Why do we have 5 races

Why do we have 5 races

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: WarKeG.1753

WarKeG.1753

im just wondering why we have the choice of 5 races when anet only makes armor and outfits for humans. like every single outfit fits and looks best on human and the other 4 races clip and look stupid.

Why do we have 5 races

Posted by: Mourningcry.9428

Mourningcry.9428

Because opinions vary.

Why do we have 5 races

Posted by: nSan.4251

nSan.4251

Because opinions vary.

Best non-trolling answer you’ll ever get.

Why do we have 5 races

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

Because Anet is mostly comprised of human employees (I don’t know, maybe there’s a goldfish or a cat at their office?), they probably work best when making clothing and armor that is human shaped. Since it would be stupid expensive to make each armor set individually for every race, they made two of the races human shaped and just stretch the models over the other two. While it would look better in the long run if individual models were made from scratch for every race for every armors set instead of copy-pasta / creative stretching-editing, not many of us would want to pay 50 dollars every time a new outfit or armor set was released.

Why do we have 5 races

Posted by: Darkness Commander.6417

Darkness Commander.6417

Look at the awesume dance moves of the races: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLImXnIe_4nANgub6RGM_7Zt1CbqZg8L-c

Mayby you will be convinced when you see it:)

Guild: Darkness Death Dealers
Server: Blacktide
Youtube: http://bit.ly/1K1BQIC

Why do we have 5 races

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

I think humans make up the bulk of the playerbase or norns

Why do we have 5 races

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Because human are the default model and the other’s armors are then modified to fit

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Why do we have 5 races

Darkness Commander.6417

What do you think is the most playable race (after human)?

Why do we have 5 races

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Some armor combinations look better on norn than on human imho .. not all
but some.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Why do we have 5 races

Posted by: Oreithyia.3064

Oreithyia.3064

I’d still love more race-specific armor…especially for charr and asura.
you could do so much awesome stuff with asuran armors and a lot of the human helmets just don’t look very comfortable an asuran heads. those big ears are important for the design of the asura in my opnion and squeezing them like that can’t feel nice.

(edited by Oreithyia.3064)

Why do we have 5 races

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

Some sylvari cultural armor would look great on humans yet they can’t have it. Outrageous.

Why do we have 5 races

Darkness Commander.6417

I like the asura (Zojja) cultural armor alot!

Why do we have 5 races

Posted by: tenklo.6104

tenklo.6104

Nobody will say what’s really on there mind about y human are most popular by us….its the boobs…..think about it…if char and asura had them all of us which have weird taste would love them even more…least fan art gives them justice

Why do we have 5 races

Posted by: July.5361

July.5361

What we really need is, all armor and weapon skins to be cultural and class specific instead to copy paste the same ugly kitten all over again for different price.

Why do we have 5 races

Posted by: Basandra Skye.4031

Basandra Skye.4031

Some sylvari cultural armor would look great on humans yet they can’t have it. Outrageous.

Try asking the inquest to make you some sorta human-plant hybrid. Maybe then you’d be able to grow sylvari cultural armor like sylvari do.

Why do we have 5 races

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

That’s not true, no matter what mix-n-match I get for my sylvari characters, they look amazing (“real” clothes, not leaves). Also, my sylvari have different colours everywhere on their bodies and I don’t use the same dye twice! I enjoy being colourful, humans are boring and dull.

Why do we have 5 races

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

It’s a business decision, but it does make look ANet look bad. They simply can’t justify the cost, but it’s a virtual slap in the face to those who want their non human/norn sylvari character to look better.

Charr/Asura armor needs more attention, end of story (true) vs ANet won’t spend the money because it’s not a business priority for them to do so.

Why do we have 5 races

Darkness Commander.6417

True, everybody has a different opinion and prefers a race, fact is humans are mainstream, sylvari/asura are alternative:)

Why do we have 5 races

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I’ve never felt like I had a hard time making a good looking armor set for my charr characters. Sure I can’t always use the exact same pieces I’d pick for a human or norn but I don’t see that as an issue.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Why do we have 5 races

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

I’ve never felt like I had a hard time making a good looking armor set for my charr characters. Sure I can’t always use the exact same pieces I’d pick for a human or norn but I don’t see that as an issue.

You have horrible taste. It’s as simple as that.

… I still want tengu.

Why do we have 5 races

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I am pretty sure that humans make up all of the playerbase. : )

Why do we have 5 races

Posted by: Klinch.2964

Klinch.2964

Anet screwed up from the get go. In the book that came with collectors edition, they mention that it would be a huge task to design different armor for each profession, so they took the easy way and split it into small, medium, and heavy armor… Fine, I can live with that shortcut

THEN, they threw that out the window! Now it is just one armor fits all. Its a very lazy way to spit out more armor for people to buy. Yeah, there are a couple armor sets that are still restricted, but the damage is done. There is no way by just looking at someone, that you can tell what profession they are playing.

Yeah, some people like how they can look like anything, cool. I don’t, and that is one of my bigger sorrows about this game

Why do we have 5 races

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Anet screwed up from the get go. In the book that came with collectors edition, they mention that it would be a huge task to design different armor for each profession, so they took the easy way and split it into small, medium, and heavy armor… Fine, I can live with that shortcut

THEN, they threw that out the window! Now it is just one armor fits all. Its a very lazy way to spit out more armor for people to buy. Yeah, there are a couple armor sets that are still restricted, but the damage is done. There is no way by just looking at someone, that you can tell what profession they are playing.

Yeah, some people like how they can look like anything, cool. I don’t, and that is one of my bigger sorrows about this game

When did they scrap light, heavy and medium armor? I must have missed that one. I was looking at different armor sets for one of my characters today and the heavy and medium armor still said it couldn’t be used because of her profession.

Oh wait, you mean the 24 outfits don’t you? Aka town clothes? Since it appears all 171 armor sets are still split into light, medium and heavy.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Why do we have 5 races

Posted by: Klinch.2964

Klinch.2964

When did they scrap light, heavy and medium armor? I must have missed that one. I was looking at different armor sets for one of my characters today and the heavy and medium armor still said it couldn’t be used because of her profession.

Oh wait, you mean the 24 outfits don’t you? Aka town clothes? Since it appears all 171 armor sets are still split into light, medium and heavy.

Yes, outfits… and I’m talking about new head pieces, gauntles, and other armor pieces that are available to all armor types… if you REALLY want me to give you an example of one of many:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Horns_of_the_Dragon_Skin

Why do we have 5 races

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Its realty hard for humans to rethink things beyond the human form i mean if you have no hands how do you use a sword think on thoughts lines. If any thing out of most games GW2 races are far more different from human then say ES games where you are just a human re-skinned over and over.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Why do we have 5 races

Posted by: skowcia.8257

skowcia.8257

The most fun thing is that people ask for new race – tengu. Like..what? Charr clipping issues are not enough for you guys? Charr and Tengu are pretty much the same in body shape so even if the release them one day, be prepared for the same clipping issues which charr suffer from.

obey me

Why do we have 5 races

Hammerguard.9834

If tengu were in the game Anet would have more incentive to do better with their armor, though. I’d also like to mention that the thing I want most out of this game is to be able to play as tengu and explore their starter zones. Sad that this expansion isn’t giving me that. Second is fixing/better armor for non-human races. Why should I suffer cause most players are boring and dull?

… I still want tengu.

Why do we have 5 races

Posted by: Altair.8402

Altair.8402

Because they chose to spend their resources elsewhere.

Why do we have 5 races

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

I am pretty sure that humans make up all of the playerbase. : )

What about the otherkins? :P

If tengu were in the game Anet would have more incentive to do better with their armor, though.

Depends on how popular they would be.

Why do we have 5 races

Posted by: Sonickeyblade.8415

Sonickeyblade.8415

In every game with this issue this argument comes up.

And in every game with this issue Humans (or whatever name they use) is the most played and most popular race. Only one other race normally beats Humans and races that are humans in all but name:

Elves. Elves top Humans in the games that they are in. The less “human like” the race, the less it is likely to be played. Add in races with male only genders and you just hit rock bottom.

That is a fact that most gamers should know when not only playing an MMO, but ANY game with character customization. The more “human” the character, the more popular it is. If the human/elf like option has a female option; there will be more females than males. Then comes the alien races with similar human features and then alien races that look the same no matter what the gender. At the bottom will be the male only alien races.

Why that is? I won’t claim to know the answer. But that is just how it is. That’s how it is in WoW and even Elder Scrolls Online… SWToR, TERA and even “non traditional” MMO games like Phantasy Star and Dragonball Xenoverse.

Why do we have 5 races

Posted by: skowcia.8257

skowcia.8257

If tengu were in the game Anet would have more incentive to do better with their armor, though. I’d also like to mention that the thing I want most out of this game is to be able to play as tengu and explore their starter zones. Sad that this expansion isn’t giving me that. Second is fixing/better armor for non-human races. Why should I suffer cause most players are boring and dull?

Can you imagine that rage from charr players? I know i would rage for sure. Charr is the least played race, but why? Their armors are terrible since launch, everyone want to looks pretty so they pick up safe bet – human. Are they really surprised at this point?
To make charr more popular you have to fix their armors. Not to mention that there was A LOT of charr players at launch, most of these people stopped playing them once they noticed how terrible the armors are on a charr.

Its a endless circle really;

AN refuse to make a proper armors for charr due to low popularity>players refuse to play charr with horrible armors hence low popularity>AN refuse to make a proper armors for charr due to low popularity….

As a charr/asura youre pretty much a second citizen. If there are any problems with clipping issues on human race, its getting fixed asap. If tengu get released with a proper armours, charr race will die completely as nobody will bother with them anymore.

Its getting even funnier when you see them releasing nearly completely different sets for male/female. They have resources for that, but obviously they dont have them to fix charr/asura armors.

obey me

Why do we have 5 races

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

I feel bad for the Charr race not being more popular-there’ are many ways to make them look interesting, and lack of proper armor choice is a factual con. You can make some beautiful looking (whatever that word means to you) Charr, marred only by the frequent clipping or odd fitting armor (I particularly hate horn-deleting head armor.)

I like the female voice acting for Charr too. A wonderful character creation option that should be explored by more players.

I agree it’s a problem, I just don’t think ANet cares (or if they do, they know it won’t make their limited budget.) I don’t think “but humans is what most people play” is a good excuse, but it is what it is, for better or (mostly) worse.

Why do we have 5 races

Posted by: dobri.7820

dobri.7820

What?
we do have only 3 races:

asura
charr
and
humans / Humans, BIG Humans and Green Humans/

Why do we have 5 races

Posted by: L Step.8659

L Step.8659

It is sad for people who like playing asura/charr. It’s just less work for Anet though when they can make same male/female outfits for them and just focus on humanoid clipping issues.

Asura/Charr still master race though.

ReRolled [Re] GvG Hero/Wannabe

Best NA rallybot on EU

Why do we have 5 races

Hammerguard.9834

@skowcia, the point I was making is that, yes, tengu do have similar body types to charr and because of that the armor for charr and tengu would both probably improve. Not just improve for tengu. Their similar body types mean they’re using similar armor models. With more races suffering from armor issues, Anet would feel inclined to fix it.

… I still want tengu.

Why do we have 5 races

Posted by: Scolix.4879

Scolix.4879

Because i find humans boring i enjoy playing as Charr why would i play as a human when i have to deal with humans in real life all the time.

I just hate that in any game all the effort always goes to either human races or elf races and then developers wonder why nobody plays rest of the races that are left out or neglected entirely see all the clipping and blurry armor on charr characters and in elder scrolls all the clipping on khajiit and argonians and the list goes on.

(edited by Scolix.4879)

Why do we have 5 races

Darkness Commander.6417

You dont have to play human, its your own choice what you play. On the other hand Anet should make some better fitting/looking armor for the other races also.

Why do we have 5 races

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

It is sad for people who like playing asura/charr. It’s just less work for Anet though when they can make same male/female outfits for them and just focus on humanoid clipping issues.

Asura/Charr still master race though.

Except they STILL run into the same problem with clipping with the Outfits. Anything that isn’t plain shirt and pants clips into one or more other pieces of equipment held by the player. Back items have had this problem since forever, and is probably why they didn’t have Capes from the on-set; despite it being the single most desired cosmetic item following its significance in GW1.

The problem is the animations and mesh work have been done almost in complete isolation of each other. If any real planning on the subject was done, it should had addressed clipping with the Starter personal gear; which is among the worst offenders when it comes to clipping. This means the costume designers are only using standing models as guide lines, and no QA checks are being done to make sure they’re compatible with animations that have existed since beta.

Why do we have 5 races

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

I consider humans boring. There are what? Nearly 7 billion of us in real life? For a fantasy world I want it to BE a fantasy: anything but human.

I have one human character. Only because I designed her to look like a human NPC (Sya).

Why do we have 5 races

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

I have plenty of good looking Norn and Asura armors. Sylvari look nothing like humans, is there a real discussion here? Other than every possible Charr footwear looking the same what’s the problem?

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

Why do we have 5 races

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Sylvari are by far the most complex and interesting to build up. Their build is almost human-like. Additionally they have a rather complex colour scheme with their glow and the fact that Sylvari armor adopts the colours of your body.

So, to specify the OPs statement: Humans, Sylvari and Norn aren’t affected ‘by bad armor design’. Imho they do a good job overall. The constant complaints about ridiculous nitpicking clipping finds makes me angry.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Why do we have 5 races

Darkness Commander.6417

Any more thoughts about the races?

Why do we have 5 races

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

Asura and Charr by far is the least played race for me.

I don’t play Asura because they are too “Cute” for my taste.

I don’t play Charr because their 4 legs running animation looks too “slow”.

Actually the mentioned armor issue, like clipping tails and such never really bordering me. But I hope we do get a permanent 2 leg run option for Charr and i will happily play another Charr character.

Why do we have 5 races

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Because humans are inferior.

Asura and sylvari are the master races!

Why do we have 5 races

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

I know right, there needs to be 6 or a removal of 1 of them.

I vote Kodan or removal of Norn.

Why do we have 5 races

Posted by: Artanis.4963

Artanis.4963

Nobody will say what’s really on there mind about y human are most popular by us….its the boobs…..think about it…if char and asura had them all of us which have weird taste would love them even more…least fan art gives them justice

Eww no.

Don’t paste breasts onto nonhuman races for such a shallow reason as to make them more attractive to humans.

Why do we have 5 races

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

the reason why most skins look bad in some parts is so that when legendary armor comes out, the legendary armor looks the best in sea of mediocrity

Why do we have 5 races

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

So everyone gets a bye and doesn’t have to race every week.

Why do we have 5 races

Darkness Commander.6417

No dont remove the Norns, they are awesume, only their dance is a little bit strange:(