Why do we fight gods that we aligned with?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Doflamingo.6957

Doflamingo.6957

When we create our characters we align ourselves to one of the gods, i specific was aligned with Balthazar before i even knew what he was so if we kill him or whatever doesn’t it mess up with the character’s alignment or something? They are supposed to be immortal and part of our character’s powers.

Posted by: Lokki.1092

Lokki.1092

I’ve decided my character who is also a devout of Balthazar, sees this as a test from his god. Perhaps the ultimate test. “You call yourself a hardened soldier, defeat me!” Is what the god seems to be saying.

Of course Balthazar is a war hungry fire Lord of destruction. So, so far he is right in line with what I would imagine him to be… Though I always assumed that his minions would be humans. Or at least human looking firedemon things. He’s human after all, and a human god.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Balthazar is apparently being naughty. Being aligned to him is a matter of religious observance rather than a real tie, and characters who are so aligned gain no benefit.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Charr have no gods. And the humans are about to have one less.
}]:3

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

The question is the reverse:
Why do Balthazar fights humans that were aligned with him?

For my part, I’ve always been oriented towards the Dynamic aspect of the Ethernal Alchemy. For me is very logical to fight against silly over the magical standard humans.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: grifflyman.8102

grifflyman.8102

My speculation is that it’s not really him. Maybe it’s his brother. Think Loki.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

My speculation is that it’s not really him. Maybe it’s his brother. Think Loki.

Or maybe it’s still Lyssa!
D:

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

People align themselves with a spiritual understanding of the gods. The Balthazar we see in the story has diverged from that path.

It’s a similar idea to being able to be a patriot of your country without supporting its government or being a Catholic while fighting a war against a pope’s representatives.

Tyrian gods aren’t omnipotent, omniscient, or infallible the way some western representation of deities are. They are simply beings of relatively extraordinary power compare to the sentient species of the planet.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

People align themselves with a spiritual understanding of the gods. The Balthazar we see in the story has diverged from that path.

It’s a similar idea to being able to be a patriot of your country without supporting its government or being a Catholic while fighting a war against a pope’s representatives.

Tyrian gods aren’t omnipotent, omniscient, or infallible the way some western representation of deities are. They are simply beings of relatively extraordinary power compare to the sentient species of the planet.

according to lore, they created tyria and all that is on it.
the book is in the box of GW prophecies.

Posted by: KryTiKaL.3125

KryTiKaL.3125

Actually that is untrue. It was believed that the six gods created Tyria while they lived on it. However the truth is that yes while they did live upon Tyria at one point they did not create it, they brought humans to Tyria. That is what sparked the Charr to initially lose the homeland that they had taken from the Grawl. Ascalon was never initially human lands, it was once Grawl and then Charr and then the humans took it.

Here are sources for you:
https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Gods_of_Tyria
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Six_Human_Gods

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

You worshiped a God of War and expect peace?

But in reality, sometimes reality is much harsher.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

Well, basically we decided to be atheist so screw gods. Who need them when we can seek out eternal alchemy.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

He’s human after all, and a human god.

Actually, we don’t know that to be certain. The only of the six that we know was once human is Komir. Grenth, before usurping Dhuum was a demi-god, the half human son of Dwayne. Outside of those two we know jack about the origins of the other four.

Hate is Fuel.

Posted by: Shinzan.2908

Shinzan.2908

They are not immortal, we killed a god back in GW1 – and the magic we use is a part of Tyria, the human gods harnessed it but they are not in charge of it.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

When we create our characters we align ourselves to one of the gods, i specific was aligned with Balthazar before i even knew what he was so if we kill him or whatever doesn’t it mess up with the character’s alignment or something? They are supposed to be immortal and part of our character’s powers.

Yeah it’s kinda wacky for me. I’d rather fight with Balthazar as opposed to stop him, but I’m not given that choice.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Beside the citations above, there are a lot of things that Tyrians have believed that aren’t necessarily true. The lore of the non-human races has a very different take on things.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Kako.1930

Kako.1930

Balthazar has betrayed Tyria and the humans that worshipped him. He doesn’t care about them anymore, so Tyrians are going to fight for their world and their lives, even the humans who once worshipped him. Those who worshipped him may even seek vengeance for their betrayal.

Posted by: Dreossk.5938

Dreossk.5938

How does the god knows you’re aligned with him? Did you ever do something remotely related to that alignment?

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Humans will have no god either if both the PC and Balthazar are successful

Posted by: vonbladewing.5973

vonbladewing.5973

Let me ask this question, What is a God?

To me the so called human gods don’t seem like gods but more like really powerfully wizards that leach of the world energy to keep them alive and powerful like the elder dragons.

Captain Commander of a Sky Edge Piracy

Posted by: Lokki.1092

Lokki.1092

How does the god knows you’re aligned with him? Did you ever do something remotely related to that alignment?

I always liked the idea that the gods gained power based on worship, whether that worship comes from fear or love is irrelevant. People worshiping them gives them power so they are just as invested in the relationship as the worshipers.

Though this is more of a D&D idea. Nothing from GW2 seems to hint at that.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Every time one of the six gods falls they are replaced (Dhuum/Abaddon), so nope.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Manimarco Devil.1790

Manimarco Devil.1790

Yea, this could have been a way for anet to reintroduce factions like Luxons vs Kurzicks. I’d rather fight for Balthazar or Dhuum than against them.

Battlelord Taeres

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

There’s nothing better than punching a god in the nose.