Why do we promote this behavior? Nevermore IV [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Obviously, this issue needs to be fixed. Requiring an event to ‘fail’ in order to achieve a reward makes no sense. I mean . . . seriously? Earning a reward for failure might be cute in the Darwin Awards, but not in an MMO.

Gone to Reddit.

Ardenwolfe.8590

Forum fix . . . irony given the topic of fixes and bugs. . . .

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

I am one of those in the pictures. And for those of you here calling us " LOL crybabies" for wanting our precursor, i’ll state this:

I don’t even want to hear your excuses. There’s no justification for reporting someone for completing an event. Period. You lot should be ashamed of yourselves for doing so.

i DIDNT report anyone though. Those screenshots do not show me saying “REPORT THEM” anywhere, and anyone who was there doing the event; both players there for Nevermore and also to complete the heart, can attest i never demanded reporting of innocent players.

And there would be no point in reporting anyone as i stated because they are doing what the event was intended to be done; completed. Anet knows i have not reported anyone, since my reports would obviously go to them :\ but believe whatever you want to believe. You dont have to take my word for it.

The only people i think that should of been reported were the people admitting to trolling people there.

I’m glad that you realize that your behavior was poor form. I also understand your frustration over this poorly designed system. The notion that failing an event should ever be the correct course of action is asinine; even more so considering they’ve already had these sorts of problems crop up when they overhauled the Skill Point system. How they didn’t learn from that mistake is beyond me, but it doesn’t speak well to management.

But treating those who genuinely wanted to complete the event for whatever reason with hostility is wrong doesn’t promote a friendly gaming environment, and nobody wins when the player base turns toxic towards one another. When these sorts of situations come up, it’s best to direct your ire towards those kittenponsible. Just be sure to do so in a respectful and constructive manner.

Posted by: smiling.9028

smiling.9028

Anet has been fostering this elitist atmosphere since the launch of HoT with everything from Metas that are 99% going to fail all the way to requiring events to fail to appease the highest ranks of the new entitled crowd they have created.

I’m hoping that once their forums have filled with this type of complaint they will have an epiphany and see they are killing their own game. Eventually the loss in income from people leaving will wake them up but by then it will be too late.

(edited by smiling.9028)

Posted by: BinkyofFuraffinity.4629

BinkyofFuraffinity.4629

I am one of those in the pictures. And for those of you here calling us " LOL crybabies" for wanting our precursor, i’ll state this:

I don’t even want to hear your excuses. There’s no justification for reporting someone for completing an event. Period. You lot should be ashamed of yourselves for doing so.

i DIDNT report anyone though. Those screenshots do not show me saying “REPORT THEM” anywhere, and anyone who was there doing the event; both players there for Nevermore and also to complete the heart, can attest i never demanded reporting of innocent players.

And there would be no point in reporting anyone as i stated because they are doing what the event was intended to be done; completed. Anet knows i have not reported anyone, since my reports would obviously go to them :\ but believe whatever you want to believe. You dont have to take my word for it.

The only people i think that should of been reported were the people admitting to trolling people there.

I’m glad that you realize that your behavior was poor form. I also understand your frustration over this poorly designed system. The notion that failing an event should ever be the correct course of action is asinine; even more so considering they’ve already had these sorts of problems crop up when they overhauled the Skill Point system. How they didn’t learn from that mistake is beyond me, but it doesn’t speak well to management.

But treating those who genuinely wanted to complete the event for whatever reason with hostility is wrong doesn’t promote a friendly gaming environment, and nobody wins when the player base turns toxic towards one another. When these sorts of situations come up, it’s best to direct your ire towards those kittenponsible. Just be sure to do so in a respectful and constructive manner.

Thank you Darkace for reading more into the posts. I appreciate it c:> Yes. I can assure you, i did not call for the wanton report of innocent players. Innocent players who were there infact to complete the event even added me to they’re Follow List so as to keep in contact after last night. The trolling/griefing is what i believe deserves reporting, but since they are completing the event as Anet designed it, it would do no good, so overall i think that reporting is worthless in these situations.

I really did try to be helpful and constructive during the events last night; i spent a good portion of time explaining to new players and old ones alike why people were there to complete the Nevermore collection, and explaining the set of events ie: 1 event has to fail to start another ect ect. The only time vulgarities were thrown around was when certain individuals got real heated and angry. The only time i myself got confrontational was when being confronted by said trolls

Thanks again though for replying, i appreciate it c:>And yes i agree speaking in all caps to yell is and was and will always be in poor form, i cant apologize enough for my lack of manners last night :c i am genuinely apologetic over my behavior. I think everyone was burnt out and just bitter after so long.

Ardenwolfe.8590

Excuse me. Didn’t the other players want to complete their event as well? Using this logic, the people killing the mobs they were waiting for was just as hostile? And they even asked the person(s) to stop.

In other words, no one wins. And it’s why ANet needs to reverse this direction. Now.

They’re the one creating the toxic environment with this requirement of failure. Not the people trying to complete the quest on either side.

Gone to Reddit.

BinkyofFuraffinity.4629

Excuse me. Didn’t the other players want to complete their event as well? Using this logic, the people killing the mobs they were waiting for was just as hostile? And they even asked the person(s) to stop.

In other words, no one wins. And it’s why ANet needs to reverse this direction. Now.

They’re the one creating the toxic environment with this requirement of failure. Not the people trying to complete the quest on either side.

i agree. Thank you. Im exhausted just trying to explain on the forums, i feel burnt out. I understand both sides want to complete the events in they’re own rights, i dont blame legit players from wanting to complete it and i dont blame Nevermore crafters to want to get the collection item either. I think that the way anet designed it has created intense hostility and negativity on that particular map and trust me they are aware of it considering the posts on Reddit.

However, id love to state that the other maps for collection pieces like Friend of the Bears or Moas have been pretty lovely. Met a few really nice players and people calling out in map chat of the events starting and even inviting new players to the area who dont even have nevermore collection unlocked, just so they could get EXP/karma/currency . I wanna see more of THAT from these “legendary” journeys; more teamwork and reward for everyone.

Posted by: Misfit.5962

Misfit.5962

Yup, that what i was trying to say in my post, this is COMPLETELY ANET’S FAULT, they created this fight and they need to fix it ASAP, its literally creating huge in game fights.

Posted by: zeonozero.5860

zeonozero.5860

This has gotten alot of attention, so I’ll post some additional information.

I did not take any screenshot of us actually explaining what we were doing. There were times for a few hours (and some people were waiting much longer) about explaining what a legendary collection was, what is a legendary weapon (for the brand new people), and why we needed the event to fail. Alot of times people were nice and patient with us, but these people are not the problem

There were several times where we would ask people to stop. They would continue to kill the icebrood and the shaman that were walking, never letting us get to the other events that happen if you fail it. They wouldn’t even respond with a “but its an event, I should do it.” They would just attack with all of us saying to “please stop, there will be more events and more rewards afterwards.”

That is what I’m driving at here, like all of us already have said, that people are actually fighting now because of certain legendary collection requirements

Charr Ele ftw

BinkyofFuraffinity.4629

This has gotten alot of attention, so I’ll post some additional information.

I did not take any screenshot of us actually explaining what we were doing. There were times for a few hours (and some people were waiting much longer) about explaining what a legendary collection was, what is a legendary weapon (for the brand new people), and why we needed the event to fail. Alot of times people were nice and patient with us, but these people are not the problem

There were several times where we would ask people to stop. They would continue to kill the icebrood and the shaman that were walking, never letting us get to the other events that happen if you fail it. They wouldn’t even respond with a “but its an event, I should do it.” They would just attack with all of us saying to “please stop, there will be more events and more rewards afterwards.”

That is what I’m driving at here, like all of us already have said, that people are actually fighting now because of certain legendary collection requirements

thank you for coming back OP to speak up <3 im glad you arrived to explain and elaborate on the situation for everyone here. <3 Those of us who were trying to explain to others during the events were met with different scenarios; some completely ignored us; a few purposely trolled [very few mind you] and a good majority actually sat down and politely spoke with us about the events; inquiring as to why people wanted it to fail.

There was alot of negativity, yes, but only because of the first two combinations. The first one [people silently killing and coming back to kill again]wasnt bad to start with, but once trolls showed up, thats when the night really turned sour and people got on edge. We could all of handled ourselves better this is true, but i really hope this is a lesson that Anet looks at and learns from. Putting an item for a legendary or any item behind a requirement to fail something , when players can interact and get involved in said event/scenario, is bad. It creates a rift between players who want to complete said event for whatever reason; and said players who want to get the item from the fail-check.

Thanks again OP for explaining the situation <3 And thank you to all here who have been polite and constructive; and hearing both sides is very important. Thanks guys and gals <3

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

The shame shouldn’t be on any of the players for this.

This has been a repeated issue over the last three years. ArenaNet keeps finding ways to make it more rewarding to fail events. Early on, honest mistake, but hasn’t GW2 been around this particular mountain enough times now?

BinkyofFuraffinity.4629

The shame shouldn’t be on any of the players for this.

This has been a repeated issue over the last three years. ArenaNet keeps finding ways to make it more rewarding to fail events. Early on, honest mistake, but hasn’t GW2 been around this particular mountain enough times now?

agreed. They even said at one point, if i remember the quote properly; that they didnt want players to fail events on purpose cause its exploitation. But now they have items tied to multiple events having to fail to start 2nd or 3rd new events that need to succeed. :c

Posted by: LeahV.5482

LeahV.5482

Couldn’t they change the condition of the event every other time it spawns? So one time killing is good, then allowing to comp is good.

I don’t know how difficult that would be, but they have timers on other events so that would help both sides?

Posted by: Valky.2574

Valky.2574

Oh don’t still my event, we all like to beat you with a stick !
Game is turning into the toxic community of other mmo’s

Not about event but node but i think it fits any way

spoof song about node in eq2 and ppl stilling themP
game is getting close tot hat mentality

Posted by: Land of Cheese.2584

Land of Cheese.2584

Wow, the customer support people said “gee, sorry, hope you can get it to fail”? Yeah, someone at Anet can look up my account and see how much I’ve spent on this game. That all stops. I’m not even interested in any more legendaries and don’t plan to do any of them. But this takes the cake. Your designers are stupid.

I’m out. Finding something else to play.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The idea that an event failing produces a second, different event is an interesting dynamic. Placing a required component for a greatly desired item in the event that only occurs if the first one fails is an invitation to griefing and a flash-point for player conflict. If this is the result of failure to learn from similar issues in the past, then — as Gibson suggests — ANet is remiss. If it is an intended part of the design to slow acquisition, then ANet is beyond remiss.

Posted by: EthanLightheart.9168

EthanLightheart.9168

seriously I’m also at the end of my patience!

Posted by: Misfit.5962

Misfit.5962

Seriously this is frustrating, the Shaman goes down quicker than a toothless crack kitten, all while you’re trying to explain to a bunch of low levels on why NOT to kill him. I Mean, its not even a champ, don’t even get me started on the ones that completly ignore chat.

GG on creating a huge fight in game ANET.

(edited by Misfit.5962)

Posted by: Ophidia Moonstone.2587

Ophidia Moonstone.2587

As a new player to this game when I first went to fight The Shatterer I was called an idiot for using blind on that boss. I had to look up why people were so mad about that. I get being frustrated, but calling someone an idiot for attempting to get a reward for killing a boss isn’t okay, maybe that didn’t happen in this case, but it is happening. It happened to me. I have map chat turned off, so I only saw the bubbles. Perhaps those people who are trolling you are some of the same people that have been bullied in the past. I wouldn’t do that because I am an adult and I wouldn’t have a bad attitude towards some players just because others had been unnecessarily rude and unkind, but after that I don’t feel bad if I accidentally hit my blind button out of habit, either. As a Reaper “Nightfall” is one of my fav skills to use.

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

You might want to be more careful with your screenshots, Jeremy Whitehead.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

EthanLightheart.9168

seriously i literally spent hours on this getting nothing. Why is this in a legendary collection?
Do you even play the game, do you find this funny?

Posted by: Nika.3946

Nika.3946

The problem is “the right thing” is to work to make sure that events succeed. But Anet has in several situations made an alternate “the right thing”, where you need an event to fail – to progress, get a better reward, get an achievement, etc… This is wrong in more than one way. It pits players against each other, and it rewards failure. It’s bad design, and has generated a lot of toxicity. And yet they keep doing it. Why?!?

Totally agreed with you !!!!

Posted by: Kyle.5931

Kyle.5931

I remember I was doing something requires defending Lyssa Temple event to fail. It was a nightmare.

Posted by: LetheLuxuria.2641

LetheLuxuria.2641

Hi.
I am just going to express how terribly saddening this event has been in general. I don’t think anyone of us is going to remember this as an epic Legendary journey.

Reminder that it is neither the fault of people who wants this event to fail, nor the fault of those who are completing the event, be it out of ignorance (playing as intended) or pure trolling and griefing.

The fault lies in the content creator and the way this content has been created to generate so much misery.

Fix it.

Posted by: Frenk.5917

Frenk.5917

I mean, really? No matter what, there is always one or two new guys who are killing the veterans.
And why shouldn’t they? What do they know about the game? They’re level 20. They probably never heard about “purposefully failing events” and they probably don’t even know how to write in chat – let alone READ it – cause, you know, they’re level 20. They are like babies.

The problem arise when people WANT to let the event fail. This is a BIG issue right now. The trashtalk is insane, the toxicity is even higher than Ash vs TA GvG stream twitch chat. Everybody is insulting everyone. Me included. I can’t help it but being toxic when there are 10 people asking to a couple of newbes to stop attacking and they completely ingore us.

What are we supposed to do? There are newbes trying to complete the event (what it is INTEDED to happen, btw) even at 4am. Anet, can you offer us a solution?

Frenk – EU
All is vain

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Welcome to your Legendary Journey.

</sarcasm>
Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Frenk.5917

My chat, a couple of minute before.

Attachments:

Frenk – EU
All is vain

Frenk.5917

Is this what you had in mind with “legendary journey”?

Attachments:

Frenk – EU
All is vain

Posted by: chrisnx.1674

chrisnx.1674

From my perspective this is a bug!
No one can say, that you have to get an event to fail, because why are events there, because of the purpose to get it completed.

Such a big fail..

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

Yet another person creates a new thread over something that already has loads of them.

I mean, really? No matter what, there is always one or two new guys who are killing the veterans.
And why shouldn’t they? What do they know about the game? They’re level 20. They probably never heard about “purposefully failing events” and they probably don’t even know how to write in chat – let alone READ it – cause, you know, they’re level 20. They are like babies.

The problem arise when people WANT to let the event fail. This is a BIG issue right now. The trashtalk is insane, the toxicity is even higher than Ash vs TA GvG stream twitch chat. Everybody is insulting everyone. Me included. I can’t help it but being toxic when there are 10 people asking to a couple of newbes to stop attacking and they completely ingore us.

What are we supposed to do? There are newbes trying to complete the event (what it is INTEDED to happen, btw) even at 4am. Anet, can you offer us a solution?

With such a condescending attitude to “level 20 babies” I’m glad you failed to make them fail, long may you fail!

(edited by Kraggy.4169)

Frenk.5917

With such a condescending attitude to “level 20 babies” I’m glad you failed to make them fail, long may you fail!

Condescending attitude? I am recognizing they are NOT the problem because they are ONLY doing what they are SUPPOSED to do. Do you even read?

Frenk – EU
All is vain

Frenk.5917

5 hours I’m trying to do this. All to no avail. If we could get a word on a possible fix I would stop ruining my life this way..

Frenk – EU
All is vain

Posted by: Zanther Deathbringer.4762

Zanther Deathbringer.4762

This topic has prompted me to make sure that this event is always successful. Thank you!

Posted by: Takoyakii.2146

Takoyakii.2146

This topic has prompted me to make sure that this event is always successful. Thank you!

I hope you get bored of that event soon ,_,

Posted by: Cherokeewill.7504

Cherokeewill.7504

I agree with the OP that this is a mechanic that has no place in the game. It was a bad idea during the Scarlett Invasion and it still is. That said, if the devs truly wanted event failure to be an aspect of the game, they should have instituted a mechanic where the event gets harder to succeed with each subsequent success.

The real problem with the event in question is it can be soloed, easily and by low level toons. If the mobs scaled each time the event succeeded until it was guaranteed to fail without map wide effort, this would not be a problem. This is a mechanic that should be instituted for all chain events as far as I’m concerned. For example, every time an Orrian defense succeeds the mobs should gain 25% more HP, or Power, or transition from regular to Veteran, or something that makes it nigh impossible to complete.

A mechanic such as this would still make the Legendary Journey into a waiting game but there would definitely be light at the end of the tunnel, and those waiting could reap some reward for the event as well. In the case of the other open world chain events, much of the experience is in going from start to finish with the chain.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

“Failure is not only an option, but actively encouraged in our legendary journey!”

Ahh. Those feels when the game that revolutionized the idea that you should never dread seeing other players in the open world decides to make it so that an item not obtainable any other way not only makes you hate seeing other players in the open world, but is so counter-intuitive as to require failure in order to succeed.

Do you all have any internal consistency about what good game design even is, at this point?

Hmm. This is a super time gate, ANET. If nobody can get this item, this should stretch out the time before you need to add anything even more. I think I see why you’re refusing to fix this design flaw, now.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Frenk.5917

Hmm. This is a super time gate, ANET. If nobody can get this item, this should stretch out the time before you need to add anything even more. I think I see why you’re refusing to fix this design flaw, now.

Some people got the item by waking up at 4am.. One of my friends woke up at 4m and one level 20 player killed the veteran so he did it for nothing.

Frenk – EU
All is vain

Posted by: Glass Hand.7306

Glass Hand.7306

There is a thread on reddit discussing this issue that has a developer response to the effect that they are removing requirements for failed events in these collection progressions.

Take heart, ANET agrees with you.

Frenk.5917

There is a thread on reddit discussing this issue that has a developer response to the effect that they are removing requirements for failed events in these collection progressions.

Take heart, ANET agrees with you.

I did a quick research, couldn’t find it. Can you link?

Frenk – EU
All is vain

Posted by: per.3218

per.3218

PLEASE I BEG, fix this im tierd of beeing afk in sessions, and then shout “STOP” too people that dont know how to co-oporate. (5hours, im desperate. this is not a Journey)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

If so, then kudos to ANet. Pity that a link to Reddit is needed for confirmation on the official GW2 forums, though.

Posted by: LadyThora.8162

LadyThora.8162

So I am on day three now of camping out at the owl’s abbatoir in Snowden Drifts waiting for the “Stop the Shaman” event to fail so that I can have a shot at completing the event that follows and earn the friend of the owl spirit trophy.

I tried writing to Anet Support staff (3 times) was told that this collection item is working as intended, there was nothing they could do, and if I was unhappy I should voice my opinions in the forums. So here I am.

Oh, was also told I should try playing at a later hour when there are fewer people on the map. Yesterday I was in Snowden drifts from 10:30 am til 1 am at night my time. How much later am I expected to play here? Did the developers really intend for players to camp this spot 24/7 on the off chance of a failure?

I’ve never seen the Shaman make it more than halfway to the totem site before someone comes along and kills him. Usually lower level players, out leveling, this is a low level zone after all. Sometimes trolls show up. The same person would show up and kill the shaman yesterday every time it spawned for 4 hours straight yesterday.

I’ve tried relogging, hoping to get into other map instances. Rarely works and even when it does it’s always the same result.

Sorry, I know this is getting long.

Is this really how Anet intended this collection to be? Seems like less of a legendary journey and more a legendary frustration. I have everything needed for nevermore except this collection. It’s very disheartening to see the event mob I need to live killed over and over again. I’ve also seen it creating a lot of hostility between players trying to level here and players like myself trying to complete Nevermore.

Blackgate [KnT] elementalist
http://knightgaming.net

Posted by: Arcarius.6148

Arcarius.6148

really stupid game design, screwing over lots of people.

Posted by: LadyThora.8162

LadyThora.8162

Update: after another 3 hours of waiting and begging with other players in the zone we finally got the shaman event to complete on my map. I participated in the kill the hunters event, the owl purification event, and the killing the totem. Guess what?! I didn’t get credit for the Nevermore collection! I am not waiting another 3 days for this on the off chance I might get credit next time. Anet please, this is terrible.

Blackgate [KnT] elementalist
http://knightgaming.net

EthanLightheart.9168

wait wars 2……………………

Posted by: hyman.7526

hyman.7526

You guys just gave me a good idea, how about I go there and request you guys pay me to NOT complete the event. Trolling to a new level?

Posted by: Terra.8571

Terra.8571

Update: after another 3 hours of waiting and begging with other players in the zone we finally got the shaman event to complete on my map. I participated in the kill the hunters event, the owl purification event, and the killing the totem. Guess what?! I didn’t get credit for the Nevermore collection! I am not waiting another 3 days for this on the off chance I might get credit next time. Anet please, this is terrible.

You killed the shaman then the totem? The totem must die as the last thing when the event completes. As long as no one touched the totem (it is destructible even before the event pops) you should have got credit. As such, file a support ticket.

Posted by: KevinK.4982

KevinK.4982

W O R ST design ever! I never feels I hate this game so much. In the past 3 days, I spent much more time on logging on and off instead of playing. Anet, thats how u guys intended to make nevermore to be rare in game?

Posted by: Tagar.6470

Tagar.6470

I agree 100% at “Friend of the Owl Spirit” hint DOES NOT SAY “Let Friend Of the Owls” fail….fix this please!!!

Posted by: BlackChaos.1960

BlackChaos.1960

I’d really like to see the Devs reconsider their decision to make this item available by stopping (or trying to stop) other people to play the game. Even at times where you think not a soul is around (3am for example) one single person not listening to the chat can, and will, ruin the trophy for a lot of waiting people.
After 2 years, that was the first time again that I was really annoyed by other people showing up – not because it’s their fault (at least I hope so, even though it seemed there are also trolls around grinding that event on purpose, jumping infront of you after they killed the shaman…), but because Anet thinks it is okay to BEG or even BRIBE other players so that they let the event fail, only to let the boss be killed by a random person walking by.

One thing that I would really approve is: Could you please just add the item to the heart vendor there? That would safe a lot of frustration coming from the ones that want to craft Nevermore, and confusion from people that want to play the game.