Why do we promote this behavior? Nevermore IV [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: zeonozero.5860

zeonozero.5860

This has been said multiple times already, for multiple legionaries, but I’ll just add my story as well
Say chat says it all. Thanks Anet for making this collection a “legendary” journey
(Need certain events to fail to spawn new events, which is needed for the collection, but failing an event is a lot harder than it seems)
http://i.imgur.com/xAH3NBZ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/MkFxGHv.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/qFvVxNO.jpg

Charr Ele ftw

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Hawken son of Z.1367

Hawken son of Z.1367

Plain and simple, why is nevermore III basically easy as spamming hundred blades and astralaria III is like trying to equipt a short bow on a mesmer??

I can understand some inconsistencies, but look at these two collections! Its like the legendary team had 0 communication between legendaries, their costs, their time gates, and their difficulties. Seriously. What the heck? Anet? For those who don’t know the differences, check the wiki, its pretty bad lol. Nevermore III u basically hunt down spirit after spirit and need some quartz, astralaria III, u need tons of charged quartz, tons of other content other than “finding” spirits, more crafting is needed, more HoT currencies are needed. Its a bad joke with no punch line.

Posted by: Khyan.7039

Khyan.7039

Lmao. This system is broken. New players do just their job and these crying baby want their precu. Thanks for the laugh.

I hope it will be fixed though.

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

I really don’t understand what’s going on there except a couple of players seem to be screaming (and reporting?) someone for killing a mob that player needs to complete an event (and thus playing perfectly within his/her rights), simply to force the vent to fail.

I see no attempt to explain why those screaming want the event to fail so … hmmmm.

[edit]

I also don’t see why the player who’s trying to get the rewards for completing the event is less important than those wanting the shinies from making it fail. Why SHOULD that other play lose out simply to give those screaming at him some phat lewt?

(edited by Kraggy.4169)

Posted by: Khyan.7039

Khyan.7039

I really don’t understand what’s going on there except a couple of players seem to be screaming (and reporting?) someone for killing a mob that player needs to complete an event (and thus playing perfectly within his/her rights), simply to force the vent to fail.

I see no attempt to explain why those screaming want the event to fail so … hmmmm.

“don’t play like you want!! am a special snowflake and want my precu now, report you, troll!!”

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

The problem is “the right thing” is to work to make sure that events succeed. But Anet has in several situations made an alternate “the right thing”, where you need an event to fail – to progress, get a better reward, get an achievement, etc… This is wrong in more than one way. It pits players against each other, and it rewards failure. It’s bad design, and has generated a lot of toxicity. And yet they keep doing it. Why?!?

(edited by Elden Arnaas.4870)

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

This is why when your acc gets hacked or, anything important really worth reporting happens it takes them weeks or months because of this kind of stupid reports they need to filter. And then people qq Anet doesn’t take them srsly.

Posted by: piza.9310

piza.9310

Yeah, it isn’t a very good system. It’s bringing a lot of toxic behaviour to new player areas and it’s also punishing people for doing something good… What they could do is adding certain mechanics to an event to steer it into a certain direction.

For example:
You need to guide a bunch of dolyaks. You could do this the normal way but if people are exploring around a bit they find out that on a cliff you can push a rock to block the passage. This would in turn not make the event fail but rather make it take a different direction. People would need to clear the rocks to make a rock monster spawn which they need for their precursor.

The hard part could be that you need to find out how it works but this could also be it’s downfall for making it to easy to get the stuff. They could however turn this into a chain of events where you need to trigger certain things at different events to make certain things happen. Almost the same idea but players have more control instead of what we have right now.

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

They could have put the trolling even further and have one of the collections require the success of the same event.

That would have been fun. Two groups of players, trying to work against each other in bloody (yet non-combative) competition.

(Consensual) open world PvP confirmed!

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Akachi.1352

Akachi.1352

They could have put the trolling even further and have one of the collections require the success of the same event.

That would have been fun. Two groups of players, trying to work against each other in bloody (yet non-combative) competition.

Calm down there Satan

Posted by: Rain.9213

Rain.9213

Calm down there Satan

LOL. I hope my Flameseeker Prophecies precursor doesnt have that crap >.>

Posted by: BinkyofFuraffinity.4629

BinkyofFuraffinity.4629

I am one of those in the pictures. And for those of you here calling us " LOL crybabies" for wanting our precursor, i’ll state this:

Some of us have been on this map for HOURS. —HOURS--. Some have even been trying for days! Some have even had to PAY people not to attack the veterans, waiting for these events to fail. Yes. Fail. On purpose. Because that is how anet designed this part of the collection for Nevermore IV.

And for those who were not there, like some of those here in the comments shaming us for telling people to stop killing the veterans, and calling out people who admitted to us in/say they were trolling on purpose for “the lolz” we have been having to deal with trolls for -DAYS- trying to get these precursors finished that we’ve spent a lot of time working on and gold. We had about 20 or 22 max people there tonight ALL trying to get the ONE item required for the collection, and that one item requires FAILURE of the events.

Shaming us here on the forums for trying to get a precursor finished, that we’ve spent days on? For asking people to stop even if it has to be yelled and shouted? We were asking for hours upon hours nicely and politely for others to stop, we spent time sitting down with some of the new players even explaining the event and the progress of the collections. Alot of new players and F2P players joined us TRYING to help us get that one item. These players, bless them ,were so kind and apologies went out to everyone; both sides apologized. We who are trying to complete nevermore apologized to the new players just trying to complete maps, and they apologized for not knowing we were trying to do an event that should not be needed to fail to progress in the first place. And how are they suppose to know that the event needs to fail for the collection to be finished? It isnt their faults! THESE players i was glad to meet and speak to, new and veteran players, who worked together.

However, this is a FLAWED and BROKEN system! Whether you support Anet or not, this is flawed design. NONE of us tonight got the item we need, and its the last one we need for alot of us. You need to fail the events to spawn other events which the items are locked behind. And its not just us, there are entire forum topics & reddit posts talking about this event in particular. A lot of people are displeased, not just us.

And one more thing, we had people deliberately “trolling” or “griefing” whatever you want to call it. And you know what else isn’t fair? That these people, some of them openly admitting to trolling us to prevent progress, are allowed to hide behind the facade that “oh, well i am just playing the game AS ITS INTENDED”. One person even told us that they “couldnt see /say chat LOOOL” despite talking to us the entire time in say chat, and dancing on the dead body of the veteran, and us being RIGHT THERE next to them, with GIANT WORD BUBBLES saying “please stop! PLEASE STOP! :C”

At the very least, some new players asked us what was going on and joined in on trying to help us. Infact, after about 3 hours and 20 minutes we succeeded the event and guess what? We got nothing. We got no reward. The reward we needed for the event, the final one, was not given to us. All our hours of attempts and stress and those who are crafting the final partof Nevermore and even new players who helped us, we got NOTHING. We were all disappointed, exhausted, and tired, and the gang dispersed and left :\

Before you start going “LEL WHINY BABIES WANT PRECURSORS WAAA” put yourself in the shoes of the individuals trying to complete this final step of they’re legendary they worked so hard on, only to be stopped by griefers and an event that NEEDS TO FAIL for YOU THE PLAYER TO SUCCEED. Though from the attitude of people on the forums ive seen, seems like there is no sympathy or relate-ability, just insults being slung all over. So i do not expect anyone to “walk in our shoes”.

This community has become so toxic, and the forums are a justifiable example of this toxicity. I am not a “self entitled elitist” player trying to walk all over new players. Nor am i a whiny baby, and neither is anyone else who has tried to do these broken events and ended up miserable and disappointed at the scenario. Anet needs to fix this, immediately. Because despite it working as intended in terms of events, your progress can be easily halted and stopped by trolls in the area doing it on purpose or if the new player happens along and completes the event. At least for the new players, they’re new. Some in the group were verbally very angry, but some others like myself tried to explain the events to people. I made a few new friends , most of them new players infact, from tonight so i got that going for me.

If you want to dispute anything i said, please feel free. But all i expect from these forums are malice filled responses and the “LEL CRYBABIES” as usual. Proceed

(edited by BinkyofFuraffinity.4629)

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

If you want to dispute anything i said, please feel free. But all i expect from these forums are malice filled responses and the “LEL CRYBABIES” as usual. Proceed

The screenshots simply show you (or one of those wanting the event to fail) shouting at other players for doing something they have a perfect right to do.

You also didn’t answer my point about why you and your group are more important than those you were shouting at and why YOUR wants should take precedence over theirs.

Your long post may be true, but the evidence the OP presented paints an entirely different picture, hence the reply I gave and no doubt the others too.

I totally get the point that requiring an event to fail to get a shiny is BAD DESIGN, but you should be shouting and screaming at ANET not other players playing the game as presented.

Also, on most other MMO forums I post on ‘name and shame’ images aren’t allowed, so posting images of those other players could be construed as inciting people to harass them.

(edited by Kraggy.4169)

Posted by: Miss Lana Too.5794

Miss Lana Too.5794

I understand being frustrated because of an event that won’t spawn or bugs out for precursor collections (the Minstrel is driving me mad because players can’t do Tootsie since the break bar has been introduced), but nowhere in those pictures do I see anyone explaining why they want the person “griefing” to stop.

They may not intentionally be griefing. They may not know English. They may not even have chat on (I know I don’t most of the time).

All I know is that Anet have made changes to ensure people didn’t express this kind of behaviour to fail events, yet they introduced collections that NEED people to fail events to complete? Like seriously, get your kitten together. That’s the big thing that puzzles – and enfuriates – me. Talk about hypocritical actions.

45 characters, 20 level 80s, 11 impersonal story completions and counting.

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

If a group of players yelled at me, for seemingly no reason other than being there, I’d kill that mob out of spite. Manners go a long way.

BinkyofFuraffinity.4629

The screenshots simply show you (or one of those wanting the event to fail) shouting at other players for doing something they have a perfect right to do.

Your long post may be true, but the evidence the OP presented paints an entirely different picture, hence the reply I gave and no doubt the others too.

If i am not mistaken, OP was actually part of the group trying to get it done. If i am mistaken though, i apologize.

We were mostly, almost all of us, yelling in caps to STOP because lets be honest, alot of us were doing this for 3-5+ hours and exhausted and angry and bitter. And i dont condone my attitude towards the matter, and i am shameful of yelling in caps at others to stop the event. So for that, i DO apologize. But you cant look at this from one side and not the other.

As i stated in my long winded post, some of the new players obviously had no idea what was going on, and thats okay! I sat down and explained it to them in detail, i was explaining every 20-30 minutes to players. I told them “i understand if your completing the map” in say chat, so all could see. But there WERE people there deliberately trolling us, and told us openly they were doing it to rile us up. Which to them i said grats, they managed to make a bunch of strangers on the internet angry.

Yes, i agree with you that some of them were doing what was put in the game; completing an event and that is fine. i am not angry at those new players or vet players completing the map. I am angry at the trolls who spent they’re time on purpose screwing up everything for those trying to finish this collection :\

Again, to anyone who was there and being polite, thank you. And to anyone there who was yelled at , i apologized personally. Our attitudes are not excusable behavior, and i KNOW that. But neither is the actions of the trolls who admitted to doing it to kitten us off and waste our time :c

BinkyofFuraffinity.4629

If a group of players yelled at me, for seemingly no reason other than being there, I’d kill that mob out of spite. Manners go a long way.

some of us were trying to politely ask people to stop, others in the group werent as polite. And about 3-5 hours in we were all pretty bitter. Are we accountable for our words and actions, certainly. And i apologized to those who asked why the event needs to fail , some of them even killed the mobs and apologized and i explained to one Ele what was going on, and he was being yelled at by everyone else, and i told him it was okay; that everyone was on edge and i apologized for yelling in caps.

Some of us were openly apologetic. Were we apologetic to the trolls and griefers? No, because they openly told us they were doing it to rile us up,and well it worked

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

You sir are wrong. Clearly, yelling and cursing at individuals is far more effective. Like in rl.

Posted by: Alicornus.7095

Alicornus.7095

Creating collections which force players to fail events this way is horrible, horrible game design and provokes toxic behaviour. Why the responsible developers at ArenaNet thought this would be a good idea is beyond me.

BinkyofFuraffinity.4629

You also didn’t answer my point about why you and your group are more important than those you were shouting at and why YOUR wants should take precedence over theirs.

I totally get the point that requiring an event to fail to get a shiny is BAD DESIGN, but you should be shouting and screaming at ANET not other players playing the game as presented.

Also, on most other MMO forums I post on ‘name and shame’ images aren’t allowed, so posting images of those other players could be construed as inciting people to harass them.

sorry i didnt see your edit. I dont think our desire to complete the legendary takes priority over anyone else in the area trying to complete the map or heart. I never said it did. And those who were completing the map told us, and i said it was fine, its understandable. We explained to them why the event needed to fail, and they were all for it and stuck around trying to help.

But look at it this way, anet is basically putting players against players in this situation. Its an event in a high-traffic area [as of lately] that needs to fail in order to be given progression on Nevermore. Players who are trying to complete the map get yelled at to stop, and players who are trying to complete nevermore cant get the item. So everyone loses. Its a horrible system, and yes, i do think we should all be blaming Anet. Many are.

Alot of the new players and vet players in that area even joked that its “like anet is trying to create pvp outside of pvp” and create hostility. Its an event that new players do and vets do to complete the map and area heart, and get loot and exp, but its also tied to an item to craft a new legendary. Its a horribly flawed design on anets part.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Love posts like these, OP if you had explained why you wanted the event to fail maybe the person would have complied. But screaming at someone with no reason why they should stop, well I’d just carry on and complete the event. At the end of the day, this is ANet’s mistake. The really messed up with the design of this collections. it forces people to “luck” in to getting them, or play at ungodly hours to get what they want to finish it.

Other people have the right to play the game, as do you. It’s ANet’s job to make the game a happy place, a job that they are failing horribly at since HoT’s launch.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

BinkyofFuraffinity.4629

Creating collections which force players to fail events this way is horrible, horrible game design and provokes toxic behaviour. Why the responsible developers at ArenaNet thought this would be a good idea is beyond me.

Thank you. This. Very much this. And you are right, it creates intense, toxic behavior from everyone.

I personally apologize over and over for yelling in caps at people. I cant speak for others but im sure they are sorry too. People are angry and heated after hours and days of failure to complete one item tied to an event that everyone does for different reasons; to complete the map, to complete the heart, or to complete nevermore. I dont know what anet was thinking, and its made us all toxic towards one another.

BinkyofFuraffinity.4629

Love posts like these, OP if you had explained why you wanted the event to fail maybe the person would have complied. But screaming at someone with no reason why they should stop, well I’d just carry on and complete the event. At the end of the day, this is ANet’s mistake. The really messed up with the design of this collections. it forces people to “luck” in to getting them, or play at ungodly hours to get what they want to finish it.

Other people have the right to play the game, as do you. It’s ANet’s job to make the game a happy place, a job that they are failing horribly at since HoT’s launch.

some of us were actually explaining why we wanted the event to fail, and anets decision on the matter to make an item bound to its failure. Despite explaining, some people kept on killing. Some people came around like clockwork after completing the area only to troll and tell us they were trolling cause they thought it was funny we were wasting our time.

So while some of the people in our group were hostile to an extreme, some of us TRIED to explain things. It was all a very hectic, horrible time, for everyone involved.

Posted by: Viledoom.7203

Viledoom.7203

I didn’t know this was a thing until yesterday while in a jumping puzzle and people started asking in chat that nobody kill whatever the mob was and I was all…. wtf is this? I don’t understand how Anet thought this would be a good way to design any sort of reward. I certainly will never bother with any content that requires telling other players not to do some in game event…. that’s just asking for trouble. They need to fix this asap.

BrotherBelial.3094

some of us were actually explaining why we wanted the event to fail, and anets decision on the matter to make an item bound to its failure. Despite explaining, some people kept on killing. Some people came around like clockwork after completing the area only to troll and tell us they were trolling cause they thought it was funny we were wasting our time.

So while some of the people in our group were hostile to an extreme, some of us TRIED to explain things. It was all a very hectic, horrible time, for everyone involved.

Well, posting pictures of you explaining would help your cause a lot more than pic’s of people screaming.

As I said, you really need to complain to ANet about this not berate other players, sure there are always going to be people who have fun trolling, I don’t get it personally, But have you ever thought about just doing something in the meantime? come back later, with luck they would have moved on.

ANet have made a catalog of errors with the launch of HoT. I really want them fixed. or at least a happy medium.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|

BinkyofFuraffinity.4629

Well, posting pictures of you explaining would help your cause a lot more than pic’s of people screaming.

As I said, you really need to complain to ANet about this not berate other players, sure there are always going to be people who have fun trolling, I don’t get it personally, But have you ever thought about just doing something in the meantime? come back later, with luck they would have moved on.

ANet have made a catalog of errors with the launch of HoT. I really want them fixed. or at least a happy medium.

some of us did go to other areas only to come back and the same trolls were there, camping the spot and hiding behind the broken down building where the hero point is, only to come out the instant the event started and continue trolling. This went on for hours. I had a party of two others with me , who were over at Shaman waiting for it to spawn to explain to people early on why we were trying to fail the events. These trolls that were doing this for hours, would go from killing the Veteran Beast of Jormag, then immediately run over to Shaman once it spawned, my party confirmed this since we knew the names of the players trolling the rest of us.

unfortunately we have complained to Anet. Theres a reddit post on the matter. A user posted screenshots /copies of the emails between them and anet. Anets response was “Sorry for the inconvenience. We hope you can get the event to fail to progress.” :C

BrotherBelial.3094

some of us did go to other areas only to come back and the same trolls were there, camping the spot and hiding behind the broken down building where the hero point is, only to come out the instant the event started and continue trolling. This went on for hours. I had a party of two others with me , who were over at Shaman waiting for it to spawn to explain to people early on why we were trying to fail the events. These trolls that were doing this for hours, would go from killing the Veteran Beast of Jormag, then immediately run over to Shaman once it spawned, my party confirmed this since we knew the names of the players trolling the rest of us.

unfortunately we have complained to Anet. Theres a reddit post on the matter. A user posted screenshots /copies of the emails between them and anet. Anets response was “Sorry for the inconvenience. We hope you can get the event to fail to progress.” :C

That’s some BS right there. I really don’t understand what ANet want from there game and player base. All they are doing since HoT is annoying there players to the point they give ANet the finger and move on. I’d be really interested in knowing the numbers of people who have stopped playing since launch.

BinkyofFuraffinity.4629

That’s some BS right there. I really don’t understand what ANet want from there game and player base. All they are doing since HoT is annoying there players to the point they give ANet the finger and move on. I’d be really interested in knowing the numbers of people who have stopped playing since launch.

I agree, and looking at OP’s screenshots, they were one of the kind players there trying to help the rest of us. They were polite and just wanted to finish Nevermore aswell. We all remarked how tiring and exhausted we were, to the point of being bitter and angry.

I have never had to yell at another player to stop doing an event in all my years of playing, and ive been here since Beta of GW2. Ive been always happy to help others and never really felt any anger towards others; but this? It brought out a lot of anger, in all of us. We were all very disappointed after i think 7 hours in total and have given up for now. We’ll go our ways and wait for anets response on the matter. A lot of people want them to just put the items as karma items, like some of the other collection ones. That’d fix everything. No more hostility and no more toxicity in that specific area.

Posted by: gclhoutx.7234

gclhoutx.7234

Considering the item is called Nevermore, All I’m gonna say it seems it was a dev’s cruel idea of a joke that they actually didn’t want anyone collecting it. Or possibly a sick method in which to force people to actually communicate to each other and possibly meet someone. Instead of seeing someone fight a mob and decide to come help kill it then run off after the deed is done without a single word of communication spoken between each player.

BinkyofFuraffinity.4629

Considering the item is called Nevermore, All I’m gonna say it seems it was a dev’s cruel idea of a joke that they actually didn’t want anyone collecting it. Or possibly a sick method in which to force people to actually communicate to each other and possibly meet someone. Instead of seeing someone fight a mob and decide to come help kill it then run off after the deed is done without a single word of communication spoken between each player.

haha yea ive heard some jokes pertaining to its namesake of “Never more”. I will say, i have met some lovely people while working on the final part. Its been stressful overall, so many bugs, so much stress, but some lovely people who just want to complete something that is appealing to some of us. c:

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Maybe you can start a guild dedicated to obtaining Nevermore and keep taxiing people into the same map to ensure that particular map will fail?

Posted by: Grover.8753

Grover.8753

I’ve posted about this recently and having collections gated behind failures. They offer you map rewards for event completion now which makes it even MORE difficult to get what you need. Promoting failure is fail backwards counter-productive mechanic. Anet nerfs event chains people fail purposely to farm so how is this any different? First they say “it’s bad. don’t do it. it’s exploiting the system” and now they expect you to do it then reward you for it.
ALSO, if there are numerous players around wanting the event to failure but one person who wants to be “that guy” and complete it just to kitten everyone off, that clearly violates Rule 1 of Guild Wars 2 Rules of Conduct causing grief and distress among the players. really dropped the ball on this expansion. If this is really the way they want the game to progress then their future is bleak.

BinkyofFuraffinity.4629

Maybe you can start a guild dedicated to obtaining Nevermore and keep taxiing people into the same map to ensure that particular map will fail?

this is an idea :O However i think it would invite more trolls into the map too. Gotta be cautious, but at least its an idea! c:

I read a reddit post in the past 2 hours i believe it was, someone mentioned these forum topics and reddit posts to Anet and they said they are aware of it, but that they are not going to change it. They did say though “if enough people complain or discuss it, our higher ups will have to look into it”. So basically alot of people need to make a ruckus about it. :C sad that a bunch of fighting and drama is the only way to attract Anets attention.

i have the reddit post saved/bookmarked if i am allowed to link it. I dont know if its against forum rules to link such things or not.

BinkyofFuraffinity.4629

I’ve posted about this recently and having collections gated behind failures. They offer you map rewards for event completion now which makes it even MORE difficult to get what you need. Promoting failure is fail backwards counter-productive mechanic. Anet nerfs event chains people fail purposely to farm so how is this any different? First they say “it’s bad. don’t do it. it’s exploiting the system” and now they expect you to do it then reward you for it.
ALSO, if there are numerous players around wanting the event to failure but one person who wants to be “that guy” and complete it just to kitten everyone off, that clearly violates Rule 1 of Guild Wars 2 Rules of Conduct causing grief and distress among the players. really dropped the ball on this expansion. If this is really the way they want the game to progress then their future is bleak.

thank you ; _ ; i completely agree. As do many others. I can understand both sides; those who want to complete the event to get map completion/heart completion, but i also understand us who want to complete nevermore. And it only takes 1 troll to mess things up. For hours. THEY WONT LEAVE :c And we cant report them, despite angry players screaming to do so; because to Anet they are playing the game as intended. And, well, they are. They are doing the event, even if they are griefing, they can hide behind the facade that they “are playing the game as its intended to be played” IE: completing the event.

Anet said it was abusing and exploiting the game to fail events on purpose. Now they essentially force our hand to make the event fail to progress an item; a legendary item at that. What were they thinking? How is this okay? They tell us not to fail events cause its exploitation, now they reward us FOR failure? Anet please. :C

And they are aware of this event and it needing to fail. There is a reddit post about it where someone informed Anet, and they’re reply was basically “we arent going to change it unless more people complain, THEN we’ll LOOK into it”. I have the link but i am weary of posting it on the forums, cause i do not want to break any rules . But i do think it should be looked at; considering that Anet has admitted they are aware of the Event needing to fail, and dont want to change unless enough of the player base yells and screams.

Posted by: luzt.7692

luzt.7692

This design is ridiculous.

And come on, look at the bigger picture.
Is it so hard to realise that this design is bad for both sides?
Stop making everything into a hierarchy and perceive things as whole instead.

Posted by: Nathan Dragonslayer.4089

Nathan Dragonslayer.4089

This event is hell, yeah it worked on test servers well yeah duh……….
Been trying to get it for hours on end well hell forget it. Made a ticket to Anet well you now what good that did, nothing. Everytime it pops up someone ends the event. Wow Anet staring at a screen waiting and screaming against other players how legendary.

Posted by: dank.3680

dank.3680

None of the drama in these replies matters. The only relevant thing is Anet goofed this is not a requirement that should ever be in an mmo, they need to fix it.

DOES NOT MATTER ABOUT WHO TROLLED OR YELLED AT WHO.

#MAGSWAG: All class player. XOXO

Posted by: Raedwulf.3712

Raedwulf.3712

Funnily enough, I got sworn at the twice the other day by some player for not stopping an event that I was already halfway through when he turned up (no-one else was around). I didn’t like his attitude, told him to push off, finished the event & then reported him.

Unfortunately, there is always a certain amount of toxicity of this kind around and always has been in GW2. Anyone who has ever spent any time in Orr when there’s a champ train going knows this. “You must stop you n00b!! We getz moar phat lootz if this event failz!!!!” It’s an attitude that does, at times, get right up my nose.

Why must I play the game the way you want to, instead of the way I want to? Who gave you the right to demand that? And I don’t care whether it’s 1, 10, or 100 of you. I play the game to have fun, not to be abused by some mannerless bunch of internet pixels who doesn’t even say thank you if I do stop! NB: I can’t remember the last time before the other day that I didn’t stop when asked; I just don’t like the attitude & abuse that is so often involved.

Anyway, there’s always been a certain amount of toxicity involved in GW2, but it seems strange, counter-productive, and frankly downright stupid, to knowingly introduce a mechanism that actively promotes it. Then again, there’s an awful lot of bad design in HoT, and I’ve been critical of Anet both here and in any number of the many bug reports I’ve filled out since release.

The Legendary system is a great example. I hate Jumping Puzzles. I do them once for the achievement (if there is one), and that’s it. I never do them again. I don’t mind their presence in the game in the slightest. I’m well aware that others simply love them. Good for them – all sorts of things for all sorts of players. But personally, if I wanted to play a platform game I’d go back to Manic Miner (look it up, kiddies, yes I was playing it when it was released! ).

I’ve actually opened up about a dozen of the Leggie quests. I know it’s all horrendously expensive; I can live with that. I can live with the fact that I will never finish more than one or two, and may not even finish one.

What annoys me is that I am being forced into things. I’m forced into JP’s; I’m forced into Fractals (I’m not a regular runner of them, but I quite like them, so not much of a hardship); I’m forced into PvP (I don’t play competitive PvP; happily my second guild has its own arena where I can do the dailies); I’m forced into WvW (where I’m strictly casual at best). As for being forced to hope an event fails…

I’m sure, there’ll be some clever person comes along shortly who will authoritatively declare that I’m not being “forced” into anything, it’s all my choice. It was my choice to open up Predator (rifle) & Quip (pistol) because my main is an Engineer. And only then do I find that in Vol I there are things I can only get from fractals or JP’s (the worst in the game, naturally; a kind Mesmer friend portalled me up there). And just to put the tin lid on things, of course, Predator is (or was, I haven’t checked for a couple of weeks) bugged. At least one of the items is simply unobtainable. And that’s just in Vol I.

I don’t mind that the process for crafting a Leggie is long-winded, expensive, and feels somewhat of a grind. I never expected anything else, and I’ve never had a precursor drop (I’m a Day One player), so at least I now have a chance. But I can’t accept an argument that tries to persuade me that it’s other than another example of poorly thought through content. Whatever the potential rights & wrongs of the actual behaviour demonstrated in the OPs example (and Binky, you’re apologised enough – we’re convinced! ), putting in requirements for events to fail (and there is more than one example) is something that stinks to high heaven.

There is much that is good in HoT, but there is much that is indifferent or downright bad (never mind the usual plethora of bugs, many still not fixed; some of them really basic stuff). Unfortunately, after 3 years, GW2 seems to be drifting in the same direction (downhill) that LotRO did, especially after Turbine were bought up by Warner Borthers.

It was said then that Turbine still had the chance to save the game. They didn’t; it got worse & haemorrhaged players. Anet might well have lost a lot of players since HoT, I don’t know. Certainly there has been plenty of disappointment here, and quite a few “I’m leaving” threads (there always are after an ex-pac; big deal you can rightly argue). My personal feeling is that the quality, particularly of their Quality Control (the process of making sure your product works), has been declining for a while. Anet still have the chance to arrest that. I hope they do. If they don’t, players will steadily fall away.

Guild Leader, The White Company, Piken Square

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

Let’s be honest with ourselves; trolls and griefers exist, people who over-value nihilism will target people who are working for something. MMOs have always had such people, always will.

Thank you arenanet management for allowing design by committee without a commitment to thorough workmanship to introduce boss camping and boss griefing. “When it’s ready” TM has become “when it’s ready enough” TM.

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

this is an idea :O However i think it would invite more trolls into the map too. Gotta be cautious, but at least its an idea! c:

I read a reddit post in the past 2 hours i believe it was, someone mentioned these forum topics and reddit posts to Anet and they said they are aware of it, but that they are not going to change it. They did say though “if enough people complain or discuss it, our higher ups will have to look into it”. So basically alot of people need to make a ruckus about it. :C sad that a bunch of fighting and drama is the only way to attract Anets attention.

i have the reddit post saved/bookmarked if i am allowed to link it. I dont know if its against forum rules to link such things or not.

You’re allowed to link.
Once again, good job on posting to reddit and not your actual official forum, ANET. And what a brilliant job handling this issue: “More people have to make a fuss before we’ll look into changing anything.” This is terrible design, but you’re sticking with it, eh? There’s absolutely no reason something like this should hinge on failure, but you guys doggedly keep putting things behind failure… huh. If you think failure=success, that could explain a LOT about your recent design decisions.

At each turn, you keep making me more and more glad I didn’t buy the expansion, and everytime you gut the core game, you’re making it easier for me to walk away. The fact that your response to this situation was “cry moar” is just one more reminder that this company really doesn’t care anymore.

Thanks for posting and bringing this to my attention. It’s a crying shame.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

BinkyofFuraffinity.4629

Funnily enough, I got sworn at the twice the other day by some player for not stopping an event that I was already halfway through when he turned up (no-one else was around). I didn’t like his attitude, told him to push off, finished the event & then reported him.

Unfortunately, there is always a certain amount of toxicity of this kind around and always has been in GW2. Anyone who has ever spent any time in Orr when there’s a champ train going knows this. “You must stop you n00b!! We getz moar phat lootz if this event failz!!!!” It’s an attitude that does, at times, get right up my nose.

Why must I play the game the way you want to, instead of the way I want to? Who gave you the right to demand that? And I don’t care whether it’s 1, 10, or 100 of you. I play the game to have fun, not to be abused by some mannerless bunch of internet pixels who doesn’t even say thank you if I do stop! NB: I can’t remember the last time before the other day that I didn’t stop when asked; I just don’t like the attitude & abuse that is so often involved.

Anyway, there’s always been a certain amount of toxicity involved in GW2, but it seems strange, counter-productive, and frankly downright stupid, to knowingly introduce a mechanism that actively promotes it. Then again, there’s an awful lot of bad design in HoT, and I’ve been critical of Anet both here and in any number of the many bug reports I’ve filled out since release.

The Legendary system is a great example. I hate Jumping Puzzles. I do them once for the achievement (if there is one), and that’s it. I never do them again. I don’t mind their presence in the game in the slightest. I’m well aware that others simply love them. Good for them – all sorts of things for all sorts of players. But personally, if I wanted to play a platform game I’d go back to Manic Miner (look it up, kiddies, yes I was playing it when it was released! ).

I’ve actually opened up about a dozen of the Leggie quests. I know it’s all horrendously expensive; I can live with that. I can live with the fact that I will never finish more than one or two, and may not even finish one.

What annoys me is that I am being forced into things. I’m forced into JP’s; I’m forced into Fractals (I’m not a regular runner of them, but I quite like them, so not much of a hardship); I’m forced into PvP (I don’t play competitive PvP; happily my second guild has its own arena where I can do the dailies); I’m forced into WvW (where I’m strictly casual at best). As for being forced to hope an event fails…

I’m sure, there’ll be some clever person comes along shortly who will authoritatively declare that I’m not being “forced” into anything, it’s all my choice. It was my choice to open up Predator (rifle) & Quip (pistol) because my main is an Engineer. And only then do I find that in Vol I there are things I can only get from fractals or JP’s (the worst in the game, naturally; a kind Mesmer friend portalled me up there). And just to put the tin lid on things, of course, Predator is (or was, I haven’t checked for a couple of weeks) bugged. At least one of the items is simply unobtainable. And that’s just in Vol I.

I don’t mind that the process for crafting a Leggie is long-winded, expensive, and feels somewhat of a grind. I never expected anything else, and I’ve never had a precursor drop (I’m a Day One player), so at least I now have a chance. But I can’t accept an argument that tries to persuade me that it’s other than another example of poorly thought through content. Whatever the potential rights & wrongs of the actual behaviour demonstrated in the OPs example (and Binky, you’re apologised enough – we’re convinced! ), putting in requirements for events to fail (and there is more than one example) is something that stinks to high heaven.

There is much that is good in HoT, but there is much that is indifferent or downright bad (never mind the usual plethora of bugs, many still not fixed; some of them really basic stuff). Unfortunately, after 3 years, GW2 seems to be drifting in the same direction (downhill) that LotRO did, especially after Turbine were bought up by Warner Borthers.

It was said then that Turbine still had the chance to save the game. They didn’t; it got worse & haemorrhaged players. Anet might well have lost a lot of players since HoT, I don’t know. Certainly there has been plenty of disappointment here, and quite a few “I’m leaving” threads (there always are after an ex-pac; big deal you can rightly argue). My personal feeling is that the quality, particularly of their Quality Control (the process of making sure your product works), has been declining for a while. Anet still have the chance to arrest that. I hope they do. If they don’t, players will steadily fall away.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. I want to make it clear though that not all of us were being vulgar. I not once used any profane language and alot of us didnt either. We even apologized regularly to others who were just completing the map, and openly thanked and put lots of lovely <3 <3 <3 to those who helped out, even if they werent involved in Nevermore.

I know exactly how you feel though, about alot of this. I have never once had to tell a player to stop doing what is natural in GW2; that is doing an event until this implementation. I feel horrible that i had to constantly say “stop please. We want this to fail for a specific reason” in hopes they would take a moment to ask why. Some did, and a few of us thanked them happily and explained it to them. Sadly there were trolls all night doing it deliberately :C

As for PVP , man im right with you. I hate PVP. I hate confrontation with other players, and anytime ive been doing pvp with 1 or 2 buds we always get someone on the team who is toxic and very negative.

Thanks for understanding both sides of the fence, and im sorry to hear you were at the receiving end of being yelled at too. I understand it’d be pretty upsetting if someone came running over to me yelling. Those screenshots are accurate, but dont do everyones side of the story any justice, some of us were asking “please stop, we need the event to fail for a specific set of other events to start”. The only time some of us were yelling “STOP PLEASE” is when one or two specific trolls were continueing to kill the vets or when no one would hear the few of us out trying to explain the event, over the rest who were screaming. In the end it was just a bunch of yelling in caps and drama sadly :C

; w ; thanks again though for understanding both sides.

Posted by: Misfit.5962

Misfit.5962

GG on promoting toxicity within the community ANET. Half the people responding to the OP don’t even know whats going on, the other half is just frustrated that you made two events failing in a highly populated area to be a requirement to craft Nevermore.

Makes me wonder if your QA team just sleeps on the job before releasing content.

Again, this toxic environment didn’t need to happen, if only you put a little hindsight into this, GG on dividing the community.

(edited by Misfit.5962)

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

All i see is some people shouting in say chat.
And some naming and shaming on the forums.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

re: All i see is some people shouting in say chat. And some naming and shaming on the forums. – All I see is someone proving that they couldn’t be bothered to read the thread, but felt compelled to respond anyway.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

I am one of those in the pictures. And for those of you here calling us " LOL crybabies" for wanting our precursor, i’ll state this:

I don’t even want to hear your excuses. There’s no justification for reporting someone for completing an event. Period. You lot should be ashamed of yourselves for doing so.

BinkyofFuraffinity.4629

I don’t even want to hear your excuses. There’s no justification for reporting someone for completing an event. Period. You lot should be ashamed of yourselves for doing so.

i DIDNT report anyone though. Those screenshots do not show me saying “REPORT THEM” anywhere, and anyone who was there doing the event; both players there for Nevermore and also to complete the heart, can attest i never demanded reporting of innocent players.

And there would be no point in reporting anyone as i stated because they are doing what the event was intended to be done; completed. Anet knows i have not reported anyone, since my reports would obviously go to them :\ but believe whatever you want to believe. You dont have to take my word for it.

The only people i think that should of been reported were the people admitting to trolling people there.

Posted by: Tamasan.6457

Tamasan.6457

Unfortunately, there is an event chain exactly like that.

Malchor’s Leap – the risen chicken coops. The first event in the chain to destroy 6 chicken coops can fail or succeed.

On failure, the next event spawns veteran risen chickens. The Minstrel (focus) tier 1 collection requires being hit by one of their eggs.

On success of the chicken coop event, an inquest ornithologist spawns. After defeat of the ornithologist, a NPC becomes a merchant and offers an item needed for The Predator (rifle) tier 1 collection.

I think the only reasons this one hasn’t become a combat zone is that its on a pretty fast reset timer, and neither of the precursors are in quite as much demand as say Nevermore.

Posted by: mcwurth.2081

mcwurth.2081

I agree, and looking at OP’s screenshots, they were one of the kind players there trying to help the rest of us. They were polite and just wanted to finish Nevermore aswell. We all remarked how tiring and exhausted we were, to the point of being bitter and angry.

I have never had to yell at another player to stop doing an event in all my years of playing, and ive been here since Beta of GW2. Ive been always happy to help others and never really felt any anger towards others; but this? It brought out a lot of anger, in all of us. We were all very disappointed after i think 7 hours in total and have given up for now. We’ll go our ways and wait for anets response on the matter. A lot of people want them to just put the items as karma items, like some of the other collection ones. That’d fix everything. No more hostility and no more toxicity in that specific area.

7 Hours? thats a near whole workday. you got nothing better to do then just standing around in a virtual world earning virtual items and money sorry but…. In the mean time you could have done something better "in game or out of game what ever) and returned at an odd hour of the day to get the event to fail.

other then that yes Anet need to get their puppies together and fix the living puppies out of this. it is puppies and kittens.

Posted by: Raedwulf.3712

Raedwulf.3712

Utterly incorrect.

A griefer is a player in a multiplayer video game who deliberately irritates and harasses other players within the game, using aspects of the game in unintended ways. A griefer derives pleasure primarily or exclusively from the act of annoying other users, and as such is a particular nuisance in online gaming communities, since griefers often cannot be deterred by penalties related to in-game goals

As Binky has repeatedly said, there were several players who said they were killing the mob to deliberately irritate, not simply to complete the event, and the evidence would be in the chat logs. Anet don’t like griefing any more than most MMOs, whether RPG or some other ilk.

In the same circumstances, I’d report, without the slightest shame in doing so (although the Anet reporting system is woefully inadequate, whatever the problem is, bar goldsellers). You’re another one who might want to pay a bit more attention to what the thread actually says, instead of appearing to jump to conclusions.

Guild Leader, The White Company, Piken Square

BinkyofFuraffinity.4629

7 Hours? thats a near whole workday. you got nothing better to do then just standing around in a virtual world earning virtual items and money sorry but…. In the mean time you could have done something better "in game or out of game what ever) and returned at an odd hour of the day to get the event to fail.

other then that yes Anet need to get their puppies together and fix the living puppies out of this. it is puppies and kittens.

yes seven hours. I unfortunately am confined to my apartment till next week for a doctors appointment regarding my health and blood testing, so i have little to do in the mean time other then jump on a game and spend time doing just that; wasting my time. And i, and others at the location, did take regular breaks just AFKing in the area to go make food, do chores, clean up, do laundry ect ect and come back when we had finished. After so many attempts though i personally got tired and went to rest. When i came back some of the people from last night were still there attempting.