Why does the monthly achievement require 500 item salvages?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Clem.2963

Clem.2963

I don’t even….

All of the daily and monthly achievement requirements are things you’re likely to do throughout the day or the month… Except for one…

I’ve never had a problem getting the daily challenge, sometimes I may have to go out of my way to get 3 or so different kills for the kill variety, but that’s about it.

The 50 PvP kills I guess are a little bit out of the way of normal play, but they’re quick and FUN to get, no big deal.

The salvages, however, WHAT???

Before I went out of my way salvaging items for the monthly achievement, I had 23 item salvages (after two weeks of playing and getting to level 80).
I got to 180 salvages before I bothered to check how many I needed for the monthly challenge. When I saw 500, I said balls to this and stopped.

It’d cost like 50+ silver to get that many salvages and I’m almost certain the achievement reward would not be anywhere near worth it.

Is there anyone else who feels 500 salvages is a stupid requirement for the monthly achievement, or do people actually salvage that much stuff, without trying (I cannot imagine why anyone would…)?

(edited by Clem.2963)

Posted by: minikiller.8475

minikiller.8475

The monthly stuff changes each month i think.
So just wait i gusse

Posted by: zogrim.6925

zogrim.6925

And besides, you’ll most likely want a legendary at some point, and for those you’ll need a kajillion materials, which you most likely get from salvaging.

Posted by: Plunder.8195

Plunder.8195

I sometimes forget I can actually sell gear ;-)

Some thought provoking quote

Posted by: PrestonSwain.6219

PrestonSwain.6219

I salvage about 200 items a day when I’m leveling or farming mats.

Posted by: Adelheid.3689

Adelheid.3689

I’ve done monthly achievement, it gave me 20 mystic coins and 70 copper.

Not sure if its even worth the effort, probably just something you get as you play the game rather than focusing on achieving it.

Posted by: Darmikau.9413

Darmikau.9413

I managed to get 500 salvages just doing general farming in Orr.

By the way, I’m a level 80 and the reward I got for my monthlies was 52 copper, 7k experience and 20 mystic coins

The last part was nice, but the first two parts felt…pretty underwhelming.

Posted by: Fiontar.4695

Fiontar.4695

I guess this shows how differently people play. Even vendoring items over a certain price threshold and selling the odd drop that actually sells for more than the vendor price on the trading post, I must go through at least 25 salvage kits an hour during average game play! I never leave a vendor that sells salvage kits with less than two full stacks!

If you try to grind this by buying items to salvage, yeah, that would be too expensive for a monthly. However, you should be salvaging enough through normal game play to get this with out really having to try to get it.

There are a fair number of salvage specific items that drop. If you salvage those and also salvage all the whites that can yield cloth or ore, you should be well on your way. (Wood sells for peanuts, so it’s often better to just vendor items that yield wood).

You can use the cheapest salvage kits for most items, there are no level thresholds where you need better kits.

Posted by: Vayra.3290

Vayra.3290

I’ve salvaged maybe 2k items since release (done monthly 3 times since I got it reset last week and done tons more). If you are just leveling you get quite a lot and wvw gives ridiculous amounts of loot if you’re killing stuff, I’ve had guildies go through 2 mystic salvage kits (250 uses) in a DAY of wvw.

But it’s by no means something you have to do, it’s only 20 mystic coins.

The Unnamed[ThUn] – Desolation
Vayra – Elementalist
Forkrul Assail – Mesmer

Clem.2963

By the way, I’m a level 80 and the reward I got for my monthlies was 52 copper, 7k experience and 20 mystic coins

Wow… What’s the point of even having an experience reward if they’re going to give a level 80 7k experience.

Posted by: zogrim.6925

zogrim.6925

Wow… What’s the point of even having an experience reward if they’re going to give a level 80 7k experience.

You can still gain skill points after you reach 80. So lvl 81 = lvl80 + 1 skill point.

Vayra.3290

You get a more substantial xp reward for every partial completion of the monthly. I think it’s 10% of a level for finishing each of the parts and a bit less for the lower tiers of each part.

Vayra – Elementalist
Forkrul Assail – Mesmer

Clem.2963

You can still gain skill points after you reach 80. So lvl 81 = lvl80 + 1 skill point.

Yes I realise that, I did say I’m level 80. I’ve gotten 10+ skillpoints from this.

What I’m saying is; why give an experience reward if it’s going to be so small and insignificant.

Posted by: Morelia.6835

Morelia.6835

Selling high level white/blue/green items to vendors is pretty much always more profitable than salvaging them. The monthly achievement is there to give people more of a reason to use salvage kits even at max level.

Posted by: AMonkey.2385

AMonkey.2385

Its a pretty stupid requirement, especially considering that salvaging makes a net loss in money. Typically an item will vendor for 8 copper, the salvage value will be like 6 copper. You’re asking me as a player, so spend money on an achievement basically.

Vayra.3290

Its a pretty stupid requirement, especially considering that salvaging makes a net loss in money. Typically an item will vendor for 8 copper, the salvage value will be like 6 copper. You’re asking me as a player, so spend money on an achievement basically.

It depends what you are salvaging, anything that gives jute is a good profit to salvage, copper used to be as well, but might not be any more. Iron/wool and above is hard to make back your money until you hit max level and get a chance at orichalcum or gossamer.

Vayra – Elementalist
Forkrul Assail – Mesmer

Clem.2963

Selling high level white/blue/green items to vendors is pretty much always more profitable than salvaging them. The monthly achievement is there to give people more of a reason to use salvage kits even at max level.

Exactly, I wonder if the people claiming to salvage hundreds of things actually realise this.

Posted by: Plunder.8195

Plunder.8195

Or they use it for crafting?

Some thought provoking quote

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

Just another gold sink scheme. If you use the cheapest salvage kit (15 uses) it takes you 34 kits for the 500. With salvage kits at 50c (they’re a bit cheaper I think) it costs 1.7g for the monthly achievement. Plus it takes items out of the game that might otherwise have been sold to merchants.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Posted by: Valhingen.4957

Valhingen.4957

34 * 50c is 17 Silver in my calculator… ^^

Clem.2963

Or they use it for crafting?

Well then surely any intelligent person would sell the stuff and then use that money to buy more materials then they would have gotten from salvaging.