Why do you not play sPvP?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dindin.2378

Dindin.2378

pvp in gw2 is like playing an other game. it is not connected to the main world and neither connected to pve. i have the same problem with wvwvw. pvp and wvwvw are just minigames not attached to the “real world”.

the first time i logged in to try pvp and wvwvw was enough to make my conclusion. just not being able to use your pve gear and weapons was enough of a statement for me. if i want to play a competitive pvp game i’ll play a shooter…. no tx gw2…. connect it to the real world or gtfo.

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

being separate from pve/wvw is a big part of it.
but the “rush rush perfect strategy omg stop being a noob learn to play game over” is the biggest turnoff. I prefer slow setup, organize, prepare, execute. being thrown in head first and have to figure out what you’re doing after needing to do it is not for me.
more game types would be nice.
My ideal one would be where you build your own keep on your own time (have 10 turrets, 10 mercenaries, 10 siege, etc. that can be placed where you want on a landscape), then when you’re ready you join a game with others who’ve made their own keep, and you try to capture the others’ flags.
I tried pvp for a few hours. took me 4 games to realize there were capture points. I had gone into it thinking it’s one team vs. another; we are supposed to be killing each other. not exactly.

Posted by: TChalla.7146

TChalla.7146

I actually tried my hand at the hot joins here the other day. Up until then, almost my entire experience with Guild Wars 2 had been PvE and just a touch of WvW (more on that later). I played five matches, and here’s what I found.

1) The maps are tiny. It was almost claustrophobic to try and play and be effective.

2) Lack of strategy. I know this was hot join, but the amount of strategy seemed next to nill… at least form the teams I was on. Nobody would hold a point. I tried. But I’m a necromancer that really doesn’t know what he’s doing, so as you can imagine, it wasn’t pretty, especially when I’d face 2 or 3 opponents at the same time. And when I joined in on a group, I felt as though I wasn’t playing correctly and I should be defending what little we already had. So frustration set in.

3) Confusing combat. I was having a difficult time figuring out what class I was fighting against at any given time. I’m sure that is all my fault, but if I actually took the time to look, I was dead by the time I figured it out. I fully admit I’m an inexperienced player. That could be the bulk of it. However, sitting there feeling completely ineffective isn’t fun.

I’m sure I could add about ten more things to the list of what I didn’t like about hot join PvP, but I’ll stop there for now. I did try SoloQ before, but I was basically told I wasn’t welcome there because I was a noob. Not exactly a good way of gaining new players from my way of thinking. And I did soloQ basically because I didn’t even know how to hotjoin at the time. While my ignorance was on me, the attitude of the players was not. I honestly don’t think the hotjoin system is a great place to learn. It’s too frustrating overall, and I suspect it’s probably why a lot more players don’t actually try sPvP.

Now, on to the little bit of WvW I have done. Here’s what I notice.

1) Much, much, much larger maps. This is almost the other extreme from sPvP. The maps are almost too big. However, it was much a much better experience.

2) Not sure if it was good strategy, but there was certainly a more strategic feel to it from what little I did.

3) I didn’t feel like dead weight in WvW. Even if I didn’t know what I was doing as a necromancer (which I certainly didn’t), I could always defend using the various defensive parts of the buildings I was defending. And at some point, I joined a zerg, and actually had a great time, even though I eventually died.

All in all, WvW was a much more enjoyable experience than sPvP, at least for me.

Note: I failed to mention that I’ve been playing a lot of the Snowball Mayhem PvP this past week, and I’ve been having a great time with it. If Guild Wars 2 had more games like this, I personally would be more open to sPvP as a whole.

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

If I wanted to play PvP I would go back to the FPS game I loved, where the engine was designed to handle immediate updates and have 360 degree combat that is both strategic and tactical.

I have yet to find an MMO that does PvP anywhere near what an FPS can provide.

-This is a recording

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

Posted by: Kamikazi.5380

Kamikazi.5380

I play solo queue frequently to get Champion titles, currently working on Champ Shadow, but other than that I prefer WvW. I prefer a big open environment with different variables like what WvW provides rather than claustrophobic static arenas that are in sPvP.

I don’t zerg much anymore, so my WvW time is spent roaming a lot and I love trekking the battlefield looking for fights. It’s unpredictable, random; you don’t know whom you’ll run into and what kind of battle you’ll be stepping into. It’s kind of its own adventure in a sense. A 1v1 can turn into a 2v1 then a 2v3 then a 0v0 when a zerg rolls in and everyone scatters. It’s exciting.

As for the trash talking rude players people mention a lot in this thread, yes it happens, in every video game it happens be it PvE or PvP. Most importantly, its healthy. That’s right, healthy. Smack talk induces competition and people mostly PvP in this game not for the rewards but for the thrill of the fight. There’s nothing more satisfying than being smack talked at or getting /laugh at in WvW, then dunking them and jumping on their body and watching as they send you rage whispers. It’s funny, hell if there was no smack talking PvP would be incredibly boring.

As for the people who say GW2 has confusing combat, well you have to kind of blame Anet for all the flashy effects and the min sized Asura running around. Other than that, all I can advise it to learn other classes, play them, you are automatically level 80 when you step into sPvP with all skills and traits. Remember these are real players not static NPCs so it can be more difficult especially with players of high skill. GW2, believe it or not, is one of the most balanced MMO game out there.

(edited by Kamikazi.5380)

Posted by: TChalla.7146

TChalla.7146

I play solo queue frequently to get Champion titles, currently working on Champ Shadow, but other than that I prefer WvW. I prefer a big open environment with different variables like what WvW provides rather than claustrophobic static arenas that are in sPvP.

I don’t zerg much anymore, so my WvW time is spent roaming a lot and I love trekking the battlefield looking for fights. It’s unpredictable, random; you don’t know whom you’ll run into and what kind of battle you’ll be stepping into. It’s kind of its own adventure in a sense. A 1v1 can turn into a 2v1 then a 2v3 then a 0v0 when a zerg rolls in and everyone scatters. It’s exciting.

As for the trash talking rude players people mention a lot in this thread, yes it happens, in every video game it happens be it PvE or PvP. Most importantly, its healthy. That’s right, healthy. Smack talk induces competition and people mostly PvP in this game not for the rewards but for the thrill of the fight. There’s nothing more satisfying than being smack talked at or getting /laugh at in WvW, then dunking them and jumping on their body and watching as they send you rage whispers. It’s funny, hell if there was no smack talking PvP would be incredibly boring.

Funny… most of the negative comments I noticed came from my own team and not the enemy. It’s difficult to care to do well when all I see is one player from my team basically saying “I’m great, but we lost because of the rest of you.”

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

Because I can’t stand Conquest as a game mode.

Posted by: Umut.5471

Umut.5471

1. It gives rubbish rewards
2. Too. Many. Particle. Effects. I can’t really fight well enough to PvP when I’m having a seizure all the time and I can’t interrupt/dodge anything when I can’t see.
3. Asuras. I can’t tell what they’re doing unless I place a microscope on my monitor.

Lol, I completely agree on #3, this is why I have seperate asura characters(smallest possible) for spvp.
Asuras are op in pvp ^^

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

Funny… most of the negative comments I noticed came from my own team and not the enemy. It’s difficult to care to do well when all I see is one player from my team basically saying “I’m great, but we lost because of the rest of you.”

Pretty much spot on, yeah. Getting hassled by your opponent is one thing, but too many PvPers like to treat their “allies” like garbage.

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Because PvP has no story. One of the requirements for computers games for me is story. If it has no story, it is crud.

Posted by: Curby.4897

Curby.4897

Because I got tired of seeing a noob running around me like I was Stonewall Jackson because my Charr is poorly optimized in Skill activation and so all I get are canceled skills and missed throws.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

…there were goals other than ‘kill the other guys’. Goals that allowed me to out-plan my enemies. Goals that rewarded discipline over bloodlust. Goals that allowed me to die like a chump to three hostile players… but in doing so have lured them so far out of position chasing me that my teammates rolled the map objectives near unopposed.

sounds like gw2 pvp. especially the last sentence.

While that may be true, it certainly hasn’t given me that impression in my few forays into the experience.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Because it’s sPvP. Not everyone is a 12 year old twitch gamer with bad sportsmanship (which is my experience with PvPers in general). Why would I want to associate with them of my free will?

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

The main reason why i dislike SPvP, is because it’s too twitchy. There isn’t enough time to think about counters, cc, or overall stratetgy. It’s too fast-paced.
The other reasons: camera control, movement, overall combat system.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Because I am generally terrible at PvP in online games, and the first multiplayer game I played was open world PvP, and I kinda burnt out on it (I was kinda good at it initially, in that setting). I basically have no idea if I would like PvP in GW2 or not, I just assume I would hate it.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Because I am generally terrible at PvP in online games, and the first multiplayer game I played was open world PvP, and I kinda burnt out on it (I was kinda good at it initially, in that setting). I basically have no idea if I would like PvP in GW2 or not, I just assume I would hate it.

have you tried to have a friendly 1 vs 1 practice with a fellow guild member in some empty hotjoin game rooms before?

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

“No interest in smack talk”….“don’t want to deal with childish brats” O.o
Lol you’re silly

No offense intended, but pretty much every post you’ve made to this thread exemplifies what people don’t like about the “PvP community”.

You may not see it yourself, but believe me, it’s painfully obvious.

Just sayin’

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Guhracie.3419

have you tried to have a friendly 1 vs 1 practice with a fellow guild member in some empty hotjoin game rooms before?

I haven’t, no. I’m not even sure I know what you mean by that, I’m embarrassed to admit.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

I haven’t, no. I’m not even sure I know what you mean by that, I’m embarrassed to admit.

oooo okies!

well, you do know how to enter the sPvP lobby (heart of the mists) and have your character gear up properly (reset & choose traits, get free runes, sigils, amulet + jewel which determine stats etc) yes?

there is a NPC called “PvP Browser” in that lobby.
talk to that NPC to check out the PvP “Game Browser”

or, what i use nowadays is directly from the menu.
the same crossed swords icon at the top left corner, click that for the sPvP menu.
there are 4 small tabs button on the left side.

click the 3rd one for the PvP Game Browser, which is the same as talking to the NPC called “PvP Browser” in the PvP Lobby (heart of the mist).

you will now see a list of “hotjoin” game servers.
we call them “hotjoin” because players can join in and leave anytime.
no restrictions. auto balance will help balanced uneven teams.

those with default names such as Server 001, Server 100, etc are anet’s public game servers. while those with special names are player rented custom servers.

now, you can set up filters.
normally, people do not enter custom servers with 10 vs 10 team size settings, people usually play in 5 vs 5 rooms or 8 vs 8 rooms, set up a filter for 10 vs 10 rooms.

a list with a few custom servers should come up.
these servers should be empty i.e. 0/20

now choose a server and join it.
have your friend do the same thing.
or if mutual friends, have him right click on your name and select “Join Friend in PvP” if you are already in the server.

now there are only 2 of you inside there.

feel free to practice 1 vs 1 with a friend.
people usually do not enter team size 10 vs 10 game rooms, and 10 vs 10 game rooms only exist in custom servers.

anet’s public servers only have 5 vs 5 and 8 vs 8 game rooms.
all rooms have 0/20, i.e. 20 players limit though. usually.

Posted by: emilejuggernaut.1864

emilejuggernaut.1864

personally entering is like being on a character and you can spend ages getting valour etc but have nothing to show of it outside of it in LA or WvW if you got skins you could only get from spvp to use in pve and WvW then i would be interested or some variety in spvp.
The reason WvW is so much more popular is the diversity you can make yourself and the group fights sure domination is balanced for competitive play. But to get more people interested you need other game modes/larger fights for non arena and tourney players to enjoy. We have seen anet make good maps with high pop in mind WvW now apply some of it to spvp.

Posted by: Serdoc.7261

Serdoc.7261

I play a lot of PvP, and 1 thing I try to do as a PvPer is be kind to the new players who are obviously PvP-ing for the first time. It might help, it might not, but its worth a try.

See attachment.

Attachments:

I’m not sure, can you, umm…. do that again? ROM – 2015
#allisvain

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

oooo okies!

well, you do know how to enter the sPvP lobby (heart of the mists) and have your character gear up properly (reset & choose traits, get free runes, sigils, amulet + jewel which determine stats etc) yes?

(Snipped for space)

I really wish that actually worked. I’ve tried to do exactly what you’re suggesting, on a half dozen occasions for small 1v1 or 2v2 matches. Every time, we haven’t gone more than five minutes before someone came in uninvited to get some free kills for their achievements.

By no means am I suggesting that 100% of PvPers are that kind of spiteful vulture, who would watch just for rooms that show signs of being Noob Training Grounds. But enough of them are to maintain practically perfect round the clock coverage of the PvP lobby.

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

(edited by Melchior.2135)

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

oooo okies!

(Snipped for space)

I really wish that actually worked. I’ve tried to do exactly what you’re suggesting, on a half dozen occasions for small 1v1 or 2v2 matches. Every time, we haven’t gone more than five minutes before someone came in uninvited to get some free kills for their achievements.

By no means am I suggesting that 100% of PvPers are that kind of spiteful vulture, who would watch just for rooms that show signs of being Noob Training Grounds. But enough of them are to maintain practically perfect round the clock coverage of the PvP lobby.

well it worked for me and my casual guild members though.
our time zone is GMT +8:00

maybe less NA players online during our playing hours.

most of the custom arenas we play in are empty, yes, pugs may come, but most of them notices a duel, either wait in turn to duel with us or they leave.

those who disturb us are beaten down repeatedly until they get the message and leave.

sometimes we play “kill the pugs” when we have quite a few members say around 6+ with 3 of us on each team. they leave eventually.

i think the “play now” button should not send players into custom arenas, only into anet’s public 5 vs 5 hotjoin rooms.

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

WvW has more freedom. I can bring my character into it as they are.

Posted by: Deli.1302

Deli.1302

1-It’s a clusterkitten of particle effects making it very difficult to read your opponents actions

2- Crap meta. Conditions and cc’s are stupid.

3-Lack of tension or any mechanism for big plays to have an effect on the match

4-Capture points. Nuff Said

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

I am not competitive, and I honestly hate “pwning” people. I get no motivation from that, and often feel bad when people are caught alone and “ganked” en masse (even when I am part of the little horde).

I do WvW sometimes, but in general I just don’t like competing against players-I rather cooperate with them vs the A.I. taking part in heroic quests.

So in my case, it’s a personality thing. There’s nothing wrong with competing, I just don’t enjoy it as much as most people do (much as in real life.)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

It’s not good for my blood pressure.

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

Best reply yet.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

I play a lot of PvP, and 1 thing I try to do as a PvPer is be kind to the new players who are obviously PvP-ing for the first time. It might help, it might not, but its worth a try.

Play a Mesmer so you can clone yourself.

No such thing as too many helpful players.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Quick background on me. Started playing in October, did mostly PvE, then discovered WvW. Loved the concept but had no experience with player-player combat and I’d panic every time enemies got near. So I decided to spend some time in PvP over the last two months to get more comfortable with fighting other players, and have learned to like it, at least to a certain extent.

Anyway, it seems a very small percentage of players use this part of the game, and PvPers are always arguing about why that is. Seems to me that it’s missing the point to have people who engage in an activity speculate about why those who don’t engage in it choose not to, rather than asking those people directly.

So, to those of you who don’t participate in sPvP: what are the major reasons why?

The reason I didnt want anything to do with SPvP, is because coming from WoW, I learned how 5v5 pvP modes tend to kill the fun of PvP in MMOs, because it forces developers to balance classes to small scale combat which eliminates the uniqueness of classes over time.

I dont like Arena PvP. I play MMOs for large group fights. Not smallscale MOBA PvP.

Guhracie.3419

See attachment.

I hope you don’t mind, but I have added you to my friends list. I still don’t know if I will be brave enough to venture into the Mists, though.

edit Oh, and thank you all so very much for your kind responses. They all helped.

-Mike O’Brien

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

I am horrible when it comes to 1 vs. 1 or any sort of skill required in killing another player, and there are soooo many pro PvP’ers that would just wipe the floor with me, so I haven’t bothered with PvP since day 1 of GW2.

I’d rather stay behind in a zerg (or behind a wall or gate) and shoot fireballs and the odd meteor from afar at enemies, than get into a complicated battle that requires multi-tasking and knowing how every skill works and all that. PvP just isn’t for me, never will be either.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

Posted by: NSKaneda.1026

NSKaneda.1026

Since my return to the game after 5 month break I try to play sPvP every other day just to hone my skills (used to love doing scenarios in WAR) and I can feel the boredom of arenas creeping back in.

My main issue with sPvP is that:
- it’s separated from the game. What I do in the Mists stays in the Mists. It’s acceptable as means of training for me or my team but gets old very, very fast. Different skill set from PvE and WWW can only be confusing and it kind of nullifies learning advantage.

- it’s boring. Capture the flag over and over again, running from one circle to the other with occasional spawn camp… Add more game modes. Had I wanted to CTF all day I’ve played an online fps.

- maps are designed for bottle-neck kill-by-the-numbers playstyle (with exception to Battle of Kyhlo). They are also dull, small and frustratingly similar. Again, Kyhlo with it’s roofs, stairs, windows enables more ambush-based and sniper-tactic playstyle (find a spot, spike, change location). IMO maps too small for group tactics, too boring for solo roaming and too similar in design.

- There’s nothing to do in the Mists in between fights.

- downed state in a fast-paced small map environment is a buzzkill for me. Why spike a target down on RDPS character if I’ll have to switch to close combat and reveal position just to try few frustrating times to land that well-deserved KB?
Also, KB stealing with finishers kittenes me off to no end

- last but not least: three viable classes, few viable builds and the same playstyle across all game modes.

(edited by NSKaneda.1026)

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

I play PvP too, but i don’t feel like PvPing most of the time.

I got 8 x lv80, they are all build up and play as i like (not all zerkers) and they are all doing good in PvE. But seriously, I found most of these build i am comfortable with are not viable choice in PvP.

So i rarely go PvP.

Posted by: Grumpdogg.6910

Grumpdogg.6910

Pvp tards, smack talking, specific meta, no rewards, boring game mode, small scale (lacks ‘epic’ feel), is basically solo play because you can’t rely on your team (in hot join), specific number of players required for tPvP, etc etc

But the big one:

‘Twitch’ gameplay required but you have to fight the laggy unreponsive game most of the time…

“I swung a sword, I swung a sword again, oh look I swung a sword again!”
- Colin Johanson while spamming key 1 in GW2

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

Simple reason, I’m not the least bit interested in PvP. I never buy games that pit me head-to-head, and never play that aspect of any game that has it. I’m simply not a PvP’er.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

being separate from pve/wvw is a big part of it.
but the “rush rush perfect strategy omg stop being a noob learn to play game over” is the biggest turnoff. I prefer slow setup, organize, prepare, execute. being thrown in head first and have to figure out what you’re doing after needing to do it is not for me.
more game types would be nice.
My ideal one would be where you build your own keep on your own time (have 10 turrets, 10 mercenaries, 10 siege, etc. that can be placed where you want on a landscape), then when you’re ready you join a game with others who’ve made their own keep, and you try to capture the others’ flags.
I tried pvp for a few hours. took me 4 games to realize there were capture points. I had gone into it thinking it’s one team vs. another; we are supposed to be killing each other. not exactly.

Some kind of Tower Defense, but in MMO? Hah, could be a nice fun, however it’d have to be 1v1 or organised teams only.
Put something like this in yoloque and people would argue about one turret for an hour ;p

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

Why would I want to play a conquest game with MMO graphics and cross pacific latency when I could play conquest BF4 on a local server?

sPVP offers nothing new or interesting. That is why I don’t play it.

I love WvW though, it’s chaotic, unbalanced and never ending. The ebb and flow is the perfect endgame.

Posted by: Travis the Terrible.4739

Travis the Terrible.4739

PvP gameplay variation is little to none. Thieves, mesmers and warriors EVERYWHERE ALLDAY ERRYDAY

Not gonna bother with the gameplay type because they wanted objectives for people to do (hold points) which brings stale gameplay. Each map having its own gimmick is nice but each map having the same crappy stale match type.

Having simple Death Match, Capture the Flag, or something that’s not a turtle fest with 1/2 people roaming is just getting old.

Follow the darkness into the depths, it’s more fun than the light can provide.

(edited by Travis the Terrible.4739)

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

This^ is why i stay clear of all PvP not just Guildwars 2 PvP.

Simple reason, I’m not the least bit interested in PvP. I never buy games that pit me head-to-head, and never play that aspect of any game that has it. I’m simply not a PvP’er.

This too

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

At the moment because I’m too busy farming ascended materials (cough dragonite ore…) …

PvE combat is incredibly dull compared to pvp, but I really want that Light of Dwayna backpiece.

This!!!! If you want people to play PvP, award dragonite.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: Sampo.9678

Sampo.9678

See attachment.

We need more people like you in pvp
I pvp quite a lot and been helpfull as well to new players.
I’d like them to stay and keep trying to get better.

What might be fun to try is to go into a hotjoin room with a friend or guildie.
Then join the same room and same team and have a lot of fun together.
Atleast i like pvp a lot more when im playing with one or more friends.

“Be brave, little rabbit. Take a chance.”

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Very simply, because of the people that play it.

While I can be just as competitive as the next person, I’m not a kitten to a)new players or b)less than stellar players. Generally speaking, pvpers have no tolerance… I don’t kitten at my teammates, and I don’t wsper someone or use general chat to talk trash. However, I have found that the majority of pvp players do exactly that and I simply cannot abide it. It’s impolite and unsportsmanlike, and I was not raised that way.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Hopeless.5403

Hopeless.5403

TBH the concept and content is there but for me it’s the lack of control fighting another player 1v1. It just feels like it’s pure dps without many control abilities like a 3 second stun or something>?

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Because it has PvPers in it. If I wanted to be subjected to that behaviour, I’d play CoD on xbox live.

I’m grateful that the game allows me to avoid the children.

Hey, we’re not all like that. I understand there are a lot of jerks out there, but there are good decent people who enjoy competition without needing to gloat or throw mud too.

To answer the OP’s question: I sPvP, but what keeps me from doing it more often are the barrier’s to doing co-op sPvP. There’s tPvP, but the queue time tends to be long and it’s an uphill battle if you don’t have exactly 5 people. It also gets old having only small conquest maps available and there’s not much chance to call out incomings and such when the enemy is on top of you a second after you see them coming.

I mean, for PvP there are two extreme options: Huuuuuge open world WvW or tiny conquest in sPvP.

Posted by: Jelger.6758

Jelger.6758

As a regular sPvP’er i have a hard time relating to the “pvp tards, smack talking” and “smack talking childish brats” statements, and not because of the irony in these statements but because it’s not that different when you go pugging challenging PvE content. If I’m going to perform poorly with a badly performing build in an arah dungeon and my team can’t carry me then you’ll get a very similar experience. I can recall trying to pug Arah paths in the first half year after launch and half the groups had exactly this toxic behavior of smack talk, leaving and sheer elitism. The reason I, like many others, never experience this anymore is because I nearly always run in premade groups and the content isn’t that challenging anymore. I’m by no means saying that there’s no truth to these statements, but are we comparing things fairly here?

Posted by: ArmoredVehicle.2849

ArmoredVehicle.2849

1 Game mode and it’s capture point based, I got better games to play if I want to pvp.

In GW1 I loved Deathmatch 4vs4 which was my fav pvp mode.

EDIT: I wish the opposing teams can’t communicate like WvW is so the very few times I do sPvP I don’t have to read the childish comments.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

As a regular sPvP’er i have a hard time relating to the “pvp tards, smack talking” and “smack talking childish brats” statements, and not because of the irony in these statements but because it’s not that different when you go pugging challenging PvE content. If I’m going to perform poorly with a badly performing build in an arah dungeon and my team can’t carry me then you’ll get a very similar experience. I can recall trying to pug Arah paths in the first half year after launch and half the groups had exactly this toxic behavior of smack talk, leaving and sheer elitism. The reason I, like many others, never experience this anymore is because I nearly always run in premade groups and the content isn’t that challenging anymore. I’m by no means saying that there’s no truth to these statements, but are we comparing things fairly here?

There’s a reason I tend to avoid PuGs in pve as well…. but yes, you have a valid point. The trash talking children are as prevalent in certain pve modes as well, like dungeons.
Still, you have to brave the terrible to find the good ones I guess. Must be why I still attempt such things as dungeons and wvw with people I don’t know…and then get driven away from the desire to even attempt them for another 2-3 months…

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Lohre.9031

Lohre.9031

TLDR: It’s not fun compared to the rest of the game.

A few themes:

All that gear I spent months grinding for, I can’t use. All the builds I’m good at, I can’t use (have to learn new ones).

It’s hard to learn how. How do you learn? Try a build in hot join. Can you play on the same team as your friends? If you’re lucky and there is no rebalancing.

What happens when you are learning in hot join and you don’t do well? You get trolled by the trolls from the other teams (or your own team :O).

I can make more gold doing dungeon runs.

Suggestions:

Allow us to use our armors/weps from other aspects of the game in sPvp. I’d love to be able to show off my legendary and ascended armor. (I think this is coming in the future?)

It is impossible to run certain builds with the limited stat combos available in sPvp. Have more variation and combos. Let’s have all the pieces of armor and jewelry all at a set tier (exotic?) so we can truly have diverse builds. That or have a way in game to teach us new builds. Example: each class has a preset of a couple meta builds for the newbies (like me) to try out and see what they like.

Allow party members to do hot join. There are some amazing pvpers in my guild. When I want to join them in hot join I just have to hope we all can get on the same team. Why can’t we join as a team? This just boggles my mind.

The worst thing that can happen in WvW from someone on another team is emote spam or blueprint spam. Meh that is aggravating but it is nothing compared to straight rude people typing in chat. This is insanely frustrating, especially for new people who are trying to learn. Don’t show chat from the other team like WvW.

The new money bonus for playing is nice. For vets who do well every game, it can probably be profitable by converting the glory to gold. For someone who is just learning, they aren’t getting anything near what they could be in PvE or WvW. Have sPvp gold/glory boosters for people under rank 10? It’s not like you can turn off ranking up.

Please more game modes. Another no brainer here.

Edit: I sPvp sometimes. It can be fun when the stars align (my guild mates are on my team, there are no trolls, I do well enough to earn a respectable amount of gold/glory, some new skins drop from chests I earn). There are just so many things that could be done to make it more fun.

(edited by Lohre.9031)

Posted by: Oghier.7419

Oghier.7419

Because there’s no character progression.

If I wanted to play a straight fighting game, there are plenty of them to choose from. When I play an MMO, I expect long-term character and gear progression. If I want to play a MOBA or an FPS, I’ll go do that.

When I do PvP (and I engage in PvP in every MMO I play), I prefer open-world battles rather than e-sports. WvW is fairly well done in GW2, so that’s where I play.

Snit Dirtnap (Thief)
Ratbag Dogsticker (Guardian)
…Yak’s Bend

(edited by Oghier.7419)