Why doesn't this game have dueling?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Searingarrow.4637

Searingarrow.4637

There is literally NO reason for this game to not have dueling. People don’t like getting duel requests? Easy, make it so you can disable duel requests.People don’t like going out into the world and seeing people dueling? Well thats stupid since it doesn’t effect them. That’s almost the equivalent of walking outside and seeing to people eating lunch in a park and getting pissed off. But if for whatever reason its such a big problem that it prevents it from getting implemented, make an area dedicated to dueling away from everything else so these selfish people won’t have a reason to complain.

Theres no reason not to have dueling in this game and it’s ridiculous that it’s not in here. One of my favorite pass times in WoW was watching people duel outside of main cities and participating in duels myself. It was a huge social event that brought the community together every single day. I miss that and I don’t understand why it’s not here.

It also helps people test out builds, abilities, combos and tricks, and helps people learn how to fight different classes. I’m ONLY seeing positive things here yet for some reason it’s still not in the game. Completely ridiculous.

Posted by: GlockworK.2954

GlockworK.2954

I think Anet said a while back that they would look into it, but no promises. See if I can find that post/article.

Edit: Here we go.

Eric Flannum

“Dueling is not a core system for us, given that we balance all of our PvP combat around groups of players fighting and not one-on-one engagements. Because of this, dueling is on our wish list of things to add, but is unlikely to make it into the game on release.”

“As far as dueling goes, it’s a thing that we would like to put in… whenever we do a feature, we really want to do it right, we don’t just want to do quick version of it, so right now, duels is something that we would like to do, but we’re not entirely certain if we’ll be able to get it in for launch. However, it will probably make its way in at some point.”

For reference.

http://www.mygw2.com/esclusive-interview-with-eric-flannum-and-jon-peters.html

(edited by GlockworK.2954)

Posted by: Sin.8174

Sin.8174

There is literally NO reason you couldn’t do a search about the topic or post in the suggestion forum.

Orphyn X – 8X Thief – Tarnished Coast
Lady Raevyn – 11 Necromancer – TC
Fanboy- The New Godwin’s Law.

Searingarrow.4637

I think Anet said a while back that they would look into it, but no promises. See if I can find that post/article.

“But no promises” Absolutely ridiculous. “Oh hey, we’re not going to add something that has no negative effects that would make the game more fun and enjoyable for a lot of players.”

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

It’s almost here — will come in the form of private arenas, so you can 1v1 1v2 2v2 2v3 1v1v1v1… So not the contrived constrained /duel you get in other mmos, but full on sparring.

Posted by: Natas Enasni.3260

Natas Enasni.3260

I agree with everything; although I understood what some pve players said about a bunch of jacktards dueling around you. But then it’s like, what about the bunch of jacktards sitting in a mob 30 strong ignoring pre-events for dragon for 45 minutes. It’s an mmo of course theres going to be some jacktards let us have some effing duels.

GlockworK.2954

“But no promises” Absolutely ridiculous. “Oh hey, we’re not going to add something that has no negative effects that would make the game more fun and enjoyable for a lot of players.”

Their explanation was how they didn’t want players to assume the game was balanced around 1v1 but around groups. Doesn’t satisfy me. Hopefully we’ll get it soon.

Searingarrow.4637

I agree with everything; although I understood what some pve players said about a bunch of jacktards dueling around you. But then it’s like, what about the bunch of jacktards sitting in a mob 30 strong ignoring pre-events for dragon for 45 minutes. It’s an mmo of course theres going to be some jacktards let us have some effing duels.

I don’t understand why the whole “I don’t want people dueling around me” Is even an arguement. I go into WvW. I don’t want people PvEing around me yet WvW has kittening PVE BASED EVENTS IN A WVW ORIENTED MAP. What the actual kitten. If they will purposely implement stupid kitten like that that actually has a negative effect on the players around them, why won’t they implement something that doesn’t have a negative effect on people.

Seriously, getting mad because someone is dueling next to you in an MMO is like getting mad because someone is reading a book next to you in a library…

Posted by: Logun.2349

Logun.2349

Give them some time they’ll likely get around to it, they’ll add dueling and gear score and a dungeon finders …. they’ll probably even replace hearts for exclamation marks.

Searingarrow.4637

Their explanation was how they didn’t want players to assume the game was balanced around 1v1 but around groups. Doesn’t satisfy me. Hopefully we’ll get it soon.

That’s a stupid argument as well. Theres no reason you would balance around duels. It’s stupid. People who think that the game is balanced around duels are equally as stupid and should be ignored.

Posted by: Turtlemilk.1064

Turtlemilk.1064

It probably has something to do with the fact that players will scream for 1v1 balance. Like, the Death Blossom Thief build where you bleed → stealth → repeat is basically one of the ultimate 1v1 builds.

Searingarrow.4637

Give them some time they’ll likely get around to it, they’ll add dueling and gear score and a dungeon finders …. they’ll probably even replace hearts for exclamation marks.

In your post you’re implying that by adding duels they would be making the game like WoW. What kind of argument is this? Because they added a basic feature that doesn’t effect the state of the game at all would make it like WoW? I don’t understand… So I guess all first person shooters are the same because they all have guns am I right?

What point are you even trying to get across here? Dueling is bad because it exists in other games?

Thats like saying cheese is bad because it was used on more than one food…

Searingarrow.4637

It probably has something to do with the fact that players will scream for 1v1 balance. Like, the Death Blossom Thief build where you bleed -> stealth -> repeat is basically one of the ultimate 1v1 builds.

And people like that should be ignored… They’re idiots. I don’t understand why this is an issue.

GlockworK.2954

It probably has something to do with the fact that players will scream for 1v1 balance. Like, the Death Blossom Thief build where you bleed -> stealth -> repeat is basically one of the ultimate 1v1 builds.

Well Thief/Rogue/Assassin MMO classes are generally strongest when it comes to 1v1. I agree there.

Main reason I want dueling: So I can better myself when engaging with certain classes. Practice makes perfect. Most people won’t understand what’s going on in a huge WvWvW battle or even in sPvP it can get chaotic and it’s hard to figure out what happened.

Duels let us test abilities against certain targets, learning what is good/bad and bettering ourselves against other players.

I hope Dueling gets some traction.

(edited by GlockworK.2954)

Posted by: Logun.2349

Logun.2349

In your post you’re implying that by adding duels they would be making the game like WoW. What kind of argument is this? Because they added a basic feature that doesn’t effect the state of the game at all would make it like WoW? I don’t understand… So I guess all first person shooters are the same because they all have guns am I right?

What point are you even trying to get across here? Dueling is bad because it exists in other games?

Thats like saying cheese is bad because it was used on more than one food…

Woo there chief….. not everyone here is trying to win the internet, I was just making a joke with a hint of truth behind it, in that the game seems to be conforming to a more WoW like state so don’t be surprised if it’s in the next patch or two.

I really don’t care if they add duels, I not supporting an argument for or against them.

Peace!

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

Edit: Here we go.

Eric Flannum

“Dueling is not a core system for us, given that we balance all of our PvP combat around groups of players fighting and not one-on-one engagements. Because of this, dueling is on our wish list of things to add, but is unlikely to make it into the game on release.”

“As far as dueling goes, it’s a thing that we would like to put in… whenever we do a feature, we really want to do it right, we don’t just want to do quick version of it, so right now, duels is something that we would like to do, but we’re not entirely certain if we’ll be able to get it in for launch. However, it will probably make its way in at some point.”

For reference.

http://www.mygw2.com/esclusive-interview-with-eric-flannum-and-jon-peters.html

Sorry that no longer holds any water as Anet can change whatever whenever now.
I second this and want dueling add please way cool

Posted by: Regizer.1763

Regizer.1763

I want dueling as well, 1v1s is a great way to get better at PvP.

Posted by: Cutterslaine.2689

Cutterslaine.2689

I’m sure Anet will add it soon enough.

Posted by: Deadnight.5948

Deadnight.5948

I totally agree that this game need dueling, it has so much to offer, the fun time seeing people duel, it feels like ARENANET is trying to play to safe about this game protecting carebears. Come on, dueling promotes people to try out build, have an audience watching people duel is really a social thing. I have so many asian players who loves playing MMO but as soon as i mention the word Guildwars2, there simple excuse was,

Not an open world pvp.

Heck, i don’t mind with the seperate idea of having 1 carebear world and 1 wvw world but ommiting dueling? Come on. Give us the dueling system please. This game would be so soooooo awesome.

Posted by: Ostra.3927

Ostra.3927

They will be on that once they bring the trinity system back into play.

Please get your priorities straight Anet.
Stat increase = gear grind.
Gear grind = no money from me ever again.

Posted by: Deadnight.5948

Deadnight.5948

I totally agree that this game need dueling, it has so much to offer, the fun time seeing people duel, it feels like ARENANET is trying to play to safe about this game protecting carebears. Come on, dueling promotes people to try out build, have an audience watching people duel is really a social thing. I have so many asian players who loves playing MMO but as soon as i mention the word Guildwars2, there simple excuse was,

Not an open world pvp.

Heck, i don’t mind with the seperate idea of having 1 carebear world and 1 wvw world but ommiting dueling? Come on. Give us the dueling system please. This game would be so soooooo awesome.

Posted by: Voqar.2349

Voqar.2349

Because dueling is for wusses and MMORPG pvp isn’t about 1 on 1 matchups? If you wanna PvP, go do sPvP or WvW.

Posted by: ShaiHulud.7410

ShaiHulud.7410

It’s actually really clear and simple why Anet hasn’t yet implemented duels in this game.

Because o’ the carebears. Imagine how many whiners and moaners will roam this site asking 4 nerfs & and what not in regards to class ballance and so on …

This is the MAIN reason Anet didnt put duels in this game.

However, it’s WRONG! Because its absolutely wrong. Duels should be in any combat-orientated MMO so I really hope that day will come soon 4 GW2 also.