Why does stealth work against dredge?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gluttony.2017

Gluttony.2017

I mean, they dont have eyes, and blind doesnt work against them either…. so why does going invisible work against themi if they cant see you anyway oO? Fix this bug, buff dredge!

Posted by: critickitten.1498

critickitten.1498

I mean, they dont have eyes, and blind doesnt work against them either…. so why does going invisible work against themi if they cant see you anyway oO? Fix this bug, buff dredge!

….ya know, that’s actually a really good point.

Dredge supposedly sense you via hearing and other methods….unless stealth somehow conceals the noise you make too (through the power of fairy magic), dredge shouldn’t be affected by stealth.

Remember when our developers talked about “strengthening the core game”?
How’d that work out for us so far?
Now let’s try some ideas that will really work.

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Dredge do have eyes, it’s just that they don’t see that well at all.

Posted by: Brutal Arts.6307

Brutal Arts.6307

The same reason you can chill ice elementals, or burn fire elementals. Laziness.

You have gotten what you paid for, all that remains is biweekly gemshop pushing.

Posted by: PowerCat.5738

PowerCat.5738

Same reason why fire elemental work underwater

Posted by: Zandiya.8475

Zandiya.8475

Don’t forget the amazing ability of making ghosts bleed…

critickitten.1498

Well, obviously they’re bleeding, um….ghost fluids….

>_> <_<

Yeah, it boils down to the game not having obvious immunities and functionality applied properly to monsters.

Posted by: Chessrook.8643

Chessrook.8643

Ectoplasm? Because yeah, I can understand ghosts or wraiths bleeding ectoplasm, or golems bleeding oil.

Now when you get to games that allow SKELETONS to bleed… that’s when you gotta wonder what the bloody eff.

Posted by: Elthuzar.9478

Elthuzar.9478

I’m of the understanding that Stealth is inclusive of hiding and sneaking, therefore Dredge are not immune because of the sneaking or Tip-Toe portion of stealth.
Blind is in direct relation to attacking the optical senses, where as stealth is a general description of avoiding detection, which includes optic, auditory and olfactory senses.

The Painted Norn of [WILD]We Intercept Lost Dolyaks

Posted by: Chessrook.8643

Chessrook.8643

…Olfactory? How are you going to…. so quickly… and disappear… like… I just…

ERROR. BRAIN REQUIRES REBOOT.

Posted by: Elricht Kaltwind.8796

Elricht Kaltwind.8796

It’s a moot point. Stealth is magic. I realise that may seem a bit like “a wizard did it,” but it’s not — every class in the game uses magic in one form or another, and thieves use it to stealth. It’s not just “hiding in the shadows.” Thieves also use magic to teleport (shadow-stepping).

Besides, one could just as easily argue that stealth is not only about masking sight, but also sound. If Dredge navigate by sound, then thieves could simply remain hidden from Dredge by eliminating the sound signature of their footsteps.

Posted by: TWMagimay.9057

TWMagimay.9057

Besides, one could just as easily argue that stealth is not only about masking sight, but also sound. If Dredge navigate by sound, then thieves could simply remain hidden from Dredge by eliminating the sound signature of their footsteps.

What about smell? I doubt stealth also comes with a shower and even if it did, a wet charr would still smell like a wet cat…

Posted by: Rustypipes.6238

Rustypipes.6238

We fight dragons who command hoards of undead and you want to nitpick over logic?

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

yeah sure, gimp thieves even more with these guys

Posted by: Son of Elias.5420

Son of Elias.5420

What about smell? I doubt stealth also comes with a shower and even if it did, a wet charr would still smell like a wet cat…

It’s magic that makes you invisible, right? It could simply shroud everything that comes off you; reflected light, sound, scent, etc. You’d become a walking void that can’t be seen or heard or smelled.

A Charr thief would especially be concerned about scent, considering.

“A man who trusts everyone is a fool.
And a man who trusts no one is a fool.
We are all fools, if we live long enough.”

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

The same reason you can chill ice elementals, or burn fire elementals. Laziness.

If by laziness you mean balance , then yes.

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

critickitten.1498

Ectoplasm? Because yeah, I can understand ghosts or wraiths bleeding ectoplasm, or golems bleeding oil.

Now when you get to games that allow SKELETONS to bleed… that’s when you gotta wonder what the bloody eff.

….um….they’re bleeding…..skeleton fluids?

>_> <_<

Posted by: Xomic.5792

Xomic.5792

Well, if that’s so, why can’t we blind Dredge? Surely it wouldn’t be too hard to magically generate a loud noise to deafen them and throw a handful of pepper into their noses, thus preventing them from smelling or hearing you…

Posted by: Amos.8760

Amos.8760

….um….they’re bleeding…..skeleton fluids?

>> <<

Marrow. The word is marrow.

My turret is so much better at this game than I am.

Posted by: Minos.5168

Minos.5168

While there’s all these contradictions, unfortunately, conditions don’t work on “structures.” One of which being the Ice Storm in the snowy fractal.

I think they should change that… Even if it’s silly. As it is, condition stats seem such a waste, compared to going with pure power and critical hits.

Oglaf.1074

While there’s all these contradictions, unfortunately, conditions don’t work on “structures.” One of which being the Ice Storm in the snowy fractal.

I think they should change that… Even if it’s silly. As it is, condition stats seem such a waste, compared to going with pure power and critical hits.

As a result it also doesn’t work against Dragons, since for some reason Dragons are Structures and not Creatures.

Do you even lift, bro?

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

I’m of the understanding that Stealth is inclusive of hiding and sneaking, therefore Dredge are not immune because of the sneaking or Tip-Toe portion of stealth.
Blind is in direct relation to attacking the optical senses, where as stealth is a general description of avoiding detection, which includes optic, auditory and olfactory senses.

This is pretty much the answer, right here. Being “invisible” is sort of a visual shorthand, or metaphor, for what’s really going on. It’s basically like how your attacks do more direct damage when you have a higher “Power” stat, and not when you physically mash the keyboard harder.

Why should the dredge have any sort of immunity to sneaking around? Even if I grant them advanced hearing or smell to compensate poor eyesight, we can easily assume a skilled thief would be able to toy with those senses too.

Heck, let’s just say that a thief is trying to sneak up on a dredge, and the dredge hears him coming and spins around to face his attacker. Okay, now what? Despite what Daredevil comics and anime may have suggested, blind people are not the most adept fighters.

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

The real question is why aren’t Dredge permanently afflicted with Blindness?

This is not influenced by any bias or hatred towards Dredge. At all.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

Oglaf.1074

In the same way Daredevil isn’t “afflicted” with Blindness.

Do you even lift, bro?

Auesis.7301

In the same way Daredevil isn’t “afflicted” with Blindness.

Guess my joke flew right over. Lesson learned: I’m not funny.

Tool tip: “afflicted” refers to the in-game condition, like being afflicted with Poison or Weakness.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

Oglaf.1074

I understood what you meant, and my answer remains the same. You could have perma-Blindness on them, but it would just have to be the icon for Blindness that in reality doesn’t do anything.

Do you even lift, bro?

Auesis.7301

What I’m trying to say is that I hate Dredge. Everything about them disgusts me, and if they fumbled around like buffoons, my life would be so much better.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

Oglaf.1074

How can you say that!

They’re my favourite minor race… after Quaggans, of course.

Do you even lift, bro?

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Well considering sneaking isn’t just visibly disappearing it’s also move silently and everyone but old school DnD players like me have forgotten that part i guess.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: DeathMetal.8264

DeathMetal.8264

It’s a game. Some mechanics works “logically”, some works because “it’s a game”. I mean, can you run and swim and run and swim and jump off the ledges and dodge roll and fire weapons that never ran out of ammo and fight without resting after getting hit and gear that can be repaired no matter how many times they break and that you can be revived infinite number of times?

Some things work “logically”, some work because it’s a game…

Lv80 Thief |Mesmer |Necromancer|Ranger|Guardian|Warrior|Elementalist|Engineer
[Aeon of Wonder]
Maguuma Server

Oglaf.1074

What are you talking about?

I go swimming in a full suit of platemail daily!

Do you even lift, bro?

Posted by: MrMacAndCheese.3907

MrMacAndCheese.3907

Embers are Immune to Burning.

critickitten.1498

Think you missed the joke. Namely that it’s not really bleeding if there’s no blood. :p

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

Hahah this thread got me laughing thanks… they should probably fix these kinds of stuff some day.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Oglaf.1074

Think you missed the joke. Namely that it’s not really bleeding if there’s no blood. :p

How do you Poison them when there is no circulatory system nor soft tissue?

Do you even lift, bro?

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

….ya know, that’s actually a really good point.

Dredge supposedly sense you via hearing and other methods….unless stealth somehow conceals the noise you make too (through the power of fairy magic), dredge shouldn’t be affected by stealth.

That’s exactly what stealth does, it conceals any form cues that give away your location, Dredge are very aural beings, stealth lowers the thieve’s heart rate, calms his breathing and lightens his foot steps to the point you can’t even hear his heart beating, his breathing or footwork.

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

Apparently in this game you can also get blood from a stone. Since you can bleed rock type elementals.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

You can bleed rocks but you cannot set fire to a trebuchet.

Btw, dragons are NOT immune to conditions.

Posted by: Tauril.8504

Tauril.8504

Have you tried fighting destroyers with a guardian ? That’s a nice little chunk of your damage that goes bye bye, especially if you specced for it. And it’s not like you could use something else like an elementalist switching to an attunment that doesn’t rely on burning, virtue of justice is there all the time and cannot be changed.

So before you start accusing the devs of laziness or failed logic and saying this is something that needs fixing, ask yourselves if you really want a game where you can loose half your effectiveness depending on the nearby ennemies. When I see how some people react to the Risen being a bit hard I can only imagine what sort of righteous fury some of the ‘realism’ discussed here would cause.

Making creatures immune/more resistant to certain conditions or damage types was possible in GW1 because changing your whole build before going anywhere was the way to play the game. In GW2, I’d rather accept a little more suspension of disbelief than have to pay for traits refund everytime I have to face a specific type of creature.
So I thank Anet for being wise enough to realize that while tiny bits of immersion are nice, they should only be placed where it doesn’t hurt the gameplay.
There are elements to this game that are far more immersion breaking than condition immunity (especially since conditions pretty much only show up on your UI), starting by the simple fact that anything we fight has to be smashed, hit, shot and cut so many times before it can be considered dead. Sometimes it’s quite ridiculous to see how much hits a simple human can take, yet I don’t think anyone would like GW2 to become a simulation game.

Posted by: Ikcen.7518

Ikcen.7518

Have you tried fighting destroyers with a guardian ? That’s a nice little chunk of your damage that goes bye bye, especially if you specced for it. And it’s not like you could use something else like an elementalist switching to an attunment that doesn’t rely on burning, virtue of justice is there all the time and cannot be changed.

So before you start accusing the devs of laziness or failed logic and saying this is something that needs fixing, ask yourselves if you really want a game where you can loose half your effectiveness depending on the nearby ennemies. When I see how some people react to the Risen being a bit hard I can only imagine what sort of righteous fury some of the ‘realism’ discussed here would cause.

Making creatures immune/more resistant to certain conditions or damage types was possible in GW1 because changing your whole build before going anywhere was the way to play the game. I don’t think anyone would like GW2 to become a simulation game.

You are absolutely right. And the game will be even better if there is only one type of monsters, maybe some very scary rabbits. And if you can kill hundreds of them with one hit, this will makes you feel strong. And no need to change the build

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

Or maybe the players are tired of being gimped over “lore”.

It’s not fun facing an enemy only to find out your main dps is now destroyed due to “realism” in a game with magic and backpacks with over 120 slots.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

It’s not fun facing an enemy only to find out your main dps is now destroyed due to “realism” in a game with magic and backpacks with over 120 slots.

But then the monsters become extremely mechanical and bland, they are just a number : how much HP they have and little else.

Specific resist and weaknesses add a lot of flavor and promotes balanced builds instead of specialized ones and adds variety of situations.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

But then the monsters become extremely mechanical and bland, they are just a number : how much HP they have and little else.

Specific resist and weaknesses add a lot of flavor and promotes balanced builds instead of specialized ones and adds variety of situations.

In other words, you want to say that bland monsters allow personal variance, but interesting monsters promote build blandness?

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

they have eyes…

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

Intriguing question…i have no clue, lol.

And I would like to see some more logical immunities in the game (flame imps immune to burning, ice elementals immune to freezing).

But really, idk XD

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Oglaf.1074

Yes, they are…. somewhat. They get affected by Vulnerability, but I’ve never ever seen any damage numbers for either Poison nor Bleed despite these conditions being inflicted.

Do you even lift, bro?

Posted by: Windwalker.2047

Windwalker.2047

Yes, they are…. somewhat. They get affected by Vulnerability, but I’ve never ever seen any damage numbers for either Poison nor Bleed despite these conditions being inflicted.

They do take dmg from all conditions but the numbers are hard to see

Oglaf.1074

Hard to see doesn’t describe it.

They must be invisible.

I am a still not convinced…

Do you even lift, bro?

Posted by: forrae.6708

forrae.6708

that or people would complain that they dont work against certain things.

i remember other games used to have similar mechanics, water elementals were immune to frost damage, fire elementals immune to fire, etc. people got mad and complained about it.

thugged out since cubscouts

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

As in GW1, stealth is a magical effect, either by clouding the mind/senses, warping reality, or both.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast