Why does everyone hate Trahearne?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: PanzerG.3270

PanzerG.3270

Such terrible voice acting.
Arguably the cheesiest lines in the game.

Pretty much that. No match for the decent people like Tybalt or Rytlock etc.

the fun factor: go to LA, slightly north of the mystic forge. There is an asura explaining the LA latrine system to some other npc. "We dont have outhouses, we have water closets..." That Asura has Trahearne's voice...

So, whenever I am on a storyline mission with Trahearne, I have to think “we don’t have outhouses…”

Posted by: leman.7682

leman.7682

Well, to put it into one sentence -

He encapsulates everything what’s wrong with the Guild Wars 2 Personal Story.

Leman

Posted by: Isslair.4908

Isslair.4908

I just hate this walking tree.

Really, first I do all the stuff, kill millions of risen and help orders. Then, out of nowhere, a sylvari tree-god says that everyone should bow to sylvari and says Trahearne is the leader. Why?! How?! What the kitten?!

This part of plot is so lame I can’t even understand why it was made this way. And he is an emprty character as well with zero personality.

I’d love to see him burn.

EU Aurora Glade

Posted by: Ashur Etil Lani.4518

Ashur Etil Lani.4518

He gives me flashbacks to Kormir. You do all the heavy lifting he takes al the credit. But at least he isn’t as bad as the other wilted weed that “helps” you in the priory story line. I was glad she got killed.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

“this will not end well”
grrrrrr makes me grind my teeth.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: aliquis.9180

aliquis.9180

Trahearne is ok. He lack a little charisma, but that’s not his fault cause he’s a plant.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet

Posted by: Noein.5893

Noein.5893

Trahearne: commander, to me.
Trahearne: what should we do next? choose a course of action
Trahearne: ok i will follow please lead.
Every single npc: Marshall Trahearne! you da best! even your sidekick deserves a little recognition.

Posted by: Sebbl.2806

Sebbl.2806

“this will not end well”
grrrrrr makes me grind my teeth.

Absolutely.
This (thread) won’t end well.

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

For me, it’s because he turned MY personal story into my personal sidekick story. I want to feel the hero

Posted by: Cyrus.8261

Cyrus.8261

My first run through the story was with a Sylvari and that alone made things more coherent when Trahearne is reintroduced to lead the pact. I don’t dislike the guy, but the storywriting leaves a lot to be desired.

When Trahearne was talking about never having led and the orders not having any faith in him, I thought I was going to see him fail bigtime then letting my character redeem him (or help him redeem himself).
Instead I get to talk to some NPCs that confirm they don’t trust him, then go and kill some more Risen. After that, every success is suddenly credited to his great leadership and the whole “no faith” matter is gone. No Order threatening to leave unless some mission is done, no failures whatsoever, except the one where you indicate your worst fear and see that happen..

There was so much potential for the story with the inexperienced hero thrust into command, but they just glossed over that. Having a hero fail, fall into despair and overcome it to rise up vs the Big Evil is huge cliché, but it WORKS. In this case it would also allow for some failure to happen without players raging about a no-win situation. After all, they’re not responsible for the failure, Trahearne is. And they get to drag him through the low point and out of it by his sorry roots, after which it would make sense that Trahearne follows the player’s choices in the story.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

My character got shafted in GW1 despite saving Tyria from the Titans, Sort of saving Cantha (they kind of self destructed anyway later on it seems), saved Elona, and the rest of the planet, from an evil god that I slew like a boss only to have a blind girl kill steal for all the glory, and saved the world again from the Destroyers and Primordius and didn’t even get a statue for all of it. Hell, even the glorious monument to how bad kitten he was is now a silly, forgotten ruin.

And now they did it all over again. This is Nightfall 2.0

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: beren.6048

beren.6048

Don’t really hate him. He is just the most boring character and the story contained so many much more interesting characters. Also, the story is about him, not about you. You should be the hero, the general. Not some NPC without any character or charisma who talks too much. Of all the super funny characters they imagined why they pick such an character is beyond me.

beren.6048

Trahearne: commander, to me.
Trahearne: what should we do next? choose a course of action
Trahearne: ok i will follow please lead.
Every single npc: Marshall Trahearne! you da best! even your sidekick deserves a little recognition.

Yes and this, you do everything and he steals all the credit. Very unsympathetic.

Posted by: Flynch.6034

Flynch.6034

I don’t mind being the sidekick and losing the glory to Trahearne too much, but what I would really love is if the devs re-wrote the ending and basically ‘offed’ Trahearne in such a manner that your character is forced to take over.

By ‘offed’ I mean, killed or possibly turns out to be a traitor or something. Anything. Just a twist that leaves the character/underdog coming up trumps in the last chapter, forced to make tough decisions etc etc

Bit more meat on the bone for the storyline.

Posted by: EyeSeeSound.1348

EyeSeeSound.1348

I really enjoy the game but I stopped paying attention to the personal story weeks ago. such dull tedious game play, have had to repeat a couple of long tedious instances due to it bugging out and despite being 80, full exotic and 250 hours plus I’m still only about 3/4 through the story and have to force myself to do it.

personally I’d rather have had another level 80 zone not like Orr to explore and then run around with the time they spent faffing around on the individual yawn fest of the personal story.

apart from the nonsense of the gambling forge the PS is the worst part of he game

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

I really enjoy the game but I stopped paying attention to the personal story weeks ago. such dull tedious game play, have had to repeat a couple of long tedious instances due to it bugging out and despite being 80, full exotic and 250 hours plus I’m still only about 3/4 through the story and have to force myself to do it.

personally I’d rather have had another level 80 zone not like Orr to explore and then run around with the time they spent faffing around on the individual yawn fest of the personal story.

apart from the nonsense of the gambling forge the PS is the worst part of he game

What has that got to do with Trahearne?

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Posted by: Prophecy.5204

Prophecy.5204

Because he is an otherwise boring, insecure character. And worse, after level 50, it becomes HIS story, not your story.

Just a terrible character that I don’t think has any real impact on the story as a whole. He’s not truly developed, has no depth, and yet becomes the focus of all your questing post 50.

Posted by: Starhawk.2958

Starhawk.2958

I hate Twiggy and that’s all I have to say about that.

Posted by: Starhawk.2958

Starhawk.2958

I don’t mind being the sidekick and losing the glory to Trahearne too much, but what I would really love is if the devs re-wrote the ending and basically ‘offed’ Trahearne in such a manner that your character is forced to take over.

By ‘offed’ I mean, killed or possibly turns out to be a traitor or something. Anything. Just a twist that leaves the character/underdog coming up trumps in the last chapter, forced to make tough decisions etc etc

Agreed, I think it would be awesome if the dragon set him on fire with a flame blast and he ran around the forest screaming for someone to put him out, there by setting the entire forest on fire and wiping out the Sylvari as a race. =p

Posted by: Ravina Gray.4719

Ravina Gray.4719

He starts out ok being all humble and doing something he doesn’t really want to for all the right reasons and ends up dishing out stupid token titles like Marshall and Commander on a massive power trip. Oh and because he has a really annoying pompous voice and his dialogue is awful.

Posted by: Noviere.7309

Noviere.7309

I don’t hate him… But I find him completely uninspiring. He lacks personality, and his voice acting/dialogue didn’t help at all. Also, he is useless in a fight despite wielding a legendary artifact.

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

He’s the Prince Rurik, Master Togo and Kormir of GW2.

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

Posted by: tasaunders.3746

tasaunders.3746

Trahearne is the C-3PO of Guild Wars 2. He always has something to say, but never anything of particular importance. It doesn’t help that I find Sylvari in general mildly annoying but Trahearne takes the cake.

He isn’t the hero the story tries to sell him as and he sure as heck doesn’t inspire me. If there had been an option to trade his life for Tybalt’s, or any of the mentors really, I’d opt to sacrifice the talking plant every time.

Posted by: Asglarek.8976

Asglarek.8976

Trahearne trolled your personal story is why everyone hates him "its not all about you really its all aboutTrahearne "

Posted by: chocomamma.1539

chocomamma.1539

Thanks for the confidence Eeyore.

LMAO!!! That is so true and so funny!

“Insert enemy name here” eat lead pew pew pew :p

beren.6048

Actually looking back at it I do hate him. We should have an choice point in the personal story that gets him killed. I prefer him to be 1 of the dragons with a special skill like rays of boredom or sleeping voice. If I had to choose follow Trahearne or follow Zaithan, well lets say the undead dragon looks really awsome.

(edited by beren.6048)

Posted by: Xant.3025

Xant.3025

I would have liked him a lot better if his appearance hadn’t suddenly replaced my mentor. Mind, I’ve played all of the stories, and all three of the mentors are very cool.

Then you replace them with the monotone Trahearne who doesn’t make sense on a lot of levels.

1 – Why is he going out on the front lines with me if he’s so important? Queen Jenna doesn’t go kill bandits with me. The Vigil’s General Almorra doesn’t. The head of the Order of Whispers sure doesn’t. The Priory’s head scholar doesn’t.
2 – I’m a human. I’ve never even heard of this guy. Why am I gonna hang out with him? Give this guy a book and gimme my partner back – they had a lot more personality.

Posted by: showatt.9413

showatt.9413

He’s green.

Nuff said.

Posted by: EyeSeeSound.1348

EyeSeeSound.1348

What has that got to do with Trahearne?

Everything. At a sub textual level.

Posted by: Satans Chosen.1024

Satans Chosen.1024

I dislike all heroes of his type. I am the kind of guy who likes chilled out attitude most of the time (secretly working hard to improve one’s self is fine, but chilled out attitude must be maintained) and becoming serious/carrying the weight only when it really matters, which should be rare for a hero. Instead, he’s serious all the time and when s**t hits the fan, he can’t carry any weight. But that only leads me to dislike him. I hate him because he talks too much to my character, and the conversation from both really irritates me. That’s another thing. A hero really shouldn’t talk that much on subjects that really matter to him. Do or do not.

Posted by: Esorono.1039

Esorono.1039

Trahearne: Yeah, sorry about Tybalt I’m replacing him and now I’m the leader of the pact. I know about Orr but useless in just about everything else. I have a bland personality, and can summon 5 elite minions, but only twice. Anyways, I have no idea what the hell I’m doing help me Riltmos! Should we kill the mouth of Zhaitan, or just stop some of the undead that bring food to it?

Riltmos: Really? It’s obvious that we should destroy the kitten source! If we just prevent the mouth from being fed, the undead will find a way around it.

Trahearne: This was my idea by the way! Uselessly and helplessly flails throughout the mission dying multiple times despite carrying one of the most powerful lore weapons while Riltmos does everything with a boring, beat up weapon from Orr. Oh boo hoo, not everything went exactly as planned, please feel sympathy for me.

Riltmos: Shut up, you’re a leader, act like one.

Trahearne: As soon as people arrive. Hey look! I killed the Mouth of Zhaitan all by myself with no help, praise me!

Everyone else: Yay for Trahearne!…Who is that charr next to you?

Trahearne: Oh him? I forget his name, I just call him commander.

Riltmos: I hate you Trahearne…

250 years later the Priory talks to a group of adventurers about the tale of how Trahearne flawlessly led the Pact and stopped Zhaitan. Recent discoveries have found he may have had someone helping him, but the name, race, and gender is unknown. Records conclude that the assistant was just a useless freeloader hoping to gain recognition by joining with Trahearne.

…And that is why I don’t like Trahearne.

Playable Tengu please!

Posted by: Joystick.4103

Joystick.4103

I would say its the voice acting, he sounds like as if hes explaining safety on planes.

Posted by: StormcrowX.9236

StormcrowX.9236

I’m probably one of the minority who don’t hate him, lol. But yeah, that guy does seem kind of emotionally…flat and disconnected. (thats my impression anyway) To his credit though, it appears that virtually nothing seems to phase him. Oh no, the outer gates are being overrun by risen! For the greater good we must shut the gates and leave the soldiers out there to die! Okay, cool beans….. Oh no! The inner gates are being overrun, we must shut those too! Okay, no problemo. Hardly any emotional response to anything, just flattened affect.. Not sure if thats a good thing or not, it being wartime and everything, but it certaintly doesn’t endear him as a personality.

And after each violent encounter, no matter how dire the current circumstances, he just calmly sheathes his sword and says “Moving on.” in that droll monotone. Theres just something so ridiculous about it that it makes me giggle a bit inside.

As for the stealing your glory thing, I don’t really care. I got to kill Zhaitan and Trahearne got to sit at home twiddling his thumbs and didn’t become a God.. (thank goodness, kitten Kormir, now she* was even more useless)

You are not one of their “most dedicated players”. Don’t worry, neither am I apparently.
-NaughtyProwler.8653

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

This. And as we all know, nobody liked kormir

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

No, don’t dislike him. I dislike the fact that the Sylvari get to play the leading role, making my character and her race look like a bunch of imbiciles. We also have magical guides, powerful weapons and wise people. Why does everything have to be about the new race?

And for another matter, I miss Faren. I really liked him and it would have been great if he’d shown up at the final fight. Even if it’d just been to wish me luck at Fort Trinity.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Posted by: EdwinLi.1284

EdwinLi.1284

You really want that job Trahearne will be getting from now on which is to remain in Fort Trinity for the rest of the Future Personal Story filling paper work of where Pact Units will go and what supplies goes were and where the bases should be deployed for the entire personal Story and never leaving Fort Trinity ever until all Elder Dragons are dead?

If I wanted that kind of job then I would be playing Command and Conquer.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

You would have though they’ve learned anything at all from their past mistakes, XDDD

In dungeons you get allies that are more like Devona and company in GW1, but in the personal storyline, they give you the crappy “Decent allies die when right when you were getting acquainted with them, horribly bad allies get all the credit after doing nothing” we also had in GW1.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Azjenco.9425

Azjenco.9425

The best response I can give is to quote South Park…

“He took yer job!”

Pretty much that. You are the hero of the story, building yourself up over this long tale, achieving personal growth, working your way up through one of the orders, brokering an alliance with another race, and fighting back the risen. You felt like a hero.

But then he stepped in. Taking charge, giving you orders, and taking credit. The game went from ‘this is my story’ to ‘welcome to Trahearne and friends’… And he is so boring. He shows so little personality.

This is how it should have been…
When you got to Orr, you should have led your order through many campaigns. Meanwhile, Trahearne acts as a mediator between the orders, taking information from one to the other, and let them deal with what’s happening. The Vigil leads its forces on the forefront. The Priory uncovers arcane orrian knowledge and artifacts, granting the Vigil an edge in the war effort. The Whispers fight from the shadows, reconnoitering strategic info back to the Vigil, while assassinating key targets.

Trahearne should have been a intermediary, not a commander, while you lead the initiative on Orr. Uncovering info as Priory, doing espionage as Whispers, and taking the enemy head on.

At least he should have had some personality, not being flat, and ‘boohoo, I cannot do this or that, ooh but wait with my friends I can do anything’… ugh, he feels so cliched.

Posted by: bionaknight.9210

bionaknight.9210

Here’s my opinion:

Arenanet attempted to weave the story together like a tapestry. Each player can only see their thread from beginning to end. Trahearne and the Player are co-stars, not something that players are used to (Take SWTOR, for example. In that one, it’s only you, you get the glory, the title, the victory, etc). In the end, the Pact Commander seems to be a close friend and ally to Trahearne, and, of course, the slayer of Zhaitan and friend of Destiny’s Edge.

For battle, glory, and legend! -Pauriak, 80 Norn Warrior, Jade Quarry Server.

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

Here’s my opinion:

Trahearne and the Player are co-stars, not something that players are used to

I dunno, i mean take for example Tybalt; he pretty much runs the whispers story arc up to claw island, yet everyone loves him. He’s a fun character, great dialogue and development.

Trehearne is… shall we say… “Wooden” (Pun intended)- he doesn’t come over as a commander; I know at first he’s a scholar, but even after he’s taken up the pact reigns he still delivers his lines with all the vigour of an autocue.

Unless we can connect with our co-star, his role will always feel forced upon us, and that is what players dislike, having characters forced upon them, NOT that they arn’t used to or capable of co-operating with characters. It’s ironic because even Arenanet acknowledged how awful Rurik was, and yet Trehearne is little more than Rurik Mk2, and yet unlike Rurik we arn’t at least spared from him after the first act.

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

(edited by Ryuujin.8236)

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

How would you feel if one day you walked into work and all of the sudden your new boss is a plant?

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

I didn’t really hate him or anything,i think the character itself Looks good,but his voice is uninspiring and boring.Imagine him doing the Braveheart charge speech,i think the men would fall asleep from boredom or just switch sides to the enemy to be able to make him shut the hell up.Besides..it feels like he stole my role in playing a bigger part in saving Tyria then i did,eventhough it was me that did all the fighting and it was him that made the enemys fall asleep with his " inspiring words ".

Posted by: Karast.1927

Karast.1927

He’s not a Dwarf!

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

I’m just bitter that Sieran died instead of him.

Posted by: drifter.8453

drifter.8453

I can’t stand him he rarely does anything at all. I would catch a glimpse of him costanly standding around why my character is getting mobbed. “For the Love of god get these mobs off me! They should be mobbing you not me.” Is what goes through my head everytime I go off on an adventure with him.

Posted by: lagrangeify.5641

lagrangeify.5641

it’s because he’s a worse mary sue than the vast majority of devoiant art fanfiction.

if kirk and spock had a baby and that baby went on to save the galaxy single handedly and marry wesley crusher, it would be more interesting and less 2 dimensional than traehearne.

bella swan has more depth and pathos than traehearne.

You had me right up until the Bella Swan part. She makes Trahearne look like Jim Carey.

Posted by: Lutharr.1035

Lutharr.1035

Because he is a pansy and we have to do all the hard work while he steals the glory! Real leaders inspire you to greater things. He made me wish I could chop him down more than Zhaitan.

Go back to WoW. Most overused brainless arguement 2012-2013

Posted by: bluejay.6739

bluejay.6739

The voice actor assigned to Trehearne took the director’s advice that “You’re a tree…” WAY too far.

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

The voice actor assigned to Trehearne took the director’s advice that “You’re a tree…” WAY too far.

hahaa this made me laugh

Posted by: Twaddlefish.6537

Twaddlefish.6537

Credit-stealing, wooden-voiced (ho ho ho), kitten prat of a non-entity in your story.

Still, more likeable than Logan.