 wings are plenty large enough to give some gliding motion. What is not exactly realistic is the speed and angle of attack.

Of course this is a magical realm where other physics are pretty weird too, like the ability to change direction mid-jump without doing something like firing off a hand rocket mid-air, so I think GW2 wings are actually much more realistic than some of the other things that happen in this game.

dazydee.1509

“I could understand small glider skins if it made sense that they would actually worked. For example, a small jetpack, or some kind of aetheric powered device/asura tech.”

I am totally for the Spinal Blade Pack (it flew up to Scarlet at least) or the flying carpet (duh) to get a gliding skin like the feather wings.

Fairy wings I always assumed as magic rather than physically feasible (even Tinkerbell cannot fly solely with her wings).

Posted by: VaLee.5102

VaLee.5102

Because it’s less work for the same money. Simple as that.

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

I would not really want the glittering backpack as it is as a glider… but I would love sometihng in the style which was larger (like current gliders) because well… it would look stupid with how small butterfly wings and glittering wings are.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

Posted by: Samnang.1879

Samnang.1879

The butterfly wings aren’t big enough to glide… /anet logic

Please nerf bag types instead of class skills!

dazydee.1509

“…it would look stupid with how small butterfly wings and glittering wings are.”

Not as stupid as wood and fabric popping out of ones back…

But I do think the optimal would be (and even pay extra) when the glittering wings would spawn some kind of additional ethereal wings while gliding (like the dreamthistle weapons that spawn their misty blades only when drawn)