Why do you not play sPvP?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

Because there’s no character progression.

If I wanted to play a straight fighting game, there are plenty of them to choose from. When I play an MMO, I expect long-term character and gear progression. If I want to play a MOBA or an FPS, I’ll go do that.

When I do PvP (and I engage in PvP in every MMO I play), I prefer open-world battles rather than e-sports. WvW is fairly well done in GW2, so that’s where I play.

This is a good post an explains why sPvP in GW2 has essentially been a flop. It doesn’t affect your actual character in anyway, you may as well be playing LoL for all the good it does your characters.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Posted by: Excursion.9752

Excursion.9752

I don’t play pvp in any game unless it is even across the board. I don’t see a way to do this unless there was a pvp to force same traits, skills, weps, and armor and even by class on each team.

| 80 (Guardian) Rusty Tooth | 80 (Warrior) Razer Tooth | 80 (Ranger) Eir Stegallkin |
| 80 (Mesmer) Brook Envision | 80 (Thief) Kuro Rin |

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

Lack of ability to diversify. Hard to tweak stats with just one amulet + one stone… one game mode… ZZZzzz….

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

Posted by: zeromius.1604

zeromius.1604

If I wanted to play a straight fighting game, there are plenty of them to choose from. When I play an MMO, I expect long-term character and gear progression. If I want to play a MOBA or an FPS, I’ll go do that.

When I do PvP (and I engage in PvP in every MMO I play), I prefer open-world battles rather than e-sports. WvW is fairly well done in GW2, so that’s where I play.

This is a good post an explains why sPvP in GW2 has essentially been a flop. It doesn’t affect your actual character in anyway, you may as well be playing LoL for all the good it does your characters.

The opposite could also be true. If you introduce power creep to PvP then essentially you’ve taken away the reliance on skill. Should players that have been playing longer have a stat advantage over those that have been playing less? How do you expect anyone to take PvP seriously at that point?

Posted by: meep.2601

meep.2601

one game mode… ZZZzzz….

just started spvp a few days ago as a last ditch effort to stay interested in this game because i’m basically giving up on WvW (been WvWing since the beta events) and i’m already getting bored with the one game mode.

have they said anything about releasing more modes for spvp? or did they really think standing in circles for over a year straight would be good for longevity

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

The opposite could also be true. If you introduce power creep to PvP then essentially you’ve taken away the reliance on skill. Should players that have been playing longer have a stat advantage over those that have been playing less? How do you expect anyone to take PvP seriously at that point?

Haha, there is no reliance on skill already, it’s about who is using the most OP build that counters your own OP build. I don’t know where this comes from, but you will probably not see skill based PvP in mmo’s for a long time to come.

If you want balanced PvP, FPS is the genre for you, and also MOBA’s, to an extent, although still heavily reliant on gear and skills rather than actual player skill.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

(edited by Aeonblade.8709)

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

Because of the people that frequent it.
Yeah, yeah, it’s been said a lot here already, but it’s still true.
Around a decades worth of experience with the ‘leet PvP’ crowd on multiple games has made me overly jaded and unsympathetic to a degree. Even I’ll admit that. But having players act like little, hormonal-raging manboys and waving their little kittens in my face about how great they are is not what I want to deal with.
Yes, I also know that not everyone is like that. and I also know that there are players like that in PvE.
But the old saying is true… It doesn’t take a lot of bad apples to spoil the whole bunch. And in PvE, I can ignore the angry little trolls. Hard to do that in PvP when they are gunning for me just to prove how pro they are or some other such nonsense…
The entire thing has just gotten old…
I lose a fight, I get a lot of insults thrown at me and their little kittens waved in my face….
I win a fight, I get a lot of insults thrown at me and get threatened…

So, let me ask this… Why would I want to have to deal with that? If PvE was like this, I wouldn’t be playing that either, no matter how great the rewards were.

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Posted by: Imbune.5497

Imbune.5497

Aside from thinking pvp in any rpg is a light-hearted, fleeting diversion at best (mechanics of a rpg doesn’t lend itself to proper fair competition imo so it’s just be for lols), the main reason I don’t pvp would be because of ‘pvpers’. Really the majority of them (and ‘leet dungeon runners’) are among the most obnoxious, toxic, fun-sapping and immature people you could have the misfortune of meeting…and why would I subject myself to such an experience?

When free speech ends, tyranny begins.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their proper name.

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

the rewards of being active in PvP are not tangible in the form of new shinies to be proud of till more come out. the MOST rewarding part of PvPing is honing your skill with your profession and playing against an intelligently controlled opponent vs. terribad AI garbage. the reward of seeing that stake sticking out of your opponents back is just as, if not more, rewarding as ‘another rare to salvage’. PvP will take you out of ‘robot mode’ and build you up as a player. surely a novice karate student might practice against a wooden dummy, but the blackbelts practice against their peers always pushing themselves to get a little better. there ARE rewards in PvP, but, for the most part, they are personal rewards and not something you can ‘show off’

(edited by Tman.6349)

Posted by: Holion.5604

Holion.5604

i dont play spvp due to my crappy pc, in group fights my fps drops down to 3 and my screen for freeze for 10 seconds after the freeze is gone i find myself lying on the ground with the other misfortunate souls

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

the rewards of being active in PvP are not tangible in the form of new shinies to be proud of till more come out. the MOST rewarding part of PvPing is honing your skill with your profession and playing against an intelligently controlled opponent vs. terribad AI garbage. the reward of seeing that stake sticking out of your opponents back is just as, if not more, rewarding as ‘another rare to salvage’. PvP will take you out of ‘robot mode’ and build you up as a player. surely a novice karate student might practice against a wooden dummy, but the blackbelts practice against their peers always pushing themselves to get a little better. there ARE rewards in PvP, but, for the most part, they are personal rewards and not something you can ‘show off’

But for what end other than “show off”? If “robot mode” lets you do all the content in the PvE world why hone your skills? So you can clear a dungeon or zone faster due to the poor AI? If all it takes is a five word a minute typist for the job, why hire some 60 wpm one? Why learn to become one?

I understand you find the challenge worthy of doing. I don’t, at least not in the environment that PvP seems to attract. PvP is generally populated by real or wannabe bullies who feel the overwhelming need to put the other guy down verbally. That isn’t a healthy environment to play in. Why would any mature person want to?

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Sundar.1735

Sundar.1735

I don’t play SPvP apart from when I’m doing Daily PvP, which I don’t really do everyday. The reason I don’t play it is that somehow I really don’t like it. PvP in GW1 was more addictive, especially the Random Arena, even when I wasn’t very skilled at it. I find GW2 PvP combat to be boring in comparison to GW1 and while I admit I’m even less skilled in GW2 PvP than I was in GW1 PvP, that is not the reason I can’t seem to like it.

Posted by: Chaotic Storm.2815

Chaotic Storm.2815

their separate worlds in this game. I play MMO’s for the PvE part more then anything. When I’m in any kind of PvP mood I just pick up a shooter or something more designed for fighting other people.

#ELEtism

Posted by: Invictus.5197

Invictus.5197

why play spvp when i can play wvw which has pve and pvp all in 1 …..massive zergs and helpful players in wvw

spvp just ain’t part of gw2 call it the 2nd cusin

3rd gen I5@3.8GHZ 660TI DC SOC
8gigs ddr3@1666mhz 1tb hd@7700rpm
win764bit home 750wht thermaltake psu

Posted by: cinus.8492

cinus.8492

I loved GW1 PvP. It had some flaws but it was extremely FUN.
An then AN removed everything, EVERYTHING that I loved about GW1 PvP and made GW2 sPvP.
How can I play GW2 sPvP in this case?
I can give it a try only if AN atleast removes conquest…

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

I can see where you are coming from, I get a similar feeling in WvW but instead of just my personal skill or achievement, it’s seeing a whole community share their experiences of overcoming challenges, whether they are great battles, smaller victories or crushing defeats, they are just so much more satisfying to me. Fishbowl PvP just doesn’t appeal to me when there are better game modes like RvR to enjoy.

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

lets have a laugh, shall we?

this is how you do it:

1. set up public pvp ts that anyone can join.
2. advertise ts in lobby.
3. stop playing competitively until community grows
4. go and play with community, not against them (drop your teams and get in hotjoins and carry your teams).
5. explain how things work on ts in real time

gl pvp guys, you can thank me later.

Posted by: Ferik.3127

Ferik.3127

How anybody that’s spent any amount of time in PvE can say that the PvP community is rude/toxic is completely beyond me and so bass ackwards I can’t even tell if it’s satire or not….

Lfg zerker only
Lfg lvl 80 only
Lfg experienced only
Lfg no noobs
Lfg no rangers
Lfg must show gear
Lfg heavies only
Lfg warriors and mesmers only
Lfg noobs will be kicked
Lfg 10,000+ APs only
Lfg ‘all of the above’ O.o

This is completely flawed logic tbh. I’ve done almost everything PvE has to offer, leveling and gearing 8 80s with a 9th slot for messing around, and I love it for the most part. There’s not really much that demands any skill though outside of dungeons, so I find myself doing those or FotM mostly. To pretend like PvE is just filled to the brim with stand-up, awesome, helpful people and that PvP is filled with a bunch of hateful trolls who threaten “to find where you live IRL and brutalize you” is completely rediculous and fallacious. I mean do you really believe what your saying. I’ve played since launch and have done more than my share of PvE content and am also rank40 in PvP and I’ve never seen so many elitist tools ever than trying to find a pug for a dungeon run. Apart from a bit of good natured trash talking, people in PvP are easy going BECAUSE they’re NOT playing for rewards which is the problem with the elitist/jerk part of the PvE community. People in PvP are there because they enjoy it, not because they’re grinding for some digital reward and fell the need to be rude for the sake of ‘maximum efficiency’ and shaving 2 mins off of a dungeon run. Granted there are occasional bad apples in PvP who take it way to serious and flame the chat or whatever, you will never be ostercized, ridiculed, or kicked from a group because of your profession/build/rank/etc. Most of these claims are completely unfounded and probably come from people who’ve never even qued a single match but hyperbole is always good for self justification I guess huh. I do agree though I’d be more likely to spend more time there if there were new/more game modes.

The voice of truth

Casual player of all races, classes and genders
Champion Slayer | sPvP Rank 90
Dragonbrand

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

Tried spvp again last night after not playing it for some time just to do the daily, I don’t know if it was just lag or maybe the skills do take longer to respond but left me quite annoyed. OP condition builds are killer in there. I just didn’t like it, not much rewards after a few matches either.

Wvw is still the place for me to be.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

Posted by: Axz.8430

Axz.8430

GW2 is a great game, but small team pvp isn’kittens strong point. Small fights are more about class balance than player skill here. Compare to say Eve online, where (for all its many other faults) small team pvp is 99% player skill.

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

I wonder how much time and effort and gold went into builds that were destroyed because the entire game was “balanced” and “rebalanced” for PvP, or because the hunt for the best build in PvP keeps unbalancing it?
Suppose there’s any bad feelings there?

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Why don’t I play it? Because it isn’t fun.

Posted by: Mojo.7986

Mojo.7986

The to do list in GW2 is too long to do anything just for the fun of it.

Farm 300 silk scraps a day (more than the game lets you store by default, per day)
Farm Dragonite
Farm Bloodstone dust
Farm Empyreal Fragments
Farm linen
Farm karma
Craft your time gated materials.
Get guild commendations
etc…

What did ANet think this would do to a game mode that does nothing to help you deck out your character?

As if that isn’t enough reason, I don’t need the attitude of that group generally speaking. It is in the PvPer nature to destroy their community through less than stellar human interaction. They eventually run out of people who will tolerate their antics.

Posted by: Shadow Phage.9084

Shadow Phage.9084

I played it a little shortly after launch, stopped, and played it a little more with friends, then stopped again.

Only having capture point maps killed a lot of my drive to play it. Seeing the same 3 maps killed a good chunk of my remaining drive to play it. Having up to 16 people crammed into a map meant for 10 further eroded my desire to play it.

Then there are some design choices and mechanics that are game-wide that I don’t really agree with, especially in PvP. Which is sad, because I really liked most PvP formats in GW1.

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

I suppose I don’t play it for the same reason it took me so long to get in to playing the game at all, I keep making comparisons to its predecessor and finding it wanting. Add in the fact that it has a seperate economy and I just can’t see the point.

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

I will hop in pvp to brush up on my 1v1 skills, or kitten around for a bit if I’m bored. My focus in the game is wvw, main reason being is that its way more fun. Pvp is so kitten slow, I dont give a kitten about capping points. I want to be a a huge 50v50 battle with blood, guts, and mayhem all the while the driver screaming for water fields and some kittenING HAMMER STUNS NOW.
There is no way that I would ever take pvp seriously, unless by some miracle gvg style combat of at least 20v20 became available. I guess thats not really pvp though. Too zergy for the skilled players, there is way too much spam for their personal qualities to shine through.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Posted by: BatsLoveCaves.5768

BatsLoveCaves.5768

I do play sPVP a lot. It is a solid, polished game mode with great maps and objectives. In my opinion it is even more solid (conceptually) than WvW is.

However, I can understand why people wouldn’t want to play it if they feel they’re not getting adequate rewards; glory is pretty limited in it’s use. The good news though, is that glory is being retired soon, and soon we’ll all earn gold through sPVP.

Posted by: Arnekun.6170

Arnekun.6170

I think progression and rewards in SPvP are much slower than PvE. Do a lot of difficult work fighting other players, but don’t go up much in rank, don’t get PvE loot, rarely get new armor, etc. Meanwhile PvE can crank out these kinds of rewards and progression relatively quickly and feels like a better use of time. I mainly use SPvP to practice WvW builds and most of my PvP is done in WvW which gives good rewards (Loot Bags Inc.)

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

More than one reason. I am not good at it in this game. And the current setup I find it also not fun to do.

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

PvP feels more like an activity like sanctum sprint etc…

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

Because I suck at PvP, and don’t really enjoy competitive play. I’d just rather play with other people than against them.

But I’d never begrudge people who do like it, so long as I’m not forced to take part in it (which is why 100% map completion can be so very annoying).

Polka will never die

Posted by: Qaelyn.7612

Qaelyn.7612

Thanks to everyone for their replies. Lots of food for thought, and at some point I may compile these observations to see how the more common objections compare.

My personal story.. I had never engaged in PvP in an MMO for many of the reasons already outlined: lack of personal familiarity, difficulty, and especially, the attitudes of the players I saw whenever I dabbled in it in other games. With GW2 I planned to avoid it as well, but I thought WvW was a cool concept and wanted to try it out. My lack of experience made it not fun at all though, as I would somewhat panic whenever enemies were around and just get slaughtered.

I went to PvP basically to practice getting better at fighting other players. For a while it was a lot of fun. I definitely learned my class better and got much more comfortable dealing with player combat. For a while I thought I might even enjoy PvP for its own sake. I also liked being able to tinker with builds “for free”.

But that bloom is rapidly falling off the rose for me as well, due to many of the complaints listed here already. Increasingly I find PvP more frustrating than enjoyable.

My main complaint is the flawed matchmaking system and constantly being put on teams with players who have no idea what they are doing, don’t care, or both. This has been made worse by the addition of PvP “dailies” and gold rewards that encourage people to play for reasons other than actually wanting to be there. And despite that, the rewards are still fairly awful.

You have the same few maps over and over and only one style of gameplay. People have been asking for months to have the worst map, Skyhammer, removed from the solo queue — something it would take minutes to do — and they are ignored.

As for other players, to be honest, I found them a pleasant surprise. Most are fairly decent folk and while you do encounter some abuse, it’s the exception rather than the rule.

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

I wonder how much time and effort and gold went into builds that were destroyed because the entire game was “balanced” and “rebalanced” for PvP, or because the hunt for the best build in PvP keeps unbalancing it?
Suppose there’s any bad feelings there?

Many. The nerfing-into-the-ground of the ele, because pvpers were too stupid to pack CC skills, + the destruction of RtL because ONE pvp build had too much going for it has wrecked the entire class for everyone else.

The fact that the (extremely rare) ranger builds that didn’t suck have been broken repeatedly has made the class useless except in pvp as a cond/spirit point holder, or a regen/tank in wvw.

The buffs that warrior got to make it viable in pvp has made it stupid-easy-mode in every other game mode, eclipsing all other classes.

The two biggest balance failures in GW2 are 1) giving everyone more-or-less the same damage potential with drastic differences in health and defense (this is the WORST balance move I’ve seen in any game, ever. 2) the utter failure to split skill nerfs between pvp and the rest of the game.

As it is, everyone who doesn’t PvP (that is, the majority of the playerbase) suffers to keep “balance” in PvP – a game mode based purely on one’s ability to sit in one spot and not die for as long as possible.

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

Splitting PvP and PvE balance, yet another great idea from Guild Wars that they decided to replace in the sequel with a jumping puzzle. Little know fact, one jumping puzzle for every phenomenal idea/mechanic that was killed off between the two.

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

Posted by: Qaelyn.7612

Qaelyn.7612

As it is, everyone who doesn’t PvP (that is, the majority of the playerbase) suffers to keep “balance” in PvP – a game mode based purely on one’s ability to sit in one spot and not die for as long as possible.

… and which still isn’t balanced anyway.

Posted by: Amiron.1067

Amiron.1067

Honestly, I can sometimes enjoy pvp, but there are a few things that really bother me.

1.) So tired of conquest mode. Give us team death match modes or arena modes. I want to fight people to the death for the sake of fighting and proving skill superiority, not playing king of the hill, dancing on top of a node like a ballerina. I loved arenas in WoW, and I think that GW2 sPvP would benefit greatly from a game mode like that since it’s so action based.

2.) Counter play is way too prevalent. It’s like a massive game of rock paper scissors. Your build wrecks one type of build, but in return, your build is wrecked by another one. But this is more of a MMO problem that I have, and is opinionated. I wish things were balanced like an FPS where it’s entirely about skill (think Quake Arena), not particular abilities, but it couldn’t be done here without homogenizing all the professions. It’s more of a preference for me, is all.

3.) All of my cosmetic items I earned in PvE mean nothing in sPvP. I can’t use my Kudzu, my sylvari gets stuck in ugly plate armor when I’d much prefer the cultural armor I’ve already earned and don’t want to grind for again, and like hell I’m going to do that. I already worked for it, why can’t I use the skin?

Posted by: Nausicca.6038

Nausicca.6038

I only do sPvP when WvW becomes too zergy. I generaly do a couple of maps then I go back to wvw or just log off.
I’m surprised by people who say spvp is full of jerks and childish players. I very rarely run into detestable players, while I can read trolls and hatefull comments everyday in LA mapchat.

I’m not into spvp modes much though. I enjoy open world pvp a lot more than classic pvp modes. If I could level faster with pvp rather than pve, I’d spend my whole time in spvp. Unfortunatly, even with the new tomes, it’s still faster to level in pve with personnal story, exploration, dailies, gathering and of course crafting.

VoxL, NSPPT

Posted by: Amiron.1067

Amiron.1067

While I’ll agree that pvp requires skill, I feel like you’re trying to insinuate that PvE takes none at all. If this is the case, I have to whole heartedly disagree and say that that it’s a very ignorant thought. Knowing how to handle specific mobs and landing the right timings in a rather chaotic fractal run can most definitely take skill, just a different kind of skill from the one you’re more familiar with.

And yes, there are (small) personal rewards, and of course the sweet taste of victory, but you need to remember this is an MMO, not Battlefield of Duty XIV. It’s a game that promotes the idea of cosmetic rewards, and I can guarantee you that I’d play more pvp if my character didn’t look like trash. I already grinded for a legendary. I already worked for cultural armor. Why do I have to re-earn those items?

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

While I’ll agree that pvp requires skill, I feel like you’re trying to insinuate that PvE takes none at all. If this is the case, I have to whole heartedly disagree and say that that it’s a very ignorant thought. Knowing how to handle specific mobs and landing the right timings in a rather chaotic fractal run can most definitely take skill, just a different kind of skill from the one you’re more familiar with.

And yes, there are (small) personal rewards, and of course the sweet taste of victory, but you need to remember this is an MMO, not Battlefield of Duty XIV. It’s a game that promotes the idea of cosmetic rewards, and I can guarantee you that I’d play more pvp if my character didn’t look like trash. I already grinded for a legendary. I already worked for cultural armor. Why do I have to re-earn those items?

if you’ll read my original post on this thread, you’ll notice that I said that DUNGEONS AND FOTM are exceptions to the ‘PvE Rule’ and those are what I usually find myself doing outside of PvP. You also wouldn’t be calling me ignorant and being defensive for no reason. Brush up on the topic and keep pace please and thanx. Cheers

Posted by: Apolyon.6937

Apolyon.6937

I came to the game as a PvP player. Actually my entire PvP guild from GW1 come to the game. And this is why I don’t play PvP now:

• No metagame. After one year and a half, the play style has not changed, still playing with bunker, roamer, etc…
  • No strategy. Battles are too fast, do your skill rotation and repeat. The one with one skill in cool down dies.
  • No guilds. There are no prestige from being in a PvP guild.
  • No game modes. I don’t specially like the only game mode available. I don’t dislike it either, but it becomes boring and repetitive too soon.
  • And the most important reason for me: No GvG.