Why does dodge cancel some casting skills, but not others?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Fatal OEfx.5910

Fatal OEfx.5910

Q:

I’m a warrior and I find it extremely frustrating that dodging cancels out my heal skill, specifically Mending.

I don’t understand why it would do this. I do not have this problem with other skills, e.g. applying signets. I can dodge through those animations without issue. I don’t know how many times I’ve died just trying to apply my heal but for it to completely cancel out as I dodged away from the enemy.

King Fatal – Lvl 80 Warrior Norn – Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: Masterpyro.4310

Masterpyro.4310

This is something I hope they look into. The game is built around movement and positioning and NOT standing still casting autoattacks, so I’m a bit confused by the need to stand still while casting some skills. As someone who has figure out how to cast magical spells at all, I think I would have found a way to do it while taking a step to the left at the same time.

Posted by: Echelon.5384

Echelon.5384

I don’t think you should be able to have your heal cast mid dodge but I don’t think it should give it an interrupt cd if you do. If you were able to dodge roll mid heal cast no one would ever be able to interrupt it.

Posted by: Masterpyro.4310

Masterpyro.4310

Fair point. That seems logical enough to work. I use my heal when, well, I NEED healed. If I have to dodge, then I have to dodge, and making me wait another 3 seconds to cast again just isn’t ok.

Posted by: plasmacutter.2709

plasmacutter.2709

I don’t think you should be able to have your heal cast mid dodge but I don’t think it should give it an interrupt cd if you do. If you were able to dodge roll mid heal cast no one would ever be able to interrupt it.

This is the key right there. If you’re casting something and are intelligent enough to dodge out of something nasty, you should not be penalized with an interrupt cd. It should be immediately available once you’re done dodging.

Posted by: Danicco.3568

Danicco.3568

Hmm, I think not… the interrupt CD is so players don’t spam/cancel their skills, which some have obvious animations and would cause… some terrible spamming.

You gotta choose between casting your heal, or dodging. If you used your heal at the wrong time, it’s your fault.
Also, all spells I tested that aren’t instant are cancelled when you dodge. The signets you mention must not have a cast time, or have a really fast cast time and by the time your character starts dodging, the spell is already off.

But really, casting WHILE dodging would be really weird…

Posted by: CHunterX.4083

CHunterX.4083

Hmm, I think not… the interrupt CD is so players don’t spam/cancel their skills, which some have obvious animations and would cause… some terrible spamming.

You gotta choose between casting your heal, or dodging. If you used your heal at the wrong time, it’s your fault.
Also, all spells I tested that aren’t instant are cancelled when you dodge. The signets you mention must not have a cast time, or have a really fast cast time and by the time your character starts dodging, the spell is already off.

Except you can’t “spam/cancel” with dodges, because you can only do two.

Posted by: plasmacutter.2709

plasmacutter.2709

my mesmer’s heals are not channeled.. i only get the hp after the cast completes. If I dodge before it completes, I get no hp. I should not be penalized in being denied the ability to heal for being intelligent enough to dodge something that’d shoot through the hp i’d gain from a heal.

Posted by: Fatal OEfx.5910

Fatal OEfx.5910

Given how hectic this game is at times, it’s really difficult to do something at “the wrong time”. Of course there’s a level of inopportunity, but say for instance you’re kiting and/or running away and cast your heal, then out of nowhere some stationary fireball turret felt the need to fire in your direction, yet I see the projectile before it hits me, I should be able to then dodge. That is a smart dodge. It’s not my fault the heal took too long.

And I’ll have to test it, but I’m sure my elite signet has a small cast time yet the cast animation occurs during the entire dodge sequence.

King Fatal – Lvl 80 Warrior Norn – Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: Ron Cordova.9824

Ron Cordova.9824

my mesmer’s heals are not channeled.. i only get the hp after the cast completes. If I dodge before it completes, I get no hp. I should not be penalized in being denied the ability to heal for being intelligent enough to dodge something that’d shoot through the hp i’d gain from a heal.

Channeling does not refer specifically to the spells that do damage over “ticks” as the cast bar fills up (a la WoW). If there is a cast bar, in GW2, you are channeling.