Why does /s persist, but /g doesn't?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Puddles.6385

Puddles.6385

So, I play on tarnished coast, and spend a good deal of time in Rata Sum. I bring this up because there is a really cool RP community in RS, so a lot of things get said is the /s channel.

So let’s say that I’m hanging about in RS, seeing all this RP text (which I like, but am not a participant in), along with guild chat messages. I then decide to change characters, as I often do.

Upon logging into the new character (who is in a completely different map), all of the messages in the chat log from my guild are erased from my chat log, but all of the “says” and map chat messages persist, despite the fact that I am not even in the same zone.

I’m not saying that map and say chat should not be preserved when zoning or changing characters, but merely that, since it’s clearly possible for chat to persist while changing characters, shouldn’t guild chat be a fairly high priority? I certainly care far more for what is said there than I do for anything typically said in LA map chat, and I doubt I’m alone in that.

I suspect it has something to do with the multi-guild system, but for those of us (once again, I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one) whose characters always represent, and only belong to, one guild, this is completely infuriating. Right before a dungeon run (the time when it seems most people are likely to change characters), any information that needs to get to everyone usually has to be repeated multiple times because anyone in the midst of changing characters will simply never see what has been said.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Party chat disappears also when you leave it.

Maybe because you can switch between guilds and parties, its considered temporary and deleted where as map, whisper and say chat are permanent to that area/person and so not deleted even if you switch.

Posted by: Zorby.8236

Zorby.8236

/s stays if you log to a char in another zone…so…
And this has always bugged me, why can’t gchat be clear only when you log onto a char not in that guild, instead of when logging out any char.

~This is the internet, my (or your) opinion doesn’t matter~

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

I’ve always wondered this myself. Though I can understand it being temporary like party chat. I see no reason that it should filter out if you log into a character in the same guild.

Hopefully its something they will look into. As it would be quite convenient.

Puddles.6385

I’ve always wondered this myself. Though I can understand it being temporary like party chat. I see no reason that it should filter out if you log into a character in the same guild.

Hopefully its something they will look into. As it would be quite convenient.

Unfortunately, there aren’t enough people whining about it, so I’m sure it’s extremely low priority.

Puddles.6385

So it seems that party chat goes away along with guild chat. Does anyone else feel like these are backwards?

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

i agree op its backwards and bugs me to know end. id prefer to know what a guildy said last minute before i switch chars compared to random world stuff

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

It’s backwards. For one thing, people who get kicked out of parties because of griefing lose those messages which might be about it, as well as the names of the people in that group. And I would rather lose map or say messages than lose the guild chat conversation.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

The way I see it, it’s dumb that any chat gets removed, but especially dumb that guild chat does,. but map chat doesn’t. I’m FAR more likely to be in a different map when I log into an alt than I am to be in a different guild.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Hmm, that’s because guilds aren’t important. This game isn’t called… oh crap.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Puddles.6385

The recent addition of LFG & Solo Q have proven to me that, if you whine loud enough, ANet will change what you want changed. Unfortunately, little niceties like a useful chat log or a functional guild pane seem to fall by the wayside in favor of the vocal minority’s knicker-twist of the week, though the chat log and guild pane affect everyone.

I was playing some GW1 the other day, and I was struck by how good the chatlog was there compared to here. Clearly ANet knows how to do make a good one, I just don’t understand why they haven’t done it yet.

Posted by: Tikky.6231

Tikky.6231

Normally, i’d be content to just ‘+1’ the OP, but sometimes, i wonder if that’s enough. So i’m posting to say that i agree, that i find it equally silly that /g and /p doesn’t persist.

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

The recent addition of LFG & Solo Q have proven to me that, if you whine loud enough, ANet will change what you want changed. Unfortunately, little niceties like a useful chat log or a functional guild pane seem to fall by the wayside in favor of the vocal minority’s knicker-twist of the week, though the chat log and guild pane affect everyone.

I was playing some GW1 the other day, and I was struck by how good the chatlog was there compared to here. Clearly ANet knows how to do make a good one, I just don’t understand why they haven’t done it yet.

i said that right from the start gw1 chat system was way better. they could have just brought a version of that one no need to make a new one

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

This is one of those tiring issues that has been explained to death, then back, then back to death again, then once more to life, and then one more time to putrid death for good measure.

Technical limitation. Since you can join any amount of guilds, and guild status are tracked per-character, they simply can not guarantee that you’ll log from and to the same guild.

While I personally agree that guild-status makes far more sense in a “per-account” basis, that is a different issue entirely. If you happen to be a technical wiz that knows how to fix their existing problem feel free to send the support team a ticket with the answer, I’m sure they’ll appreciate it.