Why do they HAVE to role play in public?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

I have always been puzzled by some role players and believe me I have done a lot of roleplaying in my lifetime in many, many games. To me the essence of good role play is to leave the person behind the keyboard there and let the character live and breathe on their own. Once you allow the person behind the keyboard the ability to project his or her feelings into the character and thus into the game then it is no longer true role play and where it involves explicit sexuality it ends up being more voyeurism then role play. If you (the person behind the keys) are getting “heated” role playing a character in a computer game then you are not really role playing.

In one game, on a dedicated RP server I had multiple characters, each with his own personality. I was so adept at keeping my characters separate from each other and from myself that I was getting whispers asking why I allowed one of my other characters ( that kitten as he was called) to be in our guild as he was an arrogant, self centered kitten whereas the majority of the rest of our guild were really nice people. The thing is he was meant to be that.

Good screen actors can make you believe that they are the character they are portraying from film to film to film because they let the characters have their own lives and feelings and do not project theirs onto them.

Theftwind (HoD)

(edited by Theftwind.8976)

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I stumbled into some at Hoelbrak the other day. No idea what they were talking about, but it fascinating to see them engaged in what they were doing. I don’t RP and have no intrest in RP, however I sat there for maybe 10mins observing them and how they played and it occured to me that RPers have the potential to really enhance the Living World concept.

Frankly they should be encouraged and supported in my opinion

Posted by: niea.7504

niea.7504

If Lord Faren can run around half naked doing God knows what, why can’t these people?

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Why is it that every time I find a thread or post that’s really out there, it’s from someone with no post history?

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

I am sick of loading into Southsun south waypoint, to have a wall of gray text hit me by role players.

The role players get ‘naked’ on the beach there, and role play their fantasies or whatever – and I do not want to read that!

They use the /me command, and spam whatever they want.

Why can’t they do it in private? I do not want to read about where the sand gets, or how much they want to kiss, or do many other things, that I think should be done in private.

They have whisper, party, and guild channels, – why do they HAVE to use a public channel for their cyber role play, it’s just rude!

I know I can take off emotes in the game, but then I’d miss my friends waving at me, and I don’t see why I should have to do that.

I know I can block the offending players, but there are so many of them, and I can’t spell some of their names, as I’d have to concentrate and read their role play to read their names, and I don’t want to do that. I could go and stand on the beach to click and block, but not all of them are there (some hide in a hut or on a ship), and why should I have to take time out to block even more players (I have 40 blocked atm, and there were another 7 there today).

I have no problem at all with players wanting to role play – what I’m saying is, can you just do it in private please, as I don’t want my chat window filled with unwanted spam.

There are 2 solutions I can think of, and I’m going to ask that Arenanet consider these:

1. Make a map wide role play chat channel, that players can choose to turn off (not the emotes channel).

2. Make a role play island. Have varied stages/places/habitats there, and have props eg chairs etc that role players can use. Then they can all have fun role playing and doing whatever they want, and regular players don’t have to read their walls of text.

Players use the /me emote because it allows for unique emotes, even if you add a “roleplay char channel” they will still use this. There’s no helping it.

If you don’t want to see their emotes, simply turn off your emote chat channel.

It would be nice if the emote chat channel’s range was shortened to the same range as /say, however.

They do use party – when they’re in a party. They use squad too – when they’re in a squad. But this doesn’t work for random meetups or very large public events, so they won’t be able to do such all the time. But roleplayers do try to isolate themselves when they can – but as said in this thread already, ArenaNet has been continuously trying to put players together, and don’t seem to care that people like a RP/non-RP separation (on both sides people like such).

Your second idea would not work either, as roleplayers will roleplay where they want – you cannot isolate them to a single location in the game.

The only suggestion that would work in ‘isolating’ roleplayers would be to make a cross NA/EU server dedicated for roleplayers that doesn’t join megaservers, and give a (limited time?) free transfer to there.

But in all honesty, why should roleplayers be isolated in a Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game?

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

If Lord Faren can run around half naked doing God knows what, why can’t these people?

Lord Faren is a computer construct and has his reasons for running around half naked. If you role play a character in the game running around half naked then the reason should be valid as to why that character is doing such a thing. The character’s life story, background, personality, good and bad quirks all have to validate his actions. If they do not or cannot validate such an action then I maintain that you are not role playing a character but rather giving yourself a venue to display your own life story, background, personality and good and bad quirks. At that point it is no longer role playing is it?

Theftwind (HoD)

Posted by: Keysha.2815

Keysha.2815

I find the roleplayers I come across to be generally much less annoying than the emote spam of /me laughs @… repeated 42 times back to back. I see that a LOT. Especially in LA.

That being said. If the RP is tipping too far in general chat to ERP, then screenshot it and send a report. Then block the player or close the channel.

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

what do you do when you see the wierd and stupid map chat, turn it off

rp’ers are kinda wierd to me, but they not hurting anyone or being offensive, keep emote chat off, and no problem. Have fun

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

I have always been puzzled by some role players and believe me I have done a lot of roleplaying in my lifetime in many, many games. To me the essence of good role play is to leave the person behind the keyboard there and let the character live and breathe on their own. Once you allow the person behind the keyboard the ability to project his or her feelings into the character and thus into the game then it is no longer true role play and where it involves explicit sexuality it ends up being more voyeurism then role play. If you (the person behind the keys) are getting “heated” role playing a character in a computer game then you are not really role playing.

In one game, on a dedicated RP server I had multiple characters, each with his own personality. I was so adept at keeping my characters separate from each other and from myself that I was getting whispers asking why I allowed one of my other characters ( that kitten as he was called) to be in our guild as he was an arrogant, self centered kitten whereas the majority of the rest of our guild were really nice people. The thing is he was meant to be that.

Good screen actors can make you believe that they are the character they are portraying from film to film to film because they let the characters have their own lives and feelings and do not project theirs onto them.

You make it sound like people shouldn’t have any or show any emotions at all towards their roleplaying and stories, and should just sit there like robots with set script and set emotions at all times.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

This is why devs will never get it right. They do not understand roleplayers at all, so they never develop RP tools and settings for them. It’s not just GW2, but the genre as a whole.

I don’t even roleplay, but i at least recognize what they need.

Perhaps “the genre as a whole” prioritizes things similarly, where tools designed for the majority of players take precedence over those designed for a relatively small segment of a game’s population. For while we value our RP players, I believe that the majority of tools and features are designed for significantly larger numbers of players.

But in all honesty, why should roleplayers be isolated in a Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game?

This says things pretty clearly. Thanks. I think the topic has been addressed, suggestions made (thank you!), and positions stated so I will flag this for review and closure now.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet